• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Never seen Game Grumps I'm seeing.

It's just cringe worthy that he's not following his own philosophies.
Well, that's what happens when you follow a strict rule that Megaman X had the best tutorial and any other kind is absolute rubbish.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well, that's what happens when you follow a strict rule that Megaman X had the best tutorial and any other kind is absolute rubbish.
Well, it's true. Show, don't tell. (Or rather, let the player find stuff out for themselves without forcing them into a confusing scenario, not tell)

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The harder you try to be funny the funnier you are trust me.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, it's true. Show, don't tell. (Or rather, let the player find stuff out without forcing them into a confusing scenario, not tell)
But one could also say every game has different needs.
I agree that simply telling or forcing a long tutorial can end up being boring, especially when it's not skippable (Pokemon is a decent example). But really, Megaman X gets away with it because in all honesty it's not that complicated of a control scheme. But what about a game that maybe needs a bit more explanation, like a JRPG. There it makes a bit more sense.

He actually makes some good arguments but, you're right, after watching him fumble around the easiest 3D Zelda for 70+ episodes constantly complaining about how hard the game was, the irony is too great for words.
My favorite still has to be where Egoraptor snaps at Jontron at that Nickelodeon game. Sure, he could've just looked up the controls on how it worked. But that would be too easy.

Khoru

Smash Champion
My favorite still has to be where Egoraptor snaps at Jontron at that Nickelodeon game. Sure, he could've just looked up the controls on how it worked. But that would be too easy.
the numerous times in sonic 06 where they just ignore the big rainbow colored hint circles and then complain about the game not telling them what to do

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, what about a few months ago when I accidentally peer pressured Capps to say he was wearing ladies underwear in the Shadow thread?
But really, the humor came more out of Capps who decided to do it.
And it wasn't really succumbing to peer pressure. Remember? You made a comment about how people could get infracted for such a thing. And Capps (being Capps) went and did it anyway.

the numerous times in sonic 06 where they just ignore the big rainbow colored hint circles and then complain about the game not telling them what to do
Oi, don't get me started.
Ah well, at least there was Jontron to get us through it.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
His opinion seems valid, but goddamn he comes off as an *******, LOL.
Just one thing I want to point out about the video, I'll summarize one thing :

"SS is TERRIBLE, worst game EVER, Nintendo RUINED EVERYTHING AND IF YOU LIKE IT YOU'RE AN IDIOT YEAH GO CRY IN THE CORNER YOU INFERIOR BEING- I hope this doesn't seem offensive..."

Yeah.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
But one could also say every game has different needs.
I agree that simply telling or forcing a long tutorial can end up being boring, especially when it's not skippable (Pokemon is a decent example). But really, Megaman X gets away with it because in all honesty it's not that complicated of a control scheme. But what about a game that maybe needs a bit more explanation, like a JRPG. There it makes a bit more sense.
Except I doubt the control schemes would be complicated there either! Except if I continue with this train of thought I'm about to look like a complete dumbass. Basically, don't say "press A to select this, this is an attack, it does physical damage that is reduced by the enemy's defence, this is your attack, now press a to select the attack, now select a to select an enemy, now it's the enemy's turn..." instead explain the basic mechanics like how turns work (if there are turns) and show everything else through tooltips (as in item or spell descriptions) and experimentation.
Heck, Xenoblade Chronicles does everything with skippable brief pop-ups and tooltips! Which is a pretty good system if I might add.
EDIT: Oh glob there were a lot of garmatrical reroars hear. Fixinated

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yeah, I wouldn't call that peer pressure. You put out in the open a statement, and I challenged it.

Plus, I didn't even get infracted like you said I would ;)
Thank you, Capps.

Now why don't you go ahead and post a picture of yourself doing a handstand. You want to be cool, right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just one thing I want to point out about the video, I'll summarize one thing :

"SS is TERRIBLE, worst game EVER, Nintendo RUINED EVERYTHING AND IF YOU LIKE IT YOU'RE AN IDIOT YEAH GO CRY IN THE CORNER YOU INFERIOR BEING- I hope this doesn't seem offensive..."

Yeah.
Since Wind Waker, people get stab in the head whiny about 3D Zelda games. People acted the same way about Wind Waker and Twilight Princess but time has been very forgiving to both games and Skyward Sword probably will wind up the same way.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Since Wind Waker, people get stab in the head whiny about 3D Zelda games. People acted the same way about Wind Waker and Twilight Princess but time has been very forgiving to both games and Skyward Sword probably will wind up the same way.
Twilight Princess was also a very good game if the Wolf Spirit Tears wasn't in the game I'm willing to say it'd be almost perfect.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Twilight Princess was also a very good game if the Wolf Spirit Tears wasn't in the game I'm willing to say it'd be almost perfect.
I didn't mind the Wolf spirit sections. The only think I disliked in TP was the whole City in the Sky section, including fixing the canon. And the fact every time you turned it on it told you what each rupee was worth. There were small flaws, but it was pretty good.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
The tear collecting was kinda annoying to me, but I liked running around in the Twilight Realm versions of old areas. Also the giant tear bug mini boss was fun to fight.

D

Deleted member

I have never completed a 3D Zelda. Sue me.

I've played through half? (Can't be sure because looking it up is cheating) of Wind Waker for the Gamecube, but I haven't played anything else. I'd be more motivated to finish it if I didn't buy Xenoblade or Path of Radiance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I have never completed a 3D Zelda. Sue me.

I've played through half? (Can't be sure because looking it up is cheating) of Wind Waker for the Gamecube, but I haven't played anything else. I'd be more motivated to finish it if I didn't buy Xenoblade or Path of Radiance.
The only Zeldas I've played are the ones on the 3DS Virtual Console (excluding Zelda 2).

I cannot do a handstand and I am not disabled. So there is always that! We can be a different kind of cool, cooler than cool, cool as a cucumber!
Daww, but I hate cucumbers...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom