• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
What have I read...!? Riki?! I am not even going to touch that Shulk, Monado, Hades fanfic.

Well here would be my favourite Xenoblade songs (in no order):

Thoughts to a Friend
Unfinished Battle
Hometown
Colony 9 - Day and Night
Gaur Plains - Day
One Who Gets in Our Way
Satorl, Phosphorescent Land - Day and Night
Frontier Village - Day
Alcamoth - Day
Eryth Sea - Day and Night
Colony 6- Restoration
Colony 6 - Future
You Will Know Our Names
Into Deadlands - Night
Mechanical Rhythm
To the Last Battle

Edit: I might just read it after all. Curiosity is getting the better of me.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I tried to do the best I could with the songs that I was given. Wasn't even supposed to be a fanfic... just a plot to go along with my soundtrack playlist ^^; I had written most of the story without Riki until I saw Kingbro's post with "Riki the Legendary Hero." Then it only made sense to me that the legendary hero had to die so that Shulk fought the end battle alone. I'm guessing my story's not even close to the plot of Xenoblade Chronicles.

PS: Melia doesn't come with any new songs, so Melia doesn't get to be in the "musical."

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sadly, yes.

The final part of the game is basically Melia getting the shorter end of the stick with appearances from other characters in between.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I tried to do the best I could with the songs that I was given. Wasn't even supposed to be a fanfic... just a plot to go along with my soundtrack playlist ^^; I had written most of the story without Riki until I saw Kingbro's post with "Riki the Legendary Hero." Then it only made sense to me that the legendary hero had to die so that Shulk fought the end battle alone. I'm guessing my story's not even close to the plot of Xenoblade Chronicles.

PS: Melia doesn't come with any new songs, so Melia doesn't get to be in the "musical."
The best part about Riki is that he's nowhere near a "legendary hero" when he starts out. His village chief makes up a prophecy about him accompanying Shulk on his journey to get rid of him. And Riki knows it. He's specifically referred to as this year's legendary heropon. :p

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
The best part about Riki is that he's nowhere near a "legendary hero" when he starts out. His village chief makes up a prophecy about him accompanying Shulk on his journey to get rid of him. And Riki knows it. He's specifically referred to as this year's legendary heropon. :p
Wasn't Riki also in debt from gambling or something like that?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I was thinking Melia could play understudy to Fiora, but Fiora has a pretty minor part in the musical.

It's really all about Shulk's feels. And what he's... really... feeling. >.> (sorry)

In other news, I feel bad for making everyone put things in spoiler tags for the one guy who doesn't know Xenoblade. To atone for my sins, I will head to For Glory and play Shulk with my new playlist.

...Jump, Speed, Shield, Buster, Smash... right? >.> THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN.

Picking up Shulk on the spot and going on For Glory?

GG

Oh I saw some input on Shulk in the CCI thread. I have some agreements and objections but whatever.

Last edited:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I was thinking Melia could play understudy to Fiora, but Fiora has a pretty minor part in the musical.

It's really all about Shulk's feels. And what he's... really... feeling. >.> (sorry)

In other news, I feel bad for making everyone put things in spoiler tags for the one guy who doesn't know Xenoblade. To atone for my sins, I will head to For Glory and play Shulk with my new playlist.

Just remember that Back slash doesn't grab ledges.
Nair is love, Nair is life.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

Its fine, to be honest, i havent even finished watching an LP of Xenoblade (Chuggaa's still playing it), so i don't know the full game's story either. : P

Speed is legit safe for anything
Buster is mid-range. Must be played with care. Learn the range of Shulk's attacks before doing anything
Shield is your safe art
Smash is UNSAFE on shield. Prepare to hard read
Jump is gimp/recovery
F-air to space/poke
N-air is love/life/rushdown/combo set up
B-air is for poking
B-throw deals the most damage
D-throw to f-air in speed

Lastly, you know about the deceleration problem? Just short hop and plan before jumping

Also @ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011 , you got one thing wrong in your correct input on Shulk

There are only 3 tiers in the game

S (Dominant- Can solo through a tourney)
A (Good- Might need one other character to cover a bad match up but otherwise, good character)
B (The rest- Not viable~ or in other words, not as good)

Shulk's in A or A- if that exists

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Canceled Buster in time to kill with Dthrow. That was sick. This character is fun.

I haven't checked the CCI thread since I went on a semi-anti-pacman discussion about how he can't time people out.

FIRST SUCCESSFUL BACKSLASH. AND A 3 GAME WINNING STREAK. LET'S GO.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Speed is legit safe for anything
Buster is mid-range. Must be played with care. Learn the range of Shulk's attacks before doing anything
Shield is your safe art
Smash is UNSAFE on shield. Prepare to hard read
Jump is gimp/recovery
F-air to space/poke
N-air is love/life/rushdown/combo set up
B-air is for poking
B-throw deals the most damage
D-throw to f-air in speed

Lastly, you know about the deceleration problem? Just short hop and plan before jumping

Also @ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011 , you got one thing wrong in your correct input on Shulk

There are only 3 tiers in the game

S (Dominant- Can solo through a tourney)
A (Good- Might need one other character to cover a bad match up but otherwise, good character)
B (The rest- Not viable)

Shulk's in A or A- if that exists
Ooooooh, ok then. Sorry about that, thanks for correcting me. Although, the B tier, i haven't really seen many characters that fit that description. One of the only ones i can think of off the top of my head that might fit the bill would be Palutena, but again, not sure. Mind giving me a few examples?

One more thing to add to what Beserker said. Shulk has more range than Marth, so given that you're good at tipping that, you'll have an easy time landing attacks with his range for some of the moves, but you need to get used to his range. His Sweetspot is basically the blade of the Monado itself, so while this might not really be a big deal for his aerials, definitely keep this in mind for his tilts (pretty much F-tilt) and smash attacks (F-Smash).

Canceled Buster in time to kill with Dthrow. That was sick. This character is fun.

I haven't checked the CCI thread since I went on a semi-anti-pacman discussion about how he can't time people out.

Pacman is weird. Like literally my only gripe with him is his grab and that really impacts my impressions

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

Lol, glad to hear you're enjoying wielding the Monado's power. : P

BTW, i was the one who posted the input on the CCI thread, since i noticed someone questioning some deets on Shulk.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Whenever I see the word "backlash" I read it as "backslash." Incredibly, it has happened to me twice three times while I have been typing this post, even though I am the one who typed it! Also, because of Smashboards, when I read "Fair" with the F capitalized (at the start of the sentence) I interpret it as Forward Air.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Thanks for the tips.
Quick thoughts:
How do you guys hit people with BAir. The startup on that move is is ridiculous.
Same with DAir. I see why you don't even try with that move.
FAir edge guard is too good.
I'm trying this Speed > Buster idea of mine where once I'm in, I cancel speed really fast and change to buster. It... kind of works.

Counter is REALLY powerful. Especially the forward version.
Are they different?

OH. GOD. THAT WAS SICKENING. jab combo at the hilt, send him high. Jump> UAir (jump mode)

Last edited:
Do it immediately off a jump

or **** with your opponent and hit with the frontal part. Cross it up. Feel good about it~

As for d-air, don't try using it until you learned how to n-air -> d-air in jump art against Mario at 55%

And.... Hey, that speed > buster quick switch sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I'm stealing that~

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Thanks for the tips.
Quick thoughts:
How do you guys hit people with BAir. The startup on that move is is ridiculous.
Same with DAir. I see why you don't even try with that move.
FAir edge guard is too good.
I'm trying this Speed > Buster idea of mine where once I'm in, I cancel speed really fast and change to buster. It... kind of works.

Are they different?

OH. GOD. THAT WAS SICKENING. jab combo at the hilt, send him high. Jump> UAir (jump mode)
The Start up on D-Air actually can be useful. Given how long it takes to start up, it can actually aid you in meteoring your opponent. Due to its slow start up, you can get some people to air dodge early to avoid the meteor, but they'll only dodge the first hit, and still get spiked by the second hit, which has the knockback.

Also, with Bair, like Beserker said, immediately use it when you jump. Typically, i jump, and when im about to reach the max height of the jump, i begin the B-Air attack, and as soon as I see Shulk pull back the Monado before striking, I fast fall to about the same height as my opponent to land it. It takes practice to pull off, but its really rewarding, given its one of Shulk's KO moves. It also has the longest range of any of his aerials, which is good for avoiding being punished if you space it right.

Oh man, Normal Vision and Forward Vision are both really different. First off, Forward Vision does more damage and knockback than Normal, and is executed more quickly than Normal Vision. Only thing about Forward vision is it only works on the ground, and sends your opponent flying behind you (so if you're at the edge of the stage facing away from it and you manage to land this with your opponent at a decently high percent, they're done). Vision all around is a godsend in Monado Smash, usually it guarantees you a kill if you use it in Smash when you're going into the Arte for a kill (assuming you go for the kill at a KO percent like 80%+ obviously). Normal vision has better range for hitting attackers not directly in front of you like say if you get hit by a projectile, but Forward literally hits only in front of you and then a little extra, due to the Monado's incredible range. It basically re-inforces the fact that Shulk is an entire physical and up close combat character.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
And.... Hey, that speed > buster quick switch sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I'm stealing that~
From the CCI thread.

The only reason why I'm against Decisive Speed is because I think the ability to change mid-combo is theoretically amazing. Speed to get in, deactivate so you can MA cancel into jump/buster/smash to continue combo shenanigans and end with off stage stuff. What I normally see is people changing in neutral, and I think it has serious potential as a combo tool. We definitely think similarly about the character, which is really cool as I just realized this yesterday and goes against a lot of what I thought about the character before. He's different from the normal sword archetype spacer for sure. Just because he's got amazing range/disjoints doesn't make him a spacing character.
Posted by yours truly. And the response? "Too clunky."

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
From the CCI thread.

Posted by yours truly. And the response? "Too clunky."
Definitely would love to see this come to be in reality, if only so i'd have a better picture for how to pull it off and utilize it to improve Shulk's combo game.

?? That seems like weird advice. You can use Dair in other ways than that.
Hyperbolic advice. My bad :S

I think MArts L-cancel could be a thing. It's just that there isn't one pro that tried to make it the core of their strategy or at least a player show casing it

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So on a side note, i have 500 Trophies in the entire game out of the 714 total ones that there are, and out of the Xenoblade trophies i don't have Riki (i know i need to do Smash tour to get him, havent gotten around to it yet) and no matter what i do, i cannot seem to find the Faced Mechon and Seven trophies. : \ Are any of those challenge exclusive besides Riki?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Hyperbolic advice. My bad :S
... I was trying to NAir DAir Mario... I thought it was going to work.

I'm going to remember this, Berserker. And when you ask me to trust you on something, I will refer to this moment.

I think MArts L-cancel could be a thing. It's just that there isn't one pro that tried to make it the core of their strategy or at least a player show casing it
Yeah, I know. Really, you kind of need to go into training mode at slow speeds and come up with combos that take advantage of it. You have to really plan out in advance what you want to do like a chess player... you need good "Vision." If I wasn't so invested into Mega Man and... actually playing the game... I think it would be a really fun thing to develop.

So far, Speed>Buster is the opening. Cancel whenever I'm in a favorable position. However, if I can somehow use the MArt Buster to L-cancel it would make it beautiful. Maybe even go to jump in order to do jab combo>UAir kill off the top.

... I was trying to NAir DAir Mario... I thought it was going to work.

I'm going to remember this, Berserker. And when you ask me to trust you on something, I will refer to this moment.
Bruh. Only do n-air to d-air in training. If you get the feels, it may work. This isn't the first time I got someone to do something stupid for the sake of science. Moi bad :awesome:

"Kassy, try countering KO punch"
"Diverse, try n-airing a fully charged sun shot"

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Bruh. Only do n-air to d-air in training. If you get the feels, it may work. This isn't the first time I got someone to do something stupid for the sake of science. Moi bad :awesome:

"Kassy, try countering KO punch"
"Diverse, try n-airing a fully charged sun shot"
All about that science life. You don't even know. All is forgiven. I actually think it has a chance of working.

Ugh, stupid CCI thread interrupted my Shulk rampage to talk about doubles...

I bet you could NAir a fully charged sun shot in buster to beat it out. (You should try... for science)

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
All about that science life. You don't even know. All is forgiven. I actually think it has a chance of working.

I bet you could NAir a fully charged sun shot in buster to beat it out. (You should try... for science)
Well, that's the price of being one of the best users of a character known on a Smash site. You get badgered for MU/doubles advice on them. : 3

Did it in training on Mario. 3-hit combo but Nammy will send a GIF soon enough

I've lost a tournament for science. Like, day one off-stage n-air. Lol. What the ****

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Well, that's the price of being one of the best users of a character known on a Smash site. You get badgered for MU/doubles advice on them. : 3
I don't know about that. I definitely understand the character at a high level as well as on a theoretical level, which is why I feel comfortable talking about him competitively, but there are quite a few holes in my game that I need to patch up. Always work to do. (Also, there are a few really good Mega Mans on the boards that I have yet to really see much of in action)

@ Berserker. Berserker. - I'm literally a scientist. That is literally my job. So, as far as I'm concerned, you won that tournament. Because science.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Did it in training on Mario. 3-hit combo but Nammy will send a GIF soon enough
I've lost a tournament for science. Like, day one off-stage n-air. Lol. What the ****
Accidentally nairing off stage makes me die inside
idk how you continued playing after doing that

lol speaking of horrible aerials off stage, earlier today i was a stock ahead using zss in a for glory match, so i was like alright let's end this quick with a dsmash to dair spike, right?
NOPE
SAMUS JUST DECIDES TO ZIP PAST HER OPPONENT, COMPLETELY MISS THEM, AND GO ON THE TIME OF HER LIFE TOWARDS THE DEATH ZONES

also i just remembered that earlier today i used shulk's nair on accident too and couldn't recover

this is just the day of horrible aerials apparently, sakurai y

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So on a side note, i have 500 Trophies in the entire game out of the 714 total ones that there are, and out of the Xenoblade trophies i don't have Riki (i know i need to do Smash tour to get him, havent gotten around to it yet) and no matter what i do, i cannot seem to find the Faced Mechon and Seven trophies. : \ Are any of those challenge exclusive besides Riki?
They actually are collectibles! I strongly believe that in this game trophies have different rarity classes, signified by their base prices in the trophy shop.
I don't know about that. I definitely understand the character at a high level as well as on a theoretical level, which is why I feel comfortable talking about him competitively, but there are quite a few holes in my game that I need to patch up. Always work to do. (Also, there are a few really good Mega Mans on the boards that I have yet to really see much of in action)

@ Berserker. Berserker. - I'm literally a scientist. That is literally my job. So, as far as I'm concerned, you won that tournament. Because science.
Fitting, as Shulk is a scientist himself =].

By the way, what kind of scientist are you?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
WFT's fully charged Sun Salutation does 18%. As long as buster NAir does 9% or more (which it does... right?) it should beat it out.

lol speaking of horrible aerials off stage, earlier today i was a stock ahead using zss in a for glory match, so i was like alright let's end this quick with a dsmash to dair spike, right?
NOPE
SAMUS JUST DECIDES TO ZIP PAST HER OPPONENT, COMPLETELY MISS THEM, AND GO ON THE TIME OF HER LIFE TOWARDS THE DEATH ZONES

So, I normally play Mega, DK, Marth, and Samus. I'm learning Sheik in order to get experience actually applying up close pressure instead of spacing (also, how to jab...). None of the 4 characters I'm used to have a dive kick and they all have very good DAirs off stage. The amount of times I've just SD'd with Sheik because of it is just... sad.

Edit: Dis gettin personal. I'm currently a research assistant (lab tech) in a neuroscience lab. I mostly do behavioral work with some molecular neuro on the side.

Edit2: BACK TO DA SHULK.

Last edited:
Accidentally nairing off stage makes me die inside
idk how you continued playing after doing that

NOPE

also i just remembered that earlier today i used shulk's nair on accident too and couldn't recover

Didn't feel bad about it. Haha. I was okay back then when it happened

Top Bottom