• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
@ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011

"Despite his rank in the roster?"

Bruh. Please eggsplain (Kinda vague on the definition so whatever I'll say will depend on what you mean by rank. My bad for the semantics) :4yoshi:
Ok well, i mean, i don't mean to make Shulk sound underrated and all, but i mean, as good as he is, he's far from anywhere close to the "S tier" characters as you described them. When i said rank, i basically meant his listing as high/low mid tier.

XD
Oh, it is. Outside of Speed. However, in Speed Shulk is awesome.
Because he's blue like Mega Man :awesome:
Ok well, i mean, i don't mean to make Shulk sound underrated and all, but i mean, as good as he is, he's far from anywhere close to the "S tier" characters as you described them. When i said rank, i basically meant his listing as high/low mid tier.
Oh. That. Okay, you're cool~

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Been telling you all Speed Shulk was ******** after I got over my hype on Shield shulk :o.
Now they believe.
Has everyone fallen out of love with On-stage Jump yet and regulated it to off-stage?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Been telling you all Speed Shulk was ******** after I got over my hype on Shield shulk :o.
Now they believe.
Has everyone fallen out of love with On-stage Jump yet and regulated it to off-stage?
Yeah, but I'm also a fan of non-decisive arts. Use Speed to get a positional advantage, then use your other arts.

They'll soon learn when they get hit and Need jump but Jump is on cooldown -_-.

I like Shield Shulk, but I can't Shield shulk without Jump to secure my recovery. It's a synergestic thing, unless im confident I can get back in Speed/Vanilla.
:3

I'm all about taking risks man. Air slash off-stage/Farore's wind off-stage/Flare Blitz off-stage?

Sure. Why not~

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Yeah, but I'm also a fan of non-decisive arts. Use Speed to get a positional advantage, then use your other arts.
Decisive arts might as well be called Decisive Speed arts.
...Until someone gets indepth with Decisive Buster & the rest of them. Which given how much we're exploring with just basic arts...might not be till 2016 lol.

Last edited:
I can already tell a lot of people got the hang of/mastered Monado speed

Now if only someone mastered buster.....

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Decisive arts might as well be called Decisive Speed arts.
...Until someone gets indepth with Decisive Buster & the rest of them. Which given how much we're exploring with just basic arts...might not be till 2016 lol.
So much truth to this. Decisive everything else is just ehh...

Hyper Speed is downright disgusting though. Then once you no longer need the mobility, you switch to whatever you want.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I can already tell a lot of people got the hang of/mastered Monado speed

Now if only someone mastered buster.....
You master Buster then you have to Master shield.... which is what? A bunch of roll-cancelled Grabs, and knowing when Combo's Start/break due to Shield? What moves you can punish on shield only in Shield? I leave that to you.

#lazy

Being Dec Speed isn't bad though. Dec speed is disgusting.
Only that going between Dec speed and Regular speed feels....nauseating?

Last edited:
Hmmm~~~

Two users have double posted. I wonder if I should merge them or keep them because (period).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well considering I have a fetish for gimping people (aka "GET THE **** OFF THE STAGE!!") since the beginning, I didn't really fall in love with Jump on the stage until later. I prefer using Speed while on the stage though, because gotta go fast.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Minus the super campy/safe playstyle that slows everything to a crawl anyway.
You mean everyone wants to be Mega Man?

Seriously, I've played 2 very competitive Mega Man dittos. All went over 7 minutes with a risk of timing out. We're not even trying to time out.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Minus the super campy/safe playstyle that slows everything to a crawl anyway.
I don't know how he gets away with that.
Falcon,Mac, Speed Shulk, and Fox are all fast to the point (while still being slower) that we could do the exact same thing. to 70% of the cast.
I think its a mental thing in the people who play Sonic. Like he lures in a certain type of mentality.

Sonic doesn't need to be campy at all, he doesn't have projectiles he just moves like one...but then so do the characters I mentioned above. Plus he has good normals.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I don't know how he gets away with that.
Falcon,Mac, Speed Shulk, and Fox are all fast to the point (while still being slower) that we could do the exact same thing. to 70% of the cast.
I think its a mental thing in the people who play Sonic. Like he lures in a certain type of mentality.

Sonic doesn't need to be campy at all, he doesn't have projectiles he just moves like one...but then so do the characters I mentioned above. Plus he has good normals.
I meant the kind of people that use Sonic and spam:

Spin Dash > Jump in SD and do an aerial > Do Spring Jump to escape to other side of stage > Repeat. : \

Plus, all in all, you gotta play a safe game against Sonic with characters who dont have that kind of speed to match him, or just in general. : \

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I meant the kind of people that use Sonic and spam:

Spin Dash > Jump in SD and do an aerial > Do Spring Jump to escape to other side of stage > Repeat. : \

Plus, all in all, you gotta play a safe game against Sonic with characters who dont have that kind of speed to match him, or just in general. : \
I dont think you need the speed to match him. You just need a sufficient move.

You don't outspeed Sonic

The best thing you need to do is to wait. Walk. Relax. Condition yourself. Possibly get bored while doing it but that's how it's done

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
We outspeed him when it comes to walking in Speed though.

I find that patient approach fruitless. If your sitting their waiting because you can't react, then you can't react and whatever he does to you is gonna **** you up unless you guess and he runs into your shield.
Likewise if he's just spin charging while you wait it's two people wasting ridiculous amounts of time for nothing.

If the whole deal for them camping is that I'm "too fast for them to react" im going to attack. It's exactly why Im in Speed on Shulk in the first place. So that I can *Catch* attacks during their recovery and initiate well. If I go in speed and run to the other wise of the map... I could've done that without speed lol.

It's legit some kind of mental thing I don't believe in.

Last edited:
Going to steal that tactic since I want to have quicker Sonic matches (Instead of getting near Time Outs). Thanks :D

That speed>buster trick is doing stuff for me against zoners @ Locke 06 Locke 06

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
In any case, Chrono. Yes, I have officially fallen for Shulk. I'm going to give him a 2 week trial to see how much I end up enjoying him. But right now it feels like he could very easily surpass Marth and Samus in terms of play time and challenge DK as my secondary. Although Samus customs are fun too.

Hyper arts' decreased activation time really helps what I want to do as well in switching arts a ton based on positional play. Still getting a feel for Shulk and I generally have a trouble switching between characters due to Mega Man being so damn awkward. Things like not having a DAir that your opponents have to somewhat respect or an up-B that can sweetspot the ledge easily is pretty annoying.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
While Locke uses Shulk, I picked up Zelda for reasons I honestly do not understand
Spirst did the same thing. It has to do with the craziness that goes on in that social.

Social threads recruit players. It's a thing. While I had been thinking about playing Shulk for some time, page 69 pushed me over the edge.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
In any case, Chrono. Yes, I have officially fallen for Shulk. I'm going to give him a 2 week trial to see how much I end up enjoying him. But right now it feels like he could very easily surpass Marth and Samus in terms of play time and challenge DK as my secondary. Although Samus customs are fun too.

Hyper arts' decreased activation time really helps what I want to do as well in switching arts a ton based on positional play. Still getting a feel for Shulk and I generally have a trouble switching between characters due to Mega Man being so damn awkward. Things like not having a DAir that your opponents have to somewhat respect or an up-B that can sweetspot the ledge easily is pretty annoying.
Aha, so the Monado's power has finally lured you into it's trap aswell. I knew it was only a matter of time. > : 3

Well, that's what happens when you use characters who are relatively feared with some of their attacks and can ledge-snap with their recoveries and go to someone like Shulk. He doesn't have those luxuries, and he has a high learning curve on top of that. It's learning to take advantage of those aspects that is what you need in order to master him. He's basically like playing 6 characters in one (if you count vanilla Shulk), none of which you seem to be used to playing Locke. It took me about a month after i picked him up to truly start mastering him, but it'll come to you in time.

While Locke uses Shulk, I picked up Zelda for reasons I honestly do not understand
Meanwhile, im trying to go back to avidly using Robin. I need to get good at my one projectile/ranged character that isn't Ness or Lucario.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
That speed>buster trick is doing stuff for me against zoners @ Locke 06 Locke 06
I'm scared to say this, but I wrecked a Mega Man last night with Shulk. There were a couple moments where I definitely should've gotten punished for some unsafe things, but after cornering Mega Man, I felt in complete control.

Well, that's what happens when you use characters who are relatively feared with some of their attacks and can ledge-snap with their recoveries and go to someone like Shulk. He doesn't have those luxuries, and he has a high learning curve on top of that. It's learning to take advantage of those aspects that is what you need in order to master him. He's basically like playing 6 characters in one (if you count vanilla Shulk), none of which you seem to be used to playing Locke. It took me about a month after i picked him up to truly start mastering him, but it'll come to you in time.
Yes, but it's also me wanting to ledge drop DAir meteor with Sheik and then SD'ing.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
R.O.B. matchup -> go to Buster and get 3x damage :D

I wish they did that. Buster does extra damage on R.O.B, Samus and Megaman for epic counterpicking XD

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You picked up Zelda because you're secretly masochistic.

Speaking of which, lately I've been moving away from Greninja for R.O.B. for no particular reason. I just like robots.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Soul Blazer said:
Okay I'm straight but I found that rather adorable.

But I was thinking more along the lines of this swimsuit Shulk:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
What is Luigi doing there...? And I love Lucina's face. XD Missing some ladies though. Although I can't see Samus being a fangirl.

Top Bottom