• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
This might be a early prediction, but I got a feeling that the music in Yoshi's Woolly World is going to be pretty amazing.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I forgot to post this, but yesterday, I went into a weird thing about tilting the cartbridge of pm64:

Go to 1:34, but warning, you might to lower down your volume a bit because it's weird for your ears...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So, I forgot to post this, but yesterday, I went into a weird thing about tilting the cartbridge of pm64:

Go to 1:34, but warning, you might to lower down your volume a bit because it's weird for your ears...
Oh okay.
MUSIC TO MY EARS.
YOU'VE BROUGHT ME SO MUCH JOY. IT'S GREAT. I LOVE IT- Oh it's over. NO WAIT THERE IT GOES AGAIN!

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Yeah, Big Hero 6 was good but it wasn't anything new. I give it a B+ still better than Frozen.
I'll admit though, for what it's worth I expected it to be more generic. But with what they did it's at least a nice touch.
Though I'm waiting for Baymax to be in MvC. It would be incomplete without him.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
The thread has achieved a higher state of mind with gaining page 1337.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Something I just realized.

Why does @ Space Stranger Space Stranger pick on me?

We're both Disney fans!
Hidden Pixar vs. Marvel rivalry? Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars are like Disney's pets: One came first and did well until and accident in 2011 (*cough* Cars 2 *cough*) and Marvel became more profitable with better releases. And Star Wars is the pet everyone loves but doesn't want him to do somthing stupid.

TL;DR I have no real reason, your pretty easy to joke with. :p
I guess posting on this page of the thread is important or something, so here I am. #1337
Scrub lord, you don't have the Doritos to fuel my unhealthy gamer habits.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
MLG PRO 360 NO SCOPE GET REKT SCRUB!

SWAGGIN' ON EM!

Yeah, Big Hero 6 was good but it wasn't anything new. I give it a B+ still better than Frozen.
U faKInG woT M9? I wiLl ReK u so H4rD wit ma MLG MoN4d0 m8, get R3kT N00By 4SS Scruubzz

U ju5t got f4k1Ng ReKt M8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There's one thing missing from all this MLG stuff.

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I just realized that Sheik's Melee icon looks a lot like Justin Bieber

:sheikmelee: I hate myself for noticing this, because now I won't unsee it

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oh Page 1337 eh? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mandatory video:

Ah, the 1337 Hammer Bros.! Now, that is something that takes me back...

You know, the fact they use l33tsp33k in the English localization is a clever way to translate the original Japanese dialogue that unusually only had katakana symbols.

Usually, Japanese is written by combining three writing systems: hiragana, katakana and kanji. Katakana are usually for borrowed words or to give emphasis, so it becomes weird for a native Japanese speaker to have everything written in katakana.

I mean, there's a noticeable difference between this:
日本語がわかりません。

And this:
ニホンゴガワカリマセン。

Both phrases are read exactly the same way, but the latter is very unconventional.

The phrase, by the way, means "I do not understand Japanese."

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

You know, the fact they use l33tsp33k in the English localization is a clever way to translate the original Japanese dialogue that unusually only had katakana symbols.

Usually, Japanese is written by combining three writing systems: hiragana, katakana and kanji. Katakana are usually for borrowed words or to give emphasis, so it becomes weird for a native Japanese speaker to have everything written in katakana.

日本語がわかりません。

And this:
ニホンゴガワカリマセン。

Both phrases are read exactly the same way, but the latter is very unconventional.

That's nothing compared to Fawful, who has a different tic in every language.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

日本語がわかりません。

And this:
ニホンゴガワカリマセン。

Well of course I don't know Japanese, but I don't see what that has to do with the phrase.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Aw...the fun is over. Back to:
-The Smash Social Thread 3.0 Featuring Knuckles form the Sonic the Hedgehog Series
-The Smash Meme Thead 3.0
-Edge, Eddge, and Edgy Thread 3.0
-The Unofficial Sonic Boom Bashing Thread 3.0

Pick one of these.

D

Deleted member

Aw...the fun is over. Back to:
-The Smash Social Thread 3.0 Featuring Knuckles form the Sonic the Hedgehog Series
-The Smash Meme Thead 3.0
-Edge, Eddge, and Edgy Thread 3.0
-The Unofficial Sonic Boom Bashing Thread 3.0

Pick one of these.
The Smash Social Thread 3.0: We've Stopped Trying

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That's nothing compared to Fawful, who has a different tic in every language.
I think Fawful in the JP version had random bouts of "ru" syllables in his dialogue.

But yeah, other translations have some liberties taken as well.

Well of course I don't know Japanese, but I don't see what that has to do with the phrase.
???

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

日本語がわかりません。

And this:
ニホンゴガワカリマセン。

I have to admit, I only got into the Mario & Luigi games starting with Bowser's Inside Story. After beating it I wanted to know more about the two games that preceded it, and so eventually among other things I discovered the wonder of a boss that is the l33t Hamm3r Broz.

Huh, interesting. I never knew that about Japanese writing. Sounds like it would make learning the writing (not to mention the rest of the language itself) all the more difficult for me to learn...

Also, as a bit of neat trivia, according to Super Mario Wiki, in the Korean version of the game the Broz. speak with numerous spelling and spacing errors, in the German version they speak in broken sentences, and in the Spanish version they simply just seem to speak very loudly, as their dialogue is written completely in capital letters with a normal vocabulary otherwise.

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Hey, I showed this to my friend a few weeks ago.

That sucks, anything bothering you personally?
I dunno. My procrastination has been off the charts. My sleep cycle has gotten messed up big time. My smash bros. performance has been abysmal. Just bleh. Bleh bleh bleh.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Huh, interesting. I never knew that about Japanese writing. Sounds like it would make learning the writing (not to mention the rest of the language itself) all the more difficult for me to learn...
It's not that confusing. Each writing system has their own use.

Generally speaking, kanji (漢字), which is Japanese for "Chinese characters" because that's exactly what they are, are used to describe concepts. They have meaning on their own.

Hiragana (ひらがな) are often used to mark grammatical functions. Some Japanese words are also solely written in kana, though. They have a cursive look, contrasting with katakana's more angular looks.

Katakana (カタカナ) are almost only used for terms of foreign origin. They can also be used for emphasis (like how we use CAPS sometimes) or onomatopoeia (you know, representing sounds). For each katakana symbol there's an equivalent in hiragana and vice versa. Each symbol corresponds to a syllable (with one notable exception).

Long story short, they each have their own quirk, which is easier than what it might seem in the first place...

Except for kanji. Those are a nightmare given there are thousands of them and may have different readings depending on context, but you can write Japanese by solely using hiragana and katakana, since those are the symbols to have readings on their own. In fact, things aimed for younger audiences don't usually use kanji.

Also, as a bit of neat trivia, according to Super Mario Wiki, in the Korean version of the game the Broz. speak with numerous spelling and spacing errors, in the German version they speak in broken sentences, and in the Spanish version they simply just seem to speak very loudly, as their dialogue is written completely in capital letters with a normal vocabulary otherwise.
Yeah, like I said, each translation took their own liberties.

The Spanish translation having all caps is probably to evoke a robot-like speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom