• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skill is skill

Zodiac

Smash Master
Over the years i'm sure you've heard numerous johns when a player is defeated by someone obviously more skilled than them. But likely the most popular one is "If you weren't using X character I could take you" Then we all watch said skilled player switch to a low tier and keep ****** haha. While some characters are obviously better than other's its always the players skill driving that character, seems obvious right? We hear people all the time saying how gay sheik is, how gay falco is, marth, jiggs and a few other characters. And while these characters are generally better then most other characters it is still skill that drives them. In short, no matter how you slice it, no matter which character is being used skill is skill and thats whats winning, skill, not the character. So with this post I'm hoping everyone can agree that the top players are top for a reason, it isn't because of jigglypuff, it isn't because of sheik or marth or any other character. Its because they pushed themselves to that level of skill.

Life

Smash Hero
*shock*

You're telling me... that people win... BECAUSE THEY'RE SKILLED?

O____________O

[/:troll:]

Though it should be obvious, it's good to remind everybody now and then, as we tend to be forgetful. Good post is good.

Pi

Smash Hero
knowing when & how to approach is something that carries over from 1 character to any other
granted some have more reach/speed to approach with, or some have projectiles, but knowing when your opponent is going to be vulnerable is a skill that once you pick up on will help you across the board.

there are many other skills like that one that will carry over to any character you pick up

the only real unique aspects of a character are the combo's they can perform, the recovery, and the gimp aspect. once you learn those, if you have good fundamentals, you're going to do well regardless of who you're playing.

Jonas

Smash Champion
No Hungrybox is only doing well because he picks Jigglypuff and spams Bair. Nobody else seems to be able to do that, but that's only because they are honorable and refuse to abuse cheap tactics.

Seriously though, good post. Character johns, or any other johns for that matter, won't do you any good, and they're certainly not going to bring good players down to a level where you can beat them.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
lol basically the point is, no johns, you lost because he/she is simply better than you.

axe is probably one the best examples. using a freaing low tier and wrecking everyone

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The point of this thread is that there's still a lot of little Melee fans who are so compassionate to their game (and bored) that they want to underline their superficial love of skill and make absolutely pointless threads like this.

Penguins eat fish btw.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
No johns, etc.

No Hungrybox is only doing well because he picks Jigglypuff and spams Bair. Nobody else seems to be able to do that, but that's only because they are honorable and refuse to abuse cheap tactics.
If you watch almost any other Puff try to spam Bair, it's like watching a ****** trying to play Melee.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
*reads title*

While we're sharing tautologies, I'd like you all to know that smashers are good if and only if they are good.

Zodiac

Smash Master
so... what's the point of this thread again?
the point of this thread is that there are so many good players that get **** for using X character that people think are gay or unfair. And whats unfair is that they are taking **** for being as good as they are.

edit: I'm surprised no one really got what I was trying to say, maybe I should have made a tl:dr

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
the point of this thread is that there are so many good players that get **** for using X character that people think are gay or unfair. And whats unfair is that they are taking **** for being as good as they are.

edit: I'm surprised no one really got what I was trying to say, maybe I should have made a tl:dr
No... really? I didn't know skill was a factor in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I thought top tier chars automatically made my opponents good. Oh my god.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I think most people do get the point, they just realise it already.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Wow, I really didnt expect this level of immaturity from the melee section :/

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Well I'd like to throw a little bit of productivity in this thread.

I'm not johning for anyone because I don't play either one of these characters very much, but what about terrible match-ups. Take for example Roy Vs. Ice Climbers I've heard its one of the worst in the game and even if technically and mentally(assuming they are mid-level and above) the Roy and IC's are on the same level it seems really hard for roy not to get grab to ***** rather easily.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Which is one of the many reasons nobody uses Roy competitively :)
Really, if you're losing with a terrible character and you don't know that character is terrible, it's your own fault. No johns.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i guess you could understand why if you mained Roy, but if a competitive Roy ever became a top level player it would be like the return of a lost king.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yeah i guess you could understand why if you mained Roy, but if a competitive Roy ever became a top level player it would be like the return of a lost king.
I main Bowser in Brawl and I used to main him in Melee. I know what it's like, but I'd never say "oh you only won because you used a broken character" or "I would have won if I didn't use this character." I can't just pick a bad character and then expect everyone to handicap themselves so I can keep up.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I find it hilarious a thread like that appears in the Melee section. It's not like many people even try to use mid or low tier characters at all. The whole top and high tier of Melee is very balanced, and 95% of players use them. And what Jonas said is right, you gotta be a total ****** to pick a **** character and then john about it.

Ace55

Smash Lord
The OP just seems butt-hurt. Go play a real character that doesn't spam boomerang, bombs and upB, no skill in that.

/Serious post ;p

dudutsai

Smash Lord
People will agree with this while online, but it's not gonna stop them from johning anyways after losing.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
i john hard, though quietly in myself i think why i lost in order to correct my flaws. i really think johns are a part of melee and they won't ever stop.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
fact
people win only cuz their main is gay
people
mains
battlestar galactica

Aar

Smash Cadet
it all comes down to edge teching. that's what changes the game lol jk. but high tier Falco is still a *****. thats my vote

Top Bottom