• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Evo 2015 Ruleset Updated: Customs On!

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Customs? What a horrible idea, considering that there are a solid half dozen moves (at least) that are absolutely banworthy and another dozen are so that are just stupidly good in general. The meta is young, and just watch, I'll bet that when Diddy doesn't win EVO we'll have that small crowd of pro-custom users that will cry out "See, see, customs are the way to go!" when in reality we'll all know that at this point in time its surely a fluke and they don't really know what they're talking about.

The beauty of Smash 4 in its current state is how balanced it is (especially for a Smash game) and adding customs into the mic brings us one step closer to breaking that balance, especially at this stage in the game's meta.

Items were banned for a reason, and I know that the whole "Well at least they tried items first" argument can be thrown out, but considering that everyone hated items during their inclusion during Melee's early days and considering that competitive Smash was in its infancy it makes sense for them to have made that mistake at first.

We're smarter and bigger now, lets not make this mistake
You're right that Smash 4 is well balanced. Customs on further balances it.

There are NO broken customs. None.

Zero: "Can I reach out to you about the Smash 4 ruleset? Kinda important. Skype, IM, DM, something? Thanks"

Oh no.
ffs. This is a community decision and community influence deemed customs would be legal. He should just accept that this is going to happen and move on. Yeah I know he has a right to argue this, but considering the fact that if they don't come now they might not ever happen, and that this will help diversify the character pool, he just sounds like he's trying to make things easier for himself. It means he wouldn't have to practice more or actually find out what counters Diddy in customs and work on fighting back.

Really starting to despise Zero as a player. First switching to Diddy (I know, anything to win and all that. Still feels sh*tty) and now fighting change that's healthy to the game's survival.

Edit: Ignore everything I just said, jumped the gun and didn't read on, that's my bad. Glad to hear Zero will support them and not oppose them.

Last edited:
By the way, I am curious if Skyloft is legal. I heard that it wasn't due to some music copyright thing, but couldn't the specific song just be disabled entirely?
Apparently, even with the slider all the way down, there's a slim chance for the song to play. Kinda dumb all things considered, I mean Nintendo could've put in a disable button for songs, but what're you going to do?

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
once again glad to see custom moves legal. some custom moves are better than the standard special like kong cyclone and upper cutter

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
You're right that Smash 4 is well balanced. Customs on further balances it.

While I like the idea of a customs-legal tournament, I'm pretty sure there's at least one custom special that might be a little OP.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The custom moves in Smash 4 could be considered under advanced technique. For example, L-cancel and wavedashing is in Melee, it would be ridiculous to ban it when its part of the game. I'm so hyped now at the moment just thinking about all the cool stuff people will be able to pull off.

Pyr

Smash Lord
While I like the idea of a customs-legal tournament, I'm pretty sure there's at least one custom special that might be a little OP.
Takes more then 1 specific tool to propel someone to top tier. It's been all but confirmed that customs don't help the current tops as much as the lower guys. But hey. Anyone who thinks otherwise, find me the custom that makes a character broken.

JaredK22

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jrdkilr22
3DS FC
2664-2858-9403
Switch FC
SW-1079-9038-3317
We won't know that until someone uses it but it can be true. As I haven't even experimented with all customs (Its not because I don't have them its just that I don't feel like it lol.) there is a chance there wil be an OP one out there.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Let's not speak in definite terms, here. There are definitely some iffy customs, like Extreme Judge. I agree that from what we've seen so far, most of the customs aren't broken, but for all we know, someone might discover something like the Olimar + Fox thing that works in singles.

Takes more then 1 specific tool to propel someone to top tier.
Palutena begs to differ.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I think that "a little OP" generally means "strong" in these cases. And I don't consider something being strong as a valid ban reason.

I'll just throw these out there:
Do you know of any customs that are stronger than Diddy?
Do you know of any customs that break the game a la wobbling (consider that not even wobbling is banned in most tournaments)?

Still too soon for customs imo. That should be explored after Evo. Welp, time to discover everything possible!

Besides the Olimar reflected Pikmin thing.
It will always be "too soon for customs" until we stop making excuses and put them into practice.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
I think that "a little OP" generally means "strong" in these cases. And I don't consider something being strong as a valid ban reason.

Do you know of any customs that break the game a la wobbling (consider that not even wobbling is banned in most tournaments)?
Good point. I will leave now :3

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
Customs allowed? Ohhhhh this just got better.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Let's not speak in definite terms, here. There are definitely some iffy customs, like Extreme Judge. I agree that from what we've seen so far, most of the customs aren't broken, but for all we know, someone might discover something like the Olimar + Fox thing that works in singles.

Palutena begs to differ.
Extreme Judge damages G&W for 5% for every 1 he gets, (Which I believe is 75% of the time), and the 9s do less damage and KB than regular Judge. Plus it's G&W who isn't looking too hot as far as viability goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucXxJA6vi_s In this video G&W gets ELEVEN 1s in a row.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Apparently, even with the slider all the way down, there's a slim chance for the song to play. Kinda dumb all things considered, I mean Nintendo could've put in a disable button for songs, but what're you going to do?
Really? Wow.. I never knew that. That's really ridiculous. So even if you put all the other sliders up, it still has a chance to play the song with the slider that's all the way down?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Unfortunately as rare as it is, unless if it is 100% guaranteed not to happen Nintendo can't afford to take those risks.

Really? Wow.. I never knew that. That's really ridiculous. So even if you put all the other sliders up, it still has a chance to play the song with the slider that's all the way down?
That's what I've heard from word of mouth. Really dumb, but I'm not an expert on coding so I wouldn't know how this works. Probably sets it to a value like 1 or something that'd still make it considered eligible rather than a 0.

Wobbling is banned though, above 300% anyway

Also there are people who think Timber Counter and Extreme Balloon Trip are broken but what do they know!

Last edited:

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
Having customs legal makes me wanna try to unlock everything and play around with 'em. Hoping to learn a bunch.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie

Also there are people who think Timber Counter and Extreme Balloon Trip are broken but what do they know!
I've heard some tales but I've heard good counterarguments too. Everything should be considered innocent until proven guilty. Not believing Joe Schmo's horror story until I see it (and after quite some time has passed)

Last edited:

^^^ This right here. If a technique that's essentially a death sentence 99/100 times you get hit with it can be legal, what the hell does Smash 4 have that could POSSIBLY be more broken than that? Kinda hoping wobbling does get banned though for this year's evo. Probably just wishful thinking, but it's god damn stupid whenever it happens in a match. Reminds me of UMvC3 where if you do one tiny thing wrong you can lose your character/team.

Wobbling is banned over 300% because it's considered stalling. Haven't seen what happens if you go over myself, but I imagine it's a forfeit of the game you're in.

crazyninjagod

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5215-0713-5279
Customs on? If I don't see villager top this since I think he has the most godlike customs then idk who will and I expect to see a lot of more Wario and G&W players come out with customs on :D

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
I've seen what customs can do and they basically add a ton of crazy things (but the most important thing is more/faster kill options for some characters, like DK). I think things could either end up really good or bad, depending on what things are found (and I saw an Olimar video that terrifies me if it starts being used at EVO). Lylat as a starter? Those ledges though......

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Customs are on means that either Ganondorf, Link or Ike will win EVO.

Also, my question to you Melee competitive ****s is...
How in the ever living hell did you decide banning Wobbling at 300% was a good idea!?

At 150%, it'd be more reasonable, but 300% damage, really!? The IC characters can already KO at 150% with a single F-Smash after throw, so why 300%!? Why not go lower than that at at least 100%? That'd make the damn game fair.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Customs are on means that either Ganondorf, Link or Ike will win EVO.

Also, my question to you Melee competitive ****s is...
How in the ever living hell did you decide banning Wobbling at 300% was a good idea!?

At 150%, it'd be more reasonable, but 300% damage, really!? The IC characters can already KO at 150% with a single F-Smash after throw, so why 300%!? Why not go lower than that at at least 100%? That'd make the damn game fair.
They place it at 300% because pressing it onwards needlessly would mean that you are stalling. Seeing as it is inescapable when performed correctly, the match is permanently stalled in favor of the player who initiates it. And we've seen SOME characters live to really long percents with wobbling intact. Look at Dreamland 64. Such a high roof and pretty far out sides. If you stopped it at 100%, there's a good chance the opponent will DI up and live. MAYBE 150%. 300% seems unnecessary though, I agree.

It's just that we can see some people live to 180/200% WITHOUT wobbling, be it weak hits or godlike DI. So it's a rough spot.

But that'd justify the 300% limit for wobbling I believe.

Can people who whine about "broken customs" please give us a list of broken customs instead of being lazy and bandwagoning on the "shut customs off entirely" deal?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Glad to hear they're not gonna just play it safe. Customs would makes things more interesting.

Last edited:

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
WRONG!!!! We should've started exploring them as soon as the game was released!
You're out of t
WRONG!!!! We should've started exploring them as soon as the game was released!
You're out of your mind. We needed to get a grasp of the way the game feels first and foremost. You're rushing and that's lame.

Top Bottom