• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Skyworld Hub - "Soaring through the Skys"

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
LancerStaff LancerStaff can pit frame cancel his aerials or get any benefit out of them?
Frame canceling is where hitfreeze and landing lag overlap right? Dair would benefit, but any other aerial wouldn't. I've never noticed a frame cancel, and I'm not familiar enough with the mechanic to say if it'd have a major effect, but I can't say I've tried to get one either.

Reminds me, a falling Dair is a good deal safer, in raw frame data, then a rising Dair. Also meaning that it's easier to go Dair spike > Usmash or potentially other combos.

If this cold would stop messing with me so much I'd be testing this stuff. And not oversleeping by an hour, whoops...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So the Cloud salt is still real it seems.

Okay, really glad the update didn't come today. Because I feel like **** right now.

Besides that though, wasn't too fond of the direct. Didn't care for much TP to start with, (without glitches hehe (that they'll patch, RIP Longjump attack 2007-2016)) and the rest of it was mostly old news from Japan besides Smash. I mean, Starfox, my big hype game got pushed off to April... And Bill made it sound like it got un-delayed for a moment there. Free updates are nice but nothing really of importance. Blah blah RPGs that have been in Japan for like two years, no big turnaround on Paper Jam, Mario Maker getting basically nothing as far as I'm concerned, Linkle I can't really get behind because she's not like Linebeck or something and I'm totally burned-out on HW, and then both Japan and Europe got some good VC in Mother 3 and the DS Zeldas (I like 'em more then TP, so sue me) respectively while the Americas got shafted.

On the bright side though, got some mild surprises in Megaman and MN9, the later I've been intentionally ignoring so I'm not hyper spoiled. Cloud actually looks like an interesting character, although I'm not considering picking him up or anything. But the fact that we're getting the presentation after Cloud is a big thing everybody seems to be neglecting... Like, what could outdo Cloud in terms of shock factor? What could they be hiding that's more important then Cloud? I mean... It's also supposed to be the last SSBU presentation and most likely introduce the last character DLC we'll get. Unless they're planning on dumping a truckload of content on us (Target Test plz) I can't fathom why they need at least twenty minutes to talk about it.
What about Fire Emblem: Fates?

:135:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Frame canceling is where hitfreeze and landing lag overlap right? Dair would benefit, but any other aerial wouldn't. I've never noticed a frame cancel, and I'm not familiar enough with the mechanic to say if it'd have a major effect, but I can't say I've tried to get one either.

Reminds me, a falling Dair is a good deal safer, in raw frame data, then a rising Dair. Also meaning that it's easier to go Dair spike > Usmash or potentially other combos.

If this cold would stop messing with me so much I'd be testing this stuff. And not oversleeping by an hour, whoops...
Thanks and oh well lol hope you get better soon!
(Totally out of general concern and not because you need to test this stuff for us :awesome:)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So the Cloud salt is still real it seems.

What about Fire Emblem: Fates?

To be blunt I think fates is ****, and I've thought this since it released in Japan. Been following the game extremely closely as a favor to a friend so she can get info without accidentally spoiling the plot, and, well... I guess I'll spare you all the rant. Unless somebody actually wants to hear it.

On a lighterish note, it's not like my cold is serious or anything. It just somewhat compounds other issues and the gist is that I feel screwy with or without the cold medicine. On the bright side I'm mostly getting more sleep then usual, with right now pretty much being the exception.

I really want to get back to testing stuff though. I just never really feel like it when I have time. That and there's the big ol' patch of replay doom looming overhead and I'm seriously behind on the patch notes and it feels like if I don't get to it I'll be patch testing without having finished the work from before... And I really really need to organize stuff and not just let it get lost in the social.

Actually I've been thinking about it and I was hoping I could hijack SSBWIKI and just post stuff there where it's relatively organized already. If I discover, oh say, an oddly specific way to cancel the endlag on GOs (before anybody asks I'm just making it up and I'm so tired and blaaaarg no questions) then instead of leaving it floating around here it'll have a neat and tidy table on the GOs page on the wiki.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
To be blunt I think fates is ****, and I've thought this since it released in Japan. Been following the game extremely closely as a favor to a friend so she can get info without accidentally spoiling the plot, and, well... I guess I'll spare you all the rant. Unless somebody actually wants to hear it.

On a lighterish note, it's not like my cold is serious or anything. It just somewhat compounds other issues and the gist is that I feel screwy with or without the cold medicine. On the bright side I'm mostly getting more sleep then usual, with right now pretty much being the exception.

I really want to get back to testing stuff though. I just never really feel like it when I have time. That and there's the big ol' patch of replay doom looming overhead and I'm seriously behind on the patch notes and it feels like if I don't get to it I'll be patch testing without having finished the work from before... And I really really need to organize stuff and not just let it get lost in the social.

Actually I've been thinking about it and I was hoping I could hijack SSBWIKI and just post stuff there where it's relatively organized already. If I discover, oh say, an oddly specific way to cancel the endlag on GOs (before anybody asks I'm just making it up and I'm so tired and blaaaarg no questions) then instead of leaving it floating around here it'll have a neat and tidy table on the GOs page on the wiki.
I would't mind hearing your rant :p currently undecided on whether i should get it.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

I would mind hearing the rant. So long as it's spoiler free (I to have been trying to stay spoiler free, cause then it adds hype!)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

If it ain't a horrible rant, then rant

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, didn't see that coming...

Won't even get in depth with the story, but it's both not all that strong and several key points get backpedaled quickly. Not a trainwreck like Awakening, but with how Nintendo's been hyping it I can't help but be underwhelmed with what's basically a typical FE story on every route. The characters are only moderately better then Awakening's shallow stereotypes. And the third route is clearly the "true" route too, so the whole choice thing feels meaningless.

Speaking of the third route, I don't think Japan even truely has it yet. We know everything about it because everything is already on the cart besides the option to play it. Yep, Nintendo's stooped to on cart DLC. And of course all the other DLC is as comically overpriced as it was in Awakening.

Gameplay wise, they did make an effort to stimy Awakening's problems, but they're not gone either. Pair up is still completely necessary in tough areas and doesn't require much skill or thought, grinding remains necessary, the difficultly jump between the difficulties is still too great, and the maps are mostly vanilla route missions. On the bright side Lunatic is decent, and also fixes stat growths so you're not just praying that RNG doesn't ruin the run. It's underwhelming because previous Fire Emblems did it all much better, and there's other tactical RPGs out there that are more fun then Fire Emblem ever was. The Shin Megami Tensi spinoff Devil Survivor, for one. Two games so far with a third being discussed. More recently there's Stella Glow, I think... Haven't looked at it much but I've been hearing nothing but good things about the game. Advance Wars is my personal favorite.

Probably the biggest problem I have with Fates is how it's attracting a completely different audience. Not expanding it's audience, just targeting completely different people. Problem numero uno is the addition of the difficultly level below casual. Whenever somebody falls in battle they come back next turn when you play that mode. I mean... Casual was okay because you still actually had to think to win, just wasn't as hard. Resurrection mode or whatever requires no thought at all. Maybe if the game was being marketed to children it'd make sense, but as it stands it's not helping their image after what people think of the series after Awakening. And there's this creepy-*** thing where you can look at a character you've S-supported with stripped down to their underwear. No, this isn't a model viewer. It's, for a lack of better words, otaku pandering. It's like they don't care about gameplay anymore.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Won't even get in depth with the story, but it's both not all that strong and several key points get backpedaled quickly. Not a trainwreck like Awakening, but with how Nintendo's been hyping it I can't help but be underwhelmed with what's basically a typical FE story on every route. The characters are only moderately better then Awakening's shallow stereotypes. And the third route is clearly the "true" route too, so the whole choice thing feels meaningless.

Speaking of the third route, I don't think Japan even truely has it yet. We know everything about it because everything is already on the cart besides the option to play it. Yep, Nintendo's stooped to on cart DLC. And of course all the other DLC is as comically overpriced as it was in Awakening.

Gameplay wise, they did make an effort to stimy Awakening's problems, but they're not gone either. Pair up is still completely necessary in tough areas and doesn't require much skill or thought, grinding remains necessary, the difficultly jump between the difficulties is still too great, and the maps are mostly vanilla route missions. On the bright side Lunatic is decent, and also fixes stat growths so you're not just praying that RNG doesn't ruin the run. It's underwhelming because previous Fire Emblems did it all much better, and there's other tactical RPGs out there that are more fun then Fire Emblem ever was. The Shin Megami Tensi spinoff Devil Survivor, for one. Two games so far with a third being discussed. More recently there's Stella Glow, I think... Haven't looked at it much but I've been hearing nothing but good things about the game. Advance Wars is my personal favorite.

Probably the biggest problem I have with Fates is how it's attracting a completely different audience. Not expanding it's audience, just targeting completely different people. Problem numero uno is the addition of the difficultly level below casual. Whenever somebody falls in battle they come back next turn when you play that mode. I mean... Casual was okay because you still actually had to think to win, just wasn't as hard. Resurrection mode or whatever requires no thought at all. Maybe if the game was being marketed to children it'd make sense, but as it stands it's not helping their image after what people think of the series after Awakening. And there's this creepy-*** thing where you can look at a character you've S-supported with stripped down to their underwear. No, this isn't a model viewer. It's, for a lack of better words, otaku pandering. It's like they don't care about gameplay anymore.
But...but the story and gameplay doe...it's sexy

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I'm not even that hyped for Fates tbh

It's really seems more like fanservice than actual planning and thinking

And that casual mode

It's so disgusting

Humans don't suddenly heal their wounds after one turn

like what

And the wait kinda killed it

So yeah

I'm not even good at FE games so I guess it doesn't really matter to me

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

And that casual mode

It's so disgusting

like what

So yeah

Don't judge a game by its fanservice(Smash Bro and Gravity Falls)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

While I can see your points of criticism (though I still doesn't change my hype) there are a few things I would like to just point out a few things in your rant.

At the end were you said you've said that it's basically fanservice with the striping and what not. Well, I just want to say, that's the Japaness version. How do you know that will be in the Western version? Because I better knowing how some people reacted to the Pokemon Amie in Fates, I doubt that they will put the stripping into the Western version.

Now, back to the start, while I do agree with you that the Middle path might be consider canonically the 'correct path', you should see the number of people who have been choosing Nohr path. I not to sure what it is about it, but it seem the more popular one. Also, not too sure what you mean 'typical FE story" since I have only played Awakening, but even with Awakenings "average' story, I still really liked it.

With the Piar Up system, yeah it still far from perfect, but that have manage to improve on it. Also, they now seeming to start to bring back that you need to really think about what moves you are going to make. Also, I don't think you could complain out grind since that is in every RPG ever to exist. Though I do give you the New Phoniex mode. Yes, it does help ease people into the FE series, but Newcomer did just as good a job.This is just silly.

All in all, you do make some valid points of complaint. However, I think I am still going to get the game and enjoy the crap out of it.

And that casual mode

It's so disgusting

like what

So yeah

The game as two modes and everyone assumes it just fan service. I think you guys are forgetting to put the game in context with Japans culture.

Also, It's Phoniex mode you're think of. Casual mode isn't a thing.

If the waiting killed a game, the Rayman Legends wouldn't have been as good as it is.

Just saying.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Also, It's Phoniex mode you're think of. Casual mode isn't a thing.
Ah yes thank you~ :happysheep:

If the waiting killed a game, the Rayman Legends wouldn't have been as good as it is.

Just saying.
I meant the wait killed the hype for me at least not the actual content
I'm sure alot of people will enjoy Fates~ :happysheep:

But me? Meh, I'll just watch

Oh god I don't even want to say my opinion anymore

okay done

Anyway is this place no longer the land of the double posts because we got mods now? :emptysheep:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

okay done

Anyway is this place no longer the land of the double posts because we got mods now? :emptysheep:
Never thought of that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Let's change that...once again...again

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You're welcome :3

okay done

I guess that's fair enough. It's very similar to what Zelda U is like at the moment.

That's fine. Though if I enjoy, I will be recommending it.

Oh that's fine, you can keep saying your opinion. I don't mind :)

*shrugs*

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You're welcome :3

I guess that's fair enough. It's very similar to what Zelda U is like at the moment.

That's fine. Though if I enjoy, I will be recommending it.

Oh that's fine, you can keep saying your opinion. I don't mind :)

*shrugs*
It's the internet, opinions aren't to be allowed

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Lol judging from my sleep schedule lately I'm getting better. Then again I'm saying this while coughing pretty bad so :bee:.

Zelda U I'm kinda skeptical about. ALBW I'd say suffered from a lack of structure in both story and gameplay. Meanwhile my favorite Zelda games, WW and SS, were heavily structured and that I don't think hurts either game. What ALBW did wrong was that it didn't advance the difficultly whatsoever from one dark world dungeon to another... Megaman for example always had one or two easy bosses to buster kill and then the boss weaknesses and Rush items would usually paint a line to follow that would usually put the hardest stages last. Even though it was non-linear there was still a solid difficultly curve to follow. The non-linearity added to the experience because if you were just playing casually and experimenting with boss weaknesses you might end up beating the boss or finding an upgrade, rewarding exploration by making other stages easier in tangible ways. In ALBW you progress through the dungeons the same way no matter what order you take. You have about fifty ways to progress through the game, but to progress through the eight dungeons you only have one way. Whereas in Megaman your current arsenal has a major effect on how you play. Chill Penguin first is massively different from Spark Mandrill first, for example. Zelda I don't think can convincingly make your current inventory matter within a dungeon without either changing dungeons as you progress or a convoluted system of sub areas within dungeons that require other dungeon items.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lol judging from my sleep schedule lately I'm getting better. Then again I'm saying this while coughing pretty bad so :bee:.

Zelda U I'm kinda skeptical about. ALBW I'd say suffered from a lack of structure in both story and gameplay. Meanwhile my favorite Zelda games, WW and SS, were heavily structured and that I don't think hurts either game. What ALBW did wrong was that it didn't advance the difficultly whatsoever from one dark world dungeon to another... Megaman for example always had one or two easy bosses to buster kill and then the boss weaknesses and Rush items would usually paint a line to follow that would usually put the hardest stages last. Even though it was non-linear there was still a solid difficultly curve to follow. The non-linearity added to the experience because if you were just playing casually and experimenting with boss weaknesses you might end up beating the boss or finding an upgrade, rewarding exploration by making other stages easier in tangible ways. In ALBW you progress through the dungeons the same way no matter what order you take. You have about fifty ways to progress through the game, but to progress through the eight dungeons you only have one way. Whereas in Megaman your current arsenal has a major effect on how you play. Chill Penguin first is massively different from Spark Mandrill first, for example. Zelda I don't think can convincingly make your current inventory matter within a dungeon without either changing dungeons as you progress or a convoluted system of sub areas within dungeons that require other dungeon items.
Be skeptical about Zelda U, it's a 3D Zelda game...never dissapoints(not even Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

At least they trying to move away from linear games. Got to count of something, right?

Also, cool to her you are getting better.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
At least they trying to move away from linear games. Got to count of something, right?

Also, cool to her you are getting better.
Moral of the story is that non-linear gameplay isn't inherently better. I'd rather they didn't and set up a series of open fields like Xenoblade had if they wanted space to gallop around that badly.

But yeah, thanks.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Well guys, I'm deciding to drop Pit from my main to my third/fourth behind ZSS, Cloud, and Roy. I simply just don't enjoy playing with him. He's just so average that it's not fun to me. I hate that there's a character so incredibly average in this game. I used to consider him one of the best mid-tiers, but I can't stand being outclassed by opponents every time I play.

Tomorrow I'm going to a tournament and it'll be the last time I use Pit for a while, in order to get Roy, ZSS, and Cloud up to speed. Part of me is unexcited about the tournament because I'll have to use Pit since he's my best character still. But I genuinely don't have fun playing Smash with him anymore. I'll still lurk the Pitboards, though, looking for updates on the character and the meta.

Just letting everyone know. Dark Pit is still my favorite character in the game. Go Pit!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well one less Pit for another anime boy, a Space Stripper(jk, don't take seriously), and a Ph1r3 Boy

Top Bottom