• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple facts that you may not know...

Shears

Smash Master
not sure if this is known or even true and i would appreciate it if anyone who is a more skilled tester could see this through, but when playing and even trying this out in training mode, it seems that pivot grabbing increases a grabs range. so when dashing and turning around to grab immediately, its seemed as i could grab someone from a distance i would normally miss from.

Shears

Smash Master
well i think the way it works, if its true, is that the pixels occupied from the characters body being spread out during a dash is kept when pivoting and grabbing. so although the character stands and reaches, the space behind that was previously occupied by the dash is still allocated to the character, extending the grab from this invisible space making the grab range larger. im not entirely sure but almost every time i pivot grab in a match, it seems i grab someone from a distance that normally seems out of range and it surprises me everytime. i know this is true for brawl and i never thought it to be true for n64 until i actually did it in matches. so thats why i raise the question, to see if any experienced testers could determine the authenticity of this. the exact method for testing i assume would be the same way hitboxes and framerates are tested. slowing the animation down further than normal training mode and testing the range of a stationary grab vs the range of a pivot grab.

i also figured this would be the appropriate thread to see if this was indeed a fact people may not know.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
i know this is true for brawl
Brawl's pivot grabs are programmed in as a third type of grab (Standing / Dashing / Pivot). They have different hitboxes, different animations, and different timers. Saying it "extends" would be on a character-by-character basis based on their standing grab.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i doubt the grab itself is any bigger BUT i think characters can change their hurtboxes by doing moves. For example if you opponent does a certain move just as you do a pivot grab, its possible that they extended themselves into the hurtbox. This could be what you are experiencing.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
You can slide back with your grab hitbox if you grab fast enough during the pivot. This is most noteable with falcon/luigi for me.

Shears

Smash Master
Brawl's pivot grabs are programmed in as a third type of grab (Standing / Dashing / Pivot). They have different hitboxes, different animations, and different timers. Saying it "extends" would be on a character-by-character basis based on their standing grab.
well then has anyone looked into the programming of n64 to determine if there is this type of grab? and clubbadubba you may be right it may have been a coincidence but i figured if it is true it doesnt hurt to ask.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
well then has anyone looked into the programming of n64 to determine if there is this type of grab? and clubbadubba you may be right it may have been a coincidence but i figured if it is true it doesnt hurt to ask.
im almost 100% certain that there is no dashgrab and no equivalent special pivot grab either (i play some olimar in brawl, i am familiar with these terms)

any apparent increase/decrease in grab hitbox is most likely imagined, or caused by character momentum, like boom said

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure in Melee, hitboxes lag or lead the hurtbox differently depending on your character's movement speed. Does the same apply to 64?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Only mario, luigi, and dk turn around as they perform bthrow. Even though yoshi looks like he should, he turns back around to his original direction. Because obviously yoshi turning around on bthrow is broken

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I always love how when you throw someone as ness, and they're being chucked around psychically, they can hurt other people around you. Useful for protecting your rear. That would be true for chars such as mario, luigi, etc.

Also, has anyone played kirby golf? It's pretty much where you use a spike to send a kirby down between the two buildings to the right on Saffron city. Hole in one!

Ness' yoyo says 'Super Smash Brothers' on it, in case someone didn't know.

MATTS!

Smash Ace
When you start super smash bros., and you let the start up of the game play, there is a box of tissues on the desk. PWNED

The Great MATTS!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The most common AI of Samus is to charge up her beam, then roll (almost always towards you), then charge it up a little more, then roll, etc. IF she gets close enough she'll use melee attacks, but if she charges up her beam before she gets to you she'll tend to use that more instead.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
uh

actually, it's just charge-roll charge-roll charge-roll full now walk around aimlessly and use grabs

dk is the same except he uses giant punch and then repeats

B Link

Smash Lord
Ness' yoyo says 'Super Smash Brothers' on it, in case someone didn't know.
pic?

The most common AI of Samus is to charge up her beam, then roll (almost always towards you), then charge it up a little more, then roll, etc. IF she gets close enough she'll use melee attacks, but if she charges up her beam before she gets to you she'll tend to use that more instead.
someone should tas shield cancelling b moves to see how fast you can do it, because those cpus do it really fast sometimes

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Whenever she rolls close to me I'd just grab her and send her away. I was having fun deflecting her beam with Ness.

But with me, lvl 9 samus definitely shot at me with fully charged beam IF I was on the same level as her, even if she was able to use grabs.... I tried it quite a few times, never seemed to change....

Yeah, well I checked it again, and the writing seemed illegible. My only source now is melee and brawl, which probably doesn't do me any good. It's strange, i could've sworn it definitely said 'Super Smash Brothers on it, but I guess I made a mistake. I'll check to see if it's in brawl. I know there IS writing on the yoyo in 64, and it's about long enough to say 'Super Smash Brothers', but it's a bit small, coming back to look at it, to draw any real conclusions atm. :/

However, I did try PKT2-ing with nes to get from one platfrom on dreamland to the other. It was a no go. Ness just goes straight down through the platform.

B Link

Smash Lord
I know you can see stuff on the yo yo in the other games, but first they don't say super smash brothers and second that **** is blurry as hell

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah, guess it was my imagination. :/

I did find out something on Planet zebes, but it's probably known.... At least i'm ABSOLUTELY sure it's there this time :-P

Anyway, Ridley makes a cameo in planet zebes. As I said, probably obvious, but... yeah.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I know the Brawl yo-yo says, "Super Nintendo 2008" and then "Mother" by the swirl in the middle.

Don't have Melee in front of me, but I'll check (or someone else can lol).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
green dk and green falcon can only be accessed in team stock mode

this is here because a friend asked me how in the world i got green dk because it wasn't in his cht file

Zantetsu

Smash Master
They can be accessed by the debug menu. I'm pretty sure plain old cheats work, he probably just didn't have them on the cht file.

There's also Green Mario and Green Kirby. Other than that, I think those 5 are the only ones with special colors in team mode.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
Green Mario and DK look damn fine. I wonder why noone use this colour for normal battles. Just set team mode 1on1.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
because green mario looks too much like luigi and no one likes luigi anyway. those who do like him always seem to use **** colored luigi to show what a peice of **** he is lol/

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
green dk and green falcon can only be accessed in team stock mode

this is here because a friend asked me how in the world i got green dk because it wasn't in his cht file
blue falcon as well (i think blue samus too)

blue falcon should be his standard clothes
>:mad:

Mahie

Smash Lord
Only issue with playing 1v1 teams is that the other player can't get the normal colours anymore.

white fox da bess.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
I apologize for hating on Luigi so much, I actually did use Luigi mainly when I first started playing, and all I did was upb spam all day long until I realizes what an ******* I was being and that Mario was better anyways. the story of my life.

Top Bottom