• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
At least Mewtwo has a chance of coming back as DLC even though his chance are slimmer now. He at least didn't get disconfirmed by the closest character to his moveset (Lucario) stealing his attacks for custom moves. (looking at you Ness and Fox).

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
There are two other ones:

The Lil' mac one is my fav though.
Ehhhh, the top one kinda sucks.

They're good enough, I guess. Seeing Mario, Mega Man, Kirby and Charizard in one ad should grab people's attention (if they know them.)

I wonder how the UK will advertise Smash.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai giving more insight on the games' development. Interesting.

Taking his statements regarding Melee characters in account, Dr. Mario was based on SSB4 than the actual Melee Dr. Mario. Of course, he does retain a lot of details, moves and animations from his Melee appearance.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I call uber bull**** on this one since he brought back Doc, a Melee character even if he was alt attire at first
Well, Doctor Mario's moves are based on Mario and Luigi's this time, just like Melee. Whereas Mewtwo, like many of the Smash 4 cast, had to be built from scratch. He just of the raw end of the deal.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why do I get the feeling people are quick to dismiss Sakurai's words as false when, you know, he's the director of the game? Why would he have a reason to lie about his own game?

Sakurai also stated that the abundance of Kid Icarus enemies in Smash Run was due to the team having 3DS assets from KIU. In other words, what I suspected all along. Seems the rest of the enemies were built from scratch for the mode.

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Why do I get the feeling people are quick to dismiss Sakurai's words as false when, you know, he's the director of the game? Why would he have a reason to lie about his own game?

Sakurai also stated that the abundance of Kid Icarus enemies in Smash Run was due to the team having 3DS assets from KIU. In other words, what I suspected all along. Seems the rest of the enemies were built from scratch for the mode.
Well he did say Villager will probably never be in a Smash Bros game.

Look what happened...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
>Fans complain about DK, Diddy, and Bowser's Smash voices for years.
>Sakurai claims sounds DK, Diddy, and Bowser make are they way they are because they are natural.
>Has Bowser crawl on his rib cage at the speed of a moped for 13 years.

Okay, sure... whatever you say Sakurai...

Don't even get me started on the Melee character statement when the nonprofessionals working on Project M figured it out with Roy and Mewtwo. I'm not even a fan of those two characters but I definitely call BS.

Like Miyamoto, I think Sakurai is a genius but there are times where they both genuinely shoot themselves in the foot with their statements.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Heh. If you have the assests, you should use them. I mean, that's less time on some extra mode and more time on the main game on your hands.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
>Sakurai claims sounds DK, Diddy, and Bowser make are they way they are because they are natural.

Don't even get me started on the Melee character statement when the nonprofessionals working on Project M figured it out with Roy and Mewtwo. I'm not even a fan of those two characters but I definitely call BS.

Like Miyamoto, I think Sakurai is a genius but there are times where they both genuinely shoot themselves in the foot with their statements.
Does the Project M team have deadlines to meet, not to mention all the corporate stuff going on behind the scenes?

Does the Project M team have to build a new engine for a new console to make a new game with new features, new characters and all that? As far as I know, the Project M team takes on an already made game and edits it.

Heh. If you have the assests, you should use them. I mean, that's less time on some extra mode and more time on the main game on your hands.
This.

As a programmer, I say one thousand times this. If you have assets and have ways to make more in less time, then do it. A developer's worst enemy is time. Always.

I know what's programming and it's a lot less time consuming to re-use materials, scripts and such than doing things from scratch. The former is much faster and can accomplish more in the same time limit.

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
The thing I hated about Mewtwo getting cut was he was A FREAKIN' legendary pokemon. Sakurai cut him for a fighting type. I don't care what you say, that is not as cool. Lucario was probably only in Brawl because Gen IV was the newest at that time and he was the star of a Gen IV movie.

Well Mewtwo was the star of a movie this gen, and he gets a freakin' trophy. That's not fair. (even though Mewtwo sounds like his manjewels have fallen off and were replaced)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

It's very easy to point at Project M and declare that the situation is equivalent where it really is not.

Project M doesn't require permission from a dozen or more different divisions within a company to get permission to do anything it wants, every costume and every character appearance has to be approved with the original division that developed the concept or the property owner that owns the concept and most of the time not all of these divisions will cooperation on every request even if they grant others request for many many reasons.

What Project M doesn't really match up with how the developer-publisher relationship works in a massive company which is why we often times running into these types of problems that may seem non-nonsensical to us but is a harsh reality inside of a company.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing I hated about Mewtwo getting cut was he was A FREAKIN' legendary pokemon. Sakurai cut him for a fighting type. I don't care what you say, that is not as cool. Lucario was probably only in Brawl because Gen IV was the newest at that time and he was the star of a Gen IV movie.

Well Mewtwo was the star of a movie this gen, and he gets a freakin' trophy. That's not fair. (even though Mewtwo sounds like his manjewels have fallen off and were replaced)
Mewtwo didn't get cut for anyone, he got cut due to time constraints.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Does the Project M team have deadlines to meet, not to mention all the corporate stuff going on behind the scenes?

Does the Project M team have to build a new engine for a new console to make a new game with new features, new characters and all that? As far as I know, the Project M team takes on an already made game and edits it.
But it's comparing people who did it for fun to people who do it for a living. The Project M team built stuff from the ground up too. Yes, it is a matter of priority but if a bunch of high schoolers and college kids can figure things out in their free time, I'd like to think professionals who regularly work in the field could too. Case in point, I feel Sakurai is exaggerating the difficulty of the situation.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the decision regarding Mewtwo makes sense, really. Would you spend the resources that could be used on a new character on recreating a veteran, or a new character who could provide a completely unique playstyle?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Being a legendary is not a valid excuse. And since when has movies been an important key factor for video games?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You mean like Dark Pit?
That's a false equivalence. Dark Pit is a clone character that would take 1/6 of the time to develop then it would for a character like Mewtwo that is vastly different in behavior from any other character in the roster.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
But it's comparing people who did it for fun to people who do it for a living. The Project M team built stuff from the ground up too. Yes, it is a matter of priority but if a bunch of high schoolers and college kids can figure things out in their free time, I'd like to think professionals who regularly work in the field could too. Case in point, I feel Sakurai is exaggerating the difficulty of the situation.
Refer to what @ DraginHikari DraginHikari stated.

Plus, you're missing my point.

Project M was done by amateurs with:
- no time constraints whatsoever, no pressure to meet a deadline.
- no need to contact several different companies in order to get permission to use assets and copyrighted work and all that bureaucracy that goes on and such things take time. Keyword: TIME. The developer's worst enemy.

D

Deleted member

That's a false equivalence. Dark Pit is a clone character that would take 1/6 of the time to develop then it would for a character like Mewtwo that is vastly different in behavior from any other character in the roster.
Pretty much this. Dark Pit costs almost no time to make, and all the assets for him are already present. He has about 7 unique animations, his model is palette swapped from Pit, and they share the same voice actor. Mewtwo would require hiring a new voice actor, creating a new model, rigging it to a completely new boneset, making all animations required for a full character, and then programming all of his moves. You can't do that with limited time, but you can make a quick palette swap clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Project M was done by amateurs with:
- no time constraints whatsoever, no pressure to meet a deadline.
Go over to the PM Social Thread right now and try saying this there.

You will be told quite the opposite. XD

Just a small nitpick. I don't actually care about the topic going on right now. ¦D

Being a legendary is not a valid excuse. And since when has movies been an important key factor for video games?
*looks at the timing for Mewtwo showing up in Melee and Lucario being in Brawl at all* ...Weeeeell....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can I just say that I really hate when people compare Project M to an actual Smash game in certain cases?

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Errr, I wasn't making excuses, just stating why it sucked Mewtwo was cut.

Also Pikachu has become popular because of the anime and movies and whatnot, so there's that.

Yeah guys, that was my screwup, with Dark Pit. AND if we're talking about characters with unique special moves, was it REALLY necessary to give Palutena 12 special moves?

And massive rule 34 material for years to come?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Can I just say that I really hate when people compare Project M to an actual Smash game in certain cases?
It's not even worth the comparisons.

A game mod like Project M done by amateurs with less restrictions and a full game done from scratch done with large teams under pressure and loads of bureaucracy and all that **** going behind the scenes has no comparison whatsoever. Those are two entirely distinct situations that can't be really compared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom