• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I just discovered there's an anime by SEGA which stars their consoles as high school girls called Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girl. No, really.

Those are the consoles:

The lovechild of Miku and Ulala is the Dreamcast, black haired Miku is the Saturn, Cynthia is the Mega Drive, humanized not blue skinned emo Rainbow Dash is the Game Gear, finally Miku's daughter with Sephiroth is the Master System.
Yeah, I've been watching it. So far they only have Dreamcast, Saturn, and Mega Drive...

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I loved Mario Kart Wii. Until people started using infinite Bullet Bills online.
But Wii was by no means a bad MK. Great roster, good tracks. Personally I wasn't fond of the item balance, but the same applies to 8. But I mean the board where everything that's not MKWii is immediately seen as terrible.
Kinda like the die-hard Meleelitists.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, I did wanted to reply to this, but i didn't have time.

The reason it concerns me so much is that listening to an mp3 is clearly not the way the original composer intended. In game, well, that's fine (but rare exceptions exists like the music on ssb43ds...the files itself were equalised to work more on the speaker and I noticed there was something wrong comparing to some high quality videos I've heard and btw, the latest direct proved me even more that there was modification in the files).

Though, normally, almost no one should notice any difference in lossless, even for myself I need the wav near me.

Lossy however, I would be very surprised that it can't be noticed. In fact, this is so significant that I'm sure I would notice something on speakers. My pc speakers is already bad so, not doing it (plus, I'm so picky in quality that i bough a 150$ BOSE headphones...I care that much because the sounds is so mervelous :) ).

But I have to agree on one point, yes I'm VERY picky.

The reason for it is very simple: I pay in my life A LOT MORE attention to anything audio comparing to visuals. I have severe sight issues and just to give you an idea, I currently wear glasses that magnifies near ovject with my pc quite near my eyes. I need and I'm not jpking to use this site at 200$ of display and even worse, I don't even have an appropriate sight to get a drive permit! It's a really bad eyessight...

But I learned that my brain got used by having very close attention to sounds. That is why I'm going very emotional on vgm in games like menu 1 because those type of music are even more engraved in my head than most people.

This is why in games I tend to reference more the audio quality than the visuals, but here's a funny fact: Paper Mario is a very rare exception.

This will interest you, but the major reason that TTYD was marking for me in design that much is because of 2.5D. It's a design where you have 2D objects in 3D environment even though technically, everything is 3D, just made to not look like it. This means that it helps a lot my severe perspective difficulty because there's no depth in the characters and object. Only the environment in which I btw can get enough depth. Plus, the colors of the games are very bright with minimal gradients and unified which is perfectly suited for my sight difficulties.

The only other game that came that close to those tastes outside of this series is wind waker, but this one had depth. I however loved the bright green being heavy present.

So, you know why I still love to post images of the game and music too, but it's very rare that I can detail more on the visuals than the audio. Heck I could write a page on we believe in you mario, but not as much on Rogueport design even though it would be more detailed than usual comparing to other games visuals.

This also explains why I like to main G&W.
You're definitely an abnormal case. Having studied about sound formats, even lossy compression is done in a way that the normal human ear doesn't notice any differences. Lossy compression saves memory by removing sounds normally inaudible by humans.

But to even notice difference in sound quality with lossless compression is definitely something! o_O

I was born with hearing difficulties and I have trouble hearing sounds over 1000 Hz. Of course, I use hearing aids to overcome that and actually hear low-pitched sounds slightly better than normal.

In fact, the difficulties in hearing made me have an affinity for sight, even though I also use glasses since I have myopia caused by genetics.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Is that that MK Board where MKWii is seen as the Lord and Savior of all MKs?
MKs? Aren't those the overpowered swordsmen in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? :troll:

EDIT: Just as an afterthought, who here doesn't use glasses?

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
MKs? Aren't those the overpowered swordsmen in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? :troll:

EDIT: Just as an afterthought, who here doesn't use glasses?
I was actually talking about Mortal Kombat. :smirk:

I don't use glasses. Used to have a hearing aid for a really long time in my youth, but I can hear just fine without it now.

And just got lucky in Smash: got 2 new hats in a row. Only 5 left to find and some others hidden behind challenges.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You're definitely an abnormal case. Having studied about sound formats, even lossy compression is done in a way that the normal human ear doesn't notice any differences. Lossy compression saves memory by removing sounds normally inaudible by humans.

But to even notice difference in sound quality with lossless compression is definitely something! o_O

I was born with hearing difficulties and I have trouble hearing sounds over 1000 Hz. Of course, I use hearing aids to overcome that and actually hear low-pitched sounds slightly better than normal.

In fact, the difficulties in hearing made me have an affinity for sight, even though I also use glasses since I have myopia caused by genetics.
Are you sure it is THAT inaudible?

Because I know that wav if sampled correctly can cover the full POSSIBLE range (I think it's something like 20 to 20k right?).

But anyway, I sort of expected you would say that on the sight. It's interesting how the brain get used to those issues by improving another senses. Heck, blind people may have a way better hearing or touching.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just noticed; there's a "True Blue Warrior" and an "Azure Warrior" here.
...what the Hell?
Did somebody call for me?

Nightmare is known as the Azure Knight in Soul Calibur.

Oh, and there's the guys from .hack: the Three Azure Knights.

Hmm... we just need another Azure person to complete the trio.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've got a funny story for you Girl Scouts.

So it's really starting to get cold up here, so I decided to play goose and drive to my BioLab instead of walking.

Afterwards i went on a bus to the super market and back. When I was about to get off at my stop, the man who was sitting right behind me pulls the biggest fart I've ever heard. I was completely grossed out at first, but then I noticed everybody else starts to make the move as if they're getting off. I got off first and watched the people rush recklessly to get off the bus.

Then I start getting some prank calls on my phone with people saying "Hello! Is Franklin there?" "Allo, Es Franklin there?" "Hey, is Franklin at home?" I get a call back an hour later and they're like "Hello, this is Franklin. Any messages?"

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Then I start getting some prank calls on my phone with people saying "Hello! Is Franklin there?" "Allo, Es Franklin there?" "Hey, is Franklin at home?" I get a call back an hour later and they're like "Hello, this is Franklin. Any messages?"
I remember you telling about being prank called before. Is that possible?

Soul.

So um, if you transfer a custom character from the 3DS version to the Wii U version, do you get the custom moves themselves? Because I really doubt it.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
How about this?
View attachment 28994

They weren't from Atlanta and Boston area codes though.
Yeah, okay, I just remember you saying something like that as well a couple of months ago. No idea why I remembered that, but I always remember the most useless stuff while forgetting stuff that can actually get you somewhere. But I'm not alone in that.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Yeah, okay, I just remember you saying something like that as well a couple of months ago. No idea why I remembered that, but I always remember the most useless stuff while forgetting stuff that can actually get you somewhere. But I'm not alone in that.
Like the time I mentioned how my dad views Vuvuzelas?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Are you sure it is THAT inaudible?

Because I know that wav if sampled correctly can cover the full POSSIBLE range (I think it's something like 20 to 20k right?).
Yeah, the hearing range of a normal human is 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

About lossy compression, I quote Wikipedia:
The innovation of lossy audio compression was to use psychoacoustics to recognize that not all data in an audio stream can be perceived by the human auditory system. Most lossy compression reduces perceptual redundancy by first identifying perceptually irrelevant sounds, that is, sounds that are very hard to hear. Typical examples include high frequencies or sounds that occur at the same time as louder sounds. Those sounds are coded with decreased accuracy or not at all.
Lossy compression is used in practically everything. It's usually far more efficient when it comes to memory saving than lossless compression.

But anyway, I sort of expected you would say that on the sight. It's interesting how the brain get used to those issues by improving another senses. Heck, blind people may have a way better hearing or touching.
Well, I have both movement and hearing difficulties since birth, but I'm seen as smarter than most people.

The brain does compensate lack of certain skills by improving others. This is a fact.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992