• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Evo 2015 Ruleset Updated: Customs On!

BBC7

Smash Ace
We gonna see more variety. FINALLY.

I kinda Scared with Link and Olimar.
Link has really OP Arrows...
His regular arrows are generally regarded as the better move if I recall correctly. I could see use for Heavy Bow but the the Light Bow(I think that's what it's called) looks like a poor man's Mega Man pellets.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I just can't fathom this, someone please in complete detail explain to me why Smash-4 is Evo material. Either Nintendo paid a butt load of money so this game could be registered or I'm in another dimension. Btw why don't you just add every other Smash game as well since Smash-4 is worthy enough sigh AGAIN, sigh.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
They place it at 300% because pressing it onwards needlessly would mean that you are stalling. Seeing as it is inescapable when performed correctly, the match is permanently stalled in favor of the player who initiates it. And we've seen SOME characters live to really long percents with wobbling intact. Look at Dreamland 64. Such a high roof and pretty far out sides. If you stopped it at 100%, there's a good chance the opponent will DI up and live. MAYBE 150%. 300% seems unnecessary though, I agree.

It's just that we can see some people live to 180/200% WITHOUT wobbling, be it weak hits or godlike DI. So it's a rough spot.

But that'd justify the 300% limit for wobbling I believe.
But remember, Wobbling in itself would take an extremely long time, even if it's as low as 100%-150% damage. That in itself would technically count as Stalling due to the harsh amount of time it takes for it to even go up to 150%. It doesn't matter if you have god-like DI (Bowser's the only character I know who'll live at 300% with little DI), the factor about Wobbling is the time it takes, not the damage it builds.

I just can't fathom this, someone please in complete detail explain to me why Smash-4 is Evo material. Either Nintendo paid a butt load of money so this game could be registered or I'm in another dimension. Btw why don't you just add every other Smash game as well since Smash-4 is worthy enough sigh AGAIN, sigh.
Well, probably because unlike Brawl, Smash Bros. 4 is actually quite fast, and trust me, if you play a game with Fox vs Diddy or Ganondorf vs Diddy you can expect it to end before the 2 minute mark hits.

Hi_C

Smash Rookie
Still too soon for customs imo. That should be explored after Evo. Welp, time to discover everything possible!

Besides the Olimar reflected Pikmin thing.
The other issue is that after EVO might be too late. People will then use the argument "The meta is too developed" and then customs may never even see the light of day in tournaments. We have 5 months to gather as much data on customs as we can before EVO which should be plenty of time to determine what we need to know.

Hi_C

Smash Rookie
This will really set Sm4sh apart from the rest of the Smash titles!

Of course some are deemed broken, but I'd love to see creative strategies surrounding customs!
From what some people have said, none of them are really "broken" as far as we know. I guess we will have to wait and see what the future holds with them.

Hi_C

Smash Rookie
Customs are random just like Items you won't know what you're facing against until it's too late.
You have 5 months to prepare for the tournament and study for them. In my opinion, customs are no harder to remember than remembering moves, abilities ect. for certain Pokemon. Just takes some time but at the end of the day, there is going to be centralization of custom sets since people want the most opportunity to win.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Do you guys honestly want a game where its like Marvel 3 and half the roster is completely broken and OP as all hell or would you rather have half a cast that's legit well balanced and the other half isn't far behind?
HEY! I better be the OP ones. I took down Sentinel.
Well, my main game is Marvel 3, so.... :V
I take it you main me. You know, me being the best and all.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hyped for customs but some of them are really op so I don't know how balanced It'll get.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
I hope that they will be thorough in making sure ONLY CUSTOM SPECIALS will be allowed and not stats or anything. I think that that most likely is the case but it really needs to be.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Because, Melee elitist, Smash 4 improved on what Brawl failed gameplay-wise.

Not everything revolves around Melee

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
The best way to see if customs are viable is to experiment with them. We will know for sure after EVO instead of doing local tournament after local tournament. Customs will be very appealing to viewers too.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
To all the TO that didn't allow customs in their tournament, you don't have a good reason to keep them off, if EVO can do it, everyone can

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yes, because losing an aerial grab is a good option *sarcasm*
Well still I'd just prefer actually dealing damage. If I do his regular neutral b on-stage, I can trap him in an egg but only get like 1 attack off, and doing it off-stages can be a little tricky.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Someone had to ask if items were off for Smash 4? Does that mean that they're on for Melee? Can we get someone to double check? :rolleyes:

Great to hear customs will be allowed. This just raised the bar on hype levels.
I hope that they will be thorough in making sure ONLY CUSTOM SPECIALS will be allowed and not stats or anything. I think that that most likely is the case but it really needs to be.
The evo website makes it clear that equipment is banned, only custom specials are permissable.
As it should be.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
IMO, Link's customs will probably win him the EVO tournament. Why?

Power Bow > Any Weak Attack or Unsafe Approach
Quickfire Bow > Any Small Projectile
Boomerang > Any Grab and Pummel, Any Non-SA Recovery
Ripping Boomerang > Any Small Projectile
Big Bomb > Any Non-SA Physical or Special Attack
Meteor Bomb > Any Non-SA Physical Recovery
Shocking Spin > Spin Attack
Whirling Leap > Any Recovery Move

can't wait to see big tree villager
Amplifying Reflector Fox or Marth Counter :troll:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
How would the (presumably) multiple setups have customs 100% complete? And since you can only save ten per console...

I'm not arguing against customs. I just don't think it'll be easy.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How would the (presumably) multiple setups have customs 100% complete? And since you can only save ten per console...

I'm not arguing against customs. I just don't think it'll be easy.
- People bringing their 3DSes to make custom builds. Those lucky enough to have them all (or, you know, cheaters who used powersaves) could make builds for those who don't own the 3DS version.
- Ten setups are enough, since certain setups are obviously better than others.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Thank you EVO for not being another conservative tourney, in a game that has not even a year.

Like was said, if anything be proved not to work, ban for next tourney.
Should be this away from the start.
Also, 5 starters ... This is GREAT news.

42nd

Smash Cadet
this will be interesting. i feel like using customs adds flavor to the game. Watch the top players not even care and beat everyones customs with oo aaa oo aaa

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Customs? What a horrible idea, considering that there are a solid half dozen moves (at least) that are absolutely banworthy and another dozen are so that are just stupidly good in general. The meta is young, and just watch, I'll bet that when Diddy doesn't win EVO we'll have that small crowd of pro-custom users that will cry out "See, see, customs are the way to go!" when in reality we'll all know that at this point in time its surely a fluke and they don't really know what they're talking about.

The beauty of Smash 4 in its current state is how balanced it is (especially for a Smash game) and adding customs into the mic brings us one step closer to breaking that balance, especially at this stage in the game's meta.

Items were banned for a reason, and I know that the whole "Well at least they tried items first" argument can be thrown out, but considering that everyone hated items during their inclusion during Melee's early days and considering that competitive Smash was in its infancy it makes sense for them to have made that mistake at first.

We're smarter and bigger now, lets not make this mistake
Tell me one custom that is banworthy.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Explain what, evo material, is by definition.

Because from what it seems like, it's very arbitrary.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I honestly don't really know if there are any movesets that are broken, but, I can't imagine that being the case. Will be nice to see how a major tourney will work with customs on.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
This.....this is exciting. Being able to basically CREATE your main is something that I love in sm4sh, and bringing that to the tourney scene will really spice things up.

I have a hard time understanding the arguements against it; mostly they just consist of "these are broken" or "the meta's going to revolve around this single custom/character that uses this custom," or even "this will only make top tiers better." To which I reply:

Firstly....it's not going to divide the roster, it's going to narrow the space between tiers. Even if top tier characters have solid customs, lower tier characters will have access to the ability to COUNTER those customs, as well as the top tier's default specials. Every custom has its weakness; regardless of how crippling that weakness is overall, there's always one particular character that can capitalize on that weakness. Not to mention, it's going to give otherwise poor characters a chance to really shine. Little Mac is downtrodden because of his poor recovery....making that better, even just a little bit, will really give him more of a chance. Counterpicks overall will become more interesting and requiring of creativity, as a single moveset change can turn a poor matchup into an equal or even an advantageous one.

As for overcentralization of certain moves and techniques...
>Ice Climbers' chain throws in melee/brawl
>Diddy's bananas in brawl, and his Hoo Haa in ssb4
>Brawl Meta Knight and his Up special
>And much, much more
There has always been, and always will always be that he character who's good because of "THAT ONE THING." It's the case for not only every iteration of smash, but fighting games in general.

With that long text wall finished.....I bid you adeu.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Game's been out for months already. Some games in the EVO line-up aren't even out yet.

If people can't get a grasp on how customs work by the time EVO comes and goes, then that's on them.

I get the impression that the people who say that it's "too soon" for customs will ALWAYS say that it's too soon for customs until they're just flat-out forced to deal with them. Might as well do that now.
That's your feeling. I'm the minority of it.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
It's come to my attention those of you heavily against customs have a fear of possibilities. Have you honestly tried any of the customs? You'd realize most of them either suck or don't change much. Very very few actually change a match up (Bowser gets a strong approach option). And some handle a match up better (only Rosalina and Mii Gunner really), and it makes Palutena not bad. And the only time it really gets whacky is with Ganondorf, but it doesn't automatically make him that good.

At worst? Someone loses to a gimmick, in this happens in every fighting game ever made (that isn't hilariously broken anyway). Solid play always pull through, as earlier customs on tournaments have proven.

Plus it seems The List will be the main guideline to go with these. http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/ Everyone has put in great work here.

If anything, the main issue is the unlocking customs part, and I don't mean getting them on setups. I mean having them for yourself so you can practice/try stuff out.

Also for those of you that replied saying waiting still after Evo for customs is too late, why? The game won't even be a year old by then. Maybe because I'm just an old head that sees games having a slow burn to an evolution, but why would it be too late?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I know it's been like this for a LONG time, but why do we need items off? Ya, ya, they affect the game but it's honestly more enjoyable to watch when they're on. Otherwise, you pretty much know how the battle will go due to the fact that it's pretty easy to remember the movesets of every fighter. And on that topic...

I think it is a good idea to have customs on for this. Makes it more unpredictable. Nobody will know what specials you have until you actually use them. You'll also have to adapt to these changes.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I know it's been like this for a LONG time, but why do we need items off? Ya, ya, they affect the game but it's honestly more enjoyable to watch when they're on. Otherwise, you pretty much know how the battle will go due to the fact that it's pretty easy to remember the movesets of every fighter. And on that topic...

I think it is a good idea to have customs on for this. Makes it more unpredictable. Nobody will know what specials you have until you actually use them. You'll also have to adapt to these changes.
randomness is actually not good, and your reason for allowing customs is the main reason people want them banned. If you refuse to tell your opponent your customs, then you're DQ'd.

Schaggy

Smash Rookie
Fox Up-B. Olimar in general. Link, Donkey Kang. Some of these moves are just way too strong. Idk if this allowance will last :(

Schaggy

Smash Rookie

Yes for parties, but no way for tournaments when money and inter-fame is on the line. Randomness does not belong in competition.

Top Bottom