• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple facts that you may not know...

SpeedGhost

Smash Cadet
I'm sure alot of pple know this, but I don't think I've ever seen it written down anywhere... So just in case-- you can Usmash out of shield.

firo

Smash Ace
I'm looking for some data on ledge and edge cancelling. (Are they really different?)

Specifically, can every aerial move be edge cancelled without the help of another character/wind? Is there a minimum x-speed/maximum y-speed required? Does the requirement change depending on the way you are facing?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I was always told that a ledge is something you can grab on to, like the furthest points of Hyrule. An edge is the end-point of any walking surface, including platforms.

e.g: Peach's Castle has no ledges but 6 edges.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Because you don't always go for the sweetspot (ledge) when recovering. You can try to go over on to the stage.

All ledgeguarding is edgeguarding but not all edgeguarding involves ledgeguarding.

Or something. It was ages ago when I asked for the difference on the server and that's what I vaguely remember.

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
your first attack that hits in the match has a bonus %2 damage.
Is this true? Is there any additional knockback? Are the theoretically combos that work if you do them at the very beginning of the match, but wouldn't work at any other time?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Seems like complete BS to me.

Yesterday, I remembered something I forgot to post here, but I forgot it again >_>

blaze3927

Smash Ace
well it happens in training mode for sure except % varies
just confirmed it works in vs mode
see
you guys are noobs
go capt falcon. do a uair first time it hits will be 16%
next time it hits until you both die wikll be %12.
happens for all falcons move cept jab\

Pwnd

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yeah but do a nair after that process. First time it hits it will do 16%
Next time only 12%

Just means a move goes stale after the first time you use it.

pwnd ownd

p.s: I made the coolest family tree on desiree forums check it.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Stale move properties still apply even after you come back from losing your stock.

I think in melee/brawl all moves refresh when you come back to life.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Stale move properties still apply even after you come back from losing your stock.
no

Touche grasshoppers.
i always presumed stale moves reffered to sex kicks

NICE

links grab changes his hurtbox like dk's taunt. i had a vid on it earlier

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
IDK if this is well known(it's a training mode only thing):-

If you stand inside the Hyrule "**** tent", and try to create a Beam Sword, the Sword will be created off the edge and will fall down at once.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
no

Touche grasshoppers.
i always presumed stale moves reffered to sex kicks

NICE

links grab changes his hurtbox like dk's taunt. i had a vid on it earlier
we usually just call that the "weak" hitbox. Stale moves are just lower damage/knockback versions of the normal moves, whereas weak moves are entirely different; they even have a different sound effect.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
^^i GUESS that makes sense

is links down a the only move the only A aerial that gives upward momentum (obv only if it hits)?

B Link

Smash Lord
If you have a good enough computer, play with the graphics plugin and turn up some of the quality settings. It makes a BIG difference.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
-Chansey and Charmander can be knocked out of the pokemon box.

-There is nothing more satisfying than Falcon uair combos on Giant Donkey Kong.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
On that note, Yoshi U-Tilt knocks Chansey out of the box.

Falcon Punch is actually performed with Falcon's pinky finger. This is probably true.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
If you're hit by an attack while still in the DI frames of another attack, you don't receive KB from the second attack (Courtesy of SK)
WOW

This explains everything! Whenever my buddy and I do "Donkey killing" where we both pound the crap out of a lone DK, there always seem to be problems in correctly recording who gets the kill.

For example, Kirby will be drilling DK, and Falcon will B-air, sending DK off the edge and dying, yet Kirby gets credited with the kill when Falcon's knockback clearly killed DK.

What's happening here is that between hits of the drill (after the drill's DI frames), the Falcon hit comes in and connects, sending the character flying, but while in those DI frames, Kirby sneaks in one more hit of the drill (knockback-less, so as to not "catch" DK), and so is credited with the kill because Kirby technically hit DK last.

Very interesting...

blaze3927

Smash Ace
the direction your facing when you die will be the direction you face when you come back on the cloud.

you can falcon punch through safrons pokebox

if your charging a samus shot on yoshi's cloud and the cloud fades you will automatically release the charge shot

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Stick jumps are not a fixed height!

Found this out when playing around with the range and an Xbox controller. Try setting the range somewhere around 55% and mashing up. Then set it to 50% and mash up again, the jump will be slightly lower. I was able to make Falcon land perfectly on a dreamland platform with no extra height doing this.

What exactly does the range/threshold do? It limits the emulated stick movement, so the game doesn't register the stick being pushed as far, right? Which is why if you set it low enough, you won't be able to dash, and high enough that you get disgusting DI. So, stick jumps must be a wide variety of different heights, depending on how far you push the stick (seems nearly impossible to be this precise on console, though).

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Stick jumps are not a fixed height!

Found this out when playing around with the range and an Xbox controller. Try setting the range somewhere around 55% and mashing up. Then set it to 50% and mash up again, the jump will be slightly lower. I was able to make Falcon land perfectly on a dreamland platform with no extra height doing this.
Can someone confirm this?

The Star King

Smash Hero
He posted plenty before, during your break. He took a break himself, which is when you came back lol

I believe him, anyways.

:phone:

Top Bottom