• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I played Hyrule Warriors over at the Nintendo World Store yesterday -

I don't pay attention to numeric values for game reviews (after all, what the hell is the number 8 when it comes to your feelings and experiences? Gross) but I have to tell you, it's a well made flimsy game. I don't really get the appeal of just endlessly mobbing through hordes of enemies that seem to have the weight of a ripped tissue when you slice through them - but I never played Dynasty Warriors either. Seems good for a power trip, but there's no substance there.
I agree with this sentiment; however, my sister certainly sees the appeal. She is a big fan of the "beat-em up" or "hack and slash" genre as is. I am interested as the game promotes local co-op. That is the biggest seller for me.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I agree with this sentiment; however, my sister certainly sees the appeal. She is a big fan of the "beat-em up" or "hack and slash" genre as is. I am interested as the game promotes local co-op. That is the biggest seller for me.
I just want to destroy everyone as a top tier Ganondorf for a change :awesome:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Who the **** thinks a thrash concert would be depressive? Are they mentally challenged? Thrash metal is THE metal.
Dude I couldn't ****ing tell you. It was the early 2000s, and I think that weird group label thing from the 90s didn't break til Mean Girls came out.

I was already going to junior college, working, running the school paper and getting clobbered for fun, I didn't have time or patience for it then, and I don't now with the hipster metal.

Yep, unfortunately my laptop can't download the full version.

Then again, who cares? MARIO, SONIC, MEGA MAN AND PAC-MAN IN ONE SINGLE POSTER!!! COWABUNGA!!!
AND SHULK. YOU KNOW? SHULK.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
So all the reviews of Hyrule Warriors have come out today, with a Metacritic average of 73%.

I want to play it, but I might hold off for later, probably for Christmas. I've already bought 4 LoZ games from the Zelda Sale on eShop that I need to finish a couple of 'em first. >.<

(I.e. Legend of Zelda NES, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening DX, and Minish Cap.)

Anyone gonna buy it?
I already have it.
It mostly depends on how you like musou games. As a huge DW fanboy, it satisfies my need for power trips, and I think they really did a good job on exploiting the Zelda universe for the various movesets (turning the Fire Rod into a giant triforce cannon is oddly satisfying). But it's technically wonky (30fps with frame drops when the screen is filled) and suffers from the same syndrome most first crossover musous have : it's lacking in diversity both in characters and in movesets (Ganondorf not having the Trident as a secondary weapon really bothers me).

If you're not familiar with the genre, I'd suggest waiting until you find it as a cheaper price, as it's still a very satisfying game to pass time. And yeah, go finish those games first, they're all good.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Get your pathetic straw-man fallacy out of my face; that was not my argument in the slightest. My argument was that those pretentious 3DS owners that vehemently asserted that the 3DS version would not influence the Wii U version were blatantly incorrect.
Everybody knew this. Sakurai said it before. Constantly whining about it does not matter.

And drop the tone. You're being nearly inflammatory towards me. I didn't mean to strawman you, but we are sick to death of people thinking that 3DS wasn't extremely special here. The Wii U version was never going to have higher priority. I don't know why people just can't accept that. :|

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
And for that reason, I'm sure it will appeal to people. I don't exactly have a lot of love for Koei Tecmo, so maybe I'll pick it up if it ever ends up in the bargain bin? It's not a completely first party title so it MAY happen.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
AND SHULK. YOU KNOW? SHULK.
Shulk is first party character, as much as the Xenoblade universe couldn't make sense in it they could put him in the Mario Kart DLC with no problem; now getting those four icons from four different companies together, I'm sure our inner childs cried of joy.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Everybody knew this. Sakurai said it before. Constantly whining about it does not matter.

And drop the tone. You're being nearly inflammatory towards me. I didn't mean to strawman you, but we are sick to death of people thinking that 3DS wasn't extremely special here. The Wii U version was never going to have higher priority. I don't know why people just can't accept that. :|
Then why the hell would they draft like half of Namco to get this **** done in a timely fashion?

I also feel like no one is understanding that the Wii U is trying to basically kick and claw its way into being not a massive loss for Nintendo - Smash is a big deal for that. No one knows jack **** about the Wii U version, so all of the desk chair critiquing really can wait until we have a better idea. If it ends up being just a weird smash box with less modes than Melee, then go ahead, criticize it all you want - but remember, they're rolling out Amiibo, and they're hoping to finally have a good holiday season with the Wii U, and their lead sku being Smash.

Who cares about the characters, I want to see the content!

Shulk is first party character, as much as the Xenoblade universe couldn't make sense in it they could put him in the Mario Kart DLC with no problem; now getting those four icons from four different companies together, I'm sure our inner childs cried of joy.

Last edited:

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A

I had the thought that maybe the Wii U could have bigger priority because so many games on the go are usually downgraded.
(Ex: A portable game having less cars than it's usual full selection on a powerful home console)

Morbi

Scavenger

Sakurai stated this before, yet it was blatantly disregarded, I am not sure if you have ever had the displeasure of entering one of those "why does everyone hate the 3DS" threads, but trust me on this one, they are still archived if you do not believe me. It is not enough for Sakurai to assert something. Look at Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. He quite clearly implied that they would not be costumes in one of his interviews, yet we are all aware of the common perspective. "Dr. Mario is just Mario in a doctor's costume! Why would they add him over Mewtwo?"

"Nearly" inflammatory is not inflammatory. That tells me that you are personally offended by the tone, yet there is nothing objectively wrong with the tone. I apologize, but I was not overly fond of your tone either. :troll:

I can accept it. I have no problem with it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then why the hell would they draft like half of Namco to get this **** done in a timely fashion?

I also feel like no one is understanding that the Wii U is trying to basically kick and claw its way into being not a massive loss for Nintendo - Smash is a big deal for that. No one knows jack **** about the Wii U version, so all of the desk chair critiquing really can wait until we have a better idea. If it ends up being just a weird smash box with less modes than Melee, then go ahead, criticize it all you want - but remember, they're rolling out Amiibo, and they're hoping to finally have a good holiday season with the Wii U, and their lead sku being Smash.

Who cares about the characters, I want to see the content!
You can blame Sakurai for refusing to unveil more Wii U stuff. I hate it too, trust me I do.

Regardless, though. They had a due date. So of course they got the 3DS version done faster. Remember, if he had to take more time on the IC's, note that we'd be waiting a year or more just to get the game. That wasn't something they wanted to happen. It's just business sense. Don't make people wait forever. Many love how the game plays, so they only delayed it once. Many felt Brawl wasn't worth the double delay, but to each their own.(that's more SSE's fault for taking away other content, though)

I had the thought that maybe the Wii U could have bigger priority because so many games on the go are usually downgraded.
(Ex: A portable game having less cars than it's usual full selection on a powerful home console)
Well, in this case, the 3DS isn't a full downgrade. At least it will have the same roster. That's the only thing he didn't want changed. That's the key priority. To be fair, SSB is sold namely on the characters, so this is a logical decision for this series. That's the entire reason it was not Dragon King: The Fighting Game, to properly sell it.

Sakurai stated this before, yet it was blatantly disregarded, I am not sure if you have ever had the displeasure of entering one of those "why does everyone hate the 3DS" threads, but trust me on this one, they are still archived if you do not believe me. It is not enough for Sakurai to assert something. Look at Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. He quite clearly implied that they would not be costumes in one of his interviews, yet we are all aware of the common perspective. "Dr. Mario is just Mario in a doctor's costume! Why would they add him over Mewtwo?"

"Nearly" inflammatory is not inflammatory. That tells me that you are personally offended by the tone, yet there is nothing objectively wrong with the tone. I apologize, but I was not overly fond of your tone either. :troll:

I can accept it. I have no problem with it.
I have. I get ya. And all tone is subjective, but despite the strawmanning(was on accident, I admit), I felt it could go badly with that wording. Thank you for trying to keep it peaceful regardless. :) Anyway, I wish people would stop, or at least vent once, then move on. More the latter than the former.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I always find it weird when people list 5-6 characters as their mains and then the rest of the cast as their secondaries. You all keep using those words...I don't think they mean what you all think they mean...

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I've noticed a trend when people talk about the roster, what they really mean is: "This game and everyone who is going to play it competitively sucks because it's not exactly what I wanted." This game is going to be pimp guys, just wait and see. Even if Isaac or Mewtwo or *sob* IC aren't in it.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Well f***, everybody else is doing it. Why not.

Characters I'm going to play as.
smash.PNG

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I always find it weird when people list 5-6 characters as their mains and then the rest of the cast as their secondaries. You all keep using those words...I don't think they mean what you all think they mean...
I think "characters I want to try" or "character like to play as" would be more appropriate.

A main is basically the go-to character, not a whole posse.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I did it before it was cool. *cough*Signaturebelow*cough*

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Does anyone else think there's a possibility that pretty much every character has the potential to be S or A tier if custom moves are allowed at tourneys? It seems pretty much every character will have a custom moveset which makes them S/A tier. If that's true, then matchups and playstyle will be all that matter, which is going to make it incredibly hard to pick a main.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I automatically assume that people who "main" more than 2-3 characters suck with all of their mains.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay; fine, you asked for it. Here are my presumed characters for Smash 4, this list is at the current time and I have not yet played the final retail version of the game; however, based on empirical knowledge (and prior experience), I believe the list is fairly accurate.

Ganon is my main.
Link is my secondary.
Zelda is my tertiary.
Lucina is my quaternary.
Dr. Mario is my quinary.
Dark Pit is my senary.
Jigglypuff is my octonary.

I am not sure about my nonary, perhaps Charizard or Zero-Suit Samus, I always wanted to play them more frequently; however, they had unfavorable mechanics attached to them.

It obviously depends on their changes which I have not been able to completely discern. A good potential denary would probably entail using a newcomer, such as Robin, Shulk, or Duck Hunt.

Anyways, we we ran into a problem. I am using these words, but I am not sure if they mean what I think they mean. :troll:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I Pretty much want to use everyone but the Miis, like even if i have a go to character (Wario), i'm legitimately excited to use everyone... except the Miis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom