• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple facts that you may not know...

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
@Cobrevolution are you a samus main only?
simple-facts-that-you-may-not-know
rob was banned

That article only says Fox and Ness can, and I've never accomplished it with Link. Sk, would you post a 2 second video to show me? I'd like to learn it with Link.
i'll try to do it but right now its super hard. i''m guessing you need to recover aswell

edit

done, just did it with link sorta

-EDIT-
NO I DIDNT LOL

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Pika, Ness, Mario, and Luigi are the only characters who's forward smash with beam sword, home run bat, fan, and star rod hits in front of them and behind them. Coincidentally they're also the characters that can jabgrab.
Jab grab x crew x

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Metal Mario's fast fall is slower than his regular fall.
@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA

Normal Fall:

Fast Fall:

His character size multiplier is 1 while regular mario is 1.1
So Metal Mario is shorter than regular Mario.

Hyrule is huge.

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Today I learned that Fox can instantly double jump to the top platform on DL and get perfect landing. The timing is really tight but it's totally feasible. Rising laser never looked smoother.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Today I learned that Fox can instantly double jump to the top platform on DL and get perfect landing. The timing is really tight but it's totally feasible. Rising laser never looked smoother.
I don't understand what you mean. Can't every character double jump perfectly to the top of DL if you time it right? Or are you just saying it's cool with Fox because his jump is so fast?

BananaBolts

Well they can but Fox's is an instant double jump. It's just like Link's instant double jump w/ perfect landing on the side platforms.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

BananaBolts

I had no idea that mixa had already figured this out. I was just playing around in training mode. Thanks for the link, tehz.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
while buffering up, pressing 'c' + 'a' or 'c' + 'r' will result in an upsmash. useful for: walking & running upsmashes, aiming a shield to a quick upsmash & controlled, multiple upsmashes.

while in-shield and buffering up, pressing 'c' + 'b' will result in an up + b out-of-shield. useful for aiming a shield to a quick, controlled up + b.

while in-shield and buffering down, pressing 'c' + 'b' will result in a down + b out-of-shield. useful for aiming a shield to a quick, controlled down + b (except for dk).

:)

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
while buffering up, pressing 'c' + 'a' or 'c' + 'r' will result in an upsmash. useful for: walking upsmashes, aiming one's shield to a quick upsmash & controlled, multiple upsmashes...

while in-shield and buffering up, pressing 'c' + 'b' will result in an up + b out-of-shield. useful for aiming one's shield to a quick, controlled up + b.

Your name... I like dat shiz
Welcome to the 64 club :3

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the welcome! i only play 64 smash, so i'll be sticking around for a while... your handle is pretty cool too--glad you saw my luigi tech in the character thread, as i was mostly aiming that towards you.

incidentally, i'm currently maining luigi as well, so i'll be sure to pass along any other discoveries in the character-specific thread. however, here's one that especially applies to the weegster, but is also useful for any character, so i'll post it here:

follow a pivot with an immediate forward smash in the same initial direction of the pivot... this is similar to following a dash grab with a forward smash, but extends the range quicker & precludes the possibility of unwanted dash-smashing (particularly with luigi, who is prone to that). probably a tactic most useful for kirby.

also, i edited the post above to include additional, related tech that slipped my mind at first; specifically the running upsmash part & down-b section.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
thanks for the welcome! i only play 64 smash, so i'll be sticking around for a while... your handle is pretty cool too--glad you saw my luigi tech in the character thread, as i was mostly aiming that towards you.

incidentally, i'm currently maining luigi as well, so i'll be sure to pass along any other discoveries in the character-specific thread. however, here's one that especially applies to the weegster, but is also useful for any character, so i'll post it here:

follow a pivot with an immediate forward smash in the same initial direction of the pivot... this is similar to following a dash grab with a forward smash, but extends the range quicker & precludes the possibility of unwanted dash-smashing (particularly with luigi, who is prone to that). probably a tactic most useful for kirby.

also, i edited the post above to include additional, related tech that slipped my mind at first; specifically the running upsmash part & down-b section.
Nice! I love hanging around the ledge so I'll practice that a lot! :3 Id love to play/train your luigi online if ya want

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
buffering 'a' and pressing 'r' = 'z'.
can be used for rapidly-chained shield slides.

buffering 'z' in the air will activate shield upon landing. this has many uses, such as linking a z-cancelled aerial into a roll or plat drop, chained shield jumps & easy parries.

you can cargo throw through the ceiling of the left ledge of mushroom kingdom in the corner by the piranha plant.

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
kirby's back throw & neutral 'b' (ability-steal, not spit) both turn the opponent around, as does dk's up air (?).

ness's close range f-tilt knocks the opponent forward (hits their back, probably).

jigg's pound seems to do extra damage to shields (?).

dk is so fat that you can sometimes grab him while close & facing away from him (!).

you can jump, up smash & up + 'b' out of a shield slide.

if as link you throw a boomerang right before a bomb you are holding explodes, you will be knocked forwards.

double-tapping forward seems to get you into the sliding animation faster than holding forward (useful near ledges & on platforms to get to the teetering animation, or to get the sliding speed boost or slide turn-around faster).

luigi doesn't suck. :)

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Be falcon and stand at the end of the stage then roll backwards twice. Use falcon kick and falcon glides downwards off the stage, sometimes too far to make it back.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
double-tapping forward seems to get you into the sliding animation faster than holding forward (useful near ledges & on platforms to get to the teetering animation, or to get the sliding speed boost or slide turn-around faster).

luigi doesn't suck. :)
I can tell you're a Luigi main because you call it a "shield slide" and not a "shield stop."

while buffering up, pressing 'c' + 'a' or 'c' + 'r' will result in an upsmash. useful for: walking & running upsmashes, aiming a shield to a quick upsmash & controlled, multiple upsmashes.

while in-shield and buffering up, pressing 'c' + 'b' will result in an up + b out-of-shield. useful for aiming a shield to a quick, controlled up + b.

while in-shield and buffering down, pressing 'c' + 'b' will result in a down + b out-of-shield. useful for aiming a shield to a quick, controlled down + b (except for dk).

Very useful information to me, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
i consider pressing 'z' out of a full run a shield stop, but if you are pressing 'z' during an initial dash i'd label that a shield slide.

speaking of luigi, i just found out last night a great combo use for his fireballs! i'll post that in the luigi character thread so maaf finds it easier though.

glad to hear that you are finding my posts useful... i'm something of a trick hunter & happy to share, so i'll keep them coming.

speaking of which: if your opponent is on the edge of a platform or by the ledge of the stage & you roll to them you will fall off for an opportunity to quickly aerial or grab the ledge.

additionally, if you clash with an opponent's attack or projectile while near the edge (or ledge) it can knock you off for a similar opportunity (at least with luigi).

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Yeah man buffering OOS options is super useful to me because it's so hard to precisely time the "smash" motion on the stick under heavy shield pressure, at least for me. And I had no idea down b out of shield was even possible. I'm definitely gonna be messing around with that tonight.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
timing is one issue & speed is another... i think that buffering technique i mentioned helps with both. also, running + 'c' + down + 'b' is basically a running down + 'b'.

you can always down + 'b' out-of-shield on a platform, since it's essentially just shield-dropping into a down + 'b'... that's why dk can't do it, as he has no aerial down + 'b'. incidentally, dk has a very useful pivot down + 'b'... & did you know that the first hit of dk's down + 'b' can clash with an attack to guarantee the second hit landing?

today on dk i landed a fireball between the two hits of luigi's aerial down + 'b' for a nasty death combo.

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
the following four moves will put you into the teetering animation if performed against an edge or ledge, & will automatically shield-cancel, edge-cancel or ledge-cancel if you perform them against an edge or ledge & then immediately buffer 'z', left, right, or down: luigi's dash grab, link's dash attack, kirby's forward smash & jigglypuff's forward smash.

this technique has many useful applications that everyone should check out for themselves...

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
i thought it might be communal knowledge due to kirby's 'forward smash to rock-cancel' transition being known, but wasn't sure--just happened to stumble across the idea while playing around yesterday... people ought to learn this awesome technique if they haven't yet, as it is a very powerful tactic indeed (perhaps as useful as pivoting imho) to have another *method of being instantly in mid-air** at your disposal:

*1. if you buffer 'z' or 'r', you can instantly fast-fall by pressing 'down' after the shield-cancel.**
*2. if you buffer 'back,' you can instantly back-air by pressing 'a' or 'r' after the ledge-cancel.**
*3. if you buffer 'down', you can instantly down-air by pressing 'a' or 'r' after the ledge-cancel.**
*4. if you buffer 'z' or 'r', you can instantly neutral-air by pressing 'a' or r' after the shield-cancel.**
*5. if you buffer 'z' or 'r' & 'up,' you can instantly up-air by pressing 'a' or 'r' after the shield-cancel.**
*6. if you buffer 'forward', you can instantly forward-air by pressing 'a' or 'r' after the ledge-cancel.**
*7. if you buffer 'r', it's really easy for luigi to do all of these as his version starts with a dash-grab.**
*8. if you buffer 'z' or 'r' & do nothing else, you will fall off the edge or ledge after the shield-cancel.**
*9. if you buffer 'z' or 'r' & do nothing else, you can instantly mid-air b-move after the shield-cancel.**
*10. if you buffer 'z' or 'r', you can instantly jump mid-air by pressing 'c' or 'up' after the shield-cancel.**

*incorporating these will improve your combos, follow-ups & edgeguards for link, luigi, kirby & jigglypuff.**

GAME OVER NOOBZ

* a way with only 5 frames to activate for luigi, scrubz.
** great for characters with fast aerials like luigi, loserz.

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
The other day I was playing a kirby online with fox and on my last stock and their second to last he went for the ledge cancel -> suicide f-throw. Even though I was dead I was instinctively holding up and mashing some buttons bc for a second I felt like I could mash out like his stupid neutral b. Then somehow something amazing happened that I've never seen before:

Kirby hit the bottom blast zone and lost his stock and somehow I input an Up B with Fox before I touched the blast zone and died. Not only that but it was quick enough that it actually went off and I was able to shoot up before dying even though he drifts sometimes while it's charging up. Does anyone know about this? How big is the window you have to input stuff? I know Metal Mario will actually die first if Kirby suicide neutral B's him too, but I'm not sure if that's related.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
The other day I was playing a kirby online with fox and on my last stock and their second to last he went for the ledge cancel -> suicide f-throw. Even though I was dead I was instinctively holding up and mashing some buttons bc for a second I felt like I could mash out like his stupid neutral b. Then somehow something amazing happened that I've never seen before:

Kirby hit the bottom blast zone and lost his stock and somehow I input an Up B with Fox before I touched the blast zone and died. Not only that but it was quick enough that it actually went off and I was able to shoot up before dying even though he drifts sometimes while it's charging up. Does anyone know about this? How big is the window you have to input stuff? I know Metal Mario will actually die first if Kirby suicide neutral B's him too, but I'm not sure if that's related.
Kirby always dies first. Kirbycide last stock for both ends in kirby losing. Here is it happening with suck https://youtu.be/ge_DRT7ekDA?t=7m33s. I don't have any footage of it happening with throw but one time as pika a kirby fthrew me to kirbycide and not only did the kirby die, but I was actually able to upb back to the ledge and didn't die at all. It was in a doubles match.

Dizzle

Smash Cadet
Kirby always dies first. Kirbycide last stock for both ends in kirby losing. Here is it happening with suck https://youtu.be/ge_DRT7ekDA?t=7m33s. I don't have any footage of it happening with throw but one time as pika a kirby fthrew me to kirbycide and not only did the kirby die, but I was actually able to upb back to the ledge and didn't die at all. It was in a doubles match.
1. that's hilarious
2. that could've easily been linked later but you baltimore fellows have your heads so far up your own asses you had to show off the full comeback :awesome:

Top Bottom