• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

D

Deleted member

Not that the original didn't know how to scare you with it's monsters. Can you say... giant spiders
in a fetch quest? Or how about a slowly approaching T-Rex while you desperately try to kill that
unique monster in Maka Forest.
I think that they will be scary even more so in this game.

The previous game did have their share of scary monsters... such as Territorial Rotbart, who comes out of nowhere when you are fighting and one shots you.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Jesus Christ how horrifying!
Adding on to what some of the other people are saying:
When I saw this in the video, I noticed that enemies can actually outrun you now.
In Xenoblade, whilst there were some terrifying enemies, everything runs at the exact same pace. You can peg a rock at something and just run away until it gets bored. The little Bunnits run like Sonic for their size, and the giant Gogols move so slowly for the length of their legs you can barely call it walking. Glad to see something like this - makes them a lot more intimidating.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
That's the type of monster I'll want to aggro intentionally. :)

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I really hope that the Dolls (Mechs) are customizable in some way. If possible, I'm gonna try to squeeze as much time piloting them as I can.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I really hope that the Dolls (Mechs) are customizable in some way. If possible, I'm gonna try to squeeze as much time piloting them as I can.
Dreaming here but I'd love to see some kind of minigame in X where we can race Dolls against others in some sort of obstacle course.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Dreaming here but I'd love to see some kind of minigame in X where we can race Dolls against others in some sort of obstacle course.
You're not a lone dreamer then cause that sounds cool ;__;

It reminds me of FFXIV's future update where they're planning to have Chocobo Racing, though idk if it'll be the same as it was in VII or completely revised.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
[quote="BluePikmin11, post: 18530804, member: 217199"]I'm curious, which game's story do you think is better? Earthbound's or Xenoblade's? Feel free to add in Mother 3 if you want.[/quote]
I personally prefer M3 for the tear jerker effect and how symbolic it is, but Xenoblade is literally like a step behind it holy crap.

I also noticed alooooooooooooooooooooot of similarities with the plot (and t he games in themselves concerning outside circumstances), seriously makes me think Monolith took a few things from M3 rather than it being concidence. I mean:

- Fiora dies early in plot, Claus dies early in plot, both somewhat kick off the story
- Both of the above get ressurrected as Machines with no control of their bodies originally
- Both main protagonists have character development, are resolved to fight due to the death of their loved ones, and have legit. personalities (Not as obvious for Lucas after chapter 4, but if you look and listen to the little details, you can tell it's there)
- The main villains (Porky and Zanza) want to basically destroy the world for selfish reasons (Porky for boredom, Zanza for his arrogance)
- The Narratives/Plot are incredibly dark for First Party Nintendo games, and can be tearjerkers at times
- Both the games end with the main protagonists basically remaking their worlds to be better.

Concerning the games themselves:
- Both obscure Nintendo games that are as far from different as most first party games have dared to go when it comes to First Party Nintendo Franchises
- Both Shulk and Lucas being Dark Horse Ensembles that no one knows about that were newcomers in respective Smash games

These could be coincidences, but i see way too many similarities than i would've expected between Mother 3 and Xenoblade. I personally consider Mother 3 as the Xenoblade of Nintendo before Xenoblade came out.

Also, friend reminded me, Shulk's victory theme is easily my favorite Victory theme for any of the characters. I mean, just listen to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNPfwN3v5Y

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Woah!

Where are "Dolls" when you need them?

Plus what happened to Elma (is she that wisp of smoke)? No reviving like in Xenoblade?
I think that wisp of smoke is just a beacon, so you know where the character is. Battles seem much more spaced out than before, so it would make sense.

D

Deleted member

Jump art meta summarized in one video

http://s1.webmshare.com/0gPMe.webm
So auto-cancelled nair, up tilt, fair, and Air Slash? Okeydokey.

Also, friend reminded me, Shulk's victory theme is easily my favorite Victory theme for any of the characters. I mean, just listen to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNPfwN3v5Y
Shulk's victory theme is absolutely incredible. Definitely one of the best in Smash, especially when you get hyped for winning!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey, (basic) subtitles.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
More X music.

Proof it is in X:

Pretty great if I do say so myself.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Better! Took me a minute to realize I actually had to hit the CC/Subtitles button for this to work.

EDIT: Embedded your video

Tatsu actually mentions that the Nopon are native to Mira.

Also, Vandam, the mustached Commander of Blade, has a favorite phrase. It's "Do 1000 million push ups!"

If only mustache was pink! Seriously though, he might be the "Cid" of the game, as the Japanese name of Colonel Vangarre is the same as ol' Sqaurestache! Seriously, check out 10:40 of the video and compare the Japanese to his entry here: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Vangarre.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Interesting.

So what I gathered:
Tatsu is going to have a running food joke.
The areas are big.
The ma non are pacifists but have incredible technology.
The areas are huge.
The Byas wants to kill all earthlings just cause.
The areas are ginormous.
You can't pilot dolls at the beginning of the game. Tatsu may also be able to pilot dolls after all, (since I saw some doubt).
The areas are giant.
Lu is an artist. Interesting.
Nopon function exactly as they did in the previous games as being merchants.
This game is looking to still retain the charm of Xenoblade. Even if potentially at a lesser extent.
Noctilucent forest is best area.
Probes can be customized.

Lastly, there could potentially be another X direct focusing more on the battle mechanics.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just to reiterate, this guy:

has the same name as this guy:

Has this been brought up before and I just missed it?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Just to reiterate, this guy:

has the same name as this guy:

Has this been brought up before and I just missed it?
Probably just a silly reference/running trope in Xenoblade. Like having a guy named Cid in all your games. Maybe they have a Vanguard?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Probably just a silly reference/running trope in Xenoblade. Like having a guy named Cid in all your games. Maybe they have a Vanguard?
Oh, I don't think it means anything, I just think it's awesome. Like you said, it's a Cid situation, which is fun, since Xenoblade already has it's Moogles.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Sweet, I am going to have to watch the English subs later.

On another note, I love how Xenoblade Chronicles brings shame to modern Square Enix RPG's(except for Bravely Default of course). It takes away a lot of the salt I have because modern Final Fantasy is moronic. I do not see however, people saying that Xenoblade X is going to bring shame to Zelda Wii U. Sure, it will probably have a bigger world then Zelda, yet I have a feeling Zelda Wii U's world is going to be more densely packed as well, plus Zelda Wii U has dungeons as well.

On yet another note, I have a question. When will we get to be able to play a Xenoblade X demo? Nintendo is definitely going to do it, seeing that it is an RPG, and is a series that is pretty obscure(meaning not many people have played it, many people know about it however), much like how Fire Emblem was when it released Awakening. Well whenever it will come, Ganondorf will be very very excited to play it.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
The areas are big.
The areas are huge.
The areas are ginormous.
The areas are giant.
So it's a Xenoblade game.

The ma non are pacifists but have incredible technology.
Like the Machina and High Entia! :O
iirc I read somewhere that Vangarre himself is an expy from characters in Xenogears and Xenosaga. I think I mentioned this a couple pages back actually but it got lost in the Xenohype

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Better! Took me a minute to realize I actually had to hit the CC/Subtitles button for this to work.

Lyn: "Advanced technology!? As a mechanic, my spirit...!"

New theory: Lyn is Shulk's descendant. I'm sure I've picked the right person to be descended from Shulk now. We just had to predict everyone else first.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646

New theory: Lyn is Shulk's descendant. I'm sure I've picked the right person to be descended from Shulk now. We just had to predict everyone else first.
I think there's a viable theory for anyone in X being Shulk's descendant. I still think it's Irina

by the way the Xenoblade website updated again with another one of Riki's Adventures, featuring Tatsu! I want both of those plush :(

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion

All I know is that Lyn looks to be the best girl in gaming since SS Zelda. Everything she says is beautifully written, especially the rivalry between her and Tatsu, it's both hilarious and heartwarming. Her Japanese voice actor is so cute(If NoA or NoE botch her, I will be extremely angry). Her design is amazing and she is very pretty. She just looks to be... Perfect by all means...
As for Shulk...
If we assume that the world Shulk creates is Planet Mira(due to the fact that Nopon and Telethia are native to it, then how can any human be related to Shulk(unless he/she were native to Mira)? All the humans came from earth... Or perhaps Shulk separated humans from the other species.... We also still have no idea who that guy in the first trailer is as well.... Maybe he could be a native to Mira...

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Jump art meta summarized in one video

http://s1.webmshare.com/0gPMe.webm
I attended a Smash tourney yesterday and pulled something like this. Went to edgeguard with an off-stage Air Slash and immediately realised I wouldn't be able to make it back to the stage and lost the match. (Performed terribly yesterday.) On that same note, I fought a Mega Man who did almost nothing but roll - is there any easy way to punish rolling?

Tatsu actually mentions that the Nopon are native to Mira.

Also, Vandam, the mustached Commander of Blade, has a favorite phrase. It's "Do 1000 million push ups!"

If only mustache was pink! Seriously though, he might be the "Cid" of the game, as the Japanese name of Colonel Vangarre is the same as ol' Sqaurestache! Seriously, check out 10:40 of the video and compare the Japanese to his entry here: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Vangarre.
So it's a Xenoblade game.

Like the Machina and High Entia! :O

iirc I read somewhere that Vangarre himself is an expy from characters in Xenogears and Xenosaga. I think I mentioned this a couple pages back actually but it got lost in the Xenohype
Yeah, I've not played them but apparently Xenogears and Xenosaga both had a guy called Vanderkaum. He was also filling the role of "jerk commander", like Vangarre and how it sounds Van Damme is going to be.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
So auto-cancelled nair, up tilt, fair, and Air Slash? Okeydokey.
It wasn't an autocancelled NAir because NAir doesn't autocancel until frame 80. It was just a late NAir. People seem to constantly misunderstand what autocancelling means. Autocancelling an aerial is when you land during your aerial at a certain point in the animation such that you go into regular landing lag (which is 3 or 4 frames iirc) as opposed to the aerial's landing lag. The timings are different for every attack, and are typically for a couple of frames at the very start of the animation and near the end. With Shulk however, all of his autocancel timings are absurdly late and he has none at the start. I believe they are the following:

NAir - Frame 80
FAir - Frame 57
BAir - Frame 79
UAir - Frame 79
DAir - Frame 78

This means that none of his aerials autocancel on short hop, and only FAir autocancels on rising fullhop (and only if you're not in Speed/Shield). The reason why people constantly misconceive NAir for autocancelling is because it has naturally low landing lag (12 frames to be exact).

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Funny story: I bought Xenoblade Chronicles about a year ago, but I never actually played it because I was kind of embarrassed at having spent a ridiculous amount of $$ on what was essentially an impulse purchase. When Shulk was revealed for Sm4sh, I was thinking "hmmmm that series name sounds familiar. I wonder?" and I looked up the box art and yup, there's that big stone dude and the red sword. I got it sent to my new place and I've been playing it almost non-stop ever since. It's the weirdest coincidence; perhaps if Shulk hadn't been in Sm4sh, I would've just ignored it for a very long time. Smash saving souls every day~

I'm pretty sure I'm about halfway through the story. Smash actually "spoiled" one thing

I realized Metal Face was Mumkhar from the opening sequence because he had the same accent as Metal Face in Sm4sh, obvs. From this, it was really easy to find out that the Monado did not work on Faces because they're actually people somehow.

but it was really obvious otherwise even without Smash. I'm super curious about how it all turns out. I've been trying to avoid spoilers as much as I can; I didn't even read the trophy descriptions because I heard they spoiled something. I already spoiled most of Attack On Titan; I don't want to do that again.

This is the first new series I've played in a long while, so I was super uncomfortable with the controls and had no idea what I was doing for a while. To give you an example, I died like ten (maybe even more) times to the Arachno Queen, more than I've died with any other boss or enemy so far. I've gotten the hang of it now, and I find the battle system pretty fun. The dialogue is also kind of unintentionally hilarious. "Water! The source of all life!" "Oww! Hot to the touch!" "Dance with me!" and practically everything Reyn says. I appreciate the non-American localization, despite being American myself; it's nice to see something not aimed at Americans and it gave us the comedy gold that is Cockney Robots.

I can't wait to finish the game so I can read this thread without dodging spoilers left and right. I'll get there! In another fifty hours!

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
[quote="KimKarsmashian, post: 18549072, member: 256656"]Funny story: I bought Xenoblade Chronicles about a year ago, but I never actually played it because I was kind of embarrassed at having spent a ridiculous amount of $$ on what was essentially an impulse purchase. When Shulk was revealed for Sm4sh, I was thinking "hmmmm that series name sounds familiar. I wonder?" and I looked up the box art and yup, there's that big stone dude and the red sword. I got it sent to my new place and I've been playing it almost non-stop ever since. It's the weirdest coincidence; perhaps if Shulk hadn't been in Sm4sh, I would've just ignored it for a very long time. Smash saving souls every day~

I'm pretty sure I'm about halfway through the story. Smash actually "spoiled" one thing

I realized Metal Face was Mumkhar from the opening sequence because he had the same accent as Metal Face in Sm4sh, obvs. From this, it was really easy to find out that the Monado did not work on Faces because they're actually people somehow.

but it was really obvious otherwise even without Smash. I'm super curious about how it all turns out. I've been trying to avoid spoilers as much as I can; I didn't even read the trophy descriptions because I heard they spoiled something. I already spoiled most of Attack On Titan; I don't want to do that again.

This is the first new series I've played in a long while, so I was super uncomfortable with the controls and had no idea what I was doing for a while. To give you an example, I died like ten (maybe even more) times to the Arachno Queen, more than I've died with any other boss or enemy so far. I've gotten the hang of it now, and I find the battle system pretty fun. The dialogue is also kind of unintentionally hilarious. "Water! The source of all life!" "Oww! Hot to the touch!" "Dance with me!" and practically everything Reyn says. I appreciate the non-American localization, despite being American myself; it's nice to see something not aimed at Americans and it gave us the comedy gold that is Cockney Robots.

I can't wait to finish the game so I can read this thread without dodging spoilers left and right. I'll get there! In another fifty hours![/quote]
Whatever you do, DO NOT READ THE TROPHIES FOR THE MECHON PERIOD. Just don't unlock the Mechonis Trophy (Challenge 63 i think), and they won't appear in Smash until you do, i found that out recently. Once you finish Agniratha (you'll know when you've finished it and Mechonis Core begins) then you can freely watch Smash spoilers, as that's the extent to which Smash spoils. Honestly, Smash basically spoils the beginning of the game, and pretty much all of Mechonis minus Sword Valley.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Whatever you do, DO NOT READ THE TROPHIES FOR THE MECHON PERIOD. Just don't unlock the Mechonis Trophy (Challenge 63 i think), and they won't appear in Smash until you do, i found that out recently. Once you finish Agniratha (you'll know when you've finished it and Mechonis Core begins) then you can freely watch Smash spoilers, as that's the extent to which Smash spoils. Honestly, Smash basically spoils the beginning of the game, and pretty much all of Mechonis minus Sword Valley.
Wait, seriously? That's actually pretty neat, and explains why I haven't been getting more Xenoblade trophies (I finished the first trophy box already but couldn't find anything from the second). Anyone have tips for beating that? I tried once, think I ended up a minute over the time limit :/ Do you just pile on offensive equipment?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Wait, seriously? That's actually pretty neat, and explains why I haven't been getting more Xenoblade trophies (I finished the first trophy box already but couldn't find anything from the second). Anyone have tips for beating that? I tried once, think I ended up a minute over the time limit :/ Do you just pile on offensive equipment?
My bad, its challegne 27, challenge 63 is Bionis.

Challenge 27, my advice is just spam Buster usage and Counter, and do your best. That's all i could do, given you cant use Customs for All Stars.

Oh, and put it on Easy mode. You neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it.

D

Deleted member

Actually, I unlocked the Mechonis trophy and I still haven't seen any more Xenoblade trophies. I have completed Shulk and His Friends and I have the trophies for both the Bionis and the Mechonis. (the former I used... a Golden Hammer... Smash Tour is torture, OK?)

But, I still haven't seen anything from the Mechonis line.

Last edited by a moderator:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I unlocked the Mechonis trophy and still haven't gotten any of those other xenoblade trophies.
Actually, I unlocked the Mechonis trophy and I still haven't seen any more Xenoblade trophies. I have completed Shulk and His Friends and I have the trophies for both the Bionis and the Mechonis. (the former I used... a Golden Hammer... Smash Tour is torture, OK?)

But, I still haven't seen anything from the Mechonis line.
Same here, actually. Lol, I actually don't know anybody who has them.

...does ANYONE have them? This is weird :3.

Top Bottom