• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
My preference is Generation 4. Great music, great characters, great lore, great Pokes.
Lucario, Weavile, and Magnezone and my ****ing bros.
I like Gen 4. Lots of cool Pokeymen. I also like how story-wise the stakes ware raised like they never ware raised before with time and space themselves being in danger, and you even got to learn about the God of the Pokemon universe.
Taillow is the Pidgey of gen 3, though.
I know, I know, just using it as an example of how they could have been doing it in the first place.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
There's like 700 Pokemon, not every one of them can be original. But I truly hope with incoming gens they don't just crap out 100+ new Pokemon, just for the sake of bringing out new Pokemon. I like what X&Y did, they only introduced like 50 new Pokemon.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Not necessarly, as long as it doesnt go overboard (Lucario is alright in my book, except maybe for the random spikes)

And I do :p We have waaay too many Pidgey look-alikes. I mean at least make it a difrerent bird, like Gen 3 actually gets props from me for at least using a seagull and a pelican for the Wingull tree, but enough is enough.
Do you like it because it's a seagull, or because it's not a pigeon? If it's the latter, then that argument could be used for any gen.
Also, Gen 3 still had Tailow as its main bird pokemon, so...
There's like 700 Pokemon, not every one of them can be original. But I truly hope with incoming gens they don't just crap out 100+ new Pokemon, just for the sake of bringing out new Pokemon. I like what X&Y did, they only introduced like 50 new Pokemon.
69/72 to be exact.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
My biggest problem with new pokemon, outside of re-used concepts like you mentioned, is the way they are made.

Most gen 1 and 2 pokemon have a solid design going for them, simple and memorable, based on an existing animal (or a combination of one with something, like mashinery), has a leading colour thats subdued enough to not look ridiculous, basicaly, they looks like they could exist in an actual eco-system.
Agreed with you, for the most part - especially on the eco-system. I guess that may explain my preference for generation 3, I always felt that the choices in the dex portrayed their respective locations really well. I know generation 3 had a fair amount of random animals with a type slapped onto them, but I felt it worked.
There's always exceptions to the rule - both in early generation designs and "later" generation designs (generation 6 is completely different from the "later" generations, most of the designs in this generation are pretty awesome in my book).

Druddigon here is just a mess of random shapes and bright colours. So many new pokemon are now just a bunch of squares and triangles and circles with ultra-shiny reds and blues and yellows in a vague shape of an animal, like its a Picasso painting without intending to be one (and even THEN that idea was already used much better on Porygon). Either that or its a re-used idea, like another bird pokemon, or another moth. There are some good ones, sure, but so many of them just look so friggin ugly, ugh.
Personally, I feel like Druddigon is one of those exceptions mentioned above. See, everything about Druddigon screams "don't touch me or you'll be in a world of pain" to me - from its abilities Rough Skin and Sheer Force to his palette. The amount of spikes on him speak for themselves and fit in pretty well with that particular idea. His bright colors (both its normal palette as its shiny one) remind me of real-life poisonous frogs - who use their bright colors to scare off predators, signaling them that they are not to be messed with.

I can understand if people don't like particular Pokémon but I don't know, I feel like Druddigon is one of the few Pokémon in generation 5 with an actual idea behind it.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Do you like it because it's a seagull, or because it's not a pigeon? If it's the latter, then that argument could be used for any gen.
Also, Gen 3 still had Tailow as its main bird pokemon, so...
Like mentioned before, I mostly used it as an example of how they could have been doing things. And I never said I had a problem with non Pidgey-like bird pokemon, maybe I should have been more specific.

Last edited:

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
I think gen 7 will actually give us quite a few new pokemon. It probably won't reach the 150+ that gen 1 and 5 gave, but I think it's almost certain to be at least 120+. X/Y only gave us 72 because they had to prioritise getting a running 3D model for the 600 odd pokemon before gen 6. Now that that has been done, they have a lot of potential to go crazy, especially if they utilise the New 3DSes increased capabilities. It will be interesting to see how many new megas we get, around 30 with X/Y, another 20+ with ORAS, they could go crazy there as well and give us like 50-75 megas, especially now that the gen 5 pokemon are well established, and pokemon like mega Bisharp, Hyridgeon, Beartic, Vaniluxe (lol) are some that come to mind as pokemon I'd love to mega evolve. I'll play the s*** out of ORAS, but I can't wait for gen 7, whenever it arrives :)

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Not necessarly, as long as it doesnt go overboard (Lucario is alright in my book, except maybe for the random spikes)

And I do :p We have waaay too many Pidgey look-alikes. I mean at least make it a difrerent bird, like Gen 3 actually gets props from me for at least using a seagull and a pelican for the Wingull tree, but enough is enough.
Spikes are not so bad. Whats not to like about anti-hug/weaponized hugging tools?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the only reason they added so few Pokémon is because they were busy dishing out Mega Evolutions.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I think the only reason they added so few Pokémon is because they were busy dishing out Mega Evolutions.
I'm completely fine with a small amount of new pokes per gen. Mega evos are awesome, and a way to give older pokemon a turn in the spotlight. Now we just need Mega Zoroark. Eat your heart out Flygon
I agree but that stage doesn't show it off that well.
Yeah, the high-quality modern graphics of 75m really emphasizes how great the Wii U version's visuals can be.
:laugh: I wasn't even paying attention to the stage, I was looking how awesome Kirby and Bowser looked.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I'd like the return of regular evolutions, instead of mega evolutions being the new status quo.

They are basically the same thing except one is overpowered and temporary.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Watching a documentary on mating/sex in Animal Behavior and they'll serve us chocolate in the end. Considering what effects chocolate normally give you and how they would serve them on Valentines Day, it is highly ironic. :troll:

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
It really makes me wonder how many people who say they hate Gen 5 actually played both BW and B2W2.

I can agree, BW left a lot of things to be desired (I felt it was actually quite shallow), but B2W2 made up for all of that and way, way more.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
It really makes me wonder how many people who say they hate Gen 5 actually played both BW and B2W2.

I can agree, BW left a lot of things to be desired (I felt it was actually quite shallow), but B2W2 made up for all of that and way, way more.
The postgame in B2/W2 was so good. Black Tower, White Treehollow, PWT...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I didn't really like Gen 5. The overall Pokémon were alright, but I didn't like the region at all.

PWT is what kept me playing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How about some Smash U gameplay...
IN 60 FPS!
Keep in mind that I think that 60 FPS YouTube videos only work in Chrome currently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Apparently, bonobos are one of the few animal species that elicit homosexual behavior other than humans. Also, they are much more peaceful than chimps and domestic violence is less of an issue.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Pit (Eggplant) Trophy Description: "Let's squash a misconception right now- there is nothing worse than being turned into an eggplant. Just lettuce tell you, being hit by an eggplant bomb is humiliating. It leafs you without mushroom to maneuver and also makes you the laughing stalk of all your friends."

I- I can't, I just, I- But- And- AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Pit (Eggplant) Trophy Description: "Let's squash a misconception right now- there is nothing worse than being turned into an eggplant. Just lettuce tell you, being hit by an eggplant bomb is humiliating. It leafs you without mushroom to maneuver and also makes you the laughing stalk of all your friends."

I- I can't, I just, I- But- And- AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!
I don't know how, but I have a feeling Chuggaaconroy was involved in the making of that description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom