• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skynet Gaming Smash Bros. Brawl West Michigan

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
SKYNET GAMING TOURNAMENT

Skynet Gaming 4336 Plainfield Ave, Grand Rapids MI

ENTRY
$10 at the door or $8 online (skynet-gaming.com) 7$ from buy-ins will go to the pot
TIME​
Sunday November 20th 12pm to 6pm (9:00am GMT -8 time)

PRIZES
$7 of each entrant will go into prizes. There will be 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place prize. They'll be split 70/20/10 from the pot
RULES​

UNITY RULE SET! Double elimination, 3 stock 8min time limit. Best of 3. First round will be set in pools before moving into brackets
Winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will all be best of 5.

HOUSING
We're unable to find any hotels affordable enough but I've got some friends that may be willing to use their van/cars for crashing in​
EXTRAS
There will be drinks and candy there and Bdubs is a possibility. Also word round the thread says some Magic players want to get in on some MTG action that night so we can make sure that happens. Not sure if there will be a draft later that night or anything like that but I can look into it.

Check back to this post often for some of the information may be subject to change. Try to let me know if you're going to be attending or not. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Registration- Pre-register online for a lower cost or you can sign-up and register at the door at 11am. Anyone that shows up after noon will lose first round by default.

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
Tournament Details

Rabbi Nevins brought up a good point that chain grabs with ice climbers could become a problem on fd, so I'm going to try and make sure chain grabs get banned unless more stages are added.

fZk

Smash Lord
What's the format for the tourney? Is this double or single elimination bracket, swiss pools or what? With 5 stock I'm assuming is each set is best of 1, instead of the usual best of 3 with 3 stocks per game.

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
yes it's best of 1 single elimination. I'd like to change it to 3-match sets but unfortunately I'm not the tournament coordinator. I'll see what I can do though.

fZk

Smash Lord
I know it's not up to you but as a word of advice do not do best of 3 with 5 stocks because the matches will run too long and so will the tournament, if anything try suggesting making it double elimination

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
You should show them the Unity Ruleset. Tell them that if you guys use it, it will more likely attract more people (aka us)

:phone:

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
Yes I'll probably do that. The coordinator doesn't have a clue about smash bros but yet she is planning it >_> I'll be going in tuesday to talk to her about it and make this a more competitive thing. I'll see what she thinks of the unity rule set and hopefully this thing can be more legitimate.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Grand Rapids is several hours Northwest of our general area over where L_Cancel is. Most Southeast MI Smashers will write this off as "Not worth it unless someone drives me" given the distance among other factors.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
GR is 3 hours from southeast MI and about 1.5 hours from EL. It is a possible tourney if people were...
1.) willing to get on the road at like 8/9 am
2.) willing to offer weekend housing or 1 night housing.

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
This tournament WILL be using the unity rule set now in case anyone was wondering.
I found "Comfort Suite Grand Rapids North" for a 1 night hotel stay. The cheapest I found was $55 if you're willing to pay that. I'm still checking into some free one-night housing opportunities if I can find any.

THuGz

Smash Lord
fishnax what do you expect in terms of casual entrants? (ie. people who would just show up because they like the game and not expect to win money)

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
fishnax what do you expect in terms of casual entrants? (ie. people who would just show up because they like the game and not expect to win money)
The first round will be in pools so it should allow more casual gamers to play multiple matches. and on top of that since it's double elimination you will have a second chance if you lose. In short, you should be playing a minimum of 2 sets (at least 4 matches). If we get enough people and we do play in pools you should be able to play several sets. It will be a fun time for casual players =)
Hopefully that answers your question!

THuGz

Smash Lord
I was actually hoping for more of a number... I'm not really concerned with how many matches I'll get to play lol

(I wasn't implying that I was a casual player)

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
ok haha i looked back at that comment and realized you might've been implying something else. but in short there will for sure be a good 4 or more casual players at the moment, but I'm assuming that number will be outweighed by competitive so long as i get these threads going.

Roller

Smash Legend
A good 4 or more? What's good about 4? I play with more people than that in my dorm on a regular basis.

Advertise, because East MI is not going to come out to play against 4 other people when we could just hold a tourney here and get more competitive and non competitive players.

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
don't we want more competitive and less casual though?
It doesn't even need to be east michigan just any smashers. Whether it's a state away or 10min away.

ZTD | TECHnology

Roller is saying that if you want a more "competitive" tournament, then you need to cater to those who would actually make it competitive. Our state's current ranked players are ALL in Southeastern Michigan except for 2 of them and the majority of the scene is down here. If you want the real competition to come out, then give us some sort of incentive for driving several hours to get here. It's not like this a relatively short trip. I mean we could go out of state and get a good tournament experience with that amount of driving.

Roller

Smash Legend
don't we want more competitive and less casual though?
It doesn't even need to be east michigan just any smashers. Whether it's a state away or 10min away.
You want both competitive and casual players. First of all, casual players add to the pot size for the event, which is attractive to a competitive player looking to win.

But beyond that, it is always a good thing to get more people involved in the community. If only competitive players ever come out, that means we'll almost never get new people added to the community. We want our scene to thrive and have big turnouts for tournaments with a lot of solid players. You get that by encouraging more people to join and helping them to get excited about the game/getting better.

And like Tech said, there are ONLY East MI smashers. With very few exceptions. So if you want competitive players out there, you would need to give us a reason to travel that far over just holding another tournament here. One way of doing that is to get 15-20+ casuals confirmed. We really want to help build a scene in west MI, but it just wouldn't be fiscally responsible for us to head out there to meet 4 people, who if they only played vs good players there (and not really any other newer ones) may never come back to the community after being demoralized.

^ This happened at the last West MI tourney we decided to show up for.

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
That's perfectly understandable. I've been to a tournament before where no one has showed up. I posted a while back about a group I started that Brawl's every saturday at this place. I'm trying to build this group up so more tournaments can be held. We're two weeks in and we've got a good 7 casual players and 4 competitive players now. I will probably base the number of west michigan entrants off of that. Hopefully, since we've got another month and a half, more players will be added to the group meaning more entrants for the tournament.

I'll try to update you on how many more entrants we're looking at closer to the date. Hopefully that can help you decide.

RED6

Smash Apprentice
Hey, a few of my friends and I have been trying to get into the competitive scene of brawl for a little while now. We'd probably be willing to show up one of these Saturdays if you can give me a time as to when you guys meet up. There's about 8 of us who have been trying to get competitive and a few casuals who would probably be willing to show up for something like this, especially if East MI players are willing to come. We're over in Muskegon, so it's not much of a drive for us.
but ya, you should def give me what time you guys are brawling on Saturdays so we can check it out

Roller

Smash Legend
There are EIGHT of you? =o yooooooo
If your 2 groups get together, you could actually get a legit scene going over there.

You guys should post in the Big MI discussion thread to get to know the MI community and ask any questions you may have, whether it be advice on what to work on, or whatever. I think this tourney could be a good bellwether for judging how the West MI scene is doing. Hopefully if there is a good turnout at this there will start being some back and forth between East MI and West MI going to each other's tourneys.

RED6

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. lol. We've gone to some cons and stuff and entered tournaments, but it hasn't been very long that we've been trying to get competitive. We've actually been meeting a few other people at our college (MCC), one of which is Mike that Fishnax actually has gotten in contact with. If we can, we'll be making it over there this Saturday with at least a few people. We've really wanted to get together with other people cause we've really only been able to brawl with each other and people at cons. If we could get together with the eastern scene, that would be sweet.

I also will def check out that MI thread. None of my other friends have an account on here i don't think, but they do check the forums frequently like I do. I'll try to see if I can get them to start posting like I am now

ZTD | TECHnology

If y'all are going to Youmacon, some of our state's best players are going to be there. If you're going come say "what's up".

RED6

Smash Apprentice
Haha alright. Most of us plan on going to Youmacon. I've been wanting to meet some of you guys for a while, especially since I main Sheik and I know there are some good Sheiks over by AA and stuff

ZTD | TECHnology

There's only one but he's good. Tutu is his tag and he'll be there. Our state specializes in MKs, Snakes, ICs and then weird characters...lol Like Tutu is known for Sheik, Mikey is a great Peach, I'm known for King Dedede and so on and so forth. And plenty of other good players will be there.

I want to meet you folks/see what you've got so we'll find a way to get in touch before Youma. Looking forward to it!

rsr2

Smash Lord
I should be able to go to this. It's a couple hours away and I have a friend that lives down there. So see you guys there.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Yo Wuvs has told me many times, that if I can pull together a good car pool he will drive. If you are interested hit me up here or via pm. Wuvs can fit up to 7 in his van so things look good :D

Roller

Smash Legend
I mean, I texted him before he even made the post, but I'll officially claim a spot here.

Assuming this all pans out and Wuvs is willing to make the stop in AA.

Top Bottom