• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Skyworld Hub - "Soaring through the Skys"

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
just to name a few, you look really good when you :
always land arrows, ledge canceled upperdash into edge guard, dash slide into smash attack

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys! I've been getting some Pit matches in and I'm having a lot of fun. What would be the most important resources that I would have to read to understand his mechanics?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hey guys, as you can see I'm new to the Pit boards.

I'm a dedicated Fox main but have always loved Pit (he was a strong second for me in Brawl, but his major changes, like Fox, made him pretty awkward for me in this game) but just recently decided that I really do want to put the time into him.

You guys will see me lurking around occasionally posting here and there. I'm working on my Pit right now and definitely finding that he's a tough character to use really well, which is awesome, because I love characters with a high skill ceiling (Fox <3).

Anyway, any preliminary tips you guys have for a new Pit player? I've been playing fairly defensively, really focusing on my spacing and abusing his really solid edgeguarding game. I've been finding his charged arrows to be fairly tricky to land, however, so I've been trying to focus on getting that down. Really satisfying to kill off the side with a charged arrow though, such a beautiful finish.
You're off to a good start, by the sounds of it. You should definitely read some of the guides here and discuss tips with other Pit mains - that's how I learned~ :3

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Not a Pit Main, but I quite like him! =3

Do you guys like the Brawl or Smash 4 Version of "Power of Flight"? I'm quite a fan of the Smash 4 version, the Brawl felt so slippery (or maybe I'm just Lord of the Scrubs).

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

Do you guys like the Brawl or Smash 4 Version of "Power of Flight"? I'm quite a fan of the Smash 4 version, the Brawl felt so slippery (or maybe I'm just Lord of the Scrubs).
I never played much brawl and honestly feel good about that, so I couldn't tell you

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
brawl up b was better, though not strictly. now you can get to the edge quickly, so if they arent ready youre fine. other then that is really easy to interrupt.
plus in brawl you could use it OoS and do neat stuff with it on stage, not just as a means of recovery

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Smash 4, but I will say that I am quite biased in that respect. I agree with your notion of Brawl's recovery being "slippery", I could never figure it out. I find 4's much more simple yet practical. It's a great recovery either way, I just happen to think the new one is cooler and easier to handle~ :3

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Pit's recovery would've been awesome if he had a hitbox. At least Pits recovery distance makes up for the no hitbox.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Pit's recovery would've been awesome if he had a hitbox. At least Pits recovery distance makes up for the no hitbox.
I play Zelda, so I'm pretty used to have the best recovery move in the game. while at the same time, having worst of everything in most other moves QQ

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
It would have been good. One of the main things I have been practicing is wall tech with Pit. While it is necessary with every character, I often find myself having to rely on it more with Pit due to his lack of a hit-box on his up-b.

Last edited:

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
So, I've brought a New 3DS and was hoping its right C-stick could be used for aiming in Uprising while the left Circle-pad is used for movement, but this doesn't appear to be the case. I've fiddled with the control options with no success. It would appear if the Circle-pad is assigned to one command so is the C-stick. Has anyone else had any success? I've always been really curious to see how the game would feel if my crippling trait of being left-handed didn't come into play.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So, I've brought a New 3DS and was hoping its right C-stick could be used for aiming in Uprising while the left Circle-pad is used for movement, but this doesn't appear to be the case. I've fiddled with the control options with no success. It would appear if the Circle-pad is assigned to one command so is the C-stick. Has anyone else had any success? I've always been really curious to see how the game would feel if my crippling trait of being left-handed didn't come into play.
The new C-stick basically acts as a Circle Pad Pro for games that support it. So it can not do anything that couldn't be done before. In Uprising's case, I think you could only use it to move so left handed people could hold the 3DS in their right hand and the stylus with their left.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
The new C-stick basically acts as a Circle Pad Pro for games that support it. So it can not do anything that couldn't be done before. In Uprising's case, I think you could only use it to move so left handed people could hold the 3DS in their right hand and the stylus with their left.
Yes, that's possible I've done that, but what I was hoping to do is make it so I can aim using the C-stick and move with the left Circle Pad.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Yes, that's possible I've done that, but what I was hoping to do is make it so I can aim using the C-stick and move with the left Circle Pad.
Right, and I'm saying you could not so that with circle pad pro before, so you can not do it now with the c-stick.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't think there's anything more sublime for Pit than sweetspotting a falling d-air and hearing the divine crash of flesh on floor and then duly smashing your opponent off the stage for a free KO.

So satisfying.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I know Pit isn't anywhere close to a low tier character but I feel like he could use a few buffs. His aerial damage output is awful and none of his aerials have much KO potential on stage. You can actually sour spot someone with a neutral A and do zero damage despite the animation and sound effects indicating otherwise. I think it's the only move in the game capable of hitting someone but doing 0 damage. I think his neutral and forward airs should be buffed from 2-5% to 6-8% with slight knock back increase in both. His Guardian Orbitars should have less startup. I can live with the end lag.

Last edited:

IzunaDroppuh

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfamouzShadow
3DS FC
2852-8054-4919
Thats always great when it happens. I personally prefer the wall tech down spike. Happens alot when I fight falcons

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
It's all about the arrow snipes. That feeling of sniping someone in Bubble and KOing them, or constantly pelting them with arrows so recovery is impossible. Or sniping a Ness's PK Thunder, causing him to fall to his death. It all depends on the matchup, really.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
I understand this might change depending on the opponent, but what stages are generally good and bad for Pit?

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Lylat is actually my first stage to be striked. Sure, it is possible to recover, but if you don't get the spacing exactly right, you can die incredibly early or lose rage.

My personal favourite stage is Battlefield, due to the platforms. Not only do they serve as a means to shark, but it's also very easy to juggle your opponents from one platform to another as they struggle to get back to ground level. I'm also quite fond of Castle Siege, especially the starting area. The small ground space and low platforms can allow you to pressure your opponent well.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Battlefield is definitely my go-to Pit stage. Those platforms are so useful for aerials, and the slope on the edge makes recovering a bit easier. Lylat is tricky; I find that in certain instances, the tilt of the stage makes it great for cancelling the end lag on Upperdash/Electroshock arm, but as SwoodGrommet said, that same edge can make recovering really awkward.

I feel like Delfino Plaza has also always been a decent Pit stage. He can navigate the various transformations well with his multiple jumps, and again, platforms are always good. Pit can also hold up well on FD, even without the advantage of platforms.

I would be wary of any stage where you can get stuck under the bottom when trying to recover; some of the omega stages come to mind.

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
Going to chime in with Battlefield as well. Battlefield has consistently remained a great stage for swordsmen because of all the platform shenanigans we can perform. The height of it's highest platform also lets us land in relative safety after being juggled. Final Destination/some Omegas have found their way to my heart too though, mostly because of the liberty they allow Pit to have when using Guiding Bow. No platforms mean no interruptions for arrow loops and general maneuvers. This means more setups for us and a harder time for the opponent when approaching. I still really enjoy the overall feel of Battlefield though - it feels just right for Pit.

Absolutely despise Halberd on the other hand. We die soo fast from that low ceiling. Also as was mentioned some Omega Stages' corners are nightmares for our UpB (omega Lylat, Norfair, and that Falcon stage come to mind).

PIRATE_DiToP

Smash Rookie
I know if theyre at the 100's you can Dair right above them and most of the time theyll bounce up just enough to land a good up smash and get kill.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Only recently started to play Pit just a bit, trying to adopt him as a secondary, and I did notice that I liked Battlefield a lot more than any other stage for Pit. The platforms don't bother me at all (unlike if I was playing Sheik for example) and in fact they actually kinda help because you can snipe for up smashes from below if your opponent is on either lower platforms.

redblade

Smash Cadet
I'd like to speak up in favor of wider stages like Final Destination and Town and City. Stages like Battlefield, while great for platform shenanigans, can get a little cramped if you're trying to zone opponents out with arrows--especially when facing characters who can just rush you down, like Captain Falcon--so the extra width yields a decent amount of breathing room.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Platforms are a Pit's best friend. Battlefield is definitely Pit's best stage, and it's always in our best interest to keep a consistent eye on it for those hard to win match-ups. Pit's neutral game is pretty solid, but those platforms give him so many other options.

Town and city is pretty good too. A lot of space to breathe for you Pits who prefer to arrow camp. All of the transitions pretty much work in his favor, so it's a fairly decent choice.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
I've recieved a lot of compliments and praise for my arrow antics. Good arrow accuracy while your opponent is in the air, off-stage, or right in the blast zone always gets you flash and style points.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Town & City is my best stage: platforms and space to maneuver, chill music helps me focus on the game.

Lylat Cruise is my worst stage: cramped space and strange lip on ledges makes me scream naughty words.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Town & City is my best stage: platforms and space to maneuver, chill music helps me focus on the game.

Lylat Cruise is my worst stage: cramped space and strange lip on ledges makes me scream naughty words.
It's rather agonizing whenever I'm on For Glory, and I have to fight on the omega version of Lylat cruise, especially with Pit's recovery. It's rather rage inducing with those awkward ledges. Like what even....?

Overall, I don't see that stage being very reliable for Pit. It feels way to compacted in comparison to its original Brawl counter part. Not to mention it's not very friendly with Pit's recovery. Stay away from it.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
I just like Town and City as a stage by itself; it has platforms, which I like, and the edges aren't so bad as well. I don't like Lylat's edges, and I don't even go there much anyway so I don't lose anything from it. Battlefield is good, pretty much what everybody else has been saying lol. I tried Halberd at a tourney this last week, and I got KO'd very early by a Dr. Mario- granted, I can't practice regular stages with anybody because our scene is almost non-existent here :(

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
my only real complaint on Pit's air game is his horrid landing lag making his ability to approach and combo start with his air game impossible. My other problem is people seem to fall out of every dam multihit I have. Fmash, Nair and Uair, I have had people fall out on multiple occasions because these moves don't use Autolink angles. I also think people should stop calling him high tier, but that's just me.

You can actually sour spot someone with a neutral A and do zero damage despite the animation and sound effects indicating otherwise. I think it's the only move in the game capable of hitting someone but doing 0 damage. I think his neutral and forward airs should be buffed from 2-5% to 6-8% with slight knock back increase in both.
His Nair doesn't really have a sour spot, It's not a sex kick after all. It's made up of 4 hitboxes that do .7% each with a final hit of of 4%. People just fall out of the move because it doesn't use auto link angles so if you hit someone in a funny/dumb spot on the move they will fall out before a second hit (a known dumb spot; the center of the ****ing move). I do think in Fairs current state it's situational cause of damage and landing lag

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
my only real complaint on Pit's air game is his horrid landing lag making his ability to approach and combo start with his air game impossible. My other problem is people seem to fall out of every dam multihit I have. Fmash, Nair and Uair, I have had people fall out on multiple occasions because these moves don't use Autolink angles. I also think people should stop calling him high tier, but that's just me.

His Nair doesn't really have a sour spot, It's not a sex kick after all. It's made up of 4 hitboxes that do .7% each with a final hit of of 4%. People just fall out of the move because it doesn't use auto link angles so if you hit someone in a funny/dumb spot on the move they will fall out before a second hit (a known dumb spot; the center of the ****ing move). I do think in Fairs current state it's situational cause of damage and landing lag
Sour spot or not it's the only move in the game capable of hitting but not actually doing any damage. Pit's aerials are grossly underpowered in terms of damage output and knock back. The moves seem so powerful based on their duration but they have neither damage output nor knock back. His nair is the worst too with horrendous recovery frames. This forces Pit to KO from the ground which makes him ineffective against good players.

My theory is that Sakurai purposely gave Pit big weaknesses to avoid being accused of bias.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Sour spot or not it's the only move in the game capable of hitting but not actually doing any damage. Pit's aerials are grossly underpowered in terms of damage output and knock back. The moves seem so powerful based on their duration but they have neither damage output nor knock back. His nair is the worst too with horrendous recovery frames. This forces Pit to KO from the ground which makes him ineffective against good players.

My theory is that Sakurai purposely gave Pit big weaknesses to avoid being accused of bias.
I mean Nair does damage it's just not visual because the game doesn't write anything that isn't a natural number. If someone were to tell me "buff Pit's air game"
  • Nair; less start up
  • Fair; more damage, less landing lag
  • Uair; less landing lag
  • Dair; more hitstun
  • Bair; no change
His Bair is still a decent kill option, specially when paired with ledge trumps and Dair is just lacking a little more hit stun for it to be good. I mean let's say Pit was given more scaling KB on his Fair and Nair. He'd knock someone of stage and just put a big ole long lasting hitbox of "nope, get back there" every time someone tried to recover at medium %s (he still does this now at higher percents). Better landing lag fair could give him access to Fthrow or Dsmash at higher %s and would fit his "jack of all trades" everyone seems to willing to call him (even though offensively I think he sucks)

My theory is Sakurai shouldn't be balancing his games. he's done it 4 times now and this **** is getting ridiculous

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'd play as Pit more if he just had more killing power. The upperdash arm in particular honestly feels weaker than it should be.

Top Bottom