• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Project M was done by amateurs with:
- no time constraints whatsoever, no pressure to meet a deadline.
- no need to contact several different companies in order to get permission to use assets and copyrighted work and all that bureaucracy that goes on and such things take time. Keyword: TIME. The developer's worst enemy.
Don't call them amateurs. Sure, they aren't professionals, but their work is as impressive as one.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Also Pikachu has become popular because of the anime and movies and whatnot, so there's that.
Implying that the anime is the only contributor to the Pokémon series success. You do know that the anime/movies are side projects, right?
And massive rule 34 material for years to come?
Was that even necessary?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Go over to the PM Social Thread right now and try saying this there.

You will be told quite the opposite. XD

Just a small nitpick. I don't actually care about the topic going on right now. ¦D

*looks at the timing for Mewtwo showing up in Melee and Lucario being in Brawl at all* ...Weeeeell....
Well to be fair, the development team pressure has more to do with funding and timeline pressured by Nintendo and other entities involved involved with the project while PM has... an angry fanbase? I admit I don't pay attention enough to PM to know what problems they face but there isn't millions of dollars in profit on the line either.

Errr, I wasn't making excuses, just stating why it sucked Mewtwo was cut.

Also Pikachu has become popular because of the anime and movies and whatnot, so there's that.

Yeah guys, that was my screwup, with Dark Pit. AND if we're talking about characters with unique special moves, was it REALLY necessary to give Palutena 12 special moves?

And massive rule 34 material for years to come?
That's more a matter of opinion at that point. Was Palutena worth not having Mewtwo for? Depends on how you view both character. In my case, yes, I'd take Palutena over Mewtwo simply on the basis that I don't care about Mewtwo. I know that's a issue with my tastes and less to do with the merits of either character.

It's obvious they wanted a character who took a more unique advantage of the customizable moves and Palutena and the Uprising powers worked out well for that purpose more or less.

As for your last point well... that started happening the moment Wii Fit Trainer was announced so it was pretty unavoidable.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
[quote="Frostwraith, post: 17634289, member: 212032"Project M was done by amateurs with:
- no time constraints whatsoever, no pressure to meet a deadline.
- no need to contact several different companies in order to get permission to use assets and copyrighted work and all that bureaucracy that goes on and such things take time. Keyword: TIME. The developer's worst enemy.
Don't call them amateurs. Sure, they aren't professionals, but their work is as impressive as one.
I meant amateurs in the sense they're not professionals.
They're not hired by a huge company and under a strict time limit. They can do their stuff at their own pace. There's no bureaucracy and corporate stuff added to the mix. They don't have to worry about legal stuff.

And the list goes on. All the stuff I mentioned above does hinder game development and I assure it's reason many ideas are scrapped during development and how sometimes clones like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina are the only ways to add some little extra stuff they can.

Seems like some people are ignorant on what's going on behind the scenes during professional development. Development on Project M and on an actual Smash game are two entirely different realities under entirely different circumstances. It's apples and oranges, really.

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Is it true Project M is trying to add characters like Waluigi , Ridley, etc? If it is, that's gonna be a lot tougher than fixing mechanics of their game.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Inb4 people suggest that Sakurai should be replaced by someone else for future Smash games.
The Ridley supporters are already way ahead of you. Go look at the last few pages of the Ridley Support thread and you will see chaos.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Implying that the anime is the only contributor to the Pokémon series success. You do know that the anime/movies are side projects, right??
Actually, the anime is the main contributor to the Pokemon series success. Game Freak and The Pokemon Company themselves even acknowledged that. You can try and tip-toe around it all you want and say the anime is a small time project, but everyone in their right and unbiased minds know that if not for the Pokemon anime, Pokemon would not have been anywhere close to as popular as it became back in the 90s, let alone now. Consider the fact that it was originally meant to be a one and done thing in Gen 1 and then still meant to end in Gen 2 only for it end up being so popular that they knew they could keep going with it from that point on and still make money. Kids wanted the video games and the trading cards because they watched the show. Simple as that. You may have been different, but you're a tiny minority and need to accept that.

It doesn't matter how much you hate the anime whether it's for it's writing or it's popularity or just the fact that it exists. One fact remains absolutely true: If the anime hadn't made the Pokemon franchise as popular as it is now, we wouldn't have even gotten anything past Gen 1 or 2.

And that's all I have to say about that. So how's everybody doing today? =D

Maybe I'm seeing things, but everyone kinda seems on edge a bit. Must be Monday. ¦D

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, we shouldn't be hasty and base the entirety of Mewtwo's regrettable fate on this one and only quote. It's obvious that there were a lot of other problems and decision behind the scene that were kept from the general public, and it's probable we'll never know what exactly happened in its entirety.
I'm extremely confident he'll be back soon anyway, for a small price of 4.99$.

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Inb4 people suggest that Sakurai should be replaced by someone else for future Smash games.
A Smash game without Sakurai just wouldn't feel right. I dunno man it just wouldn't be the same, y'know? Sure he makes some questionable decisions, but his quirkiness, trolling and obsessive attention to detail would surely be missed. I don't think anybody else could do his job just as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Mewtwo is released as DLC, I won't buy him because I just don't care anymore.

Or maybe I'll buy him just for matchups. *sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It just bothers me how he got in over any of the other semi-clones to begin with. Probably because I'm not a fan of seeing characters who are the EXACT same person getting in even as clones. At least Robin is no longer my punching bag lol

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Ridley supporters are already way ahead of you. Go look at the last few pages of the Ridley Support thread and you will see chaos.
Oh believe me, I've seen it the day everyone was unlocked a few weeks ago. Sakurai had bought that upon himself for giving the Ridley supporters false hope with that "tease" in the April Direct.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
More like "inafter" cause we've been doing that years before Smash 4 was a thing. XD

I actually do want Sakurai replaced, honestly. It's probably end up being a lot more interesting.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A Smash game without Sakurai just wouldn't feel right. I dunno man it just wouldn't be the same, y'know? Sure he makes some questionable decisions, but his quirkiness, trolling and obsessive attention to detail would surely be missed. I don't think anybody else could do his job just as well.
Hideo Kojima, Hideki Kamiya or Yoshinori Ono. :troll:

There, you have some troll developers for your own enjoyment. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The next Smash Bros. cycle should be overseen by Tetsuya Nomura.
Fixed.

Then you guys would know what real developer trolling and bull**** is.

Ah, and then everyone in the game would have so many belts and straps and zippers everywhere. ¦D

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Hideo Kojima, Hideki Kamiya or Yoshinori Ono. :troll:

There, you have some troll developers for your own enjoyment. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh boy a Kojima Smash game.

- Initial trailer : shows off all these cool characters and stages. States they will be playable.

- Game is released : These characters and stages are nowhere to be found. They are all replaced with much lamer ones.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I don't get the people who say there isn't going to be DLC. A few of Nintendo's latest games with multiple playable characters (Mario Golf WT, MK8, Hyrule Warriors, etc.) have gotten DLC, and this game just screams something to throw your money at. And they've all been pretty good deals.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Amateurs was definitely not the best word to use, they've been modders and independent developers at their best. I respect the work that they do, even if I have little actual interest in their project.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Wasnt Mewtwo planned for the N64 version? Man, if only he got priority over, say, Jigglypuff... that would be an alternative universe I would like to live in (nothing againts Puff, but I rather have Mewtwo)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't get the people who say there isn't going to be DLC. A few of Nintendo's latest games with multiple playable characters (Mario Golf WT, MK8, Hyrule Warriors, etc.) have gotten DLC, and this game just screams something to throw your money at. And they've all been pretty good deals.
Smash is without a doubt the one video game series Nintendo has that could only possibly benefit from DLC with no negative repercussions whatsoever. DLC characters and stages for Smash 4 would be absolutely brilliant and perfect. Especially if it adds some of the characters people were hoping for in the past. There is literally no reason not to do it.

Which is exactly why they won't do it. Cause that's just how Nintendon't does.

Well that, and because Sakurai doesn't believe in DLC. ¦D

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I will never forgive Hideous Kojima for Snatcher. That bomb prank literally made me go to the doctor when I heard that bomb explode and I put my ear up to the TV speaker.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
"Sakurai doesn't do what I want so he should be replaced."
I remember I saw a post in some flame bait thread, that basically said it's absurd that Character X got in over Character Y, Sakurai is senile and should step down. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

@Warchamp7 Won't let me become a mod? LET'S SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

10 characters rule? LET'S SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

Got an infraction for no reason? LET'S SETTLE IT IN SMASH!
@Xiivi didn't reply to us? We'll settle it in smash!

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Wasnt Mewtwo planned for the N64 version? Man, if only he got priority over, say, Jigglypuff... that would be an alternative universe I would like to live in (nothing againts Puff, but I rather have Mewtwo)
A number of characters including Mewtwo were planned, due to the N64 version puny development funding, development staff, and pure hardware limitations. N64 version from what I understand had a high percentage of planned material that was left on the cutting room floor then the later installments.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
This game has a lot of weird changes.

• No Event Mode
  • 6 unlockables from Brawl are now starters
  • You can play All Star at any time
And weirdest of all, why'd they make Wario an unlockable? That's just as weird as he is.

R0Y

Smash Master
Oh boy a Kojima Smash game.

- Initial trailer : shows off all these cool characters and stages. States they will be playable.

- Game is released : These characters and stages are nowhere to be found. They are all replaced with much lamer ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom