• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

So...

I was against some Wario so I had 0 idea how this went (or 0.5). He was near the edge which means obvious bait to d-smash. I d-smashed with buster activated then he shielded it, got his shield broken, fell into the abyss

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So...

I was against some Wario so I had 0 idea how this went (or 0.5). He was near the edge which means obvious bait to d-smash. I d-smashed with buster activated then he shielded it, got his shield broken, fell into the abyss
Lol, i love when you get a Shield Break with Buster activated. It's so...satisfying. Just as satisfying as landing a Shield Breaker move or Bowser Bomb an on opponent and breaking their shield aswell.

I love it when players are cornered at the edge. It's like you're just waiting for them to do something only to whack them with d-smash

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Anyone ever attended a 4v4 tournament? Any advice? There's a tournament happening in my area, I wasn't going to bother attending, but a random guy is advertising a spare spot... may take him up on the offer.

Actually even doubles advice would help. I haven't played anything with Team Attack off since I tried it once in Smash 64 and didn't like it.

I think Shulk is bad at doubles but maybe it's because I suck at doubles (I do actually)

Make sure you have plans with your team. Don't come in thinking that you can wing it

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I think Shulk is bad at doubles but maybe it's because I suck at doubles (I do actually)

Make sure you have plans with your team. Don't come in thinking that you can wing it
I've never met these guys before and the event's tomorrow. This can only go well. (I'm expecting more to have a laugh than to do well.)

I did try some 4v4 Team Attack Off matches last week with Lv.9s, oh the chaos, the team attack, the humanity! Hopefully human players won't get into some huge bunched comical dust cloud in the middle of the arena like the Lv.9's did. I think Shulk may be difficult because you've really got to be on top of your spacing to avoid hitting teammates.

There are also character strikes (eww), so I guess on backup I can go to Palutena and dthrow combo everyone, or go Falco who I think I now suck at in Smash 4.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I've never met these guys before and the event's tomorrow. This can only go well. (I'm expecting more to have a laugh than to do well.)

I did try some 4v4 Team Attack Off matches last week with Lv.9s, oh the chaos, the team attack, the humanity! Hopefully human players won't get into some huge bunched comical dust cloud in the middle of the arena like the Lv.9's did. I think Shulk may be difficult because you've really got to be on top of your spacing to avoid hitting teammates.

There are also character strikes (eww), so I guess on backup I can go to Palutena and dthrow combo everyone, or go Falco who I think I now suck at in Smash 4.
Sounds interesting... what stages are being allowed?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Sounds interesting... what stages are being allowed?
Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Omegas, Mario Galaxy, Bridge of Eldin, Temple, Castle Siege, Windy Hill Zone.

These guys haven't got back to me yet, so... guess I'll have to see whether I attend or not, lol.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
If all else fails, you can just hang back and be the stock tank for your team with Shield.
Is stock tanking a valid strategy? I'd think it'd just mean you become the last one left and have to fend them all off. I guess you could sort-of play the distraction, which could work. The match time limit isn't too long though (5 mins), so that keeps it away from being a long-term strategy.
Whilst I've been writing this out - I don't think I'll be able to enter, I've got evening plans and would have to leave early. I may attend for the start, anyway.
----
Separate note, I've been playing Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I'm running through the first witch trial and the text boxes break in and out of voice acted and not. They spoke a bit early on, but towards the end of the trial, one of the women on the stand lets out this whiny, wheezy laugh/giggle.
"Hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah..."
(That sounds like Fiora's weird laugh.)
"[something to the effect of "If I'm a witch, then how come you're the only person in the court that thinks so?"]"
(Fiora?!)
"Why, of course. That's because everyone knows the truth."
(FIIIOOOOORRRRRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!)

Checked - yep, voiced by Carina Reeves.
Let's ramble on, and on, and on!

(And, I can't resist: PLAYTAHM'S OVUH :wolf:)

Edit:
REALLY good concert btw
Oh my god. I'm so jealous when I see these kinds of huge concerts around the world. Orchestral music and gaming - these would be my people.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I don't notice that much of a difference either. Probably some in the graphics but that might be all placebo. Anyway, seems to run well and that's all what matters

Too bad I'm still unsure on buying a *New* 3DS
Well Imo Smash 3DS will most likely benefit even more of the New Model due the C-stick :)

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Any KOS-MOS / Xenosaga fans around here? If so, then you should totally check this out. . . I have no clue how or what this game is going to be like, but KOS-MOS basically being confirmed is exciting.

Also, I was able to be one of the 'chosen few' to grab a copy of the limited edition Majora's Mask 3DS, and coincidentally, MM3D is releasing on February 13th (Friday the 13th this year, and much more importantly, my birthday!). . . Being my personal favorite game, it is a perfect gift to look forward to. Now with that, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D releasing in April (which is looking like a smooth port, might I add), I feel plenty satisfied in my purchase of the system (considering I never upgraded to the XL to begin with).

On the Wii U side of this, namely XCX, the new environments trailer was breathtaking, as was the score we heard in the trailer. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the environments not revealed, as well as hearing their individual scores when reaching them. The game is set to release April 29th in Japan. . . I'm going to try my best to not really look at too much of it come then, because I'm not fond of spoiling games akin to this (although I'm probably going to listen to the OST on repeat, ha). Hopefully the states / elsewhere can be looking at a release sometime between August and October (realistically speaking). I feel Starfox may release before it for some reason, making XCX roughly second to Zelda Wii U.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
REALLY good concert btw
Bravely Default music is probably the strongest reason why I want the game over Xenoblade. It is just... perfect. I've listened to the soundtrack at least 10 times now and it's still great. From an academic music perspective, it does so many things right that you could probably write a paper on it. It's right up there with Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus Uprising in best video game soundtracks. Those 3 handle thematic material in a way that is unparalleled in games. Making the Ballad of the Goddess be Zelda's Lullaby backwards is just insane along with the variations on certain things like Groose's theme, and Uprising's atonal chaos to contrast with things like Dark Pit & Palutena's themes are just... mmmm... And how Bravely Default can transition so cleanly into the game's various themes is simply amazing (even though I think it's somewhat because of its simplistic chord structure).

In other news, I'm listening to the Xenoblade soundtrack as a comparison... is it bad that I don't remember a single song except Gaur Plains because of Smash? (I'm like... 2 hours in out of 3.5) It's nice, but I haven't found it nearly as memorable as the 3 listed above.

Music. @_@

Bravely Default music is probably the strongest reason why I want the game over Xenoblade. It is just... perfect. I've listened to the soundtrack at least 10 times now and it's still great. From an academic music perspective, it does so many things right that you could probably write a paper on it. It's right up there with Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus Uprising in best video game soundtracks. Those 3 handle thematic material in a way that is unparalleled in games. Making the Ballad of the Goddess be Zelda's Lullaby backwards is just insane along with the variations on certain things like Groose's theme, and Uprising's atonal chaos to contrast with things like Dark Pit & Palutena's themes are just... mmmm... And how Bravely Default can transition so cleanly into the game's various themes is simply amazing (even though I think it's somewhat because of its simplistic chord structure).

In other news, I'm listening to the Xenoblade soundtrack as a comparison... is it bad that I don't remember a single song except Gaur Plains because of Smash? (I'm like... 2 hours in out of 3.5) It's nice, but I haven't found it nearly as memorable as the 3 listed above.

Music. @_@
Yooo.... So much god-tier music in Xenoblade. You Will Know Our Names, Engage the Enemy, Mechanical Rhythm.

But yeah, Bravely Default's OST was the reason why I bought the game. I listened to That Person's Name Is and I was like, "Damn, that's one of the best boss themes I've heard in my life."

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
But yeah, Bravely Default's OST was the reason why I bought the game. I listened to That Person's Name Is and I was like, "Damn, that's one of the best boss themes I've heard in my life."
But actually. It is so good. For those of you who haven't listened to it...

I think you've made my decision for me. I think I've listened to the music too much without knowing the context behind it. I'll get Xenoblade Chronicles eventually, but I need Bravely Default. Because music.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
...Is it bad that I just listened to That Person's Name Is out of curiosity and didn't think it was all that good?

It's just... kind of bland. Maybe it's because I don't really have any personal connection with Bravely Default, but I didn't really think that was all that you guys are hyping it up to be.

:/

Please don't kill me

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Any KOS-MOS / Xenosaga fans around here? If so, then you should totally check this out. . . I have no clue how or what this game is going to be like, but KOS-MOS basically being confirmed is exciting.
If this is true, then Namco is certainly enjoying their wacky crossovers lately.

It started with Street Fighter X Tekken, then there's the massive yet barely played three company crossover
known as Project X Zone (I'm a proud owner, here. So many Playstation exclusive franchises... on a Nintendo exclusive),
new info about Pokken Tournament is coming next week (Pokemon X Tekken, though no signs of actual Tekken characters),
and now this, apparently (assuming anyone can identify the other three characters).

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
...Is it bad that I just listened to That Person's Name Is out of curiosity and didn't think it was all that good?

It's just... kind of bland. Maybe it's because I don't really have any personal connection with Bravely Default, but I didn't really think that was all that you guys are hyping it up to be.

Please don't kill me
lol I'd advise you to listen to the soundtrack in its entirety. The main theme in That Person's Name is a recurring theme in the game, which is partially why it's so great when it come up. But also the violin solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ - is the final boss theme. Has a slight ff7 feel and then it transitions to a more Bravely Default section in 2:57 and brings out the feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Jdz_D9pX0 - and then the ending credits song, which is so pretty. Especially after listening to the entire soundtrack where the theme isn't vocalized until the end.

Edit: Oh god. The ending credits song. SO GOOD. But you probably need some context for why it's so good...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W32h-3EHCg is the full OST (watch at work or something to experience it in its entirety)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Also, I was able to be one of the 'chosen few' to grab a copy of the limited edition Majora's Mask 3DS, and coincidentally, MM3D is releasing on February 13th (Friday the 13th this year, and much more importantly, my birthday!). . . Being my personal favorite game, it is a perfect gift to look forward to. Now with that, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D releasing in April (which is looking like a smooth port, might I add), I feel plenty satisfied in my purchase of the system (considering I never upgraded to the XL to begin with).

On the Wii U side of this, namely XCX, the new environments trailer was breathtaking, as was the score we heard in the trailer. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the environments not revealed, as well as hearing their individual scores when reaching them. The game is set to release April 29th in Japan. . . I'm going to try my best to not really look at too much of it come then, because I'm not fond of spoiling games akin to this (although I'm probably going to listen to the OST on repeat, ha). Hopefully the states / elsewhere can be looking at a release sometime between August and October (realistically speaking). I feel Starfox may release before it for some reason, making XCX roughly second to Zelda Wii U.
It would be amazing if Project treasure included some Nintendo cross over content as well. It seems like it might be a mostly storyless multiplayer online game, so I don't see why not.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
REALLY good concert btw
God, I always get goosepumbs on 14:26 to 15:26.

Please don't kill me
I like it, I listened to it before the game even came out in europe, but I have to admit it isn't the best music they have got in their game.
Love's vagrant will be forever my alarm clock theme. It's nice to wake up to this song, fills you with motivation to do something!

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Listening to this much Bravely Default makes me want to play the game again. x_x I still haven't done New Game +, so there's a good reason. But I can't, because I'm only just finishing up Hyrule Warriors's first adventure map (well, weapon wise, I don't even want to think about Hearts/Skulltulas), and I have all of the DLC to go through as well.

D

Deleted member

But actually. It is so good. For those of you who haven't listened to it...

I think you've made my decision for me. I think I've listened to the music too much without knowing the context behind it. I'll get Xenoblade Chronicles eventually, but I need Bravely Default. Because music.
...Is it possible for Nintendo to get the rights to this song? It would be cool if it was a DLC song... I wouldn't mind it if it played in Gaur Plain.

It would be amazing if Project treasure included some Nintendo cross over content as well. It seems like it might be a mostly storyless multiplayer online game, so I don't see why not.
Who knows? Maybe it could have amiibo functionality. I think having some Xenoblade content would peak my interest... (I mean, Namco used to own Monolith, so why not?)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
...Is it possible for Nintendo to get the rights to this song? It would be cool if it was a DLC song... I wouldn't mind it if it played in Gaur Plain.
Square Enix is the key.

Really, a Bravely Default stage with its own music would be magnificent. It would really shine on the 3DS with its pop-up watercolor style and also in Wii U in HD. Put all the character themes in, along with the battle/boss songs, and maybe 1 epic medley.

If stage DLC becomes a thing, a Bravely Default stage would be great to promote Bravely Second.

@ LordTakeo LordTakeo - The vocalized version is so fun. But for a wake up song, I'm more inclined to something like Beneath the Hollow Moon. Quiet, serene, beautiful, and thoughtful.
What a duet. (poor guitar & percussionist just adds background)

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
If this is true, then Namco is certainly enjoying their wacky crossovers lately.

It started with Street Fighter X Tekken, then there's the massive yet barely played three company crossover
known as Project X Zone (I'm a proud owner, here. So many Playstation exclusive franchises... on a Nintendo exclusive),
new info about Pokken Tournament is coming next week (Pokemon X Tekken, though no signs of actual Tekken characters),
and now this, apparently (assuming anyone can identify the other three characters).
I have Project X Zone, such a fun game.
It actually introduced me to a bunch of franchises that I probably wouldn't have discovered myself.

For Bravely Default: love the music (especially the vocal versions of their themes) but Xenoblade still has more memorable songs to me.

That moment when its silent at the entrance of Prison Island and then suddenly to the Last Battle kicks in?
So many feels at that moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lK5wulOmGE[/spoiler]

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have Project X Zone, such a fun game.
It actually introduced me to a bunch of franchises that I probably wouldn't have discovered myself.
Gee, doesn't THAT sound familiar... what video game is this site talking about again?

I've never played Xenosaga, but I have read about KOS-MOS's story.
Given her significance as a character in that game, I have mixed feelings about her (possibly) showing up
in a game like this. While it's great that many more players might see her, part of me is
afraid her role in this game might not let her get the treatment she deserves. But it's a pretty baseless
fear at the moment, given how little we know.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Appropriate title is appropriate.

Going to give those Xenoblade songs a chance now. Maybe it's because I was listening to the entire OST which is almost 5 hours long. I remember looking up at least Engage the Enemy before, but I don't really remember it. To the tube of the you variety.

Edit: Wait. Yeah, now I remember Engage the Enemy. I did like this one. Not a huge fan of the beginning, but once the piano comes back in, it's all good. And it's in Smash Bros. Also, it was the second result after I typed in "Engage" after "Engagement Videos." Good job Xenoblade fans.

Last edited:
Appropriate title is appropriate.

Going to give those Xenoblade songs a chance now. Maybe it's because I was listening to the entire OST which is almost 5 hours long. I remember looking up at least Engage the Enemy before, but I don't really remember it. To the tube of the you variety.
Both games are amazing. They got their own flaws but imo, I was more engrossed with BD's gameplay (Class system, Brave and Default, Infinite combinations, FF feels) while Xenoblade was more about what you can do in the game: Roam around, quest, explore, do ****. Xenoblade had the significantly better plot. Soundtracks are on par. I'm having trouble deciding which is better

fml :|

BD sounds like the game for you though imo

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeah, I think BD is what I'm going to go with. Although now that I'm getting into Xenoblade's soundtrack more, I see what you mean by soundtracks being on par. I think how big the soundtrack was deterred me from liking it as much. A lot of good not great songs kept me from recognizing the great songs.

Quickly! A list of your best Xenoblade songs! (I have the 3 @ Berserker. Berserker. listed + Gaur Plains)

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Yeah, I think BD is what I'm going to go with. Although now that I'm getting into Xenoblade's soundtrack more, I see what you mean by soundtracks being on par. I think how big the soundtrack was deterred me from liking it as much. A lot of good not great songs kept me from recognizing the great songs.

Quickly! A list of your best Xenoblade songs! (I have the 3 @ Berserker. Berserker. listed + Gaur Plains)
My favourite, take it!
... listen atleast 30 seconds to it~

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09

My personal favorites are the Main Theme, On the Fallen Arm (whichever one is fine), and Tragic Decision (make sure you find the full version).

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM.
-Prologue A/B
-Reminiscence (Music box or original)
-To the Last Battle (My personal favorite)
-While I think
-Anger, Darkness of the Heart
-Beyond the Sky (does this one count?)
-God Slaying Sword
-Satoryl Marsh Night
-Eryth Sea
-Alcomoth City Night
-Mt. Valak (both morning, night)
-Field of the Machina (love this one)
-Agniritha City (love this one as well)
-Shulk and Fiora

Kind of a long list.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
And they're all going on the playlist! Verdict to come tonight.

Keep em coming if there are more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom