• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Growing up, I was largely taught that getting beat in board and card games didn't really count because part of it had to with chance anyways. In my family, especially my grandmother, the women are significantly better than the men at cards. Sports, on the other hand, was entirely different. If you got beat by a girl, you wouldn't hear the end of it for a long time and I had friends who had dads who would kick the crap out of them if they did.
If they could not handle a little girl, what makes them think that they could handle a full grown "man"?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Growing up, I was largely taught that getting beat in board and card games didn't really count because part of it had to with chance anyways. In my family, especially my grandmother, the women are significantly better than the men at cards. Sports, on the other hand, was entirely different. If you got beat by a girl, you wouldn't hear the end of it for a long time and I had friends who had dads who would kick the crap out of them if they did.
That sounds terrible.

I consider my community to be very misogynistic in some regards (though I say that about a lot of things) but that kind of stuff is unheard of for me.
Do you mean that the dads would actually physically harm their boys for losing to a female.

That kind of stuff gets under my skin.

Morbi

Scavenger
That sounds terrible.

I consider my community to be very misogynistic in some regards (though I say that about a lot of things) but that kind of stuff is unheard of for me.
Do you mean that the dads would actually physically harm their boys for losing to a female.

Is your community predominately comprised of men? Or are the women misogynistic as well?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By the way does anyone know why today's pick of the day isn't on the SmashBoards Home Page?
They usually update it pretty quick.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of enjoy beating woman more than men sometimes

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Skill in video games is independent of sex/gender. A girl can be as or even more skilled as a man.

Just saying.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Is your community predominately comprised of men? Or are the women misogynistic as well?
Honestly, I would say the women are restricting themselves based on such arbitrary rules.

I was using the word incorrectly. Basically, what I am trying to say is that males and females are divided in terms of activities where I live. I don't see and female gamers or nerds, it's always guys. I don't see any guys interested in crafty things or drama.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Skill in video games is independent of sex/gender. A girl can be as or even more skilled as a man.

Just saying.
Skill in anything is like that we used to have a girl as our quarter-back on our PeeWee team.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do you think girls could make it in professional football teams?

Asking a question, not making a statement or opinion on it

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Skill in anything is like that we used to have a girl as our quarter-back on our PeeWee team.
Impossible.

I inherited my gaming interest from my mother, actually. Back in the day, I used to play SMB and Duck Hunt with her. :laugh:
I inherited my gaming interest from my mother, she was too busy to spend time with us, so she just bought us video-games. It was a great childhood if I do say so myself.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I hope this doesn't get perpetuated as rules to get into Smash just like that similar list by Sakurai.

Can the game please just come out and speculation just die
:(
I think Sakurai changes the "rules" and criteria for potential characters from installment to installment. I think it is foolish for us to even speculate on the basis of patterns in previous games, because the dude does whatever the hell he wants depending on the given circumstancea... We as fans on the outside looking in, try to makes sense or find meaning to his "patterns" When they probably are nothing more than "Yeah **** it let's put WFT trainer in the game!" :laugh:

But, I was more so pointing out that people tend to defend and/or shoot down *insert unconfirmed favorite character* character with on the basis of relevancy and sales. When in actuality it boils to how fun and diverse characters moveset is in the roster, and really should be the sole factor of a characters inclusions: They are fun to play. Not sales.

I agree though, at this stage I am done with speculation. I barely even go to the character thread anymore. I think most of us only do it to pass the time as we wait for solid info, but some take this speculation to a whole new level. I've seen people apply "Shadow Math" to promote Ridley's chances. Like what!? I'm done.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Sakurai changes the "rules" and criteria for characters from installment to installment. I think it is foolish for us to to speculate on the basis of patterns in previous games, because the dude does whatever the hell he wants depending on the circumstance... We as fans on the outside looking in, try to makes sense or find meaning to his "patterns". :laugh:

But, I was more so pointing out that people tend to defend and/or shoot down *insert unconfirmed favorite character* character with on the basis of relevancy and sales. When in actuality it boils to how fun and diverse characters moveset is in the roster, and really should be the sole factor of a characters inclusions: They are fun to play. Not sales.

I agree though, at this stage I am done with speculation. I barely even go to the character thread anymore. I think most of us only do it to pass the time as we wait for solid info, but some take this speculation to a whole new level. I've seen people apply "Shadow Math" to promote Ridley's chances. I'm done.
I am not sure, but are you insinuating that precedent is not relevant, objectively?

Secondly, any character has the capacity to be fun; furthermore, "fun" is subjective.

Lastly, I am not done with speculation until the game comes out. I can feel your pain though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If they could not handle a little girl, what makes them think that they could handle a full grown "man"?
Which is part of the issue too because I used to have severe anger management issues when it came it to competition. I felt like my entire self worth was determined by such things. For example, in middle school, I had the tendency to punch myself in the head and bite my arm until I bled if I did poorly in gym class. Looking back on it, I kind of resent my teachers and coaches never stepping in and trying to stop me, never even talking to my parents about it who tended to just blow me off as "being a drama queen." It wouldn't be until my later high school years when one of my mentors actually worked with me on it, forgiving me after I smashed a $300 racquetball racket he bought me as a gift because he trusted me with it in a fit of unbridled rage.

That sounds terrible.

Yes. It was extreme behavior and it still happened even in a middle class suburban setting. In the place I live now, which is significantly poorer and further south, this is fairly common. I'm in a part of the US where beating up your kids is still considered by an unsettling number of people as "discipline."

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yes, absolutely.

While those who say that physically speaking, they would be at a disadvantage, they have a point, I don't think that is the real reason there aren't any female quarterbacks.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Indeed, it's true. Every company has its milking franchise, sadly.

2D Mario has been milked lately and that's worthy of criticism. But then you have series like Smash Bros. and Zelda that only are released every few years with long development times and each installment feels different from the one before.

What I think is that a game series needs to be given time. When sequels get released nonstop, the series gets a big decrease in quality because there's not enough time to discuss new ideas for the series.

The ones at fault are both companies who don't take risks and the consumers that will buy anything, convincing companies to assume their actual philosophies.

I think even worst offenders are those sports games like FIFA or PES. Every single year, a game is released and each sequel hardly looks different from the previous game, yet those games sell like crazy. People are willing to buy the exact same game every single year. With such mentalities, no wonder the industry is in decline when it comes to quality and innovation.
Wow exactly.

I used AC as an example because for what its worth, the concept was unexplored and the mechanics were fun, fresh and the game was extremely fluid and approachable. Now while the games are fundamentally the same with every installment, it gets bland very fast for me. Yes they have begun to include new elements like sea battles, but I find those games repetitive and not fresh at all.

COD is the same as well, I cant justify buying every one, but I usually end up getting one or two per generation.

And sports games. Ugh. Dont even get me started. Every new game is just a slight improvement in graphics and an updated roster. They try to show new mechanics, but I cant get past it being the same as the previous year. As a result the last sports game I bought was NHL 2002, and I had UFC for a while because it was a new type of sports game, but traded it in soon after I realized it was poorly designed.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Well she was certainly good enough to.
But as I said she didn't get to play in High-school so she went to Soccer and she got a Scholarship for that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Just saying.
I completely agree.

Skill in video games is based not on strength, but on precision, dexterity, timing, and quick thinking.
None of those skills are exclusive to any group, they are Rated E for Everyone.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yes but I think American football is stupid anyways. I don't see the sense in playing a sport where most people's bodies are BTFO by it by the time they reach their 30's.
You could say the same about any sport.
Cross Country and track destroys your knees and ankles, Softball/Baseball Destroys your shoulder, and Soccer is shins.
And Rugby is also 10x worse than American Football.
Edit: as in direct content not in personal preference.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So there are many woman who could be tackled by a 300 lb man an be alright?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I am not sure, but are you insinuating that precedent is not relevant, objectively?
Let me try to answer that with an example:
Person A: Hector would be a pretty good character.
Person B: Hector!? He hasn't appeared in a Fire Emblem game in over 12 years. Lucina has a way better chance because Awakening sold better and she is more relevant.
While what Person B said maybe true, I think that shouldn't be the basis to count out Hector. If he adds an unique playstyle he can be just as viable as Lucina.

TL; DR:
Entertaining Playstyle > Relevancy & Sales
Secondly, any character has the capacity to be fun; furthermore, "fun" is subjective.
Lastly, I am not done with speculation until the game comes out. I can feel your pain though.
True, and that definition of "fun" is defined by Sakurai as he is the creator.
More power too you, not saying anything is wrong with that. But personally, to me, it's all one giant hamster wheel.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I completely agree.

Skill in video games is based not on strength, but on precision, dexterity, timing, and quick thinking.
None of those skills are exclusive to any group, they are Rated E for Everyone.
I would argue that other animals; for instance, a cat, would have a difficult time despite the "E for Everyone" rating.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Let me try to answer that with an example:
Person A: Hector would be a pretty good character.
Person B: Hector!? He hasn't appeared in a Fire Emblem game in over 12 years. Lucina has a way better chance because Awakening sold better and she is more relevant.
While what Person B said maybe true, I think that shouldn't be the basis to count out Hector. If he adds an unique playstyle he can be just as viable as Lucina.
TL; DR:
Playstyle > Relevancy & Sales

True, and that definition of "fun" is defined by Sakurai as he is the creator.
More power too you, not saying anything is wrong with that. But personally, to me, it's all one giant hamster wheel.
...When you said Hector I thought for a second you meant Prof Hector from Gyromite

He was one of my wanted characters for a while, in control of ROB

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was once being called a sexist for saying that the average man is smarter than the average woman.
Well, if you didn't have any evidence for that and just said it based on your own opinions, they weren't exactly wrong.
Especially because it's pretty hard to gauge intelligence accurately.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I was once being called a sexist for saying that the average man is smarter than the average woman.
So you were called a sexist for making a sexist statement?

Why is football the favored sport anyway? Why do we live in a society where sports like football are favored over sports like tennis and bowling? I mean, they're all equally boring.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So there are many woman who could be tackled by a 300 lb man an be alright?
Well, yeah.
Of course they could get hurt but as I said from experience the girl on our team was never injured.
She also got tackled by a 200 pound teenager if that helps my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom