• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

since its hopeless against D3...

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Fox is way good against Heavy, but you really need to know how to use him, almost main not worth it. Falco takes a little practice to be good at, *not the best mind you* But an effective counter without taking too much time away from DK. If...and I say if D3 standing infinite is banned Dk is way too good, I play D3 if infinite is banned I'll tell you that for sure.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
My Falcon does good against DDD's. Really. He does. :) But I suppose a real good DDD would wreck me without any challenge whatsoever. So I recommend Fox. His combo ability= DDDD. a dead dedede. Falcon can wreck DDD if the falcon knows how to space and spot dodge very well, and pull off aerial combo's spectacualarly. If not.... :(

Mith_

Smash Champion
Falco is good against D3. I guess Ice Climbers could go against D3 and give him a taste of his own medicine :p.

I'd have no problem against D3 if he doesn't infinite. CG I don't mind thats a part of his game.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
D3 still messes DK up without the infinite
he probably lives just as long as DK does
hes got all the range DK has+ a projectile thats basically a mobile shield
hes got way better recovery, his super D3 jump goes just as far horizontally as spinning kong does, and it also goes ridiculously high
his bair doesnt have as much range as DK's but he can wall of pain easier with it thanks to his multiple jumps.
his grab game is better, even without the infinite.
he has a kill move thats quicker than any of ours (utilt)

thats one of the matchups i have no hope for as DK

Fox is way good against Heavy, but you really need to know how to use him, almost main not worth it. Falco takes a little practice to be good at, *not the best mind you* But an effective counter without taking too much time away from DK. If...and I say if D3 standing infinite is banned Dk is way too good, I play D3 if infinite is banned I'll tell you that for sure.
the reason i say fox isnt a heavy counter is this:
alright, give fox a chance to combo a heavy character, and he will combo the **** out of them. but, what is fox's approach to start his combos everytime? dair. his approach is way too limited because its all about the dair for fox.
also, for the combo to be unshieldgrabbable for the heavy, the fox player has to have perfect timing so he lands it without lag
if fox is just a few frames off, all the heavy character has to do is hold down the shield button, and as soon as the openings there, there will be a perfect shield to a grab.
also if you have a character that can fight against fox in the air, hes done. get him before he approaches with his dair and the game is yours.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
DK is my secondary, but my main(bowser) does not fare well against D3 either, so I go for Mario simply because he is a character I know how to use and he doesn't have many weaknesses against anyone.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
DK is my secondary, but my main(bowser) does not fare well against D3 either, so I go for Mario simply because he is a character I know how to use and he doesn't have many weaknesses against anyone.
All three of your characters are susceptible to DDD's infinite chaingrab. You could certainly call that a weakness.

Anyway, I use Falco or G&W, depending on the stage.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Look I've always said that without infinite throw DDD will lose against Dk because the throw's are stupid his kill moves he has to use, *besides Gordos* Has to put him in close enough where Dk's kill. He can do slight damage with Ftilts and stuff like that but to tell you the truth if your playing Dk like your supposed to be against D3 then you have to know that DK has too many moves that disable a lot of D3 moves. Trust me when I tell you playing no infinite I've never ever lost to a D3, with infinite I've lost 3/4. Which thats not too bad. I'm just saying not impossible trust me play D3's with infinite then without and you know it's not that hard.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
3) Again with the spacing thing. It's so important, not even funny. I play against FOGO and he punishes every stupid mistake I make with my G&W. He refuses to play against my DK because it's so unfair (not because of the infinite). He understands the matchup well and knows exactly what to wait for.
He speaks the truth, i hate being gay :(

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pikachu is really good against DDD. CG to about 60, easy edgeguarding. Thunder ***** him when he has to get back on the level. THe only thing you really have to worry about as pikachu is his bair. But then again, pikachu controls the momentum in this match, so pikachu starts the engagements between them.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
It's cuz Hylian thinks DDD is even. I don't believe him. A number of players including a DDD main don't believe him either on this one.

Our matchup thread went over this one. There was a lot of disagreement among players about this matchup.

Personally me, I'm pretty sure the matchup is at least 6/4 in favor of G&W. I mean, he can space B-airs so he can't get shieldgrabbed. Also, he juggles DDD well, always gets to punish DDD when he recovers, and DDD is also huge, and easy to hit with F-airs.

DDD has pretty much only one reliable KO move, and that's U-tilt, and it's very hard for him to hit a good G&W with U-tilt. Meaning he has to rely on SH aerials on stage or other stupid things. Also, Chef camping > Waddle Dee camping. Besides, DDD shouldn't Waddle Dee camp because he risks throwing a Waddle Doo = free Bucket.
<DDDrant>

As a strong G&W main I put full support that the G&W vs. DDD matchup is even. If anything 55 in favor of G&W if the DDD doesn't understand the matchup well enough. I've played so many strong DDD players and have come to the conclusion that if they know what they are doing, then this is a hard matchup. Trust me.

G&W bair - DDD can just walk backwards, or run forwards and grab. If you try to land it just right, he can ftilt you away. Landing bair multiple times is tough, seriously.

DDD's recovery - This is a strong weakness for DDD. G&W is able to punish DDD's UpB with his own UpB as it will always out-prioritize DDD. This will knock DDD back away from the ledge and a little higher than where he original started. It will also add on a little damage. Repeat this a few times and DDD has taken quite a bit, considering was probably already at high percent. Eventually DDD will be able to get back without the helped of his UpB. Also G&W is able to hit with a well-timed Upsmash and not take damage from DDD's UpB landing.

DDD's utilt - True this is quite difficult to hit with. An experienced DDD will have plenty of tricks to pull this out (airdodge into ground to buffered utilt, tech dthrow in place to utilt, etc) But this is NOT his only kill move. Upsmash is decent because of extended range and hit lag against waddles. Dsmash also works if they predict your laggy fair or spotdodge. A fresh bair or fair is surprisingly powerful.

DDD's Waddles: Yes it's true that a Waddle Doo can fill G&W bucket in one shot if left unattended. But this isn't a real issue for DDD. He can throw two more waddles before the Doo will shoot out lasers. Or he can just walk up and ftilt the Doo. Very rarely have I been able to get a bucket from a Doo, because DDD can literally get rid of it from anywhere.

EDIT: Just realized I quoted an old post........... LOL. I didn't delete because it has useful info in it.

</DDDrant>

IMHO G&W is not a suitable counter to pick up for DDD.

My choices:
MK - really strong because of correctly spacing tornado
Falco - CG, other obvious reasons.
Zelda - range, punishes DDD's shield

-Mars-

Smash Hero
All of you DK players looking to solve your infinite problems, come over to the Zelda boards......we'll take good care of you.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi outcamps D3 since his eggs pass over Waddle Dees, and he has an fthrow CG. His Usmash also punishes D3's recovery move badly. D3 can CG Yoshi across the stage, however.

Falco obviously outcamps him and has dthrow > dair, but a good D3 will gimp you very easily with bairs whenever he has the chance.

Marsulas, while I agree with the general message conveyed by your post I do not see the need for an aspiring Zelda user to get any help at all with using Zelda. It's like Snake but you camp with Din's fire, space with jab and fsmash

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Don't take it like that it's not an easy matchup either it just becomes and even matchup.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Mario ***** DDD.

loljk

Meta Knight, Falco, Olimar, Zero Suit Samus (hold L/R discreetly so they think you're insane), and Ice Climbers are probably your best bets.

If you really wanna be epic, though, learn Kirby and take them to Halberd. You get instant win points just by playing this matchup on that stage. 5x more points if the song "King Dedede's Theme" is playing. It also is a surprisingly even matchup iirc.

DonkeyKongUh

Smash Cadet
Are you mad? Taking ddd to halberd... xD

Norly tho it's a good ddd stage. Low cieling for uptilt kills and he can do stuff under the stage.

Top Bottom