• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
SPM is a game that from experience, has mixed reception.

It usually is because of how the game seems to be too different to be a Paper Mario game. The thing is, there's so much similarities that I don't get it. Tough, it's mostly based on the platforming elements.

Since I played the game, I can tell you that it is a Paper Mario game and it is AWESOME. I got memorable moments on several part of it and so, I find the game underrated to be hated for such reasons. It really is a very good game and the only reasons I was hesitant to try it before was just baseless concern from looking at the game, that is why I praise this game because people who loved TTYD should honestly at least try it.

So, that's the hate I'm talking about.
Oh yeah if you are talking about the SPM hate, I also don't get it.

It's still a really great game, and rivals the other ones. Although I still haven't played Thousand Year Door (and I've heard that's the best one) it's still pretty good.

What I don't get is the hate for Sticker Star. I've watched an entire playthrough of that game and it looks fine. all the main elements are there, they just tried something a little different.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Oh man, I just couldn't stand the gameplay mechanics. I LOVED Super Paper Mario - it was a genuine joy to play, but yeah it was a bit different.

Sticker Star was a victim of being the follow up to already a departure from Paper Mario - with another departure, that a lot of folks didn't have fun playing.

Besides, Mario & Luigi own the portables.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
For some reason, Fire Emblem Wiki says that Heroes can have a max luck of 45, but I have a Hero Donnel with 48 luck. Anyone know why?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

It's still a really great game, and rivals the other ones. Although I still haven't played Thousand Year Door (and I've heard that's the best one) it's still pretty good.

What I don't get is the hate for Sticker Star. I've watched an entire playthrough of that game and it looks fine. all the main elements are there, they just tried something a little different.
No, not sticker star, that is another story because it does not look to have the same elements.

In fact, it's not even a true RPG, it's really messed up. SPM had RPG merged with platformer, but SS is not something that is an RPG. if it is an RPG, it's a bad one because you have not really any sense of feeling progression. And the best elements were not modified, not altered, but CUT.

In fact, if you think it's awesome, then let me ask you one thing, did you love spm story?

SS doesn't have a good one and the text quality lost in deepness they had since PM64. Why?

During an Iwata ask, they said they did not make effort in the story because according to club nintendo survey, people DID NOT CARE about SPM story and so, they didn't followed SPM.

This is especially wrong when AS SOON as I start to even consider buying SPM, 50 people all rushed to tell me that the story was deep. There's no person wanting to convince me to get the game without bringing up the story argument. Not only it became a tease, but that was the truth.

So, you're telling me that it's not bad to loose something being claimed to not have been appreciated while it's the complete opposite?

Not to mention Miyamoto disaprove having a TTYD port on 3ds. It turns out that I know a lot of people that would LOVE that including myself.

Btw, play TTYD. It might be more clear, but I strongly disagree on sticker star. At least SPM looked good...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
For some reason, Fire Emblem Wiki says that Heroes can have a max luck of 45, but I have a Hero Donnel with 48 luck. Anyone know why?
It's the same reason Roy turned bald and joined the circus with his fancy new shades :4roy:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

I don't understand the hate for SPM either, the hate for Sticker Star makes sense though. It goes back to generic Bowser is the villain plot. There is not XP, There are no partners, there are no unique characters with strange quirks, the puzzles are normally so easy to figure out that it's boring, or so hard that you'll never know what to do. The ammo system is dumb. You can't level up. The partner is a jerk with no redeeming qualities. I have the game, you have to play it to understand. I tried to pick it back up once, but it was so boring that I had to stop. There are some fun parts, but not enough.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
No, not sticker star, that is another story because it does not look to have the same elements.

In fact, it's not even a true RPG, it's really messed up. SPM had RPG merged with platformer, but SS is not something that is an RPG. if it is an RPG, it's a bad one because you have not really any sense of feeling progression. And the best elements were not modified, not altered, but CUT.

In fact, if you think it's awesome, then let me ask you one thing, did you love spm story?

SS doesn't have a good one and the text quality lost in deepness they had since PM64. Why?

During an Iwata ask, they said they did not make effort in the story because according to club nintendo survey, people DID NOT CARE about SPM story and so, they didn't followed SPM.

This is especially wrong when AS SOON as I start to even consider buying SPM, 50 people all rushed to tell me that the story was deep. There's no person wanting to convince me to get the game without bringing up the story argument. Not only it became a tease, but that was the truth.

So, you're telling me that it's not bad to loose something being claimed to not have been appreciated while it's the complete opposite?

Not to mention Miyamoto disaprove having a TTYD port on 3ds. It turns out that I know a lot of people that would LOVE that including myself.

Btw, play TTYD. It might be more clear, but I strongly disagree on sticker star. At least SPM looked good...
Have you actually played SS though, I really hope you didn't, it's just... BAD. Like you said.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't understand the hate for SPM either, the hate for Sticker Star makes sense though. It goes back to generic Bowser is the villain plot. There is not XP, There are no partners, there are no unique characters with strange quirks, the puzzles are normally so easy to figure out that it's boring, or so hard that you'll never know what to do. The ammo system is dumb. You can't level up. The partner is a jerk with no redeeming qualities. I have the game, you have to play it to understand. I tried to pick it back up once, but it was so boring that I had to stop. There are some fun parts, but not enough.
Thank you, that is basically this + the iwata ask.

Seriously, read this:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/0

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Characters that start off as Villager like Donnel and Amelia have crazy growths so they are exceptions

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Have you actually played SS though, I really hope you didn't, it's just... BAD. Like you said.
I did not, and honestly, there's only one thing that would make me feel fine of getting it and it's Paper Mario being playable in ssb which is not bound to happen now.

It doesn't take much to realise that SPM looked good while sticker star didn't really, but that Iwata ask...seriously playing spm made me hate sticker star even more.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Amelia started out as a recruit.
They are the same thing. Just named differently between installments.

Start off insanely weak, have crazy growths and will most likely be one of your most lethal units.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Playable characters have stat modifiers that are added/subtracted from the regular cap. Donnel has a +3 Luck modifier, so his cap as a Hero will be slightly higher then regular Heroes. On the same note, he has a -1 Strength modifier, so he'll be slightly weaker then other heroes.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Thank you, that is basically this + the iwata ask.

Seriously, read this:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/0
Yeah, I know. Also, something I forgot o mention is that boss fights are ridiculously stupid in SS. If you have their weakness, then they go down in seconds, if you don't, then you better be ready to die. I mean seriously, I think the first boss had like 90 hp or something. But enough about SS. I have nothing left to say.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah, I know. Also, something I forgot o mention is that boss fights are ridiculously stupid in SS. If you have their weakness, then they go down in seconds, if you don't, then you better be ready to die. I mean seriously, I think the first boss had like 90 hp or something. But enough about SS. I have nothing left to say.

:facepalm:

And I was thinking SPM boss was way too easy...

At least there's SOMEHOW positioning you have to care.

Wow, I hope the James anderson leak is a good new for Paper Mario because it's getting annoying to have it as the latest game...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I just started replaying Paper Mario 64 after watching a SS LP, so glad I didn't buy the game. I could just look at it and tell i wasn't going to enjoy it. the lack of XP gaining and Partners really urked me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sticker Star is my ONLY Nintendo game to date I've regretted buying.
I have two and both were for the Gamecube: Star Fox Adventures and Wario World. Both weren't bad but were terribly underwhelming, especially Adventures since it was pretty much in development hell for six years. Of rented games, Star Fox Assault is the only game I hated so much that I returned it within a few hours after getting it. It's one of the few games I've ever played that made me so disappointed that I was legitimately angry about it afterwards.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ah, yeah, it;s a leak from an IS staff that is already confirmed legit, but anyway:

http://nintendoeverything.com/intel...-unannounced-wii-u-title-on-linkedin-profile/

Unnanounced WiiU game and the leak is from September 2013 so, will be a year very soon. He claim to have credits on some games and it's true including sticker star as programmer.

So far, pushmo world is the only game announced and released on WiiU from IS and he'snot in the credits. Which means that this game MIGHT be Paper Mario related.

I bring up this several time a while ago, but it got forgot in short times. Tough, I care enough to not forget it :)

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I have two and both were for the Gamecube: Star Fox Adventures and Wario World. Both weren't bad but were terribly underwhelming, especially Adventures since it was pretty much in development hell for six years. Of rented games, Star Fox Assault is the only game I hated so much that I returned it within a few hours after getting it. It's one of the few games I've ever played that made me so disappointed that I was legitimately angry about it afterwards.
I've heard StairFax Adventures is pretty bad. It's the only Starfox game I haven't played, and I don't plan on it.
Assault is pretty meh too. I hope Miyamoto can pull the series out of the crapper.

Also, nice avatar. The animation in the Popeye reboot looked incredible.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I've heard StairFax Adventures is pretty bad. It's the only Starfox game I haven't played, and I don't plan on it.
Assault is pretty meh too. I hope Miyamoto can pull the series out of the crapper.
I give it 2-and-a-half Golden Bananas outta Shigeru Miyamoto.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
*CliffJumper crawls out of the woodwork*

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Sticker Star is my ONLY Nintendo game to date I've regretted buying.
Mario Pinball Land anyone? I love Mario, I really do, but this game...
The story, well, it's a Mario game, so it's obvious. The graphics, they were damn good for a GBA game. But that's it.

The controls were repetitive to no end, the music was annoying, it's difficulty is extremely high based purely on luck (and to this day I know no one that made through the final stage), the bosses were complete b**tards, obtaining all the stars with that kind of controls and difficulty, etc.

I felt so much relief the day I got rid of it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
*see legit sticker star hate*

While I just enjoying myself getting 100% on SPM lately :)

And will have to do so for PM64. I forgot a lot of it that I need to replay it.

Because I realised I skipped too much text :)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I've noticed that in Classic Mode's Team Battle 2v2
Your partner is basically a Level 1
Which is stupid because it turns into a 2v1 in your loss 5 seconds later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom