• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I only say Gen 1 has bad designs because it's the unpopular thing to do. If it wasn't, however, my vote goes to Gen 5.
So we agree on that. Gen 5's designs were freakish... Scraggy, Trubbish, the Gothita line, Foongus... oh my. EDIT: And Stunfisk. Eugh.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I gotta agree, the first generation of a game series is usually the worst, especially for Pokemon.
If we count Nintendo, sure, but other game series, especially popular, are usually much better the first or second time around they appear.

I mean youre a Sonic fan, you should know :p

Also I share the sentiment of Gen 5 prolly being the worst when it comes to designs.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Gen 2 all the way.

As for the Pokemon breeding topic a while back, I kind of got pulled into it through the hidden ability craze in Gen 5 where I started gathering as many hidden abilities as I possibly could through breeding what people didn't have yet and trading them for some I didn't have. This eventually resulted in my demise in Gen 6 when Friend Safaris happened and there were more HA's than I could keep up with... I have over 100 unique HA's. I've bred a few 4-5 IV Pokemon too, but I'm literally drowning in HA's... though I suppose the only ones truly desirable now are the Gen 5 exclusives and the ones with a competitive hidden ability.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Aw man I missed the anime talks
Don't worry. This is the smash 4 social thread. There will always be people talking about anime. Talking about how bad Sword Art Online is. Talking about how good Full Metal Alchemist is. Talking about Madoka. Talking about how no one has seen Clannad yet.......

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
If we count Nintendo, sure, but other game series, especially popular, are usually much better the first or second time around they appear.

Also I share the sentiment of Gen 5 prolly being the worst when it comes to designs.
Gen Zoroark 5 Serperior had (did I mention Zoroark yet?) it's gems though.

Don't worry. This is the smash 4 social thread. There will always be people talking about anime. Talking about how bad Sword Art Online is. Talking about how good Full Metal Alchemist is. Talking about Madoka. Talking about how no one has seen Clannad yet.......
Cap'n Clannad strikes again. I told you I started it lol, I just don't like spending time watching anime. I read fast, so I prefer the manga adaptations if there is one. There are exceptions though, if I reeeeally like it, I'll watch it.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
I never liked Kotaku honestly. Had some amazingly bad articles long before any of this drama started.

Gen Zoroark 5 Serperior had (did I mention Zoroark yet?) it's gems though.
Yea, like I said, every gen has some really good designs, just overall the previous gens had much better overall track record.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

I got this 0 to death yesterday
Chreest your Palutena still scares me. I have nightmares about what happened to my Kirby. Combine that with Pranked Chreest and you've got a nightmare concoction.

I never liked Kotaku honestly. Had some amazingly bad articles long before any of this drama started.

Yea, like I said, every gen has some really good designs, just overall the previous gens had much better overall track record.
Oh yes of course. Sorry I didn't read upwards.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, I lied. Gen 1 isn't so bad. There are a few stupid ones like Muk, Mr. Mime, Eggsecute, Tangela and Parasect, but I swear they stopped trying when they made some of Unova's Pokes. And that's coming from a huge fan of Gen 5.

I mean, seriously. I'm not even talking about Trubbish, either.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Sonic is actually the same way, only Sonic's start is nowhere near as infamous as Pokemon's. Pokemon's start was a garbage truck compared to what they are now, and Sonic's start was Silver Medal material compared to now, and it just kept getting better until the extremely glitchy Sonic 06, but things got better after that.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Actually, I lied. Gen 1 isn't so bad. There are a few stupid ones like Muk, Mr. Mime, Eggsecute, Tangela and Parasect, but I swear they stopped trying when they made some of Unova's Pokes. And that's coming from a huge fan of Gen 5.

I mean, seriously. I'm not even talking about Trubbish, either.
u mean like the ice cream Pokemon. but in all seriousness all generations have there terrible Pokemon in them.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
Sonic is actually the same way, only Sonic's start is nowhere near as infamous as Pokemon's. Pokemon's start was a garbage truck compared to what they are now, and Sonic's start was Silver Medal material compared to now, and it just kept getting better until the extremely glitchy Sonic 06, but things got better after that.
....Pokemon, an infamous start..... you know Cliffy, you just say the darndest things sometimes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have. And I never thought I'd cry like I did.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
To be fair, I am aware that it wasn't infamous back then, but now it's dump truck material now that we have Fire Red and Leaf Green that never lose the ability to save your game.
Well, I mean, the emulated versions still work perfectly. And I think my Yellow still saves no problem last time I checked it few months back, so I dunno.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I'm one of the few people who actually likes the Trubbish-line.

And poor Amy.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
....and then we have THIS thing

It sums up my problems with most modern pokemon quite nicely.... though Gen 6 was a return to form, and ironicaly was a huge gen 1 fanservice, what are the friggin odds.

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Pokemon designs, huh? Well in all honesty I don't think there has been an increase or decrease in quality between gens. It's subjective which Pokemon one likes and doesn't like, I for one love the "ice cream pokemon" and the "trash bag" pokemon. I don't think the argument that gen 1 has unimaginative pokemon is valid, as it's clear they were basing their designs on real life, see seel, krabby and Pidgey. Gen 5 is not without fantastic pokemon either, my favourite gen overall purely on the new Pokemon basis. Each gen has a unique style and I can understand why people dislike one gen for its pokemon, but I'm not one of those. I only really dislike pokemon that are useless in battle or ones that don't reach their potential. The ones that come in for criticism like the "key chain" pokemon I actually really like as I can appreciate the design, and Klefki is also kick-a** in battle as well. As far as I'm concerned keep the unimagination coming!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm one of the few people who actually likes the Trubbish-line.

And poor Amy.
I better the later was because she's not playable in Shattered Crystal. Classic blind Amy hate from average modern Sonic fan never fails to amuse me. :troll:

splat

Smash Lord
....and then we have THIS thing

It sums up my problems with most modern pokemon quite nicely.... though Gen 6 was a return to form, and ironicaly was a huge gen 1 fanservice, what are the friggin odds.
What's the problem with Druddigon? It's one of my favorites from generation 5, it's shiny colors are swell too.

The biggest problem with generation 5, in my book, was that almost 2/3rds of the entire dex was made up of Pokémon that shared a concept with older Pokémon. Druddigon is one of the original concepts.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
What's the problem with Druddigon? It's one of my favorites from generation 5, it's shiny colors are swell too.

The biggest problem with generation 5, in my book, was that almost 2/3rds of the entire dex was made up of Pokémon that shared a concept with older Pokémon. Druddigon is one of the original concepts.
My biggest problem with new pokemon, outside of re-used concepts like you mentioned, is the way they are made.

Most gen 1 and 2 pokemon have a solid design going for them, simple and memorable, based on an existing animal (or a combination of one with something, like mashinery), has a leading colour thats subdued enough to not look ridiculous, basicaly, they looks like they could exist in an actual eco-system.

Druddigon here is just a mess of random shapes and bright colours. So many new pokemon are now just a bunch of squares and triangles and circles with ultra-shiny reds and blues and yellows in a vague shape of an animal, like its a Picasso painting without intending to be one (and even THEN that idea was already used much better on Porygon). Either that or its a re-used idea, like another bird pokemon, or another moth. There are some good ones, sure, but so many of them just look so friggin ugly, ugh.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
My biggest problem with new pokemon, outside of re-used concepts like you mentioned, is the way they are made.

Most gen 1 and 2 pokemon have a solid design going for them, simple and memorable, based on an existing animal (or a combination of one with something, like mashinery), has a leading colour thats subdued enough to not look ridiculous, basicaly, they looks like they could exist in an actual eco-system.

Druddigon here is just a mess of random shapes and bright colours. So many new pokemon are now just a bunch of squares and triangles and circles with ultra-shiny reds and blues and yellows in a vague shape of an animal, like its a Picasso painting without intending to be one (and even THEN that idea was already used much better on Porygon). Either that or its a re-used idea, like another bird pokemon, or another moth. There are some good ones, sure, but so many of them just look so friggin ugly, ugh.
You got a problem with blue and yellow?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

There's always a bird pokemon. It's not anything surprising. You could criticize pretty much any other gen for that.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

That's your opinion, but every generation of Pokemon had bad desing. One could say that Gen 1 and 2 had bad desing because most of the pokemons were based on real life animals and so aren't original. An other one could also say that Gen 5 was the best because it was original and gave the series some air. That's just opinions.

But I have to admit, Gen 5 is my least favorite game of the franchise, followed by Gen 1. I could explain why, but that would take too much time.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
That's your opinion, but every generation of Pokemon had bad desing. One could say that Gen 1 and 2 had bad desing because most of the pokemons were based on real life animals and so aren't original. An other one could also say that Gen 5 was the best because it was original and gave the series some air. That's just opinions.

But I have to admit, Gen 5 is my least favorite game of the franchise, followed by Gen 1. I could explain why, but that would take too much time.
Gen 5 is my favorite, personally.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader

True, people have different tastes after all. Thats just how I see things.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
You got a problem with blue and yellow?
Not necessarly, as long as it doesnt go overboard (Lucario is alright in my book, except maybe for the random spikes)
There's always a bird pokemon. It's not anything surprising. You could criticize pretty much any other gen for that.
And I do :p We have waaay too many Pidgey look-alikes. I mean at least make it a difrerent bird, like Gen 3 actually gets props from me for at least using a seagull and a pelican for the Wingull tree, but enough is enough.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
God, I can't deal with people playing Ness ! I just keep losing to those. I don't know why, but for me apparently, Ness shouldn't be that difficult to beat sometimes. His mobility is too good for my Dr.Mario and even when I'm playing super defensively, I just lose like an idiot. Any tips for dealing with Ness a little bit better guys ?

My preference is Generation 4. Great music, great characters, great lore, great Pokes.
Lucario, Weavile, and Magnezone and my ****ing bros.
Yeah, Gen 4 was my first Pokemon game ! And I'm still having nightmares of the Garchomp of Cynthia. Couldn't defeat it when I was a kid. I was dumb at the time.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
My preference is Generation 4. Great music, great characters, great lore, great Pokes.
Lucario, Weavile, and Magnezone and my ****ing bros.
Gen 4 is actually my least favorite. Not a great fan of the designs, I like Torterra and Hippopotas, but the rest are meh. Not a fan of the gameplay speed as well, but heard that got fixed in Platinum, which I never played.

Not necessarly, as long as it doesnt go overboard (Lucario is alright in my book, except maybe for the random spikes)

And I do :p We have waaay too many Pidgey look-alikes. I mean at least make it a difrerent bird, like Gen 3 actually gets props from me for at least using a seagull and a pelican for the Wingull tree, but enough is enough.
Taillow is the Pidgey of gen 3, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom