• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple facts that you may not know...

TANK64

Smash Lord
On Zebes with Fox, you can do a weird angled up-b against the ground (by the middle hump) and firefox through the floor. I figured this out trying firefox combos in training mode a while back (Don't know if there's a similar one on Congo?).

You can also do weird stuff by angling firefox into a hill (especially on Zebes) like stop it, or shoot out and immediately ledge cancel.

DMoogle

A$
Ness still receives the knockback of the Giant Punch, despite being hit by the bumper afterwards.
Oh, right. DI produces weird effects.

Probably all A tier and most of B tier knows this, but it's worthwhile to experiment with different jump heights. Stick jumps allow you to jump very slightly higher than c-button jumps. Standing jumps (and I think walking jumps are the same, not entirely sure though) allow you to jump significantly higher than running jumps. It's a good idea to have a solid feel for each character's minimum required jump heights to get to the platform above them. This is crucial for **** tent combos that finish on the main platform, because most characters can't jump up there with running jumps, even though it looks like they just barely miss getting over.

Ness' down-B and probably up-B too cancel on the ledge, and seem to allow him to grab the ledge from further below (EDIT: This is actually false. I just tested it, and it looks like neither the up-B nor the down-B allow him to grab the ledge from further below. However, the fact that they can be used to cancel Ness's double jump and thus grab the ledge earlier still makes them extremely useful). Yoshi's down-B apparently allows him to grab the ledge from further below as well. So, if you just barely miss the ledge, use the down-B and it might give you that extra require boost.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
most characters have invincibility frames after/while performing a btrhow/fthrow
it appears dk has the longest invincibility frames after the throw is complete.

if you fthrow with kirby pikachu can thunder the kirby/and or the grabbed for a 0-death while kirby is at the top of the jump

fsmash-rest seems to combo shields for weak shield breaking

Samus will not reach the lower dreamland platforms just by shorthopping, however if samus shorthops and down B's or neut B's at the limit of her jump she'll land

Mario can shorthop nair-uair, shorthop[ bair-uair, shorthop uair uair, shorthop dair uair, shorthop fair uair.

If you hit A during the intial jumping frames of a jump it will be a usmash instead.

theres a certain position with cpt falcons downB that will cause falcon to fall off the ledge/ground/polatform at the end of the attack while still having the falcon kick ending lag, there doesntseem to be any hitbox during this period though

A near perfect sing can interrupt a kirby fsmash duiring/before and after the hitbox is out

jiggs utilt is nearly as big as kirby's utilt. OBV slower

ill think of more

Limaçon

Smash Apprentice
If you hit A during the intial jumping frames of a jump it will be a usmash instead.
Thank you for this. I have been trying to figure out for the longest time why my mario sh dair's occasionally come out as down smashes even with the stick barely down.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
The yellow shockwave at the end of an aerial Falcon Kick into the ground has a hitbox.

Link U-Air will never hit twice in the same animation on the same opponent.

B Link

Smash Lord
>_>

yoshi slides when he hits a diagonal platform using down b. kirby's stars come out when he "touches" a diagonal platform, his head hits a platform, any thing (except when he's going through platforms)

kirby star -> yoshi star -> invincible star -> shooting star -> star king

asianaussie

Smash Hero
hey, i just pointed out another character fulfills all the criteria you specified in that point

Many moves, if they hit shields, guaranteed a grab - this is especially useful for characters with laggy (ie grapple) grabs:

Samus N-Air (you have to be close to the ground) and fully charged Neutral B (if you can use the grab almost immediately afterwards)
Link strong F-Air, U-Air and fastfalled D-Air (first two can be fastfalled too)

I think somebody made a video on this.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I rule all of those stars, how they can possibly be better than me? Fool.

Except that I didn't know about the Kirby star thing

I knew all 9 of blaze's things (I think Puff's Utilt has the same hitbox as Kirby's BTW) but not B Link's single fact. Step it up, blaze.

Woah I combo'd a Kirby Fsmash into pivot Utilt on DK while trying B Link's thing out, me gusta

blaze3927

Smash Ace
kirbies taunt releasing a special releasing a star.
that star is ACTUALLY a projectile that can only be hit by other hitboxes but will not effect a hurtbox.

okay that is unconfirmed, seen on two occassions
1st-links bomb was thrown and it collided with it, seemed to blow it up
2nd- A link dair bounced off it

someone with hitbox codes bust this myth?

The Star King

Smash Hero
OK I didn't know that

You win this round, blaze

EDIT: Oh you're not even sure about it what a noob, I kind of doubt it bro

Peek~

Smash Lord
Ness' down-B and probably up-B too cancel on the ledge, and seem to allow him to grab the ledge from further below. Yoshi's down-B apparently allows him to grab the ledge from further below as well. So, if you just barely miss the ledge, use the down-B and it might give you that extra require boost.
Odd cause Magnet looks like it sends you downward, so perhaps in the first couple of frames?

I played around with this a while ago, Thunder definitely feels like it has some extension.

DMoogle

A$
Odd cause Magnet looks like it sends you downward, so perhaps in the first couple of frames?
Just tested it in Training mode close-up with slow speeds. Ness sort of ducks when he uses it, but he doesn't go down, so you might be occasionally accidentally fastfalling right before you use it.

I then spent about 5 minutes testing to see if down-B or up-B actually adds height to ledge-grabbing ability. I tested on the left side of the helicopter pad to the far right on Saffron, using the "windows" below as an approximate measure. As it turns out, it looks like neither of them add to grab height!

Of course, they do allow ledge grabs much sooner than waiting for the jump to end does, so they're still very useful in that regard.

EDIT: Oh, and as for more facts some people may not know: both Fox's and Kirby's down-B moves can shatter like shields. IIRC, they need to reflect/be hit by as much "damage" as shields need, 55% or whatever.

Sangoku

Smash Master
The yellow shockwave at the end of an aerial Falcon Kick into the ground has a hitbox.
Oh that's why this CPU often hit me twice with a single Falcon Kick.

I think somebody made a video on this.
Yes, S2J made one.

EDIT: Oh, and as for more facts some people may not know: both Fox's and Kirby's down-B moves can shatter like shields. IIRC, they need to reflect/be hit by as much "damage" as shields need, 55% or whatever.
I thought Kirby needed less percent to break? I remember being something like ~30. Haven't checked though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, it's in the fifties. Otherwise giant punch would break

SK tested it with ness uairs and kirby utilts, took about 55 to break.

B Link

Smash Lord
Simple stuff:
- letting go of the joystick direction after pika's UpB makes you go farther

Other useless stuff (non-technical):

- Link: jabbing a bomb continuously on the left corner of hyrule can raise it to the middle platform
- Link: on zebes, top platform left corner: throwing a bomb weak down will not hit the left platform, but a strong throw down will.
- Falcon: you can do 9 consecutive falcon upbs another falcon against a wall (using the opponent's double jump to reposition) - this is without touching the floor obviously
- Falcon: when reviving, you can do a horizontal falcon kick as if you were on a platform (easiest to do on kb)
- DK/Pikachu: on peach's castle: You can stall a match by upb'ing into the bumper repeatedly
- Kirby: If a link throws a bomb up, you can continously fair it 3-4 times (can't remember the exact number) before it explodes. Looks cool :p
- Nessx2Foxes: If you reflect Ness's Upb with 2 foxes back and forth, weird things happen
- KirbyxPikachu: Kirby throws, Pikachu uses down B = kill

All Characters:
- peach's castle: the bottom moving platform can cancel grab attacks for you
- bumper doesn't stop combo meter
- there may be other moves (other than DK taunt) that can dodge fox's lasers
- several moves go through the green tower on hyrule (DK Bair, Link Fair...)
- several moves can hit an opponent on MK's top left platform from beneath (jigglypuff's uair, DK's Uair etc.)

If I remember more I'll edit this post

blaze3297 said:
kirbies taunt releasing a special releasing a star.
that star is ACTUALLY a projectile that can only be hit by other hitboxes but will not effect a hurtbox.
I feel like I've seen it get hit randomly in matches but I'm not sure either.

kirby star > star king said:
You can do invisible shines on the ground of the **** tent by holding down and left and doing the standard fast shines (like for shine jabs and stuff). This doesn't work on the top of the **** tent. This makes me believe that the ground here is VEEEERY slightly sloped upwards to the left.
Didn't know this

I always associated the invincibles shines with the left side of hyrule and platforms which are OBVIOUSLY sloped, this post started making me think about places like the small red platform slants on peach's castle lol

RickySSB

Smash Ace
Aerial attacks that can hit the enemy using drop-cancel on diagonal/rising platforms. (Especially Peach Castle)

Luigi = Nair - Uair
Mario = Nair - Uair
DK = Nair - Uair - Dair
Link = Nair
Samus = Nair - Uair - Dair - Fair - Bair
Falcon = Nair - Uair
Ness = Nair - Dair
Yoshi = Nair - Dair
Kirby = Nair - Dair - Fair(non Z-canceled) - Bair
Fox = Nair - Dair - Bair
Pikachu = Nair - Uair - Fair
Jigglypuff = Nair - Uair - Dair - Fair - Bair.

TANK64

Smash Lord
yup, that's why it always pokes if you don't angle your shield like a PRO.
I'm always surprised of how many people don't know this.

-also why parrying it is usually a problem.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If by that you're asking does the "snap back" part have any influence..i dont think so.

I'm pretty sure it's the lack of holding a direction that allows the boost.

Here's the REAL trick...you can do this with BOTH parts of Pikas UpB

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I'm asking which one allows for a longer recovery distance

Not holding B or releasing the analog stick to snap back to its neutral position. One of them has to be wrong if both of them claim to have the same results. I'm thinking it's both.

The Star King

Smash Hero
No, it's in the fifties. Otherwise giant punch would break

SK tested it with ness uairs and kirby utilts, took about 55 to break.
No, it was 38% for Kirby's stone. Probably 55% for Fox's shine.

And Kirby's stone doesn't shatter like a shield. If you reach 38%, Kirby gets knocked out of his stone and receives the remainder percent. i.e. If you deal 41% to Kirby's stone, Kirby receives the knockback of the last move you used on the stone and 3% damage.

- Link: on zebes, top platform left corner: throwing a bomb weak down will not hit the left platform, but a strong throw down will.
I remember this leading to another discovery that I personally didn't know - rolling to an edge and turning around brings you farther to the edge than teetering then doing a move. This trick doesn't work if you teeter -> pull bomb, but it does if you roll to edge -> turn around -> pull bomb.

DMoogle

A$
And Kirby's stone doesn't shatter like a shield. If you reach 38%, Kirby gets knocked out of his stone and receives the remainder percent. i.e. If you deal 41% to Kirby's stone, Kirby receives the knockback of the last move you used on the stone and 3% damage.
Oh, I guess I forgot. I've never tried it myself, first time I heard about it was when you posted it a few months ago.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'm asking which one allows for a longer recovery distance

Not holding B or releasing the analog stick to snap back to its neutral position. One of them has to be wrong if both of them claim to have the same results. I'm thinking it's both.
what i meant was that having the stick in a neutral position increases distance

sorry if i was unclear

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yeah, I can confirm that holding B or not is irrelevant to distance after the Up-B, unless it's like the tiniest bit invisible to the human eye.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
on virtual console there is graphic changes too peach's castle

I was playing smash at 4am this morning, falcon kick looked like it ledge cancelled, however i couldnt replicate that

B Link

Smash Lord
Oops, I meant returning it to the center. But actually a better way of describing it is in fact to let go of the direction your joystick is in. I edited my post. I don't know why I mentioned b, probably cuz of trying to log in with my name so often.

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
Some projectile facts.

Samus' Down-B smart bomb is completely invulnerable to all physical attacks and most projectiles will go through it, so it cannot be hit to avoid damage from it.

- Another Samus' smart bomb, Link's Bombs, Bomb-omb, Monitor Sensor Mine and any exploding Boxes and Capsules, are the only exception.
- It cannot be reflected by Fox's Down-B "Shine"
- it cannot be absorbed by Ness's Down-B "Energy Shield"

Fox's Neutral-B lasers have a similar effect and cannot be blocked by any physical attack to avoid damage.

- It can be Reflected by Fox's Down-B "Shine".
- It can be Absorbed by Ness' Down-B "Energy Shield".
- Mario and Luigi's Fireballs will go through it.
- It can collide with throw-able items Like Link's bombs, but it will go through some items like Beam Sword, Star Rod, Ray Gun(even the shot) and Fan.
- Fox's Lasers are the longest lasting projectile in the game, they can go across the screen until they hit something (an item, a character or a wall).

Yoshi's Up-B Egg has actually 2 hit-boxes, the egg itself and the explosion coming from it.

- The Egg can be hit by strong physical attacks before it explodes to avoid damage
- The explosion from Yoshi's Egg cannot be blocked by attacks and it will hit everything around it (except Fox lasers and Samus' smart bomb.)
- This same explosion cannot be Reflected or Absorbed.
- The egg however can be reflected by Fox's Down-B "Shine" before it explodes.

Top Bottom