• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I'm tellin' ya.
It's because we call it Soccer. It's the only reason I can think of.
Say, I have a question. Why the need to rename every sport? American football (AKA rugby) doesn't even use feet and balls. It's more like handegg (Or rugby). It's like Americans thought of that name, realized that it was taken by another sport and then were like oh they wear socks when playing the game with the feet and balls so therefore it's now soccer

D

Deleted member

The World Cup has made me really appreciate the Wii U Gamepad; I can play EarthBound while everyone else is watching Soccer.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Say, I have a question. Why the need to rename every sport? American football (AKA rugby) doesn't even use feet and balls. It's more like handegg (Or rugby). It's like Americans thought of that name, realized that it was taken by another sport and then were like oh they wear socks when playing the game with the feet and balls so therefore it's now soccer
Honestly, you're asking the wrong guy. As I'm not that big of a sports person (heck, the closest thing I get to American football is Tecmo Bowl). Though I assume there's some reason out there. I just don't know what.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Why didn't you say that sooner? I'm a huge basketball fan. My two favorite teams are the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Dallas Mavericks. I was crying when Kevin Garnett left for Boston.
You didn't notice I was rocking a Heat avatar throughout the playoffs?

I'm not one of those recent bandwagon fans though... I bandwagoned back in '06. ;)

I was for a bit in the 90s.

Space Jam is such a classic.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You didn't notice I was rocking a Heat avatar throughout the playoffs?

I'm not one of those recent bandwagon fans though... I bandwagoned back in '06. ;)

Space Jam is such a classic.
The Heat aren't a bad team, I was kinda hoping they'd win this NBA finals because they won last year if I am correct. It's just good to see back to back championships every once in a while

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Basketball is actually one of my least favorite sports to play or watch

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Heat aren't a bad team, I was kinda hoping they'd win this NBA finals because they won last year if I am correct. It's just good to see back to back championships every once in a while
They actually would have 3 peated if they won, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. 4 straight Finals appearances and 2 championships over the span of 4 seasons is still pretty good though. Can't be too angry.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I was thinking about the Wii U box art, and I found that it was good, except that Wii Fit Trainer kinda makes it a little worse. I like the character, but she's kinda unfitting wight he rest of the characters. maybe it's just the color palette.
I like the Wii Fit Trainer and am glad to see her with the rest of the gang.. I just wish her art wasn't recycled from the main website art while everyone else on the box gets something new and unique for the box.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Since 2010, TRG. :bee:
Basketball is the one sport I prefer to watch instead of play.
I like the Wii Fit Trainer and am glad to see her with the rest of the gang.. I just wish her art wasn't recycled from the main website art while everyone else on the box gets something new and unique for the box.
This is why I vastly prefer the 3DS one. Original art.
It's that WFT recycling that just massively irks me.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
This is why I vastly prefer the 3DS one. Original art.
It's that WFT recycling that just massively irks me.
It's funny with me. Overall I prefer the Wii U art, but the Wii Fit Trainer recycling really irks me too, which is too bad since Wii Fit Trainer has come to be my favorite newcomer so far, with Little Mac in close second (really wanted him in after playing the spectacular Punch-Out Wii.).
I really like how Pikachu is kind of front and center not just because he's literally in the front and center, but also because his electricity is behind the "for Wii U" part of the title adding a central effect to the title, with Samus just above the title, also creating a little more focus on her. Link kinda gets front and center AGAIN on the 3DS version after having already had it for Brawl, so that bothered me a bit. I like the Wii U box, let's just hope the art is altered between now and release, not that I expect that.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Soccer actually comes from Association in "Football Association"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
American football isn't rugby.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I can't take these videos seriously anymore with Ego himself being so terrible at games.
Well, I wouldn't call him terrible.
But I would love it if he did try to read instructions and not waste ten minutes trying to figure out something the game already told him.

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Just got back from seeing the new Transformers movie. Here's a plot summary

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think Egoraptor can make some pretty good points from time to time, but I also think he is a little too critical on gameplay aspects more often then not.

Also, what was bad about bomb bowling in skyward sword?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think Egoraptor can make some pretty good points from time to time, but I also think he is a little too critical on gameplay aspects more often then not.
I don't know who this Egoraptor person is but how can one be too critical on gameplay? That's the whole point of video games, it makes or breaks them.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Alright here we go.
Firstly, American Football and Rugby are two different sports with different rules and such.
And Secondly, the British were the ones to come up with the name Soccer.
That term was still being used when we became our own nation so obviously that's what we continued calling it.
So to shorten it all up it's YOUR fault we call it soccer not ours.:troll:

Khoru

Smash Champion
i feel like egoraptor tries too much to compare everything to the ~holy relics~ that are alttp and mega man x

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Just got back from seeing the new Transformers movie. Here's a plot summary

"Aurgh... they slaughtered Ratchet. I'LL KILL THEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

Optimus had some rather un-Optimus like things to say throughout this movie.

Also Optimus had some interesting pal Autobots in this film too. The good news is that in this one you can actually tell them apart since their designs are much more distinct. Drift kinda wins it for me not just for the design, but also because he's the only one that isn't an absolute bad dude. The Autobots to me are like this:

Optimus: Throwing away his usual "voice of reason" demeanor in favor of seeing how many people he can kill and how many times he can say "I'll kill you" or some variation of.

Bumblebee: A very foulmouthed individual that throws a complete tantrum at the thought of getting a knockoff version of himself... his short fuse causes more problems than it solves, plus he can't seem to stop swearing.

Hound: Trigger Happy, makes you wonder if he wasn't a former Con, between him happily pointing his gun at people or shooting random creatures on Lockdown's ship or of course his epic slow-mo shot of him going "I'LL KILL YOU! YOU'RE AAAAAAAAAALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEE!" Plus I don't think he ever finished that cigar.

Crosshairs: Incredibly selfish and undevoted.. just sorta going into Lockdown's ship going "Nope, he's not here, let's get outta here" without looking that much, and usually wondering "what's in it for me?" instead of being part of a team effort.

Drift: The only one with a sense of honor and duty.

Optimus not only has some un-Optimus things to say, he also has some rather interesting friends to hang out with. Given the plot of the film and what came to happen, I'd like to just go up to Optimus and go "Knowing what you know now, if you could, would you just go back in time and let the Decepticons win Chicago? Would it have really been that bad if they had won?"

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
^^^^^^^Say that the spoiler tag is for the movie. Spoiler tags don't keep people from clicking unless they know its for a specific reason.

i feel like egoraptor tries too much to compare everything to the ~holy relics~ that are alttp and mega man x
Yup. He pretty much gives the game a title that he makes up and criticized others in the series for not living up to his own standard. People do that with games all the time. "This is what I think the game should be and since it isn't than its wrong" I kinda hate that way of reviewing. I feel like its better to talk about what the game is and how its different mechanics are implemented. Arin also does a little bit of that in his review too. Its pretty much an alright review. I don't agree with it. I haven't even played alttp or oot and I disagree with him.

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
"Aurgh... they slaughtered Ratchet. I'LL KILL THEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

Optimus had some rather un-Optimus like things to say throughout this movie.

Also Optimus had some interesting pal Autobots in this film too. The good news is that in this one you can actually tell them apart since their designs are much more distinct. Drift kinda wins it for me not just for the design, but also because he's the only one that isn't an absolute bad dude. The Autobots to me are like this:

Optimus: Throwing away his usual "voice of reason" demeanor in favor of seeing how many people he can kill and how many times he can say "I'll kill you" or some variation of.

Bumblebee: A very foulmouthed individual that throws a complete tantrum at the thought of getting a knockoff version of himself... his short fuse causes more problems than it solves, plus he can't seem to stop swearing.

Hound: Trigger Happy, makes you wonder if he wasn't a former Con, between him happily pointing his gun at people or shooting random creatures on Lockdown's ship or of course his epic slow-mo shot of him going "I'LL KILL YOU! YOU'RE AAAAAAAAAALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEE!" Plus I don't think he ever finished that cigar.

Crosshairs: Incredibly selfish and undevoted.. just sorta going into Lockdown's ship going "Nope, he's not here, let's get outta here" without looking that much, and usually wondering "what's in it for me?" instead of being part of a team effort.

Drift: The only one with a sense of honor and duty.

Optimus not only has some un-Optimus things to say, he also has some rather interesting friends to hang out with. Given the plot of the film and what came to happen, I'd like to just go up to Optimus and go "Knowing what you know now, if you could, would you just go back in time and let the Decepticons win Chicago? Would it have really been that bad if they had won?"
Oh man 100% agree with everything. I loved Drift. He was a blue samurai voiced by Ken Watanabe. He was great! And yeah, Optimus..what the heck man.

D

Deleted member

Yup. He pretty much gives the game a title that he makes up and criticized others in the series for not living up to his own standard. People do that with games all the time. "This is what I think the game should be and since it isn't than its wrong" I kinda hate that way of reviewing. I feel like its better to talk about what the game is and how its different mechanics are implemented. Arin also does a little bit of that in his review too. Its pretty much an alright review. I don't agree with it. I haven't even played alttp or oot and I disagree with him.
There are so many jokes I could make about this statement being posted on Smashboards, but I have enough self restraint not to make them. For now.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
There are so many jokes I could make about this statement being posted on Smashboards, but I have enough self restraint not to make them. For now.
Honestly I was tempted to talk about how people do that with Smash all the time but flamewars and all that crap. The moment passed so it shouldn't matter. (maybe)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom