• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

Kids these days....
Right, so who asked for Corrin, then? Bayonetta wasn't even the biggest request, I know for a fact that Wolf was way bigger and Bayo doesn't even sell as much as Splatoon, either. Adding in K.Rool and the other big characters is just salt in the wound.

You know who casual people are going to vote for if they even vote for anybody? Shrek. Goku. Whatever characters they damn well feel like. Certainly not an obscure character with only 2 games that aren't selling extremely great. People would vote for characters they look on fondly and want to see in Smash, and I seriously doubt Bayonetta was in the position to be a "winner" if her games aren't selling like hotcakes. I cannot believe that Bayonetta had an overwhelming majority of support, and I cannot believe that she was the most feasible of all the newcomers. Wolf is just as, if not even more feasible and popular.

Again, she's not nearly as popular and has not nearly the amount of demand as Wolf, K.Rool, Inkling, Dixie Kong or any of the other big-name picks worldwide. And just because we're getting new content doesn't ****ing mean we need to take it like animals just because we "should be happy with what we get".

The consumer's voice is the most potent voice in the industry, and that's a fact. And if you keep stepping on consumer's toes, you start losing their trust. And losing trust is a BAD idea for them.

Right, so who asked for Corrin, then? Bayonetta wasn't even the biggest request, I know for a fact that Wolf was way bigger and Bayo doesn't even sell as much as Splatoon, either. Adding in K.Rool and the other big characters is just salt in the wound.

You know who casual people are going to vote for if they even vote for anybody? Shrek. Goku. Whatever characters they damn well feel like. Certainly not an obscure character with only 2 games that aren't selling extremely great. People would vote for characters they look on fondly and want to see in Smash, and I seriously doubt Bayonetta was in the position to be a "winner" if her games aren't selling like hotcakes. I cannot believe that Bayonetta had an overwhelming majority of support, and I cannot believe that she was the most feasible of all the newcomers. Wolf is just as, if not even more feasible and popular.

Again, she's not nearly as popular and has not nearly the amount of demand as Wolf, K.Rool, Inkling, Dixie Kong or any of the other big-name picks worldwide. And just because we're getting new content doesn't ****ing mean we need to take it like animals just because we "should be happy with what we get".

The consumer's voice is the most potent voice in the industry, and that's a fact. And if you keep stepping on consumer's toes, you start losing their trust. And losing trust is a BAD idea for them.
I never said fans chose Corrin.
You don't know any of those as a fact because you don't have the data from the Ballot.
None of us do.
Send a strong message and vote with your money. Don't buy the DLC.

You don't know any of those as a fact because you don't have the data from the Ballot.
None of us do.
I don't need the data from the Ballot to conclude that a franchise that has historically sold pretty mediocrely is not going to be as well known as characters from the best-selling franchises on a console, and thus not as demanded.

That's basic logic.

Last edited:
I never said fans chose Corrin.
None of us do.
Send a strong message and vote with your money. Don't buy the DLC.
And I will be voting with my money by getting both Corrin and Bayonetta and all the Mii costumes. :awesome:

How could I pass up the opportunity to play as more characters? The more, the merrier!

I don't need the data from the Ballot to conclude that a franchise that has historically sold pretty mediocrely is not going to be as well known as characters from the best-selling franchises on a console, and thus not as demanded.

That's basic logic.
this is an assumption. Not fact. You assume they cannot win the ballot and that is a reasonable assumption.

Sadly we do not have any facts to check our assumptions against, so....
If we go off of what we are told, then our assumptions were wrong.

K. Rool games were bestsellers forever ago.
Starfox games haven't been relevent in forever. Nowhere close to bestsellers.
Inklings are new and still growing in popularity.

If you want to believe what Sakurai said, which was that the ballot included characters that were veterans in the top 5 for the USA. How much would you bet that Lucas and Roy were in the top 5? They weren't yet announced when the ballot was there.
How much would you bet the top characters included those that were not feasible? Snake?Ice Climbers?

If you think about this for a bit it may start to dawn on you why Bayo was chosen.

You may think that a character's popularity comes only from the game sales, but Bayonetta is oddly popular(or infamous depending on what you think of her) for the low sales her games make.

Afterall it is the real Devil May Cry spiritual sequel.

"I'm an entitled consumer who demands 100% satisfaction due to being a loyal fan and anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot who is blinded by fanboyism!!!!"

...is the general consensus of how a lot of gamers react torwards the gaming industry as a whole.
This post is legitimately idiotic and makes me wonder why smash boards has no dislike system. I don't see anybody saying that you anybody who likes the DLC is an idiot, but ironically, your calling people entitled because they don't like the DLC. Why does everybody come with the assumption that because sakurai worked hard on it, that we have to like, or even apreciate it. Its not like he is a charity case, he gets loads of money for making the game. Dude get of your high horse nobody has to pretend they like the DLC if they don't.

Last edited:
This post is legitimately idiotic and makes me wonder why smash boards has no dislike system. I don't see anybody saying that you anybody who likes the DLC is an idiot, but ironically, your calling people entitled because they don't like the DLC. Why does everybody come with the conclusion that because sakurai worked hard on it, that we have to like, or even apreciate it. Its not like he is a charity case, he gets loads of money for making the game. Dude get of your high horse nobody has to pretend they like the DLC if they don't.
just don't buy the DLC if you don't think it's worth your money.

This is the entitlement we speak of.

Just don't buy it.

I don't buy the mii costumes. A friend of mine doesn't like buying stages.

deal with it.

Ok well reading through ten pages of this May not be the most... optimistic of things but I'm still happy with everything we got. I actually don't mind the negativity either; it's really nice to hear people's varied and strong opinions about a certain subject. It gives lots of diverse personalities in the community! makes for a good read too :p.

Corrin: While I didn't expect Corrin I never EXACTLY Who was getting revealed for smash when I saw the Fates Cut-scene. I was shouting OMG IT'S KANUI, HE'S COMING TO SMASH? OMG! At first I was like *DansGame* he has the same up air as Marth and has a generic side tilt attack. But then I saw the Dragon Fang attacks and his pinning special move and I was like *PogChamp* yo! This guy has a unique move-set! Overall, my thoughts on Corrin as a whole is that he's a very unique character with a diverse move set and skill range and Is a refreshing take on the general Blue Haired Sword wielding Lord trope we've came to expect from Fire Emblem at this point so nice going Sakurai and Dev team! nice work! (That Artwork though!)

Bayonetta: Once again my somewhat insane knowledge of characters was put to work yet again in Bayonetta's reveal trailer. As soon as I heard that voice I knew who it was and dang I was excited! She seems to have an almost entirely combo based move set (which shall turn out interesting with her 'gimmick' that the more aerial combos she pulls off the longer the landing lag is.) so I think that she will become a favourite with Competitive players. Hey is it just me or does it seem like her Smash attacks are un punishable? Since the Wicked Weave goes directly through her body that should in theory protect her from Harm right? anyway, I am personally very excited for February with these two new interesting characters launching but what about you guys? I'm not an idiot so I get that people are upset and perhaps annoyed at these character choices but I always find it a good read. Any specific thoughts you'd like to share?

EDIT: ack I must limit myself every now and then! All that black and white text can't look that appealing can it? >_<

Last edited:
Ok well reading through ten pages of this May not be the most... optimistic of things but I'm still happy with everything we got. I actually don't mind the negativity either; it's really nice to hear people's varied and strong opinions about a certain subject. It gives lots of diverse personalities in the community! makes for a good read too :p.

Corrin: While I didn't expect Corrin I never EXACTLY Who was getting revealed for smash when I saw the Fates Cut-scene. I was shouting OMG IT'S KANUI, HE'S COMING TO SMASH? OMG! At first I was like *DansGame* he has the same up air as Marth and has a generic side tilt attack. But then I saw the Dragon Fang attacks and his pinning special move and I was like *PogChamp* yo! This guy has a unique move-set! Overall, my thoughts on Corrin as a whole is that he's a very unique character with a diverse move set and skill range and Is a refreshing take on the general Blue Haired Sword wielding Lord trope we've came to expect from Fire Emblem at this point so nice going Sakurai and Dev team! nice work! (That Artwork though!)

Bayonetta: Once again my somewhat insane knowledge of characters was put to work yet again in Bayonetta's reveal trailer. As soon as I heard that voice I knew who it was and dang I was excited! She seems to have an almost entirely combo based move set (which shall turn out interesting with her 'gimmick' that the more aerial combos she pulls off the longer the landing lag is.) so I think that she will become a favourite with Competitive players. Hey is it just me or does it seem like her Smash attacks are un punishable? Since the Wicked Weave goes directly through her body that should in theory protect her from Harm right? anyway, I am personally very excited for February with these two new interesting characters launching but what about you guys? I'm not an idiot so I get that people are upset and perhaps annoyed at these character choices but I always find it a good read. Any specific thoughts you'd like to share?
I can say this:

I'm not crying because they forgot to include:

Squall Leonheart
Heroes of Light
Vaati
Gengar
Isaac
Shantae
Krystal
Django
Sabata
Simon Belmont
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Zero (from megaman zero series)
Four Sword Link (replacement for Toon Link)
etc....

I'm enjoying what we have, since they are great additions and I understand why certain choices were made. Even if I literally got none of my requested characters in other than Robin.

Last edited:
This post is legitimately idiotic and makes me wonder why smash boards has no dislike system. I don't see anybody saying that you anybody who likes the DLC is an idiot, but ironically, your calling people entitled because they don't like the DLC. Why does everybody come with the assumption that because sakurai worked hard on it, that we have to like, or even apreciate it. Its not like he is a charity case, he gets loads of money for making the game. Dude get of your high horse nobody has to pretend they like the DLC if they don't.
You don't have to like DLC and that's your right.

My problem is when every gamer feels entitled to direct the content within a game as if they have a legitimate right to as a gamer and consumer. Consumers certainly do have some say in how a game is crafted but the important decisions regarding game play, mechanics, development, and promotion should ultimately be left to the studio developing it. Which is ridiculous to suggest that studios should be compelled to try and satisfy all consumers. They obviously can't and they won't. Yet, they cry when they aren't satisfied and it's repetitive and frankly, a waste of time. Gamers treat games nowadays like it should be crafted personally to their desires and tastes and when it doesn't, they start getting angry and pissy about it.

In regards to character choices in Smash, people have been complaining about character choices since SSB64. It never ends and it never will.

Also, it seems like everybody forgets this crucial fact:

Bayonetta did win the ballot worldwide. She was literally the most popular request. You heard it straight from the horse's mouth, so quit being in denial. Shovel Knight, Shantae, Wolf, K-Rool, those characters were only the characters people of the online communities were talking about. And that really doesn't count for as much as everybody seems to think. Especially considering those were just bandwagon votes. The majority of the votes came from people who were just honest with what they wanted, not knowing what the internet Smash scene was requesting, and Bayonetta was the true winner overall. It made more people happy than you might think.

Last edited:
I can say this:

Squall Leonheart
Heroes of Light
Vaati
Gengar
Isaac
Shantae
Krystal
Django
Sabata
Simon Belmont
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
etc....

I'm enjoying what we have, since they are great additions and I understand why certain choices were made. Even if I literally got none of my requested characters in other than Robin.
This is quite a nice attitude I don't usually see. ((Then again I do go to 4chan a lot so I can't really complain can I?)) Well for me at least I called most characters in this iteration but I'd have no clue how they would play so I've always been happy at how they turned out. I remember when Robin was first revealed and I was super ticked because like many other people I was full on aboard the Gematsu Hype Train (heh it was more like a car that drove up a massive hill only to jump off the hill after and crash into the ground.) so I thought Robin was a stupid character choice but as I learnt more about the character my Affection for the character grew. I now currently use him so I guess it's went for circle!

Last edited:
If you're still stuck thinking Bayonetta was #1. At least admit that Corrin was an absolutely awful choice of newcomer when SO MANY other characters were more deserving. In fact, few people really mind Bayo's inclusion (other than feminists, maybe). But, there are few who would deny that if Wolf or Ridley (among others) got in instead of that trashy excuse for a character, Corrin, nobody would be complaining.
Corrin looks cool but Jesus Christ the FE overload. I am in no way trying to validate them putting him in. It should of been a rule to have no more than 3 Fire Emblem characters (Marth, Robin, Corrin). No Zelda newcomer? **** this company. I honestly cannot believe he went and said "fan service" and gave us Corrin. It is unforgivable. Cloud is so low in the fan request pool as well.

Zero had the best reactions. It's nice to not see someone be hyped over this bull****.

I learned. Sakurai has to be unpredictable just for the sake of being unpredictable. We will never get what we are expecting. We all should've sent Corrin in for the ballot and we would've gotten Banjo and K. Rool.

My new signature please?

The game went from Saturday morning cartoon characters smacking each other around to creepy-a** anime characters slashing each other with swords.
I know. Something has definitely been lost with this update. I am sick of seeing freaking human characters as well. We play these games to take a break from reality.

People have been asking for Cloud since the Brawl days.
I must've been living under a digital rock. The requests must have been extremely small compared to the other big names.

I honestly wouldn't have doubted if Square approached Nintendo and offered them a large chunk of cash to have Cloud in there to promote the remake. It's probably the only reason he's in there. Same with Corrin (to promote the new game). So these newcomers are basically walking advertisements. No wonder K. Rool and Geno weren't in there. What do they have to gain other than being loyal to long-time fans and an unbelievable internet demand?

Corrin looks cool but Jesus Christ the FE overload. I am in no way trying to validate them putting him in. It should of been a rule to have no more than 3 Fire Emblem characters (Marth, Robin, Corrin). No Zelda newcomer? **** this company. I honestly cannot believe he went and said "fan service" and gave us Corrin. It is unforgivable. Cloud is so low in the fan request pool as well.

Zero had the best reactions. It's nice to not see someone be hyped over this bull****.

I learned. Sakurai has to be unpredictable just for the sake of being unpredictable. We will never get what we are expecting. We all should've sent Corrin in for the ballot and we would've gotten Banjo and K. Rool.

My new signature please?
Sure go ahead, mate.

I know. Something has definitely been lost with this update. I am sick of seeing freaking human characters as well. We play these games to take a break from reality.

I must've been living under a digital rock. The requests must have been extremely small compared to the other big names.

I honestly wouldn't have doubted if Square approached Nintendo and offered them a large chunk of cash to have Cloud in there to promote the remake. It's probably the only reason he's in there. Same with Corrin (to promote the new game). So these newcomers are basically walking advertisements. No wonder K. Rool and Geno weren't in there. What do they have to gain other than being loyal to long-time fans and an unbelievable internet demand?

Fire Emblem is popular, blame awakening for a resurgence, and Japan loves FE a lot more than the US when you also consider they got 11 titles if not more and we only got 5. It's a longer running series and they do love it over there.

Wolf is part of a franchise that is only recently getting a new title, in April, that hadn't had a new one is over a decade. Like I get it, people like Wolf a lot and I wanted him as well.

Every Starfox game except for SNES, 64 and the 64 3DS remake has been mixedly received if not poorly. StarFox Zero does look promising, but at the same time it's also not as popular in japan as it is outside of it, if I recall.

3DS Starfox did sell well, but that was a remake of what is considered the best in the series. The series is only now getting something new while Fire Emblem has been a lot more relevant and received extremely well along with a hyped new game coming out soon to the states.

Sales for Bayonetta haven't been that bad, under a milion units sold, this is only for physical and not digital copies btw, http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70956/bayonetta-2/.

I can't speak for the DK series really outside of the newer ones which have seemed to have done pretty alright.

I don't know if the demand for them is that high.

Regardless of this, I do think a lot of frustration people have is more personal in which they want their own choices in the game and are mad something else made it in. That's really how I see it, I instead am content with this, granted I had Charizard and Lucario so I was set before the DLC happened which gave me more of what I wanted with Roy/Ryu/Cloud.

That is honestly how I will be looking at this.

This is quite a nice attitude I don't usually see. ((Then again I do go to 4chan a lot so I can't really complain can I?)) Well for me at least I called most characters in this iteration but I'd have no clue how they would play so I've always been happy at how they turned out. I remember when Robin was first revealed and I was super ticked because like many other people I was full on aboard the Gematsu Hype Train (heh it was more like a car that drove up a massive hill only to jump off the hill after and crash into the ground.) so I thought Robin was a stupid character choice but as I learnt more about the character my Affection for the character grew. I now currently use him so I guess it's went for circle!
The Gematsu leak was real I think.
When Sakurai made the roster (in the planning phase) Chrom was n there. It was only after further consideration that it seemed like he would be very boring as a character and would bring nothing new to the table.
I just wish they made him an alt costume for Ike at the very least.

Robin making it in restored my hope for smash since it would be the sensible choice to make.

As a FE fan since Melee (Roy is mah boy) I wanted characters in who depict the other aspects of the game aside from swords. I was hoping for other weapons like spears, axes and bows and weapon usage and tomes.

Gladly Robin took care of that and it seems Corrin will be the Manakete rep of FE.

And another thing that makes me mad, people saying "Why was there only one Ballot winner?"

Sakurai never promised there would be multiple winners. He didn't even promise that there would even be a "winner" to begin with. So it's not like Sakurai betrayed you, stop taking the choices so damn personally and stop complaining about two new sword using characters in a game that now has 58 characters.

Fire Emblem is popular, blame awakening for a resurgence, and Japan loves FE a lot more than the US when you also consider they got 11 titles if not more and we only got 5. It's a longer running series and they do love it over there.

Wolf is part of a franchise that is only recently getting a new title, in April, that hadn't had a new one is over a decade. Like I get it, people like Wolf a lot and I wanted him as well.

Every Starfox game except for SNES, 64 and the 64 3DS remake has been mixedly received if not poorly. StarFox Zero does look promising, but at the same time it's also not as popular in japan as it is outside of it, if I recall.

3DS Starfox did sell well, but that was a remake of what is considered the best in the series. The series is only now getting something new while Fire Emblem has been a lot more relevant and received extremely well along with a hyped new game coming out soon to the states.

Sales for Bayonetta haven't been that bad, under a milion units sold, this is only for physical and not digital copies btw, http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70956/bayonetta-2/.

I can't speak for the DK series really outside of the newer ones which have seemed to have done pretty alright.

I don't know if the demand for them is that high.

Regardless of this, I do think a lot of frustration people have is more personal in which they want their own choices in the game and are mad something else made it in. That's really how I see it, I instead am content with this, granted I had Charizard and Lucario so I was set before the DLC happened which gave me more of what I wanted with Roy/Ryu/Cloud.

That is honestly how I will be looking at this.
Well put.

I would like to add that DKC series was very big and the revival by retro studios is amazing, but the games are devoid of King K. Rool. So if anything, the new DK rep should be kranky kong. (Dixie is too generic and there is no iconic villain in those games)

but even so, DKCReturns is not *that* popular. It took Bowser Jr a ton of years to get a spot. Only after the New Super Mario Bros series did he get into smash. He could have been added in brawl since Mario Sunshine was out then as well right? It is only due to him being kept relevant and trending that he was added.

It's like those fans who cry about Girahim (or Midna in 2008) not making it into the game. One-off characters are not fit to represent a franchise.

Think bigger. Think Like Sakurai. Consider the world outside your internet forums.

Forums have long since become echo-chambers where moderators silence anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with the ideas of the board owners. Forums are not places for open discussions as they used to be when I was younger.

Those fan polls are just what the internet crawelrs wanted and were not representative. If anyone thinks Cloud was not requested then you really should leave your interwebs sometimes and spend time with real live people.

This. Melee you are limited to Jigglypuff, Fox, Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers pretty much. That's not a good thing.

Tier Lists ruin games.
Didn't I see you on another thread like 2-3 months ago saying the same thing? Man you really don't listen.....

Last edited:
A friendly reminder for those who think nobody voted for Cloud:
As many have said, online polls are not representative of the overall fanbase, and even so, Cloud still appeared on many of them.

Also, Cloud is the fifth most recognizable video game character in the world. His game introduced many people worldwide to the RPG genre (and to a somewhat lesser extend, JRPG specifically) and his character practically single-handedly the archetype of ridiculously spiky hair and giant swords. He is in many ways the OG of his genre and as such people know who he is, and voted for him.

Well put.

I would like to add that DKC series was very big and the revival by retro studios is amazing, but the games are devoid of King K. Rool. So if anything, the new DK rep should be kranky kong. (Dixie is too generic and there is no iconic villain in those games)

but even so, DKCReturns is not *that* popular. It took Bowser Jr a ton of years to get a spot. Only after the New Super Mario Bros series did he get into smash. He could have been added in brawl since Mario Sunshine was out then as well right? It is only due to him being kept relevant and trending that he was added.

It's like those fans who cry about Girahim (or Midna in 2008) not making it into the game. One-off characters are not fit to represent a franchise.

Think bigger. Think Like Sakurai. Consider the world outside your internet forums.

Forums have long since become echo-chambers where moderators silence anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with the ideas of the board owners. Forums are not places for open discussions as they used to be when I was younger.

Those fan polls are just what the internet crawelrs wanted and were not representative. If anyone thinks Cloud was not requested then you really should leave your interwebs sometimes and spend time with real live people.
Cranky Kong would be pretty cool.

A friendly reminder for those who think nobody voted for Cloud:
As many have said, online polls are not representative of the overall fanbase, and even so, Cloud still appeared on many of them.

Also, Cloud is the fifth most recognizable video game character in the world. His game introduced many people worldwide to the RPG genre (and to a somewhat lesser extend, JRPG specifically) and his character practically single-handedly the archetype of ridiculously spiky hair and giant swords. He is in many ways the OG of his genre and as such people know who he is, and voted for him.
This exactly. Cloud is an extremely iconic character that people have literally wanted inSmash for years. Just like I said about Bayonetta earlier, it's making a lot more people happy than it is making people angry.

A lot of you people in this thread to me just sound like "If you dislike ANYTHING about the direct you are self-entitled fanboy!". The only person here I've seen that actually seems like that is Xandercosm Xandercosm when he was calling it "****ty content" just because he didn't like it. I am not against Corrin being in the game, I am against the fact that we have 6 FE characters in this game and another anime-swordsman (not that there is anything wrong with FE and anime-swordsman) when we already have so many in this game. I'm glad Bayonetta is in this game, but for some reason I feel that her being the most voted worldwide is BS and maybe even would have ended up in the game without the ballot.

I can say this:

Squall Leonheart
Heroes of Light
Vaati
Gengar
Isaac
Shantae
Krystal
Django
Sabata
Simon Belmont
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
etc....

WAIT! I was complaining? No no no I was happy about Bayonetta and Cloud and legitimately was thanking Sakurai. I didn't mean to seem like a prick, I need to clarify better next time, sorry about that!

But characters who have yet to be in a game are?

I mean, you can now clearly see Nintendo is only looking to the present and future, not the past. Sucks for the people like me who are suckers for the SNES/N64 era. :(

I can now see why this was done. It's all about the new generation and moving on I guess. Bayonetta and Corrin are new and hip; Banjo, K. Rool and Geno are like the uncool grandfathers. Maybe kids wouldn't recognize them or something, but I mean, Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are in there, so I have no clue to the logic behind any of this. My only, what I see to be legitimate, gripe is the overload on the FE franchise, but I guess Nintendo wants it to be huge.

It's just like real-life; no more DuckTales, no more Saturday morning cartoons, it's all about your reality shows now.

Well, the moment this game was announced, it was pretty much fact it wasn't going to happen. Hell, they didn't get Mii costumes. But it's alright. They're in better games anyways.

I never said anything about a western team. It doesn't even matter when all you're doing is adding new characters.

Honestly, you're the most arrogant little kid I've seen in this thread so far. It's just getting funny at this point. You might wanna stop before you embarrass yourself even more.
Very much this. I will respect Sakurai for giving us this wonderful game, after all it almost costed his own hand, but overrepping Fire Emblem and not giving Wario any WL content is unexcusably bias.

Last edited:
My thoughs...

Corrin let me salty. I preferred him to appear in Smash 5, BUT NOT NOW!? WHY??? The salt....

Cloud: Cool we know the basic, and the basic of its stage is very important too.

Mii costume: I was expecting Heroes of light costume but Geno was a surprised because I though is DEAD. But nope. And Knuckles

Bayonetta: The best thing in the Direct. That it. How fan choose a better character than Sakurai own Characters Corrin.

The reason I feel SALTY is, No golden Sun content like C'mon. Nintendo is just more than Mario and Zelda, Nintendo is bigger than that, like way more than you think. R.I.P. Isaaac from Guldan San.

I mean, you can now clearly see Nintendo is only looking to the present and future, not the past. Sucks for the people like me who are suckers for the SNES/N64 era. :(

I can now see why this was done. It's all about the new generation and moving on I guess. Bayonetta and Corrin are new and hip; Banjo, K. Rool and Geno are like the uncool grandfathers. Maybe kids wouldn't recognize them or something, but I mean, Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are in there, so I have no clue to the logic behind any of this. My only, what I see to be legitimate, gripe is the overload on the FE franchise, but I guess Nintendo wants it to be huge.

It's just like real-life; no more DuckTales, no more Saturday morning cartoons, it's all about your reality shows now.
Oh, how I long for the good ol' days... :(

jesus people.....

That's basic logic.
no....... bayonetta has gotten rave reviews as well as huge love from the gaming community in general. people have BEEN asking for her (myself included) and even in the polls the people on this thread just love to bring up, bayonetta has been among the higher voted characters (even higher then inkling)

P.S. i also voted inkling as well

there are always promotional or trending characters, go read source gaming's latest interview with Sakurai that they translated.
The difference is that DLC exists in this smash, so rather than trends at the beginning of development mattering, the trends around the conception of DLC characters also matter. FE got very very lucky having both awakening and fates coming out around the start of development of smash and the developments of DLC.

You may be salty about time gone by, but don't pretend there are no retro reps. Sakurai tries to get in big gaming icons and big gaming icons from various generations are offered.

they just got Cloud from around 1998. You are literally crying for characters that are not icons and then by default need to get in due to luck i.e: trends

super hyped for Bayonetta, love both games
as for the complaints about another FE character, Mario has 8 reps, Pokemon about 6 by now, Zelda five. FE inst the only game series to be super over represented in this game.

I guess Indie Characters may have been wanted to be saved for Smash 5 regaurdless ((sorry, Giana)) which does kind of make sense. I mean; People wanted SHOVEL KNIGHT who wasn't and still isn't even out in Japan yet.

KingPinGamez KingPinGamez

It is the Smash cycle.

Melee gets announced. Fans get hyped.
Melee shows veterans and newcomers. Fans get hyped.
Melee shows final newcomers. Fans get salty and blame final newcomers for keeping their favorite characters out.
Fans don't want Sakurai to work on next Smash game.

Brawl gets announced. Fans get hyped.
Brawl shows veterans and newcomers. Fans get hyped.
Brawl shows final newcomers. Fans get salty and blame final newcomers for keeping their favorite characters out.

SSB4 gets announced. Fans gets hyped.
SSB4 shows veterans and newcomers. Fans get hyped.
SSB4 shows final newcomers. Fans get salty and blame final newcomers for keeping their favorite characters out.
I never thought I would say this, but the Duck Hunt main is right on all accounts.

You know we managed to accomplish something REAL big when we are now being labeled as worse as the FNAF and Minecraft fanbases. But it's to be expected when the fanbase was getting heavily divided since the controversial, casual-oriented Brawl came along.

super hyped for Bayonetta, love both games
as for the complaints about another FE character, Mario has 8 reps, Pokemon about 6 by now, Zelda five. FE inst the only game series to be super over represented in this game.
It isn't like people didn't complain about that either. When I found out about Rosalina and Bowser Jr. I saw a lot of people saying that there were too many Mario characters, and IMO the Mario series has a lot of characters that could be cool in Smash *cough* Geno *cough*. Same thing with Pokemon, but I never really thought there were too many when there were 5, and a **** ton of people wanted Mewtwo back. The only reason Zelda has 5 representatives is because Zelda and Sheik are separate characters now. The problem with the FE representatives is that we have 2 Marth clones, 2 FE:Awakening characters, and now a FE character that is really only in the game to promote FE: Fates (I really can't see any other reason considering I have never seen ANYONE ask for Corrin).

Top Bottom