• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Reverse n-air to (immediate) b-air works on Mario at 86% in jump

Also, title change

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Videos on my 4v4 tourney went up. Thought I'd share them with you guys, whether you like it or not :p
I'm "CLB" on the team MeVillage2Fast (Name coming from Mii Gunner, Villager, Sonic - we would have worked a Shulk pun in there but I arrived after they registered). I also don't have a real gamertag to go by.

General event rules: 2 stock, 5 minutes. Double elimination. Big Battlefield starter, 7 other counterpicks. Loser chooses stage after first match. To avoid dumb strategies saturating the comp, the team that lost is allowed to ban one character (from both sides) for the duration of the next match; the winning team then bans two, and the losing team one more for a total of four characters banned per match.

MeVillage2Fast
Mic - :4miigun::4wiifit:
FM - :4gaw::4ness::4villager::4sonic:
BAMFUDGE - :4samus::4yoshi:
CLB (Myself) - :4shulk::4palutena:

West Coast Weedles
8BIT - :4gaw::4drmario:
TROLL - :4link::4tlink::4marth:
THRAS - :4falcon::4mario:
HOSHIKAGE - :4lucario::4kirby::4rob:

4Jons
CORPS - :4shulk:
eltoN - :4luigi:
Elle - :4megaman::4zss:
Jon - :4diddy:
(All video but the Winners Finals skip the character selection time.)
Winners Final - MeVillage2Fast vs. West Coast Weedles.
Match 1 - Poor Kirby's SD at 2:13. Tfw I get Share Stocked down to 1 Stock, 192% and then that teammate kills me.

Worth it though, amazing showdown at the end. Well done to Link.
Match 2 - 10:48: 2v1 we've got this... NO SAMUS, WHAT ARE YOU DOING MAN?! NOOO, STAHP!
Match 3 - Windy Hill Zone, City Escape, Sonic – it may be the finals, but every taunt was necessary. My Shulk gets a bit of his edgeguarding on. Towards the end we didn’t want to all rush in, so we didn’t do more harm than good. We also had some accidental mindgames because Sonic himself was blue, but not on Blue Team.
Match 4 - They banned Shulk instead of Mii Gunner, so I went with Palutena and "Good Samus" finally got to see some action on the field.

Losers Final - 4Jons vs. West Coast Weedles.
I wanted West Coast Weedles to win because I knew we could beat them. That, and 4Jons contained two players I was worried about facing.

Match 1 - Mega Man gets some good play. "eltoN" is one of the best Smash players I've ever faced; his Villager is crazy. I assume WCW kept banning him, but his Luigi is still beautiful to watch.
Match 2 - Marth does well for himself in my opinion.
Match 3 - WCW is too good at the lower section on Temple.
Match 4 - If you're going to watch any part of any of these videos, watch this from 16:09. Everyone was laughing and shaking their heads at the way Kirby ends the match.

Because of double-elimination, MeVillage2Fast needs one BO5 win against WCW, WCW needs two BO5 wins.

Grand Final (1) MeVillage2Fast vs. West Coast Weedles
Here on, WCW continually banned Ness and Mii Gunner.

Match 1 - By now I knew THRAS' Falcon was a threat (at least, to Shulk) so I spent half the match in fear of uair juggles.
Match 2 - "We haven’t lost on Windy Hill Zone yet, let’s go here." Yellow ROB mindgames. We decided not to ban Link, not sure how wise that was in hindsight.
Match 3 - Green G&W and Green Samus mindgames. I think everyone put in a valiant effort towards the end.

Grand Final (2) MeVillage2Fast vs. West Coast Weedles
Wow we got rekt, we'd beaten these guys just half an hour earlier! Better make a comeback.

Match 1 - Near the start of the match, I thought "Let's hope my few matches against @Wintropy's ROB pays off". I reckon it kind of did. Many thanks :)
Match 2 - We were hesistant about not banning Lucario when we went to Temple, but we did our best to keep him at bay and out of that cave.
Match 3 - I reach 90% in 15 seconds. Buster, pls. 8P Smash Battlefield, pls.
4v4 is a lot more fun than it sounds.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I like the new title.

"To activate or not to activate Jump for on stage purposes,
that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer,
The needles and grenades of a thousand Sheik mains,
Or to take Monado against a sea of troubles,
And by jumping, avoid them? To Jump, to Smash
No more, and by a Jump to say we end,
The Monado and the thousand natural shocks
That Shulk is heir to? 'Tis a consummation,
Devoutly to be wished. To Jump, to Buster,
To Smash, perchance to KO; Aye, there's the rub."

Last edited:
I decided to hit training to give hyper arts a shot

Hyper buster is still really good. When you think about it, if you're smart and if you aren't careless with hyper smash, your KO range is generally around ~100% but your opponent's KO range is usually at ~60% because hyper smash so any extra damage taken with buster and jump can be just slightly shrugged off. It's not really that hard to rack up that little damage with 6 seconds of hyper buster

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
My friends got smarter last week. Whenever I switch to shield, they figured that since they can't kill me easily, they would rather just wait around until shield wears off, running and jumping to the other side of the stage to avoid me. Any options for getting to them when I'm as slow as a turtle?

My friends got smarter last week. Whenever I switch to shield, they figured that since they can't kill me easily, they would rather just wait around until shield wears off, running and jumping to the other side of the stage to avoid me. Any options for getting to them when I'm as slow as a turtle?
If you're at a deficit, just switch out from shield and focus on regaining the lead/momentum by going on buster (or any art that would help)

If you're at the lead, do what you want. Switch out or stay in the art

Edit:
Update at the thread directory

I added Jerm's guide and the Mechanical Rhythm thread (Switching arts)

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You can always trying preforming a fake out with Shield. Activate Shield, then deactivate it quickly and switch to Jump or Speed to trip up the opponent.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anyone know how to go up against a Robin player? It's VERY hard to use a aerial them most of the time since they mostly shield.
Well in that scenario for generally any character, it's better to swat the opponent from a safe distance so that even if it is blocked you won't get grabbed or in some cases attacked. Shulk's aerial attacks have long range so it's a safe tactic to use. Back aerial in particular can poke the opponent from far away, while neutral aerial has no landing lag so it's safe in any situation. The important thing to remember is that going #YOLO is not always the solution and you can't be predictable.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I have come here to say that Shulk is tasty. He tastes like strawberry cake with a side of vanilla ice cream.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I have come here to say that Shulk is tasty. He tastes like strawberry cake with a side of vanilla ice cream.
O_O you tasted him!? EWW gross, I like Shulk but what ever floats your boat I guest.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Finished listening to Xenoblade the Musical. Turned out really really well, and I agree that the soundtrack is among the very best soundtracks I have had the pleasure of listening to. The music actually fits my story quite well (even though the final boss music comes before Shulk even gets his sword). My one complaint about the musical is that Riki shows up too late in the plot, so you don't form a connection strong enough to properly trigger serious feels.
I think I'll have Riki show up at Colony 6, but that leaves a hole between Memories and setting out to fight the one who eventually kills Riki.

Edit: Also, having 2 prologues is kind of weird. I'm trying to think of a place for intermission so that I can split them up.

And for those who don't know what the hell I'm talking about... Page 69.

As for actually playing Shulk... (Day 3)
I've been making a living off of throw follows... and it's coming back to hurt me. I feel like Diddy Kong sometimes. Dthrow>Fair in speed is nice and a good way to chain them off stage to prep for hyper buster/jump/smash, and at kill %'s jump uthrow>Uair is an amazing 50-50 kill combo. Throws are just such a good way to establish position, which is what I want to do to get into my buster/jump/shield/smash game. Hyper arts are great, but because I want to play the positional game even more than in normal arts, my reliance on grabs is magnified. Gotta work on spacing a little bit more because being grab reliant is bad. Dash>shield beats spacing, but loses to grab. Similarly, jab/attacking beats grab but loses to spacing. So, back to vanilla Shulk to work on the basics.

Reserved has been playing with Monado Kirby and the things Kirby can do with the arts... I witnessed a 0-90 buster string on an Ike. @ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011 can attest to that. Smash gives Kirby a kill throw, Speed helps him get in, jump makes him... well, you can imagine.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Weird, when I ate Shulk he tasted more like egg benedict served with warm biscuits and caviar from the rare beluga sturgeon and a oolong tea.

At least it's better then eating Bowser. Inedible, tastes like chicken.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Now we know why Kirby will eat humanoid figures in Smash. They're all just fighting pieces of food.
Weird, when I ate Shulk he tasted more like egg benedict served with warm biscuits and caviar from the rare beluga sturgeon and a oolong tea.

At least it's better then eating Bowser. Inedible, tastes like chicken.
I got a little bit of a minty fudge piece with whipped cream. "The Shulk's appearance is merely an illusion. His flavor morphed to conform to the tastes of his master."

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Finished listening to Xenoblade the Musical. Turned out really really well, and I agree that the soundtrack is among the very best soundtracks I have had the pleasure of listening to. The music actually fits my story quite well (even though the final boss music comes before Shulk even gets his sword). My one complaint about the musical is that Riki shows up too late in the plot, so you don't form a connection strong enough to properly trigger serious feels.
I think I'll have Riki show up at Colony 6, but that leaves a hole between Memories and setting out to fight the one who eventually kills Riki.

Edit: Also, having 2 prologues is kind of weird. I'm trying to think of a place for intermission so that I can split them up.

And for those who don't know what the hell I'm talking about... Page 69.

As for actually playing Shulk... (Day 3)
I've been making a living off of throw follows... and it's coming back to hurt me. I feel like Diddy Kong sometimes. Dthrow>Fair in speed is nice and a good way to chain them off stage to prep for hyper buster/jump/smash, and at kill %'s jump uthrow>Uair is an amazing 50-50 kill combo. Throws are just such a good way to establish position, which is what I want to do to get into my buster/jump/shield/smash game. Hyper arts are great, but because I want to play the positional game even more than in normal arts, my reliance on grabs is magnified. Gotta work on spacing a little bit more because being grab reliant is bad. Dash>shield beats spacing, but loses to grab. Similarly, jab/attacking beats grab but loses to spacing. So, back to vanilla Shulk to work on the basics.

Reserved has been playing with Monado Kirby and the things Kirby can do with the arts... I witnessed a 0-90 buster string on an Ike. @ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011 can attest to that. Smash gives Kirby a kill throw, Speed helps him get in, jump makes him... well, you can imagine.
Yeah...I got wrecked so bad by Monado Kirby, not used to fighting him with someone that isn't Shulk. Not to mention he has some arguably better approach options than Shulk... He can even do a turn around dash into D-smash without the ledge. @_@ Speed and Jump make him incredibly hard to get at, and Buster with those u-tilts...Dang. Shulk/Kirby doubles are gonna be as broken as Lucario/Ness doubles.

I bet he is Reserved. #MonadoKirbyfortoptier

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I just realized something. At the end of the Shulk trailer, Metal Face crashes the party, and Shulk pulls the Monado out on him. The only problem is that Shulk can't hurt Metal Face. He knows the Monado doesn't work, does he expect to topple lock him? He has no topple artes at that point in the game, no party members to help, what does he expect to accomplish?

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I just realized something. At the end of the Shulk trailer, Metal Face crashes the party, and Shulk pulls the Monado out on him. The only problem is that Shulk can't hurt Metal Face. He knows the Monado doesn't work, does he expect to topple lock him? He has no topple artes at that point in the game, no party members to help, what does he expect to accomplish?
Shhh.

The people who didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles don't know that. You'll only confuse them.

Oh and he does have partners. Riki and Dunban get called in for a chain attack during his final smash.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
When I uploaded that Xenoblade Top Ten Suicides video I also talked about a glitch I had found. Idk if any of you remember that, but I finally uploaded that glitch.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sakurai could have went with Monado II logic despite the design being Monado I.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I headcanon the Smash Monado as a replica of the Monado I but not the actual sword. Explains Jump and Smash, anyway.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
The reason Shulk isn't able to use Monado Purge in Smash is because the Aura Seal effect would be too good against Lucario :smirk:

Edit so no double-post:
To those in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, you need to register both versions of Sm4sh tonight if you want the CD. Got until 23:59AEST (Aus, NZ) and 22:59 UK time (Europe).

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
The reason Shulk isn't able to use Monado Purge in Smash is because the Aura Seal effect would be too good against Lucario :smirk:

Edit so no double-post:
To those in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, you need to register both versions of Sm4sh tonight if you want the CD. Got until 23:59AEST (Aus, NZ) and 22:59 UK time (Europe).
I already did, still waiting for nintendo to transfere my account from UK to AUT.
A friend already did this, but I'm worried since Nintendo hasn't answered yet.

Last edited:
Even then, the comic didn't really explain that much about it

I didn't pay attention to the discussion though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Monado bends to his will. He trusts the power of the Monado that it will defeat Metal Face and thus give it that power that it was unable to have.
...I actually dunno. Fighting Metal Face is a questionable idea, Shulk. Well, at least it works in this game.

I headcanon the Smash Monado as a replica of the Monado I but not the actual sword. Explains Jump and Smash, anyway.
Master Hand is a pretty generous host if that's the case.

How does Kirby use the Monado anyway?
You might not know this, but Kirby is a descendant of Shulk. That explains why he can use his own version of the Monado without any problems.
The ending of Xenoblade with the Bionis falling and all? Yeah, that is the beginning of Dream Land. The Mechonis is actually the base for Meta Knight's Halberd.

I'm gonna be fishing for a Kirby partner in my scene.

Also, no one uses ROB.... Like, no one at all

Top Bottom