• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slowbro Style 01 [Gen 5 OU DW Tourney] ~ Grand Finals!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You have to put yourself on the list in advance and wait so you can host your tourney. This is standard and enforceable, you cannot skip the queue. We do this so the community doesn't have an overload on tournaments, so respect that decision.
nope.jpg

A queue is how we run things around here.
nope.jpg

The queue is official.

You cannot host a tournament unless you put yourself in the queue and wait your turn.
nope.jpg
nattorei.jpg.png.htm.mkv.com

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah, this is setting precedent for the queue to mean nothing, and that's a big no-no.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I'd be fine with the queue meaning nothing tbh. People just need to be responsible and only sign up for something if they know they'll be able to complete their matches. The biggest problems come from when people can't get a hold of each other, so I would suggest being more specific and setting certain times to play when you contact your opponent instead of "I'll be free from -- to -- on this day."

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We let you get away with Nattorei because of the Gen shift, nobody was going to run those Gen IV tournies anyways because of Gen V. Other times IDK what happened. Either we didn't have the queue or something of that regard, or maybe it wasn't official yet or IDK whatever **** it was. We're not letting crap like this slide anymore.

Spire

III
BRoomer
From my understanding, Tery was next in the Queue. Now Chibo, you can't just circumvent this order. Tery's will commence and this will follow in suit.

If you refuse, this will be locked and your tourney hosting privileges will be suspended. Thank you.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Or you can ladder and get better while you wait, and also participate on the tournies that are started on Smogon/PO's servers.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I have been on, and I am all huh lol

btw I put BLM on the list b4 I saw Spire's posts

I'm discussing with him and the staff about what to do with this currently

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'd think just lock it and re-open/bump it when it's your turn.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Look, if this saves the Staff any trouble, I will just let Chibo skip me on the queue. No more stupid bull**** drama. HOWEVER. WE ARE NOT LETTING THIS HAPPEN AGAIN.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Chibo brought up the idea of running two tourneys at once. Can you guys handle simultaneous tournaments? We have simultaneous battles going for the E4.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We DO have simultaneous tournies. We're just only going as far as to run two at a time, we're also being smart and not starting them at the same time; and keeping them paced out.

We're handling it as well as we can.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Look, if this saves the Staff any trouble, I will just let Chibo skip me on the queue. No more stupid bull**** drama. HOWEVER. WE ARE NOT LETTING THIS HAPPEN AGAIN.
I don't want to skip you on the queue. If we do a queue everyone should respect the rules, myself included. However...

Chibo brought up the idea of running two tourneys at once. Can you guys handle simultaneous tournaments? We have simultaneous battles going for the E4.
I don't see the need for any queue at all. With one tournament going on each member only needs to be do something for 10-20 mins every 1-2 weeks (one battle/set per round), which is practically nothing. Two tourneys only doubles that which is still nothing. A queue isn't needed until activity becomes a problem for games players are in if they are busy elsewhere, and we don't have tons of people rushing to host tourneys. Honestly just a simple "no one is allowed to host more than one event at a time" should be fine imo.

Tery, there's no reason why you shouldn't run your event now imo. Also since yours is UU, Gates is Uber, and this is OU, it kind of all works well together imo

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We've had two tournies start and run at the same time before, both died.

I know it sounds amazing to you on paper, but it doesn't actually work.

The way we've been doing things by starting a tourney once another is more than halfway through is simple and effective. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Battles don't necessarily equal tournaments, though. Last time we ran two tournaments simultaneously--UU and something--both crashed. But if the community thinks it is fine then it's fine.

Chibo said:
Tery, there's no reason why you shouldn't run your event now imo. Also since yours is UU, Gates is Uber, and this is OU, it kind of all works well together imo
Just curious as to why you think the tournament I'll be hosting is UU?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
My mistake, I thought you said somewhere before it was
Nope. I've never said anything about it, haha.

Chibo said:
How did two tournaments crash?
The UU tournament did not get past the second page. And the other...I don't even remember, if that serves as proof of what happened to it. We've done it before that, too IIRC. Again, if people are fine, then it's fine.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yes, but why didn't it get past the second stage. I'm completely sure that even 3 or 4 tournaments could run concurrently. As long as the mods are smart about it and keep on the players that is

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Apparently having two tournies start at once just doesn't work here. Both of them get tangled up in each other and die.

It just happens.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea I meant TO, I rushed to type it between rounds of plants v zombies lol

if two tourneys failed one time, then you guys are just quitting trying to do that and not giving it another shot. A bunch of people have signed up for my tourney and gates, they're clearly ready to try and do two+. It's not just about the players here, hosting a tourney also has a responsibility to get players to do their matches.

You realize Gates' tourney will take about 11 weeks to complete right?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Is it a crime to take it slow and be careful with tournies?

We have a terrible history of tournies dying and stalling.

Don't push us to pick up the pace if we don't want to. This is our community, don't try and force this on us.

Take it slow like STEELIX STEELIX STEELIX STEELIX

M.K

Level 55
It's not a crime, and your reasoning for doing so makes alot of sense.

It's just important to find the right balance between "pace" and "commitment". An 11 week commitment (which, is a maximum, because that's if every round every pair competed every 2 weeks) is very large, and may be a contributing factor to drop outs. Because, let's face it, usually the last 2-4 people who join the tournament are people we've never even seen before within the community.

It's just important to find the balance.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We're probably at the balance as is.

Two tournies can be hosted at once, as long as at least one of them is half over before the other begins.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
A one time occurrence of two tournaments failing doesn't mean we can never do such things again or need a queue.

The numbers absolutely don't make sense. People play pokemon all the time, log on to PO, play some matches, etc etc. One set every 1-2 weeks is nothing at all. Two sets every 1-2 weeks is still nothing.

This is our community, don't try and force this on us.
This is everyone's community. You do not rule over it with an iron fist.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think Chibo just mad cause his tourney got delayed.

Top Bottom