• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's not that confusing. Each writing system has their own use.

Generally speaking, kanji (漢字), which is Japanese for "Chinese characters" because that's exactly what they are, are used to describe concepts. They have meaning on their own.

Hiragana (ひらがな) are often used to mark grammatical functions. Some Japanese words are also solely written in kana, though. They have a cursive look, contrasting with katakana's more angular looks.

Katakana (カタカナ) are almost only used for terms of foreign origin. They can also be used for emphasis (like how we use CAPS sometimes) or onomatopoeia (you know, representing sounds). For each katakana symbol there's an equivalent in hiragana and vice versa. Each symbol corresponds to a syllable (with one notable exception).

Long story short, they each have their own quirk, which is easier than what it might seem in the first place...

Except for kanji. Those are a nightmare given there are thousands of them and may have different readings depending on context, but you can write Japanese by solely using hiragana and katakana, since those are the symbols to have readings on their own. In fact, things aimed for younger audiences don't usually use kanji.
Interesting. Now you've gotten me rather interested in this so I may have to try learning more about Japanese writing some time.

Yeah, like I said, each translation took their own liberties.

The Spanish translation having all caps is probably to evoke a robot-like speech.
l33t speak seems to be extremely uncommon in Spanish online communities so it's not surprising that that particular part of the character's concept wasn't used in this case.

Come to think of it many forms of the l33t speak used by the Hamm3r Broz. doesn't seem to be quite as common in English-speaking online communities as it once was either.

Soul.

Gary Oak is the most overrated rival in Pokémon history. But then again, the other rivals can't be compared to him.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Unless you're part of the elite 4. :smirk:

oh crap we're talking about kill la kill my time to shine

Anyway, it's called the Elite Four for the same reason it's called that in Pokemon.

The four in the background are the Elite Four and the one in the middle (Satsuki) is the "Champion".

And then
Ragyo and Nui
are the true final boss (N's Castle?).

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
oh crap we're talking about kill la kill my time to shine

Anyway, it's called the Elite Four for the same reason it's called that in Pokemon.

The four in the background are the Elite Four and the one in the middle (Satsuki) is the "Champion".

And then
Ragyo and Nui
are the true final boss (N's Castle?).
Kill la Kill was a good anime. The final episode was a bit eh, but the OVA had nice closure.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Gary Oak is the most overrated rival in Pokémon history. But then again, the other rivals can't be compared to him.
Recently bought the complete Indigo League Boxset, and one of the first questions I have thinking things through is why Gary and Ash never fought even ONCE. Man **** Richie.

Green is cool in my book though. There's a lot of problems the anime has, so whatever.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I prefer Silver, honestly.
That's probably because Silver was the only one who had both character development and a compelling story behind him.

The rest of your rivals are basically Mad Libs.
I'm your childhood friend but I'm also a stereotypical jerk / nerd / has only one goal in life / klutz!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Can't believe I missed the the L33T page. Oh well, if I had woken up just a little earlier...

Soul.

Recently bought the complete Indigo League Boxset, and one of the first questions I have thinking things through is why Gary and Ash never fought even ONCE. Man **** Richie.

Green is cool in my book though. There's a lot of problems the anime has, so whatever.
Ritchie is so bad lmao. Ash is also bad. X/Y anime in a nutshell is: Ash x Serena OTP.
Too bad Gary decided to pull an Oak or something, searching for Pokémon instead of battling.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ritchie is so bad lmao. Ash is also bad. X/Y anime in a nutshell is: Ash x Serena OTP.
Too bad Gary decided to pull an Oak or something, searching for Pokémon instead of battling.
I still have yet to finish the boxset, got about 10 episodes left, and then I'll give my own look back, but yeah, Ash is pretty bad as a trainer/character when you think about it. lol

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kinda wish the Pokémon anime would have different protagonists per season
Really only liked Ash during the Advanced series, as he served as a good counterpart to May (who sounds exactly like his Mom, but that's beside the point) and was competent. Though I will give him props for finally catching more than 5 Pokemon and using them on and off during the Black/White series. The last half of the Indigo League Ash only carries around 5 Pokemon, despite 3 waiting at the lab. :facepalm:

Either way agreed.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Hey guys, should I buy special edition NES cover for the 3DS or the New 3DS?

I dare you to write a script of the first episode of that.
Dammit man, Im a smasher/Fallout mod maker/map editor/aura master not a writer!

(I would if I could though, it would contain more victories for certain)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I still have yet to finish the boxset, got about 10 episodes left, and then I'll give my own look back, but yeah, Ash is pretty bad as a trainer/character when you think about it. lol
The main problem being the inconsistency. Ash is a pro one second, then is a complete failure the next. That's not even getting into the cliches typically associated with shonen protagonists.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The main problem being the inconsistency. Ash is a pro one second, then is a complete failure the next. That's not even getting into the cliches typically associated with shonen protagonists.
Honestly the only badges I'd give to him fairly would be the Thunder and Volcano Badge. Every other badge was either getting the battle interrupted at some point (because a gym battle plot can't hold it's own without Team Rocket) or winning by sheer luck (water going off in Brock's gym, or Giovanni dealing with Mewtwo) .

Barely trained for the Pokemon League, and yet he's able to win 3/4 matches (with one being off screen). Which is a pretty accurate % for how many matches were either never finished or were against Team Rocket.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't know how many times he's learnt how to catch a Pokemon. Seriously, get one of his travelling companions to learn how to do it instead of having Ash forget everything whenever he goes to a new region.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly the only badges I'd give to him fairly would be the Thunder and Volcano Badge. Every other badge was either getting the battle interrupted at some point (because a gym battle plot can't hold it's own without Team Rocket) or winning by sheer luck (water going off in Brock's gym, or Giovanni dealing with Mewtwo) .

Barely trained for the Pokemon League, and yet he's able to win 3/4 matches (with one being off screen). Which is a pretty accurate % for how many matches were either never finished or were against Team Rocket.
But what I don't get is why whenever it seems he's about to become the champion, he picks up the idiot ball (or a Deus Ex Machina comes in) and loses. Every, single, time.

Last edited:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
I don't know how many times he's learnt how to catch a Pokemon. Seriously, get one of his travelling companions to learn how to do it instead of having Ash forget everything whenever he goes to a new region.
Brock was already leagues better at catching pokemon then Ash, remember the "I ninja caught that zubat before entering the cave even though not a single soul saw it"? Not a surprise with Ash for anything he does.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
But what I don't get is why whenever it seems he's about to become the champion, he picks up the idiot ball (or a Deus Ex Machina comes in) and loses. Every, single, time.
At least he beat the champion of the Orange Islands League. The one no one cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom