• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
I definitely need to get a Shulk amiibo. I just have to be lucky to preorder it in San Diego since they go by very quickly.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I've got a Shulk, but my mom couldn't get it yesterday, so she'll get it today. After him, the only exclusive I'll need will be Meta Knight. :)

I've heard stories of places selling preorders before people even have a chance to go get them, I'm hoping that never happens to me ever.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
They have an option to change bust size...

This is next gen character customization.
Of course. Of course.

tbh I'm probably going to just end up going with default Cross

D

Deleted member

I'm now trying to grasp the fact that a first party Nintendo game has this option.

Last edited by a moderator:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09

Da Soul Calibur tech

I actually didn't know you could just make your own character. Now that I know this, I'm gonna ask you all a question. How many of you are gonna make a Xenoblade character? I might just end up making Fiora myself.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
UPDATE: ORDERS ARE UP ON GAMESTOP.COM FOR MORE SHULK AMIIBO!!!!!

Doesn't ship until freaking MAY, but I grabbed one!!

:happysheep::happysheep::happysheep:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I'm now trying to grasp the fact that a first party Nintendo game that has this option.
I wouldn't be surprised if this feature ended up being Japan only and localized versions don't have it.

Just checked

Although I live in Canada so I wouldn't be able to get it shipped to me anyways.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Alright, I want everyone here to be perfectly honest.

How many people in this thread named their Shulk amiibo "Monado Boy"?
If i get him, im gonna do what erico did and name him
Zanza. That or Amiibo Boy.

I remember your Shulk, that match was intense.

Personally I think Link vs Shulk match up is even, maybe I could say it’s a 5-5 match up. I obviously didn't prove that though.

Specifically, I think Link can shut down Jump and Shield: The up throw bomb can space the incoming high jump fair/nair attack. Shield can be jumped over, and if you have a bomb in hand the down throw bomb is really helpful to keep him away.

Speed is a problem, Link has the option to space speed with the first jab or a timed nair. Still, speed is the best bet for shulk against Link.

For Smash and Buster, im still not sure how to approach them.
Omg, you're on here too? It's been forever since we've battle, we should do it again sometime! : D

Link can definitely shut down Shield, Jump might be a bit hard, but i think he has the projectiles and tools to do that. Plus Shulk takes more damage, so if you land some hits on him, it'll definitely be in your favor.

As for Smash and Buster, you gotta remember with Smash that Shulk has really low shield pressure and is easily punishable here, and that he can get KOed as easily as you if he's at high enough damage (around 70%+). As for Buster, that's typically one of the hardest artes to deal with if you're not a Zoner. He outranges you and has incredible shield pressure here, so you gotta be really careful with how you attack him and how he can punish you. You take more damage from him than you'll deal from him being in Buster, so you definitely want to try spacing him out with your projectiles and the disjoints/range on your sword aswell.

Alright, I want everyone here to be perfectly honest.
How many people in this thread named their Shulk amiibo "Monado Boy"?
I wanted to ask if you guys saw this too but HOLY JEEZ, I NEED TO ORDER THIS NOW. Gonna do it as soon as i get home tonight, seriously hoping it doesn't sell out my the time i get back. Hopefully ill be home in an hour.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Da Soul Calibur tech

I actually didn't know you could just make your own character. Now that I know this, I'm gonna ask you all a question. How many of you are gonna make a Xenoblade character? I might just end up making Fiora myself.
It looks like Sharla is already one of the default facial options for female Cross. Ironic, considering there are no healer classes in this game.

Lozjam

Smash Champion

The eternal question.... Shall we make our Avatars totally hot and cute girls so we may have comfort and eye candy for our eyes throughout the entire game, or shall we make our Avatars total male badasses that look awesome and inspiring(Like in the first Xenoblade X Trailer)...... Hmmmmm..... Decisions....................
Ganondorf is very unsure as to which one to choose.............

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
It looks like Sharla is already one of the default facial options for female Cross. Ironic, considering there are no healer classes in this game.
Tempted to use Default Cross or make him look like Shulk. I'll decide when i get the game.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I'm debating on getting a Shulk amiibo when they're restocked.. not to use ingame, but just to have as a figurine. Do you guys think it's worth it if I'm not going to use it in Smash?

D

Deleted member

I'm debating on getting a Shulk amiibo when they're restocked.. not to use ingame, but just to have as a figurine. Do you guys think it's worth it if I'm not going to use it in Smash?
Even if you don't plan to use Shulk at all, I still recommend it if you want to have it as a figurine for two good reasons:
1. He's going to be very rare. Might as well capitalize on getting him now rather than later, whether you intend to use him or not.
2. This is going to be one of the few moments where Shulk will have official merchandise.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So....It's practically confirmed Lu is a party member now right? Why else would he be in the concept art.

Lol bust size changer. I have no idea why that surprised me. Considering we have jiggle physics and "speed frame" in Xenoblade Chronicles.

With this new info though, I really can't decide between male and female. And it's even harder knowing I will be stuck with it for 100+ hours.

Male is more for identity but girl is for being adorable purposes.

Rping or Cuteness...Tough choices...

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just got my Shulk amiibo yesterday, so glad I made the decision to preorder it. And can I just say that Shulk looks sooooo badass as a figurine? The detail on his shoes, the Monado, and his jacket all look amazing, probably the most detailed Amiibo yet.

Actually training it is really weird though, and my Shulk amiibo was kind of stupid when I first got it and it was doing some odd things. I added the following custom moves on it custom moves on it, and I wonder if they had something to do with the odd training: Decisive Monado Arts, Mighty Ant Slash (now replaced with normal Ant Slash, because it seems to be worse as an OoS options), and Dash Counter.
  • When I start the battle, I always start by switching to Speed mode, and yet it almost never used that Art. Instead, it almost always uses Buster for like 90% of the fight, and it doesn't seem to use to any of the Arts except Jump when it gets sent offstage. It has started using Speed a bit more often as it leveled up today, but at the worst possible times like when its offstage. I'm noticing that it barely uses Smash at all, and I don't recall a single time it ever used Shield.
  • When choosing an Art, it seems reeeeeaally indecisive on which Art to use and takes too long to pick one and keeps cycling like forever until it gets to Buster a second time. Sometimes this even cost it the game and it died so fast already, while offstage it takes too long to pick Jump and he already fell to his death before he could do anything.
  • I've been trying to show it ANT SLASH!! Out of Shield, and it doesn't seem to use that very often, or at least not as much as I want it to. My :4bowser: always knows when to use his UpB OoS, and yet Shulk seems to only sometimes use Ant Slash.
  • Like many of amiibos, I noticed he gets really smash heavy and uses Up Smash way too much.
  • Most of my amiibos don't seem to have the guts to go offstage to edgeguard people, and just sit there waiting to do a smash attack. My Shulk still does that, but he seems gutsy enough to try and meteor smash opponents with Down Air, and I almost never use Dair when I play Shulk (is that bad?)
He was definitely the slowest learner of all my amiibos so far, and it took him to get to like level 38 before he got smarter and started beating me. Shulk's amiibo is awesome, but training it was so slow and unorthodox compared to the other members of my amiibo army.

I also named him after Luke Skywalker from Star Wars with Fiora's palette, since the Monado reminds me of Lightsabers, a lot.

IMO, Shulk's hardest match ups are...

:4ness: (Definitely -2 here >_>)
:4sonic: (-2 for sure)
:4fox: (Like Sheik, between -2 and -1)
:4sheik: (Eh, maybe between -2 and -1)
:4diddy: (-1 imo. Could be -2 but then again, imo -1)

Everyone else is FINE but these characters are definitely trouble for Shulk. Like, not an unwinnable mess or anything but you're going to need to work hard here

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Its weird I don't have a problems with Sheik.

Really contemplating picking up Charizard...but it would probably be by dropping Pit...and I feel I'll need Pit in the long run.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I find it strange people are so attached to saying "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" for no reason...
When I constantly find completely appropriate places to say "I've got a good rhythm going!"

Its weird I don't have a problems with Sheik.

Really contemplating picking up Charizard...but it would probably be by dropping Pit...and I feel I'll need Pit in the long run.
Sheik is one of Shulk's easier top tier match ups but it's probably slightly still at Sheik's favor (Very winnable but Sheik has the slight edge). Idk. I think Diddy's easier than Sheik. It's really Ness that annoys me

Sheik and Diddy are leaning to -1. Fox is between -2 and -1 but IMO, it's closer to -2

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I've yet to see it. By typical convention she should have the advantage, it just hasn't played out that way, and leads me to presume we're not valuing the specific nuances of Shulks kit that try to make up for his start-up.
I don't know any Ness players around me so I can't comment.

I actually was dwindling between even to slight disadvantage. Only reason that convinces me that -2 could be considered is because her start up is insanely fast. I'm still sort of conflicted but I feel like I probably haven't been playing the match up well but I'm not really sure. Maybe I've been too predictable with Shulk. I think what makes this possibly even (not impossible for it to be even imo) is that Sheik's damage output is really really not good at all. You can easily do the damage Sheik does with her combos in one buster f-smash. You can easily compensate for every hit she does on you by landing 2 or 3 hits with buster. Also, being in smash isn't really that much of a fear but the thing is (as a Sheik player), Sheik has several ways to set up for a bouncing fish. THEN AGAIN, it feels like Sheiks are fishing for bouncing fish so it's not like they land it easily all the time

I've been playing Sheik for a while which is probably why I lowered my score for Sheik a bit. Tbh, I'm not really good with Sheik and my opinions radically change over time anyway

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I actually was dwindling between even to slight disadvantage. Only reason that convinces me that -2 could be considered is because her start up is insanely fast. I'm still sort of conflicted but I feel like I probably haven't been playing the match up well but I'm not really sure. Maybe I've been too predictable with Shulk. I think what makes this possibly even (not impossible for it to be even imo) is that Sheik's damage output is really really not good at all. You can easily do the damage Sheik does with her combos in one buster f-smash. You can easily compensate for every hit she does on you by landing 2 or 3 hits with buster. Also, being in smash isn't really that much of a fear but the thing is (as a Sheik player), Sheik has several ways to set up for a bouncing fish. THEN AGAIN, it feels like Sheiks are fishing for bouncing fish so it's not like they land it easily all the time

I've been playing Sheik for a while which is probably why I lowered my score for Sheik a bit. Tbh, I'm not really good with Sheik and my opinions radically change over time anyway
I don't really buster vs Sheik?
I go in speed, and throw her in the air in any direction I don't really care. If she tries to land with Vanish, I can blitz the landing and throw her back. Otherwise I can go for N-air/Fair and aim to outspace her options. This doesn't always work perfectly, but it's the general trend. Im trying to compensate for start-up by giving myself the space to activate my abilities before she is in range to hit me. I could use Buster but I'm trying to keep up with her and I find that hard to do with anything but speed, and Im not an advocate of on-stage jump. Can sometimes cheese it out with Shield but that's also hard to do given then needles can shut you out if you don't nip them in the bud immediately.

Shulks Dash grab is as fast as Falcons...and Speed shulk is in the top 4 fastest characters in the game (until they allow LW paletuna), so I try to exploit the hell out of that. I get the charm of buster, but when I utilize it, it does not go as planned. Im not doing some shield safety war with higher rewards. I'm getting extra dmg/follow ups or not much. I feel like Im always in a good spot with Speed against low cooldown characters like Sheik where your windows to punish are small and with our frames our fastest options are always Grab and Jab, being in speed gives me access to my fastest options from as effective a range as possible.

Last edited:
I don't really buster vs Sheik?
Dammit. Your lame. Learn how to use the Mace Windu purple stance instead of the speed stance

All jokes aside, I go speed/buster against Sheik. Forgot to mention like what you said, Shulk can outspace Sheik.
Don't shield the PK Fire, and congratulations you win.
It all doesn't come down to shielding PK fire though. Ness still has a bunch of options that make it a pain to fight him with Shulk. Jump art is basically free delicious food for Ness and his d-throw>f-air shenanigans if you use it on-stage. I've used speed mostly in this match up and some buster art usage.

There's also his stupid b-throw. You can't just camp in shield because a smart Ness player would actually just wait and time shield art out THEN go for the b-throw. His n-air comes out really fast and deals a good amount of damage (great OoS option). His u-air kills and comes out fairly fast

Eh, like I said. These are just my opinions so I'll try to not suck and git gud

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Maybe im crazy but I almost feel like all the monado versatility of Shulk is a fraud.
Speed is better then *everything* overall. Everything else is niche, for specific situations and/or when Speed is down.
I don't use buster a lot because I can't justify buster the majority of the time, not because it's unusable, but because Speed is up and I feel as of 1.04, Speeds damage drawbacks are nigh negligible for its risk/reward.

I could definitely see people carving out a niche as Dec Buster players as I feel the R/R is more akin to Speed at that point, but otherwise Busters not strong enough to me. Shield safety doesn't mean anything if I grabbed you anyways. Damage racking will happen if I read your landings anyways, and my start-up is less significant when I can start an attack from so much further away and reach you at the same point Buster/Vanilla/Smash would have reached you.

Am I a pessimist?
To me
Default Monado: Speed > Jump > Smash > Shield = Buster.
Dec Monado: Speed > Buster > Smash > Jump > Shield (granted I've barely touched Shield)
Hyper: ??????? maybe its Buster > Speed.

If Im not in Speed and Speed is up, I should be recovering (jump), landing (shield), Finishing (smash). I need more shield stun to justify Buster and I get that in Dec or Hyper.

Last edited:

Disaster-sama

Smash Cadet
NNID
El_huracan
Omg, you're on here too? It's been forever since we've battle, we should do it again sometime! : D

Link can definitely shut down Shield, Jump might be a bit hard, but i think he has the projectiles and tools to do that. Plus Shulk takes more damage, so if you land some hits on him, it'll definitely be in your favor.

As for Smash and Buster, you gotta remember with Smash that Shulk has really low shield pressure and is easily punishable here, and that he can get KOed as easily as you if he's at high enough damage (around 70%+). As for Buster, that's typically one of the hardest artes to deal with if you're not a Zoner. He outranges you and has incredible shield pressure here, so you gotta be really careful with how you attack him and how he can punish you. You take more damage from him than you'll deal from him being in Buster, so you definitely want to try spacing him out with your projectiles and the disjoints/range on your sword aswell.
I'll try to be more regular in here and in the weeklys tournaments for now on. It's been forever since I logged in smashboards.
Noted, i'll try to take advantage over Smash that way from now on. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Maybe im crazy but I almost feel like all the monado versatility of Shulk is a fraud.
Speed is better then *everything* overall. Everything else is niche, for specific situations and/or when Speed is down.
I don't use buster a lot because I can't justify buster the majority of the time, not because it's unusable, but because Speed is up and I feel as of 1.04, Speeds damage drawbacks are nigh negligible for its risk/reward.

I could definitely see people carving out a niche as Dec Buster players as I feel the R/R is more akin to Speed at that point, but otherwise Busters not strong enough to me. Shield safety doesn't mean anything if I grabbed you anyways. Damage racking will happen if I read your landings anyways, and my start-up is less significant when I can start an attack from so much further away and reach you at the same point Buster/Vanilla/Smash would have reached you.
Basically, it's all in the numbers. Using buster correctly is definitely quite difficult but the damage you get out from buster is fantastic (Which is why a guide for buster was important). It all comes down to, "It deals a ****load of damage." There's a risk to using it but there's also a reward, and that pretty much is reason enough to make you think about using it (You can easily rack up damage with buster REALLY fast). Some people are willing to take the risk. Some people prefer to play it safe and go with the method that requires less risk (in this case, speed's risk:reward is pretty imbalanced, in a sense that there isn't much of a risk at all to get "a lot" from speed)

I just want to clarify that I get what you're saying about speed art being vastly superior or better than every art. I'll also admit, for all the modifications Shulk gets per art, he's still a spacing character by heart and core, unless he's in smash art. There are actually ways on how to be crafty with meshing arts together. Speed and buster can have good synergy imo like how jump and shield have good synergy also

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I don't really feel about Risk. It's just I'll pop buster because I don't have Speed available, or right after I get them ~40% and im fishing to put them to 80% off a string, then I get out of Buster.
The window at which I use it is small.

Top Bottom