• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skynet Gaming Smash Bros. Brawl West Michigan

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
$200 in 4 years???? Yooooooo. That's what I call thrifty. lol

Also, I had forgotten SMYN was still going on. I should start listening again...
I buy all my cards in person. Even my Japanese Toxin Sliver(which, coincidentally, I paid way more for and ended up getting the ability wrong. I've since purchased an English one and found out the ability was BETTER than I thought), which I found at Wargames South. So as you might expect, my repetoire is full of 15 and 25 cent purchases.

As far as SMYN is concerned, we on Episode 98... last episode had Gimpyfish, and we discussed the ban and the Unity ruleset. We may have been critical of one and highly accepting of another.

Still treating this tournament with a cautious eye. I'd like to see an opportunity for doubles, or at least a Smashfest the night prior in GR.

Oh, and rsr2, if you can get as far as Manistee, I can take you the rest of the way no problem. I'm willing to go north a bit to nab you, but you'll have to pay that section of gas - I really am strapped for cash right now.

Roller

Smash Legend
Have you guys ever gone to a Grand Prix? If you haven't go. Trust me, it is my favorite tournament ever and I feel every magic players needs to go once. I've been to several Starcitygames tournaments but Grand Prix's are still better.

(That's just because I got to play at one of the top tables in Grand Prix Columbus lol >_> If you don't know, at every top tournament, they have these 4 tables off to the side also known as featured matches and I got to play on one of them. It was awesome. But I ended up losing to the guy and he ended up getting 9th.)

Also, still working on a way to go to the tournament, I am trying to convince someone to drive. If so then I can get more going.
Highest level of tourney I've been to is Regionals. =/ I did want to go to a GP/PT, however I was in highschool at the time. Worlds was actually in NYC one year while I was active, (I live nearby in NJ) however I was camping that weekend. :(
I buy all my cards in person. Even my Japanese Toxin Sliver(which, coincidentally, I paid way more for and ended up getting the ability wrong. I've since purchased an English one and found out the ability was BETTER than I thought), which I found at Wargames South. So as you might expect, my repetoire is full of 15 and 25 cent purchases.

As far as SMYN is concerned, we on Episode 98... last episode had Gimpyfish, and we discussed the ban and the Unity ruleset. We may have been critical of one and highly accepting of another.

Still treating this tournament with a cautious eye. I'd like to see an opportunity for doubles, or at least a Smashfest the night prior in GR.

Oh, and rsr2, if you can get as far as Manistee, I can take you the rest of the way no problem. I'm willing to go north a bit to nab you, but you'll have to pay that section of gas - I really am strapped for cash right now.
I'll definitely have to check out that episode.

Also. Come to the tourney, friendly doubles can happen. Just as fun, no cash.

Alsoalso. I have 2-3 copies of toxin sliver at home, as well as a number of other good older sliver cards. I'll bring 'em up to MI after next time I go home. Maybe if there's another tourney out here next semester I can get 'em to you.

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
Ok so this is what's going down right now. You should be able to register via the site skynet-gaming.com for the tournament within the next week. If you do, it's $8 admission. $7 of that will go towards the pot. If you sign up at the door it's $10, $7 of that going to the pot.

She's checking out housing monday. We're trying to get a nice discount on hotel rooms. I'm going to try to pay for that but we'll see.

Syrensilly

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, it's Cheli. I'm really looking forward to this tourney. I just took over as TO recently, and am changing what the old TO started to use the unity ruleset and a few other changes. I admit that I am not great at brawl. I own it, my son kicks my butt most of the time. I am totally open to listen to suggestions and make small changes as needed. I'm going to do my best to find some cheap housing for non local players.

Someone mentioned doing a smashfest Saturday night to prepare. Since that's when the local group usually meets I don't think it will be a problem and we do have the TV's (and the projector if anyone wants huge screen) to toss in a few extra setups and game. I can get it as "practice time" for registered tourney participants for that week to save you guys a little bit more. The LAN center is open till 2am on Saturdays so that should give you guys some time to stretch your thumbs and still get some sleep. ;)

"I am very serious about dubs. And Bdubs, but that's different. Hey, is there a BDubs near the tournament? Ohmygodwings would be awesome. "
-I agree, wings are awesome. Just wash your hands before you grab the controller ;)
There is one located ?maybe? 5 miles south down the Beltline by Knapp Meijers and another one located just off the Alpine north exit (2 miles down the highway from Plainfield exit on 96)

Seriously, whatever I can do to make this fun I'm game. (I just ask that you guys stay reasonable. ;) )
There is also a FB page for Skynet Gaming that has an event created with even more discussion space.
I'll try to check here often to see what is going on.

Roller

Smash Legend
Well, before you go nuts trying to find housing for us. Ori/Wuvs, what happens here is really up to you guys. You have the option to take your time, just the 2 of you; head up the evening before; attend the smashfest; and take advantage of whatever cheap housing option I'm sure could get provided.

OR. You two could add myself, Tech, (and possibly THuGz) to the car; leave early Saturday morning; not pay for housing; and have a longer day on Saturday, with fewer expenses.

Up to you, both sides have pros and cons. But as has been said here before, Tech and I will be at REVENGE and wont be back until late Saturday night.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I don't mind leaving at the crack of dawn Sunday if we have to. I'll catch some sleep on the way to the tournament. I really want to go to both Revenge and this and its possible if you guys (Ori and Wuvs) cooperate with us. Plus you're going to want more people in your car so you don't get ***** by gas. Trust me, I did it with Lain when we drove up to Pittsburgh by ourselves...that **** broke my wallet.

Also Cheli if you have questions regarding the ruleset, feel free to ask me. I am one of the people who makes the Standardized Ruleset( a.k.a Unity) for North America, and MI's "biggest" TO. I have a good amount of experience with this.

Syrensilly

Smash Cadet
Chase, I'm going to PM you a few things. I totally appreciate the help. I don't want to pretend to know everything about the game. I have the brackets, space, and the TV's just need the people to come play.

ZTD | TECHnology

Sounds good. I am on this site daily so I'll reply as soon as I can. And alway happy to help here. You'll find that the SouthEast MI crew is pretty helpful.

:phone:

Roller

Smash Legend
Regarding the TVs. Do you by chance have old CRT tvs? Because HD TVs actually have lag when playing wii games. It would be minuscule to the degree that a noncompetitive player would never notice it. However this greatly throws off people who use frametight combos for which they require visual cues.

We will be bringing some, however if you have any non-hd tvs there. It would be much appreciate it if you could give us access to those. HD ones are fine to be used by those players who don't notice/mind, however when it comes time for top players to play eachother, they will mind.

Syrensilly

Smash Cadet
Tevin and I were originally talking about hosting it on the 5 HD TV's, however we do currently have 2 of the old TV's that are working if that will work better. I'm going to look at the 3rd one and see if I can figure out why it is currently angry. (I have a piece of paper that says I can open electronics. ;) ) We also have a projector, but I'm 99.9 sure that has inherent lag. I'm totally open to changing whatever I can in order to get you guys the play you need.

Roller

Smash Legend
I'm actually pretty excited about this. I commend yall for being so accommodating and your willingness to listen to the players. And by all means, have HDTVs, so long as there are just the few older ones for us to use if we feel we need it. (2 of yours+ at least 2 we can bring would actually be great).

Thanks for listening to what we have to say, and asking questions! :)

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I can bring 2 CRT tvs ^_^; Also I'm liking the spike in interest guys lets make this tourney great!

Syrensilly

Smash Cadet
Guys, I really appreciate all the positive feedback. To me running a tourney isn't so much about how much money can I bring into the LAN center (tho a little to cover electricity etc is nice) as much as how can our center get the players what they need to have a good competition. I've seen what a bad TO can do to a tourney. I made a promise to Sam (the owner) that I wouldn't be the one to piss off the players by pretending to know all the answers and say my way or the highway. I've seen it happen, and the results aren't pretty. I would much rather listen to what the players have to say and do my best to accommodate them. A tournament is no good if no one wants to play in it. I'm already getting some great tips from you guys to make things better than I could have done on my own. If this goes well, I'd love to see about hosting another event in the future. Grand Rapids is not quite central state, but other than the UP it's only a few hour drive from anywhere (especially at my speeds).

As for the 5 HDTV's yes, there is a spot on the side and the back for component cables. (Not sure if you want just red/white/yellow or if you also want the green/blue but all the spots are there.)
Here's an actual link to what we have if it helps for deciding if they could be used. http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-L32X2

In tourney news, registration site is live. http://www.skynet-gaming.com/event/93-smash-brothers-brawl-tourney.html
Pre-registration is open through the 13th for $8 after that it will be $10 day of event. The site is set up to run payments through Paypal.
To forewarn you, Sam is talking about redoing the Skynet website soon so if he accidentally breaks the current registration link I will post any updates to get to it directly.

I expect to have flyers ready for print tomorrow. I'm going to try and get more of the local crowd in. There's enough colleges around here that I should be able to flush out someone. ;)

Seriously guys, anything that you come up with let me know.

PS. Anyone know why my picture isn't showing on the forums only on my profile?

You also have to set an avatar on SWF. If you go to your control panel there should be an option on the left side that says something along the lines of "avatar settings" if you go there you can set your avatar.

I'm looking forward to this. One thing for future events (if you're planning on doing them) is to try and get them on Saturday's. Since a lot of people have classes on Monday it's nice to be able to rest/do homework the day after a tournament.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Hm, I'll probably bring one of my small CRTs just in case. I'm a reactive player in Smash, so any sort of lag completely ruins my game(what little there is, granted). Grand Rapids is a much larger area than Ludington, so with your locals I could definitely see a lot of improvement as far as attendance goes.

Might organize a car from upper West MI. I got a couple friends who are pretty interested, so if anything, that's 2-5 extra people. Might be more, but my car can only hold so many people. That said, if the weather turns sour, don't expect us to show - my car needs new tires badly and driving for any extended period of time is a death sentence for sure. Won't be able to afford new tires until next year.

Still want to come out to this, but I'm the only one I know out here with an available car. We'll see how this plays out.

Syrensilly

Smash Cadet
Aha, thanks for the help ;) It's working now. Missed that I had to put it in 2 places.

The old TO had picked the date on this one. Tho in retrospect it looks like it works in this case since some people are going to ?revenge? on Saturday. There is also a huge MTG event being thrown in GR Saturday as a cooperative project of some of the large MTG places. (search "huge mtg in gr nov 19" on facebook for more info on that) Big Kidz Gamez works out of Skynet Gaming and that's how we're involved.

I'm excited for this. I am talking to a few people trying to get some more possible media outlets also.

rsr2

Smash Lord
I more than likely have a driver to go to the event. Hopefully come down for the MTG tournament because I am more confident and more than likely do better at that than the Brawl tournament. :p

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Heh heh, alright, I'll bring my deck, just don't expect anything amazing. I'm pretty content with playin' casual and showing off janky wins against competitive decks when they don't fire perfectly. Hey Roller, you got a Commander deck?

I'm curious to how many people I can interest with my own small, local tournament this Saturday. Perhaps I can pull a few more to go to this tournament. Never really know, gonna roll with it.

ExplodingClay

Smash Apprentice
Now this, I may be able to make it to. Just need to find a partner for doubles.
(Tech_Chase will see this and rage, cuz I said I couldn't make it to Rick'in 2. =P )

rsr2

Smash Lord
Can I get more info on the big MTG tournament? I typed in what you said on Facebook but nothing came up.

ZTD | TECHnology

Now this, I may be able to make it to. Just need to find a partner for doubles.
(Tech_Chase will see this and rage, cuz I said I couldn't make it to Rick'in 2. =P )
LOL how are you not going to have money for a tournament that is so close to you yet you're able to go to this?? *RAGE*

No not really but I do find that funny. Hope to see you there though.

Top Bottom