• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple facts that you may not know...

Zantetsu

Smash Master
So, there's not many threads that have much activity here, so I'm bringing a thread from the Melee boards down here to the 64 boards. Influenced from Lovage's thread located here, this is a thread for you to note tiny things that other players may not know.

Thread rules:
  1. 1. Don't post just to say something along the lines of "Everyone knows that" unless it's something very, very obvious (like "Luigi jumps higher then Mario").
  2. 2. Don't post stupid, obvious facts. Make sure at least SOME experienced players don't know about it.
  3. 3. Look to make sure something hasn't already been posted before you post.
  4. 4. Discussing the fact's are allowed, but don't get too off topic.

So, I'll go ahead and start with one that I found recently that I'm surprised I haven't found already:

If you stand on the very edge of the bottom platform in the center section of Hyrule with Captain Falcon and Falcon Kick to the right, you'll land perfectly on top of Isai's house.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Luigi's and Mario's forward throw and back throw are reversed.

Luigi's fthrow is stronger than this bthrow

Mario's bthrow is stronger than his fthrow

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I think most players, even newbies, know that just because the damage the throws do are reversed.

I honestly can't think of obscure ones...for the sake of the mid-level player:

DK's taunt allows him to sidestep certain projectiles
Kirby's U-Tilt is the slowest of his tilts to get an actual hitbox out.
DK's U-Tilt gets a hitbox out faster than Kirby's U-Tilt.
Releasing the control stick and allowing it to snap back to the center during a horizontal dash of Pika's Up-B gets you extra distance.
The Learning Curve thread in the archives of this forum is dreadfully inaccurate past level 4 :cool:

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Trust me, I've asked around and they had no idea lol.

With fox, if you go on top of the green tent in Hyrule, and you up-b exactly at the edge going left, his firefox sound is louder than usual.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If you Falcon Kick from one dreamland side platform to another you won't be high enough to land on the other. Unless you roll all the way to the outside edge first.

From Hamburglar - If you are hanging on the building at the bottom left of saffron, when the platform is at it's lowest you can fsmash out of the hanging animation.

Sangoku

Smash Master
With Falcon, if you second jump and immediately upb by a ledge, you will cancel the upb by grabbing the ledge (like Ness' upb ledge cancel). Too hard to perform to be usefull though.

Yoshi can jump OoS :troll:.

You can turn around Dreamland with pika, no matter what direction (you can start left or right).

Cool thread idea btw.

Oh also, this one I heard from superboomfan: DK's dash attack clanks with Kirby's utilt and give him a frame advantage over Kirby.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Falcon can easily dash pivot/dash pivot shield drop off the Dreamland side platforms to land on the edges. It allows really fast edgehogs from the platforms.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I forgot there was this one >__>. I first thought there was already one, but then I thought I was confused because of the melee one.

Yours was most orientated in knockback type I think, while this one is just some (useless) tricks we know.

Zantetsu

Smash Master

the cap

Smash Cadet
When performing Links Invisible bomb, if you are facing multiple opponents, Link can place more than one invisible mine on the level.

Battlecow

Play to Win
falcon can grab pikachu on the left hand side of dl while pika is hanging
did not know.

So cool, albeit tricky to do.

Oh god, the number of matches I'm going to lose because I try this on the last stock.

Does anyone know/can anyone test to see if it's true that you can "DI" the Doug Hug hitbox to extend it? It seems to work sometimes, but... it seems too funky to be true. Surri swears by it, but Firo insists it ain't so.

The Star King

Smash Hero
YES I NEEDED A THREAD LIKE THIS TO POST MY USELESS DISCOVERIES:

If you jump at a certain time right after Mario's/Luigi's <100% ledge attack, you will do a mid-air jump even though you were on the ground. The timing is pretty tight.

You can do invisible shines on the ground of the **** tent by holding down and left and doing the standard fast shines (like for shine jabs and stuff). This doesn't work on the top of the **** tent. This makes me believe that the ground here is VEEEERY slightly sloped upwards to the left.

You can taunt-cancel at an edge with Puff's/Kirby's F-smash (right after the animation, but right before you start you teeter animation). I'm also pretty sure you can do it with Link's dash attack.

DK's grounded Up-B clanks with Puff's sing for some strange reason.

You can taunt-cancel rapidly (like with the DL wind) by having two characters teeter on the same edge and having one rapidly press the taunt button. Only works with some character combinations, but not sure which ones. Might do more research if enough people are interested.

The top of the Saffron Pokemon Box has reduced traction (apparently this was known, but I didn't know this for a long time so whatever).

I think there were a few more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now.

Trust me, I've asked around and they had no idea lol.

With fox, if you go on top of the green tent in Hyrule, and you up-b exactly at the edge going left, his firefox sound is louder than usual.
I think the sound is played twice at the same time.

Related to this: if you roll from an edge when you were teetering on it and up-B towards it with Fox, you will hear the FIYAAA sound twice.

Oh also, this one I heard from superboomfan: DK's dash attack clanks with Kirby's utilt and give him a frame advantage over Kirby.
Holy ****

A use for DK's dash attack

I'm trying this out

Does anyone know/can anyone test to see if it's true that you can "DI" the Doug Hug hitbox to extend it? It seems to work sometimes, but... it seems too funky to be true. Surri swears by it, but Firo insists it ain't so.
Huh? You mean the Falcon player moves the hitbox? No wai

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
You can't DI the doug hug.

You can taunt-cancel at an edge with Puff's/Kirby's F-smash (right after the animation, but right before you start you teeter animation). I'm also pretty sure you can do it with Link's dash attack.
This can be done with any character that has a move that will slide the character off the ledge after the move finishes (if you're holding back). A list of those moves is in the index I think.

edit: yeah its puff kirby fsmash/link dash attack and luigi dash grab

brb trying this

Oh and at highpercents luigi's jab grab can be used to cancel the jab's cooldown animation (but the grab will miss because the opponent is at too high of a percent and will be pushed away too far) and you can follow that up with an upb for a legit 2 hit combo.

The Star King

Smash Hero
This can be done with any character that has a move that will slide the character off the ledge after the move finishes (if you're holding back). A list of those moves is in the index I think.
You don't have to hold back for the three moves I mentioned. Just let go of the control stick.

I couldn't find this list :( And I can't find any other moves that make you teeter on the ledge lol (although I didn't try very hard)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
You don't have to hold back for the three moves I mentioned. Just let go of the control stick.

I couldn't find this list :( And I can't find any other moves that make you teeter on the ledge lol (although I didn't try very hard)
I mean by holding back down forward or a during those moves you can buffer a ledge cancel and fall off the edge once the move finishes. Letting go puts you in the teetering

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I'm confirming the non-presence of such a list.

If someone wants to make such a list I'll slap it in.
yeah its puff kirby fsmash/link dash attack and luigi dash grab.

its in the google doc of the compiled techs

woops double post

I also must say the luigi's dash grab putting you into the teetering animation amuses me

The Star King

Smash Hero
I mean by holding back down forward or a during those moves you can buffer a ledge cancel and fall off the edge once the move finishes. Letting go puts you in the teetering
Oh dude, I didn't know that.

FINALLY, THE MYSTERY OF WHY I SOMETIMES FALL OFF THE EDGE WITH LINK'S DASH ATTACK HAS BEEN SOLVED

Didn't work with A, BTW.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
yeah its puff kirby fsmash/link dash attack and luigi dash grab.

its in the google doc of the compiled techs

woops double post

I also must say the luigi's dash grab putting you into the teetering animation amuses me
With luigi's dash grab to the ledge you can go instantly into a dair off the ledge.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Feel free to give me credit for discovering this any time you like.

:3

EDIT: I tried it on offline emulator (U) and doesn't seem to work. Is it only in (A)?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Maybe more specifically Yoshis shield is the only one that will protect the char entirely until it breaks, because it's an egg that darkens rather then a bubble that shrinks.

Battlecow

Play to Win
If you're hit by an attack while still in the DI frames of another attack, you don't receive KB from the second attack (Courtesy of SK)

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
There's a face in Whispy Wood's branches right above the middle platform in Dreamland

The Star King

Smash Hero
There's a face in Whispy Wood's branches right above the middle platform in Dreamland
It's a Goomba with an evil smile :D Legs right below the middle platform

I can also see Samus though

If you're hit by an attack while still in the DI frames of another attack, you don't receive KB from the second attack (Courtesy of SK)
I'm not 100% sure about this since I can't TAS. I'm pretty sure, though.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbOCU5z5h1M#t=03m20s

Top Bottom