• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U [Sm4sh Mods] (Unofficial) Patch 1.1.7: The Fan Patch [Discontinued. See Updated Thread for details]

D

Deleted member

No, I want to balance him and keep his play style what makes him fun. I'm guessing you didn't expand the quote or read the buffs that I suggested in conjunction with the removal of the mobility changes.
The problem is mobility is such a huge factor in this game. Characters that are as slow as Dedede start off with a huge disadvantage, exacerbated by the fact that he is a gigantic target.

The mobility buffs (the ones you suggest removing) are subtle enough that they won't change the "feel" of the character, in my opinion. He would still be one of the slowest characters in the game (0.72 air speed would actually still be the worst air speed.) The changes would, however, help him feel less sluggish and allow him to get a bit more use of his multiple jumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least Dedede almost walks at an average speed, but even if his walk speed was set to 1, it would still be ranked below average when compared to the rest of the roster.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
I'd like to help on Falco changes. What I suggest is an increase in running speed and air mobility, make lasers auto cancel and allow two to be shot at a time. Reduce the start-up on dair, increase the active frames, and make it auto cancel. And if possible change his bair to be more akin to Melee

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Lasers don't need to autocancel. The cast isn't built to handle projectile walls, so a Falco that could short hop lasers would be intensely polarizing.

That said, it shouldn't take an hour and a half for Falco to put his blaster away.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Lasers don't need to autocancel. The cast isn't built to handle projectile walls, so a Falco that could short hop lasers would be intensely polarizing.

That said, it shouldn't take an hour and a half for Falco to put his blaster away.
True. Sorry, that was the Melee fanboy in me talking. I still do think that a reduction in the end lag of lasers is needed. Maybe by 15 or 20 frames. And maybe 2 lasers at a time.

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
Y lasers need less endlag, not like Melee obviously, that would be crazy. Also I don't get the bair thing, his bair is insanely strong, one of the best bairs in the game. And dair is ok, maybe some less start-up but not much need for more active frames, I think. I also think his down-b should have slightly less lag, it feels kind of mediocre. This way Falco will be able to have a better mid-range and long-range game with his blaster and reflector, which he needs.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Y lasers need less endlag, not like Melee obviously, that would be crazy. Also I don't get the bair thing, his bair is insanely strong, one of the best bairs in the game. And dair is ok, maybe some less start-up but not much need for more active frames, I think. I also think his down-b should have slightly less lag, it feels kind of mediocre. This way Falco will be able to have a better mid-range and long-range game with his blaster and reflector, which he needs.
His Melee bair bar was overall better than his Smash 4 bair because it has superior speed and a much better hitbox. Falco's Smash 4 bair lacks range and combine that with his poor mobility makes it only useful in certain situations. His reflector I think should have a stronger hitbox and reflect on it's way back. But it would still be a pretty mediocre reflector. I hope it his possible to change it back to it in Melee.

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
The problem is mobility is such a huge factor in this game. Characters that are as slow as Dedede start off with a huge disadvantage, exacerbated by the fact that he is a gigantic target.

The mobility buffs (the ones you suggest removing) are subtle enough that they won't change the "feel" of the character, in my opinion. He would still be one of the slowest characters in the game (0.72 air speed would actually still be the worst air speed.) The changes would, however, help him feel less sluggish and allow him to get a bit more use of his multiple jumps.
That's true, the speed boosts he would get is minimal and probably wouldn't affect his playstyle much. The down throw however would ruin him, I can't imagine playing like ness: just fishing for grabs by the ledge at +80%.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I'd like to help on Falco changes. What I suggest is an increase in running speed and air mobility, make lasers auto cancel and allow two to be shot at a time. Reduce the start-up on dair, increase the active frames, and make it auto cancel. And if possible change his bair to be more akin to Melee
I'm not a Falco expert, but I always thought felt he a bit little too light for what he was.
Yeah Fox is lighter and has a slightly more puinshable recovery than Falco, but Fox has a significantly better ground and combo game over what can Falco do. (From what I've seen at least)

So I feel he should have his weight buffed up from 82 to 87.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
I'm not a Falco expert, but I always thought felt he a bit little too light for what he was.
Yeah Fox is lighter and has a slightly more puinshable recovery than Falco, but Fox has a significantly better ground and combo game over what can Falco do. (From what I've seen at least)

So I feel he should have his weight buffed up from 82 to 87.
Falco's weight has always been perfect for him. He is meant to be a glass cannon. Falco has a significantly better combo game than Fox and in Melee a better ground game too.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Falco's weight has always been perfect for him. He is meant to be a glass cannon. Falco has a significantly better combo game than Fox and in Melee a better ground game too.
Yes but this is Smash 4, not Melee.
I'm not saying Falco has a bad ground game as now, but I'm have difficultly seeing where the cannon part comes in his playstyle if you mean Smash 4 as well.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Yes but this is Smash 4, not Melee.
I'm not saying Falco has a bad ground game as now, but I'm have difficultly seeing where the cannon part comes in his playstyle if you mean Smash 4 as well.
That's the problem of Smash 4 Falco he has barely anything to justify his low weight and poor recovery. Which is why he sucks in Smash 4

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Kirby buffs anyone? He just needs one....

Make the wind on dream land affect his throws like Rob's uthrow. So now you can Kirbycide with fthrow, uthrow, and bthrow.

>true kill combos

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Kirby buffs anyone? He just needs one....

Make the wind on dream land affect his throws like Rob's uthrow. So now you can Kirbycide with fthrow, uthrow, and bthrow.

>true kill combos
Yup and while we're at it might as well let Ganondorf Gannoncide with up b, so he lifts you into the blastzone.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Nah just make it so you can mash out of his choke holds so it easy to escape and make him bottom tier.
Yea and make it so that if you try to Gannoncide with side b you die first and your opponent teleports to the ledge.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I'm trying to say that in Smash 4 Falco has very limited tools and is very weak
So what does bringing up his weight in Melee have to do with me suggesting a weight buff for him in Smash 4?

Are you trying to give me examples or are you saying you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I was talking about his weight in every Smash game as it doesn't change.

StraightUpSquared

Smash Rookie
Here are some ideas for :4kirby::

Firstly, and most importantly an air speed buff to a value of 1.00 (from 0.8)

Aerials:

Some changes on aerials: increasing KBG on up air: this would make it double as a combo move at very low percents and a potent kill move at higher percents. These changes would give kirby a kill confirm at around 120% out of up tilt. a damage increase to 13% would be good to balance out its high startup.

A forward air that autocancels would do wonders for kirby's neutral game. It would also allow him to follow up into pivot up tilt at low percents, making it a new, relatively safe combo starter. A damage increase to 15% and a startup reduction from frame 10 to frame 6 would also be good.

A frame 4 Nair would make a good all-purpose OOS option, since he kinda needs one (his current Nair is frame 10)

Ground moves:

Since Kirby's current dash attack is worthless give it some extra damage (9%->14%), less startup (frame 12->8) and add a bit of burst mobility to it if possible.

reduce up smash's startup (frame 14->10) it's startup is a bit inadequate factoring in kirby's run speed and traction.

Change Fthrow's angle from 75 degrees to 78 or 80 degrees. this, combined with his increased airspeed would give kirby a more threatening punish option at mid percents, since the current throw ontly combos at low percents.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
As far as I can tell, Jigglypuff has (surprisingly) not been messed with much, so let me offer my own (fairly numerous) suggestions:

My main aim for these changes is to help Jigglypuff have more of an opportunity to set up situations where she can make use of her most devastating kill move: Rest. As such, I'll start by first addressing the move iself, as it will be the center of most of the up-coming changes; I want to see her be an actual glass cannon instead of just... glass.

Rest: Puff's most powerful, but extremely risky way of ending an opponent's stock.
  • IASA: frame 230
  • Intangible: 1-27
  • Hitbox active: 2-4 → 1-2
    • Active immediately upon input; one less frame of hitbox duration. A nerf, somewhat, though the intangibility makes the difference between being frame 1 and frame 2 completely irrelevant. This is more to force the Jigglypuff player to be perfectly accurate with his execution by reducing the window of frames the opponent has to "fall" into the hitbox (though the difference between lasting 2 frames as opposed to 3 is really almost negligible as well).
  • Launch angle: 88° → 55°
    • Now capable of killing vertically or horizontally, given the opponent's DI. This may seem like a nerf, but...
  • Damage: 20.0% → 25.0%
    • Huge damage increase to maximize the reward from landing such a risky all-or-nothing attack.
  • Knockback: 100 base/66 growth → 81 base/85 growth.
    • Combined with the damage increase, starts producing 200 units of knockback (that's a lot of knockback) on a weight 100 character at around 40%. For reference, Cloud's f-smash doesn't produce that much knockback until 101%, Ganondorf's at 76%, and Bowser's at 69%. With the lower angle, Resting someone close to a side blast zone is going to be one very early stock. It's unfair, as it should be for a move that can easily mean a lost stock if whiffed.
  • Hitbox size: 3.4 (6.8) → 3.0 (6.0)
    • Again, to force the Jigglypuff player to make absolutely sure they're on-point with the spacing of the move.
  • Effect: flower
  • Trip: none
  • Hitlag/SDI: 1.0/1.0
  • Clank/Rebound: No
  • Shield damage: +25.0%
    • This would mostly play into doubles and would make staying in shield vs. Puff (currently a very powerful countermeasure against the puffball) an extremely unsafe thing to do since not power-shielding a Rest would be an immediate shield break. In singles, being frame 230 actionable means the opponent will most likely have mashed back into his senses by the time Jigglypuff wakes up from her nap.
      • Err... no, actually. This is absolutely insane even in singles because mashing out of a shield break takes a whole lot longer than the time it takes Jigglypuff to recover from using Rest, especially at low percents. This... should just not be a thing ever.
Now for the most guaranteed way to keep the opponent still long enough to land a Rest: jab-locks. Currently she has a total of six attacks that are capable of jab-locking an opponent (dash attack, f-tilt, f-smash, down smash, n-air, and f-air) and of those only frame 14, actionable frame 49 down smash is capable of locking opponents at any percentage. The easiest fix? Make her jab actually lock.

Jab 1: not very useful, but can be mixed up somewhat due to its low cooldown and the nature of its knockback.
  • IASA: frame 17 → 18
    • Adjusted for a faster jab with more useful utility.
  • Transition to jab 2: frame 8 (jab 2 starts on frame 9)
  • Jab 1 loop: frame 12 (jab 1 starts on frame 13)
  • Active: 5-6 → 3-4
    • Frame 5 is the average frame most swordsmen's jabs happen on, and stronger jabs tend to be slower than this to accommodate their power. Jigglypuff is not a swordsman, and neither is her jab itself strong at all. As such, there's no reason for her jab to be quite a slow as it is now. Most CQC character's jabs happen on frames, either, 2 or 3. ZSS and Little Mac both have frame 1 jabs.
  • Damage: 3.0% → 2.5%
    • Altered due to a change in knockback.
  • Launch angle: 60°/78° → 361°
    • Launch angle is the single most important determinant of whether a hitbox can jab-lock at all. A 361° angle is able to jab-lock from 0% to 42% or also depending on the knockback produced.
  • Knockback: 12 base/50 growth → 15 fixed/100 growth
    • And this change means Jigglypuff's jab will never lift an opponent off the ground, meaning it will jab-lock a missed tech no matter what percentage of damage the victim has accrued. An additional side effect of this change is the ability for her jab to slide opponents off of platforms into an untechable tumble, which she can then capitalize on by chasing down with another jab. And the rest is history.
  • Effect: none
  • Clank/Rebound: yes
Another way good players are able connect with their most vicious attacks is in the form of tech-chases and get-up reads. One very easy method of putting an opponent in a chase situation is to apply pressure in the form of tripping. Wario is rather famous for his ability to Waft players from a get-up read off of his late dash attack's ability to trip foes 100% of the time. Let's take one of Jigglypuff's more useless attacks (not named Rollout) and give her a similar set-up to what Wario has access to.

Down tilt: rarely used, but it can serve to send opponents off-stage at a low trajectory and set up for a ledge-guard.
  • IASA: frame 31 → 36
    • Combined with a change in active frames, the overall cooldown of the attack goes from 17 frames (13-30) to 20 frames (15-35). This is to give tripped opponents the time to input their escape before Jigglypuff is able to jump in with a frame 1 unbeatable kill move.
  • Active: 10-12 → 12-14
    • Right at the threshold of being reactable to for most people. If the possible reward is a lost stock at 40% it seems reasonable that an action should have start-up akin to a smash attack.
  • Damage: 10.0% → 6.0%
    • Damage isn't particularly important for an attack with a 100% trip rate, but another one of my aims is to put more of an emphasis on Puff's air game over her ground game, so racking up damage should be a job left to her aerial toolkit.
  • Launch angle: 20° → 0°
    • Opponents don't trip when lifted off of the ground.
  • Knockback: 50 base/55 growth → 23 base/100 growth
    • This change, combined with a damage nerf, keeps the opponents close by at first while gaining enough power that, as percentage rises, the opponent slides back far enough away from Jigglypuff during their tripping to make rolling away a safe escape option, forcing the Puff player to find other methods of closing out a stock. To tie this into her glass cannon nature, the longer an opponent lives, the more likely it is that Jigglypuff will be dying early to their rage.
  • Trip rate: none → 100%
    • This is a powerful, powerful change that exploits a player's escape habits and the main reason for why I'm choosing to nerf down tilt in almost every other aspect. In the hands of a quick, observant player this can make Jigglypuff a fearsome beast, indeed.
  • Hitag/SDI: 1.0/1.0
Most characters have in their tilt game one or two quick attacks (usually an up or down tilt) that put a grounded opponent into an unfavorable position above them in the air. This ground-to-air interaction is all the more important for a character such as Jiggs that aims to be the more overwhelming force when engaged in aerial combat. F-tilt is more of a grounded spacing option (though a rather unsafe one), and down tilt is already serving another purpose, so let's re-purpose up tilt.

Up tilt: currently used mainly as a surprise kill move.
  • IASA: frame 24 → 26
  • Acitve: 9-10 clean, 11-13 late → 6-7 clean, 8-10 late
    • Faster start-up, but with a later first actionable frame the overall cooldown increases from 9 frames (14-23) to 14 frames (11-25).
  • Damage: 9.0% clean, 8.0% late → 8.0% clean, 7.0% late
  • Launch angle: 96° clean, 88° late → 68° clean, 68° late
    • Originally, both angles serve to push the opponent up and in front of Jigglypuff (the clean frames due to hitting from behind Puff, while the late frames mostly due to hitting opponents in front of Puff). With this change opponents behind Puff will instead be kicked back as her leg rises, and opponents in front will still be kicked away, but at a lower angle. Due to Smash 4's weakened DI capability the more horizontal angles are to directly prevent up tilt to Rest from being a confirm at low percents vs. most characters. Up tilt should serve to place opponents in a position where Puff can capitalize with her aerial prowess. Of course, if you decide to play the conditioning game you can always get an air dodge read to Rest if you're confident enough.
  • Knockback: 40 base/120 growth → 60 base/69 growth
    • A change from 40 to 60 base knockback, in conjunction with altered launch angles, keeps up tilt from being a spammable option at low percentages (produces a rather large 75/76 units of knockback and 29 frames of hitstun at 0% against vs. a weight 100 character) while the neutered knockback growth will keep opponents rather close-by even as percentages start to rise (producing a weak--relatively-speaking--118/124 units of knockback and 46/48 frames of hitstun at 100% vs. the same character).
  • Clank/Rebound: Yes
As for Jigglypuff's other grounded normals they're, either, already decent enough tools (dash attack and f-smash) or inconsequential in the overall scheme of what she wants to accomplish (f-tilt, down smash). Only two more changes:

Jab 2:
  • IASA: frame 20 → 18
  • Active: 5-6 → 3-4
    • Due to Jab 1's transition frame staying at frame 8 Jab 2's start-up has to get the same change to retain the same cooldown (6 frames; 7-8, 1-4 → 5-8, 1-2) when transitioning between jabs. Jab 2's overall cooldown remains the same due to an earlier first actionable frame.
  • Damage: 3.0% → 2.5%
    • Which drops Puff's Dual Chop's (though Puff can't actually learn Dual Chop in Pokémon games without hacking and neither does Corrin take additional damage from the attack) damage output from 6.0% to 5.0%.
  • Launch angle: 55°/65° → 361°
    • Which would still allow you to extend a jab-lock before 42% if you accidentally input a Jab 2 while trying to extend a jab-lock with Jab 1.
  • Knockback: 22 base/50 growth → 32 base/50 growth
    • For added safety on-hit, due to the change in launch angle.
Up smash:
  • IASA: frame 46 → 49
  • Charge: frame 9 → 2
  • Active: 16-19 → 9-12
    • To give Puff something meaty out-of-shield outside of n-air and Rest. Overall cooldown increases from 25 frames (20-45) to 35 frames (13-48) and she still doesn't get head intangibility the way other headbutt up smashes do.
  • Damage: 14.0%/12.0% → 12.0%/10.0%
    • Nerfed due to the pretty sizable buff in the form of much faster start-up (now one frame slower than Mario's up smash)
  • Launch angle: 87° → 80°
    • More DI'able; a nerf.
  • Knockback: 20 base/105 growth → 28 base/115 growth
    • Both combinations of damage and knockback will produce 200 units of knockback--sweetspotted--at 123% vs. a weight 100 character.
Jigglypuff is not a grappling character (the fact that she can grab someone at all with those stubby arms of her is astounding) so there's no reason to alter her grab data and to further emphasize this I'd actually propose nerfs to some of her throws; basically, you shouldn't be seeking to grab things out-of-shield as Jigglypuff.

Forward throw:
  • Thrown on: frame 10, secondary hitbox (slap hitbox when Jigglypuff blows up) on frame 12.
  • Weight dependent: no
  • Damage: 5%/5% (10.0% total output) → 4%/4% (8.0% total output)
  • Angle:
    • Throw hitbox: 55° → 45°
      • This would help slightly in stage control, and really not much else.
    • Secondary hitbox: 361°
  • Knockback:
    • Throw hitbox: 30 base/100 growth → 48 base/85 growth
      • This more or less retains similar knockback compared to if the throw hitbox did 5% damage, and actually completely neuters any kill potential the throw may have had.
    • Secondary hitbox: 40 base/110 growth → 55 base/155 growth
      • This hitbox doesn't actually act on the target being thrown--aside from tacking on extra damage--but instead produces a large hitbox around Jigglypuff that's capable of hitting other fighters nearby. This only applies to doubles and acts as a "get off me" option against someone coming in to punish Puff for throwing.
  • Secondary hitbox size: 10.56 (21.12) → 10.5 (21.0)
Back throw:
  • Throw on: frame 26
  • Weight dependent: yes
  • Damage: 10.0% → 8.0%
  • Angle: 45°
  • Knockback: 25 base/90 growth → 46 base/85 growth
    • The change to base knockback helps a bit more in stage control early, but the nerf in power and knockback growth make it very much impossible for the throw to kill at reasonable percents.
Up throw:
  • Thrown on: frame 9
    • Interesting to note about this throw frame is that all throws are invincible 1-8, meaning Puff's up throw cannot be stopped once it starts.
  • Weight dependent: yes
  • Damage: 10.0% → 8.0%
  • Angle: 90°
  • Knockback: 30 base/110 growth → 71 base/85 growth
    • Base knockback increased significantly to compensate for decreased damage and knockback growth. Opponents fly farther at lower percentages, but the throw still never poses the threat of killing.
Down throw:
  • Thrown on: frame 60; secondary hitbox on frame 62
  • Weight dependent: no
  • Damage: 5.0%/5.0% → 4.0%/4.0%
    • In line with the decrease of all the other throws' damage output from 10.0% to 8.0%.
  • Angle:
    • Throw hitbox: 80°
    • Secondary hitbox: 40°
  • Knockback: 45 base/100 growth → 48 base/85 growth
Jigglypuff is not particularly reliant on specials so, outside of fixing one glaring flaw, there's very little that really needs to be done with them; Rest has already been addressed.
  • Rollout:
The biggest problem (and there are plenty) with Rollout is the fact that Jigglypuff goes into an uninterruptible spinning tumble after she hits an opponent. This can be rather devastating if she's trying to recover form off-stage as an opponent can intercept her recovery by simply getting hit which can get them an impromptu stock by punishing Jigglypuff for successfully landing an attack. The move itself is extremely predictable and easy to avoid, not to mention it requires a certain amount of charge to even deal any sort of damage, so the fact that she can possibly lose a stock just for hitting someone (I've seen Mario players get hit, then **** on Puff players by--if not outright caping her off the stage--repeatedly spamming FLUDD to keep her off-stage and there's literally nothing Puff can do to survive) is completely inexcusable. I see two ways of fixing this.

One way is to make the tumble state actionable after a certain number of frames. The most common-sense change would be for the tumble to be actionable after reaching the apex of the bounce, but that runs the risk of possibly creating a combo move so the first actionable frame would probably have to be a lot later than that. She takes 74 frames to touch the ground--whereupon she receives further landing lag--after hitting a grounded opponent, so I think the 60-70 range would be a good option, that way she still gets the pretty massive cooldown, but isn't forced to also endure landing lag afterwards and she doesn't just outright die when hitting an aerial opponent off-stage.

The second method--and my personal favorite--would be to make Relentless Rollout her standard neutral special. If you don't know, Relentless Rollout is basically just a Rollout that doesn't stop once it strikes someone; it just goes right through them, making it a much better recovery tool than standard Rollout. It only does about 1% or 2% damage per hit when it connects, but the inability for Jigglypuff to die from successfully hitting someone is a huge boon for a character that really doesn't need help dying in the first place. Inb4 "muh customs": the very nature of this thread is a counterargument for that statement.

Keep in mind that despite these changes she will always struggle against strong zoning (due to her lackluster mobility), characters that with greater range than her (which isn't saying much as most of the cast can out-space her), and she will still be dying vertically under 100% damage most of the time. I'm not really trying to shore up her weaknesses (in fact, given my suggestions I'd also suggest making her easier to kill) as much as trying to highlight and boost her strengths; and she's got some strength to show off were she simply to have a more coherent moveset.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
My main aim here is to capitalize on her glass cannon aspect by centering most of my suggestions around leading Jigglypuff to land a single move: Rest. As such, I'll start by first addressing said move, as it will be the most important tool in her arsenal and the main reason for why things are getting changed. I'm trying to make her an actual glass cannon instead of just... glass.
I disagree with this goal. While Rest is an important part of her kit, it's not the only way to play Jigglypuff. I personally prefer mainly using her aerial game, occasionally using ground moves and grabs and once in a while Rest (though Rest is so highly punishable if you miss it, and it can be really hard to land vs fast characters like Sonic and Fox).

My main issue lies with some of the Rest changes. I don't think making it harder to land is a good idea. I also don't think buffing the knockback potential that much is a good idea; she's going to be stealing stocks really early! Anyway, changing the hitbox size is really going to mess with the muscle memory of players who are used to the current hitbox. It'll take a while to adapt, and that change is likely to cost them some games until they've learned, and even then they may whiff some Rests that they otherwise wouldn't have whiffed. I also don't think changing the active frame is a good idea: Being active on frame 2 instead of frame 1 means the Jigglypuff player requires slightly more prediction, and halving the duration is going to make it wonkier in general (although it is a very small window). Just keep it at 2-4, people are used to that. Keep the hitbox as it is as well and don't buff her kill potential that much, in my opinion.

Overall, is she going to be stronger with there changes? Well, yes. I'd rather not changes here change the playstyle of the characters too much though, instead acting as buffs in general.

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Shamelessly copied from my own suggestions for 1.1.6:

• Air deceleration increased to 0.1. (Chuck a balloon forward and you'll see what I mean. It's mostly for flavor, but it does help mobility.)
  • Jab range increased slightly.
  • Ftilt range increased.
  • Utilt gets a second low hitbox that hits enemies touching Jigglypuff towards her back. It deals 4 damage, has a knockback angle of 110, and has a BKB of 50 and a KBG of 10. (All quality of life things.)
  • Dtilt KBG increased somewhat. (Makes it easier for Jigglypuff to go into her offstage game.)
  • Dash attack angle changed to 30. KBG reduced to compensate. (Same as above.)
  • Fsmash FAF reduced to 44.
  • Usmash FAF reduced to 41.
  • Dsmash FAF reduced to 42. Range increased. (If the slowest walker in the game can somehow get these on you, you deserve the juggles that will follow. This is mostly to make it easier to get opponents into the air, but it does serve to make it easier to fish for smashes as well.)
  • Nair clean BKB increased to 50. Late KBG increased to 75. Clean knockback angle reduced to 35.
  • Fair BKB increased to 40. Clean knockback angle reduced to 30, KBG reduced to compensate.
  • Bair knockback angle reduced to 30, with KBG decreased to to compensate. (Yes, they all have improved horizontal base knockback. This is to make it easier for Jigglypuff to set up walls of pain at lower percents.)
  • Uair BKB increased to 50. FAF reduced to 40. (The FAF change is a buff; the BKB increase is a compensatory nerf to make sure it doesn't combo into rest.)
  • Fthrow angle reduced to 35. KBG reduced to compensate.
  • Bthrow angle reduced to 30. KBG reduced to compensate. (Both set up for edgeguards more easily.)
  • Uthrow KBG increased to let it KO at 165%. (Energency stock cap; my intention is she gets most of her kills by knocking offstage opponents into the blast zone.)
  • Dthrow FAF reduced slightly to let it combo into Rest at kill percents if staled. (You got grabbed and thrown three times the exact same way. It was telegraphed, so enjoy your death.)
  • Rollout goes into tumble 40 frames after it connects. (Who else thinks it's stupid that you can die from a successful Rollout hit?)
  • Pound damage increased to 13. Pound gains a property that causes Jigglypuff to rebound on shield. FAF reduced to 43. (Make it a practical anti-shield option by making it safer on shield.)
  • Sing becomes a command grab, causing opponents to sleep even if they are shielding. FAF reduced to 150. (Give Sing some use as a coverage option. And thematically, even blocking opponents can hear.)
  • Rest flower strength doubled. FAF reduced to 150. (Whatever the flower was for, they probably failed miserably with it. The FAF buff accounts for the fact that not every off-the-top kill has cinematics accompanying it.)

So what did I just suggest? I'm proposing a whole kit buff: tilts, smashes, aerials, throws, and specials. These buffs are aimed at upping Jigglypuff's game. She wants to move from neutral to getting her opponent into the air offstage, and from there to kills. But right now, she has trouble actually getting that all done. She loses trades, struggles against shields, and is supposed to edgeguard with average tools in a game where most of the cast makes it back onstage for cheap.

You might have noticed that I avoided followups into rest. This is because having one powerful option in an undertuned character merely makes for a polarizing character. Not fun at all. And Jigglypuff isn't characterized in any game by her ability to kill with rest. She shouldn't be that character now.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with this goal. While Rest is an important part of her kit, it's not the only way to play Jigglypuff. I personally prefer mainly using her aerial game, occasionally using ground moves and grabs and once in a while Rest (though Rest is so highly punishable if you miss it, and it can be really hard to land vs fast characters like Sonic and Fox).

My main issue lies with some of the Rest changes. I don't think making it harder to land is a good idea. I also don't think buffing the knockback potential that much is a good idea; she's going to be stealing stocks really early! Anyway, changing the hitbox size is really going to mess with the muscle memory of players who are used to the current hitbox. It'll take a while to adapt, and that change is likely to cost them some games until they've learned, and even then they may whiff some Rests that they otherwise wouldn't have whiffed. I also don't think changing the active frame is a good idea: Being active on frame 2 instead of frame 1 means the Jigglypuff player requires slightly more prediction, and halving the duration is going to make it wonkier in general (although it is a very small window). Just keep it at 2-4, people are used to that. Keep the hitbox as it is as well and don't buff her kill potential that much, in my opinion.

Overall, is she going to be stronger with there changes? Well, yes. I'd rather not changes here change the playstyle of the characters too much though, instead acting as buffs in general.
I see what you're coming from in your reservations about my suggested changes, but at the same time Rest is a move where either you win big or you lose big. As it is now (where it can't even kill opponents until like 60%-70% or higher depending on their weight, fall speed, ceiling of the stage, etc.) it's REALLY not worth using; the risk factor very much outweighs the reward, especially since there's no safe way for Jigglypuff to land it. Combine that with how late--relatively speaking--Rest itself kills you end up with Jigglypuff dying to even the slightest rage smash attack (some from characters who can confrim into said smash attacks) before Rest can start to reliably kill. I guess the way I worded the first sentence was the wrong way to start it off. The way I meant that was in terms of the buffs proposed, not that I wanted to change her playstyle to revolve around fishing for a Rest. My proposed changes are to give Jiggs the opportunity to set up confirms into Rest, most of which require some kind of read. And, yes, you can say that Rest can still be connected with from a simple roll or air dodge read but, again, the commitment required for that is absolutely not worth the risk of missing. My proposed changes would allow her to set up a Rest from a situation that the opponent is able to escape; they're not 100% guarantees. For example, a jab lock requires the opponent to miss a tech or put himself in a position to get jabbed off of a platform. The proposed changes for down tilt would require for the Puff player to land a down tilt in the first place, then read the opponent's get-up in order to land the Rest (which has nowhere near the size of hitbox as Wario's Waft does).

I'm in no way advocating for immediate hit-confirms into Rest (which she already has, btw), and the way I changed most the the things I have so far have natural limitations to prevent a situation like that (too much cooldown, too much knockback, etc). Instead, I'm aiming to give her the tools to where a smart player can become a fearsome force with her if they're quick about capitalizing on small things like "does my opponent tend to miss techs?", "where are they most prone to rolling off of a trip?", etc. etc. She's still going to be a mainly air-based fighter due to the unreliable nature of her entire grounded kit, but now she'd have access to something that would possibly allow her to contend at the national level (where characters with some pretty pretty powerful traits run rampant, and that's being conservative; frame 1 invincible kill moves? Ridiculous aerial auto-cancels? The entirety of ZSS's flip kick? Sheik's needles? Luma? Cloud's Limit Break? Pre-patch Bayonetta? I could go on) by being able to close out opponent's stocks just as quickly as they'd be able to close out hers. That's the key here.

As for Rest's kill potential, the proposed angle change actually helps rein in the kill power due to being a lot more horizontal. Unless you're on the side of the stage closer to the blast zone when you're Rested, 200 units of knockback are still probably not going to finish you off at 40% if you DI correctly, especially on stages with wide blast zones. If I'd kept the angle vertical, then yes that's a massive boost in kill power, but that's not precisely the case here due to being more DI'able.

Last edited:

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Your changes would still polarize Jiggs towards a bait and punish where rest is the one and primary way of sealing off stocks, and the rest of her kit is used primarily to lead to rest. She still loses trades, she still can't fish for kills outside of rest, she still struggles against shields, and she still is expected to edgegaurd a cast that gets back for free, so rest would become her primary crutch in competitive play.

Congrats, you just designed a character that is easy to abuse in low-level play while being completely boring in high-level play. Now expecting fingers from other members of the community in 60... 59... 58...

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Your changes would still polarize Jiggs towards a bait and punish where rest is the one and primary way of sealing off stocks, and the rest of her kit is used primarily to lead to rest. Intentions don't mean jack in a game where every little overtuned option is abused to its limit.
Isn't bait and punish already the only way she can really play? Using her mobility to coerce an action out of the opponent? I'm not removing her entire aerial kit, you know. Yes, Rest would be a lot easier to connect if the opportunity arises, but the opportunity itself could possibly never even present itself against an opponent that always mixes up his get-up options and techs his falls. There's not even the guarantee that you as the Jiggs player would even be in the correct position to capitalize on said mistakes in the first place. As I said, she's still going to be a mainly air-based fighter. In fact, it's my aim to make her more overbearing in the air than on the ground. She's still going to be struggling against projectiles and disjoints. She still going to trade unfavorably against most attacks. The fact that Rest now has more opportunity to see use isn't going to change her playstyle. If anything, it makes you fear her air game that much more, since that's where she'd most likely be able to set up Rest situations in the first place. I mean she's not exactly a pressure character or a zoning character. She literally strikes, then backs off because she just doesn't have the tools to do anything more than that.

Last edited:

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Edited my post to clarify why this polarization is a bad idea. We've already trudged through hooh-hah, plankager, wind kong, helicopter mii, prepatch luigi, and three different kinds of ladder kill combos, so you should have some idea of how the community would react to your idea.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Edited my post to clarify why this polarization is a bad idea. We've already trudged through hooh-hah, luigi the grappler, and three different kinds of ladder kill combos, so you should have some idea of how the community would react to your idea.
Ok? Diddy had (has) access to shield+banana+a good grab+good throws, Luigi has a good grab+good throws. The difference here is that Jiggs doesn't have access to the tools Luigi and Diddy had to land their grabs, and her throws are utter garbage for anything other than stage position. Luigi can already jab-lock to up b, but that's not considered polarizing because of how difficult it can be to set up a situation where he can land the jab lock. Diddy Kong can literally pull out a banana and sit in shield all day vs. most characters if he wants to. There's a lot more examples of powerful tactics at low level play (Sheik vs. low level play is a thing, Mario vs. low-level play is a thing) but I'm not going to sit here and literally just make a list of them because there's really no point.

Am I trying to make Jiggs powerful? Yes. Are there already powerful characters in the game? Heck yes! But I don't agree that my suggestions (which have a very high chance of going completely ignored) are "polarizing" in any way that you're trying to describe. Also, I don't think stuff like "easy to abuse" or "boring" really qualify as viable counterarguments in a game littered with easy to abuse and boring options.

Oh yeah, worrying that something is "easy to abuse in low-level play" is almost literally the Sakurai "everyone should win" mindset.

Last edited:

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Understand: You're not buffing Jigglypuff. You're turning jigglypuff into some bizarre tech-chasing brawler that for some reason has high air speed, bad grabs, five jumps, floatiness, and light weight. It makes no sense.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Understand: You're not buffing Jigglypuff. You're turning jigglypuff into some bizarre tech-chasing brawler that for some reason has high air speed, bad grabs, five jumps, floatiness, and light weight. It makes no sense.
...but she can already do, and is everything that you described, so...? Tech-chasing is not some character-specific skill. Not sure where you're going with this.

I don't want to start beef with anyone here. I'm just here to offer ideas, same as almost everyone else who posts here. Like I said already, it's more than likely nothing of what I propose will have any effect on the outcome of the project.

Last edited:

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Please, I'd like to hear about this pokemon that trips her opponents on the ground and nuzzles up against them to kill them with rest.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Please, I'd like to hear about this pokemon that trips her opponents on the ground and nuzzles up against them to kill them with rest.
No need to be sarcastic, he's just offering his opinion on what he thinks would make Jigglypuff a better character.

I see what you're coming from in your reservations about my suggested changes, but at the same time Rest is a move where either you win big or you lose big.
There are a few factors to keep in mind: #1: This patch is likely to be mostly played outside of tournaments, and I doubt many tournaments will run it at all.
#2: The changes must be fun to play with and play against.
#3: It is somewhat likely that the people using the buffed characters don't also play them in tournaments.
#4: The changes should not make a character harder to use.

Some further reasoning:

#1: Tournaments are unlikely to use it for a few reasons. Firstly, it'd require them to use mods, which would complicate the progress and potentially slow down set-up time. Secondly, the players would have to get the mod as well, and many players might be reluctant to play with mods. Thirdly, big tournaments risk gaining the ire of Nintendo if they run mods.

#2: This is perhaps the most important factor. Is it fun to play against a Jigglypuff that has a Rest that can kill you really early? Perhaps, but then again, perhaps not. Imagine player X, who likes Jigglypuff, and player Y, who doesn't. X plays Jigglypuff, Y plays someone else. X uses the changes to trip and Rest into a kill fairly early, which might upset Y. Another scenario: X Rests at a hitbox that would have previously hit, but now it whiffs due to the reduced hitbox. This is very frustrating for X.

#3: My reasoning for this: If you want to play a character in a tournament you ideally don't want to practice with a buffed version at home. For instance, even if Ness would get some buffs I wouldn't implement them, since that might make playing him at tournaments harder (and also because he's high tier already, but that's besides the point).

#4: Making a character harder to use is probably fine for high-level players, but not everyone using this patch will be a high-level player, or even a mid-level player. I imagine most who download it in the first place are fairly competitive, but they might want to play some games with their friends who are more casual. Turning, say, Rest into a higher risk and higher reward might be great for players who know how to combo into Rest, but maybe less great for players who throw it out somewhat randomly.

The entirety of ZSS's flip kick? Sheik's needles? Luma? Cloud's Limit Break? Pre-patch Bayonetta? I could go on) by being able to close out opponent's stocks just as quickly as they'd be able to close out hers. That's the key here.
Though are top tier and arguably overpowered characters. The goal for this project is more around high tier/high-mid tier level. So, more around Toon Link and Captain Falcon level or so, rather than Cloud or Diddy Kong.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
:4littlemac: Needs some more distance with his Aerial Haymaker. Just so he can be gimped a little less.

:4falco: Needs to take less time holstering that gun of his.

:4bowserjr: I would like to see less end lag on his standard B... And would like to see him have up to 2 mechakoopas out at once.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I kind of want to state what could happen with Link and Ganondorf, but it might not end up happening. I mean, it's possible, but not plausible. I wouldn't mind little changes at a time.

So Link is certainly a character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U that is powerful, but not powerful enough, thus is the reason why I say that Link should be getting a lot of new buffs to make him quite a more powerful character than he already is. The changes would provide Link to be a much faster character than he already is without tampering with his already-great attack damage much, for there will be less damage nerfs than one would think.

Attributes:
Running Speed Increase: 1.3944 => 1.63
Walking Speed Increase: 1.188 => 1.344
Air Lateral Speed Increase: 0.88 => 0.93
Jumpsquat Frames Decreased: 7 => 4

Grounded Normal Attacks:
Jab 1 Start-Up Decreased: 7 => 5
Jab 1 Hitbox Active: 7-8 => 5-8
Jab 1 FAF Decreased: 28 => 21
Jab 2 FAF Decreased: 21 => 16
Jab 3 FAF Decreased: 37 => 32
Dash Attack Start-Up Decreased: 20 => 16
Dash Attack Hitbox Active: 20-23 => 16-19
Forward Tilt Start-Up Decreased: 15 => 12
Forward Tilt Hitbox Active: 15-19 => 12-19
Forward Tilt FAF Decreased: 38 => 32
Forward Tilt Damage Decreased: 13% => 12%
Up Tilt FAF Decreased: 36 => 28
Down Tilt Start-Up Decreased: 11 => 9
Down Tilt Hitbox Active: 11-12 => 9-10
Down Tilt FAF Decreased: 29 => 25

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash Hit 1 Hitboxes Changed to Be like its Tipper Hitbox.
Forward Smash Hit 2 FAF Decreased: 68 => 50
Down Smash Start-Up Decreased: 9 => 8
Down Smash Hitbox Active: 9-10 => 8-9

Throws:
Back Throw KBG Increased: 120 => 210
Up Throw Base KB Decreased: 24 => 18
Up Throw KBG Increased: 230 => 320
Down Throw Weight Dependency: No.
Down Throw Angle Shifted: 83 Degrees => 90 Degrees

Aerials:
Neutral Aerial Start-Up Decreased: 7 => 4
Neutral Aerial Early Hitbox Active: 7-8 => 4-5
Neutral Aerial Late Hitbox Active: 9-31 => 6-28
Neutral Aerial Landing Lag Decreased: 10 => 8
Forward Aerial Hit 1 Start-Up Decreased: 14 => 12
Back Aerial Hit 1 Start-Up Decreased: 6 => 3
Back Aerial Hit 1 Hitbox Active: 6-8 => 3-5
Back Aerial Hit 2 Start-Up Decreased: 18 => 14
Back Aerial Hit 2 Hitbox Active: 18-22 => 14-20

Specials:
Gale Boomerang Start-Up Decreased: 27 => 18

Ganondorf, the King of Evil, the King of Disrespect, the King of...Low Tier...oh boy, he needs a lot of changes, and providing it to him is quintessential to his benefit. Devising more power! More speed! Everything to make Ganondorf a true Smash Crusher! Oh, and more of Ganondorf's moves cause...well...shield breaks. Instead of his Aerial B-Reversed Warlock Punch and Up Tilt being able to break shields, his Forward Smash, Aerial Wizard's Foot and B-Reversed Warlock Punch will all break shield.

Attributes:
Weight Increased: 113 => 120
Running Speed Increased: 1.218 => 1.45
Air Lateral Speed Increased: 0.79 => 0.91
Jumpsquat Frames Decreased: 7 => 5

Grounded Normal Attacks:
Forward Tilt Start-Up Decreased: 10 => 8
Forward Tilt Hitbox Active: 10-12 => 8-10
Forward Tilt FAF Decreased: 40 => 32
Down Tilt KBG Decreased: 100 => 80
Down Tilt Angle Shifted: 80/70/60 => 90/90/10

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash FAF Decreased: 60 => 52
Forward Smash KBG Increased: 83/75 => 87/81
Forward Smash Base Damage Increased: 24% => 26%
Forward Smash Shield Damage Added: +13%
Up Smash FAF Decreased: 42 => 39

Grabs:
All Grab Ranges Increased by 1 Unit. Range: In front of Ganondorf.
Standing Grab FAF Decreased: 36 => 32
Dash Grab FAF Decreased: 45 => 37
Pivot Grab FAF Decreased: 42 => 35

Throws:
Back Throw Base KB Increased: 30 => 36
Back Throw KBG Increased: 130 => 170

Aerials:
Forward Aerial Auto-Cancel Frames Decreased: 55> => 26>
Down Aerial Meteor Hitbox Y Position Moved Down by 2 Units to hit grounded opponents.
Down Aerial Auto-Cancel Frames Decreased: 32> => 28>

Specials:
Warlock Punch B-Reversed Base KB Increased: 30 => 40
Warlock Punch B-Reversed Damage Increased: 38% => 40%
Warlock Punch B-Reversed Aerial Base KB Increased: 40 => 60
Warlock Punch B-Reversed Aerial Damage Increased: 40% => 50%
Flame Choke Grab Hitbox X Position Moved Forward by 2 Units.
Flame Choke Aerial Grab Hitbox X Position Moved Forward by 2 Units.
Wizard's Foot Aerial Late Damage Increased: 14% => 17%
Wizard's Foot Landing Damage Increased: 8% => 10%
Wizard's Foot Aerial Late Shield Damage Added: +10%
Wizard's Foot Landing Shield Damage Added: +5%

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Radical Larry Radical Larry

With those attribute changes to Link, who needs Toon Link? Anyway, Toon Link was designed to be a faster and lighter version of Link, so while Link could afford to have some speed buffs, he should still move slower than Toon Link. The only exception is falling speed, where Toon Link already falls slower than Link.

RedMarf78

Smash Cadet
Umm, you realize that you made Ganon's up smash have more shieldstun than it does endlag. Also, you made Ganon's f-smash deal as much knockback at zero as roy's sweetspotted f-smash at 60%. Characters would literally always be at death percent. You made his back throw able to consistently take stocks at 60 percent no rage. You also gave his grabs the best frame data in the game. The buffs you listed for Ganon are unrealistic to say the least.

P.S. You also made Link's up-throw as strong as finishing touch

Last edited:
Top Bottom