• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I heard Sakurai made Rosalina playable in Brawl, and people got her from the random box at some Brawl demo, but thought it was an assist trophy. Sakurai later removed her from the game for unknown reasons.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Sakurai later removed her from the game for unknown reasons.
Blue Peach clone.

YO!! I wish everyone in the character sub-forum would read this before blindly saying character X should be in Smash.

Factors:
  1. Character individuality.
    1. What strategic options can they have to set them apart from the cast.
  2. Does their playstyle reference and/or call back to their respective games.
  3. Are they fun to play.
I love how sales and relevancy aren't even listed. It's moveset potential, individuality of the fighter and more importantly the entertainment value.
I just realized...
For someone who doesn't have eyes, you type your sentences rather well.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Before someone argues with clone characters, I'd like to add something to @ Moon Monkey Moon Monkey 's post, which is reminding how the clones in Melee were filler characters as admitted by Sakurai himself.

In Brawl (and likely Smash 4 as well), the only clone that exists is Toon Link, which comes from Sakurai's philosophy of having both an adult and a young incarnation of Link. Even so, they set themselves apart when it comes to play style. At the same time, they're both inspired by the Zelda series.

It also made me think of Zelda and Palutena, who use moves used originally by Link and Pit, respectively.

Does their playstyle reference and/or call back to their respective games.
Despite not using the moves themselves, both still reference their original games somehow. Zelda references Ocarina of Time with her Specials and with the new Phantom Slash move, she also references Spirit Tracks, while Palutena has moves from her boss battle as well as using the powers used by Pit (which are granted by her in the first place).

Notice how some liberties are taken with some moves. For example, the Phantom Slash, it was Zelda herself that was stuck in the armor (Am I reminding of FMA all of a sudden...?), in Smash Bros., Zelda summons an armor with her magic. Different thing, but still an allusion Spirit Tracks players will notice. It was a change necessary for gameplay purposes.

What I think Sakurai wants is movesets that work, are compelling, but stay faithful to the original portrayal of the characters in other games.

Even Ganondorf's moveset cloned from Falcon manages to fit with those criteria. Originally, he was a dark warlock with god-like power, with brute strength as well as mastery of magic. Despite the moves being cloned from Falcon, he manages to fit that description. (Of course that I'd like to see Ganondorf revamped with new moves and all that. Don't get me wrong.)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Very true which is a problem in my opinion you should not try and make a company take short term profit at the case of maybe losing reputation and a lot less gain in the future.
Well, yes it is problmatic because it was that kind of thinking in the finanaical sector that lead to the last finanical crash, it's still a continual problem through the financial community. Though Nintendo situation doesn't have the same degree of impact the addiction to more and more money is a powerful thing even in the investors in the video game world.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
http://kotaku.com/pac-man-almost-got-into-super-smash-bros-brawl-1599610742

Pac-Man was almost in Brawl huh? Thats pretty interesting. I guess Namco's help on the game only helped the idea.

inb4 someone makes a thread about this:glare:
I actually knew about the reason Sakurai didn't put Pac-man in brawl already. There was an interview back before brawl released that when describing how he choose characters, he actually said something alongs the lines of "so no Pac-man." (I'll try to find it if you guys want).

What I didn't know was that he was actually planned for brawl...or suggested by Miyamoto. :p

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

I just realized...
For someone who doesn't have eyes, you type your sentences rather well.
LOL! I did toy around with eyes, this was the one that looked the best to me:

I just thought it i was keeping it simple excluding the eyes.

@ Frostwraith Frostwraith Also a side topic: After looking at the whole Toon Link-Alfonzo thing that happened and reading what you said about Zelda; I think the characters in Smash aren't necessarily 1 instance or carnation of that character, but rather an all in one epitome of that character.

So a character like Toon Link isn't necessarily Wind Waker Toon Link or Spirit Tracks Toon Link, but just a vessel named Toon Link who has access to moves and abilities from every game a Toon Link was present.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Also a side topic: After looking at the whole Toon Link-Alfonzo thing that happened and reading what you said about Zelda; I think the characters in Smash aren't necessarily 1 instance or carnation of that character, but rather an all in one epitome of that character.

So a character like Toon Link isn't necessarily Wind Waker Toon Link or Spirit Tracks Toon Link, but just a vessel named Toon Link who has access to moves and abilities from every game a Toon Link was present.
Yes, the characters in Smash are all composites of their other appearances.

Zelda is a good example. It's TP Zelda who uses spells from OOT and summons the Phantom from Spirit Tracks.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I just thought it i was keeping it simple excluding the eyes.
I think it's cuter without the eyes.

One would tell that an eyeless monkey would look freaky, but that art style manages to make it quite adorable.

@ Frostwraith Frostwraith Also a side topic: After looking at the whole Toon Link-Alfonzo thing that happened and reading what you said about Zelda; I think the characters in Smash aren't necessarily 1 instance or carnation of that character, but rather an all in one epitome of that character.

Pretty much this. Link, Zelda and Toon Link are what TV Tropes calls a composite character.

While Zelda's canon says there are several incarnations of Link and Zelda, they share a lot of things in common when it comes to fighting skills. Plus, it's often said things like "Link is the main character of the Zelda characters" disregarding how there are different Links.

If I say that Link is the warrior, holder of the Triforce of Courage and a skilled swordsman or that Zelda is the magical girl, holder of the Triforce of Wisdom and possesses mystical powers, don't all Links and Zeldas fit those descriptions? I think that's the more correct interpretation of their Smash appearances.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
......Why do you 2 have to have the same avi.

I keep thinking Mister is double/triple posting.
Because apparently I enjoy being the butt of many jokes.
I didn't think so myself. But hey, what do I know?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
@ Substitution Substitution @ D dimensionsword64

It's not like I don't know how to read... :rolleyes:
I don't mean you, I mean in general. I've gotten jokes referring to me being the same as someone else. Sure, it was just joking. But there could be a case where someone does get the two of us confused.
It's called Murphy's Law. Anything that could go wrong will go wrong.

I want to know.
What is your biggest desire for 3DS?
The day we're finally graced with some GBA Virtual Console games again.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I want to know.
What is your biggest desire for 3DS and what's your biggest desire for WiiU?
A new Star Fox or Metroid or even F-Zero game on either console.
Star Fox is happening, Metroid is being though about (both good!) but I don't think F-Zero will return any time soon ;n;

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Smash obviously for me... but other than Smash:

My biggest desire for WiiU is a remake of MGS4 (obviously).
My biggest desire for 3DS is a new Metroid that's similiar to Super Metroid.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
People are mad about the comment the Nintendo shareholder made. They should not be. The shareholder has the company's best interests at heart, because their best interests are his best interests. Therefore, in the end, the shareholder would want high-quality products, no doubt.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
People are mad about the comment the Nintendo shareholder made. They should not be. The shareholder has the company's best interests at heart, because their best interests are his best interests. Therefore, in the end, the shareholder would want high-quality products, no doubt.
The shareholder doesn't want high quality products, he wants money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom