• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/0...lped-create-mechs-for-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

This hypes me up more for xenoblade x, god I can't wait for that game.
I... AHH. Wow. This game just seems to keep getting better and better. I also saw an interview the other day and the storywriter had this to say:
“After the basic fantasy story for [Xenoblade], we’re having him write a deep and and distinctive sci-fi story this time around.”
B-basic? Xenoblade Chronicles has a BASIC story? HOW INTRICATE WILL THE STORY BE IN XCX THEN?!?! /help i need this game
Article right here btw: http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/11/26/xenoblade-chronicles-x-feature-deep-sci-fi-story/

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I... AHH. Wow. This game just seems to keep getting better and better. I also saw an interview the other day and the storywriter had this to say:
“After the basic fantasy story for [Xenoblade], we’re having him write a deep and and distinctive sci-fi story this time around.”
B-basic? Xenoblade Chronicles has a BASIC story? HOW INTRICATE WILL THE STORY BE IN XCX THEN?!?! /help i need this game
Article right here btw: http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/11/26/xenoblade-chronicles-x-feature-deep-sci-fi-story/
And they also confirmed online play!(Even though it's a no brainer)
I'm not into RPGs but the xenoblade series has caught my interests. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Yo Shulk mirror matches are like RPG fights when you counter the art the ditto currently has active, I love it

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
The thing is with "I'm really feeling it" is a meme that I both love and hate.
I love it since it is pretty funny (at times) and I love Shulk's enthusiasm with the line.
I hate it since it gets pretty annoying after a while and people who haven't played Xenoblade will get the wrong perception of who Shulk really is.
...In that regard, I should hate it more than like it.
So it's not just me! But yes, it's starting to grate. Shulk has SO much more to say than "I'm really feeling it". I've been trying to pinpoint why I don't like people who haven't played Xenoblade throwing the phrase around so much, and I think this is why. They'll have the wrong impression of him.
Similar thing with "Now it's Shulk Time!" The joke itself is okay, but 95% of the time it should be applied to Reyn who is the source of the quote. People don't know better but I guess this was always going to happen and I'll live with it. Look at what happened to Ike with fighting for his friends.

Edit: I have to wonder if someone played this far through the game just to make this joke.

Yo Shulk mirror matches are like RPG fights when you counter the art the ditto currently has active, I love it
Shulk mirror matches are fun. You know it gets serious when you both turn on Buster, or both Smash. ALL OR NOTHING

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
So it's not just me! But yes, it's starting to grate. Shulk has SO much more to say than "I'm really feeling it". I've been trying to pinpoint why I don't like people who haven't played Xenoblade throwing the phrase around so much, and I think this is why. They'll have the wrong impression of him.
Similar thing with "Now it's Shulk Time!" The joke itself is okay, but 95% of the time it should be applied to Reyn who is the source of the quote. People don't know better but I guess this was always going to happen and I'll live with it. Look at what happened to Ike with fighting for his friends.

Shulk mirror matches are fun. You know it gets serious when you both turn on Buster, or both Smash. ALL OR NOTHING
Yeah, one of my friends says in an imitation to Shulk, "I'm really feeling it!" whenever I use Shulk, or when I pull off a vision he copies the way Shulk says both lines when performing a counter. It was cool at first, but now it's been bugging me. The worst part is that he played the game himself, and stopped right before Satorl Marsh.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
It bothers me a lot too, I guess just cause people think Xenoblade is a FEELING IT party but it's not even close. I convinced my friend to get Xenoblade though whenever he can get money. I showed him some of the characters and he says his favorite is
FIORA. (non-spoiler Homs of course)
/nervous sweating

Edit: I have to wonder if someone played this far through the game just to make this joke.
I just got to this part earlier today and I didn't exactly like Zinnia..UNTIL NOW. "I'm really resurrecting it!" - Zinnia, 2014

Yeah, one of my friends says in an imitation to Shulk, "I'm really feeling it!" whenever I use Shulk, or when I pull off a vision he copies the way Shulk says both lines when performing a counter. It was cool at first, but now it's been bugging me. The worst part is that he played the game himself, and stopped right before Satorl Marsh.
B-but how can you stop at Satorl Marsh of all places? HOW CAN YOU STOP PLAYING THAT GAME AT ALL? Satorl Marsh made me practically die when I first got there. It's impossible to resist GLOWING TREES :awesome:

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
It bothers me a lot too, I guess just cause people think Xenoblade is a FEELING IT party but it's not even close. I convinced my friend to get Xenoblade though whenever he can get money. I showed him some of the characters and he says his favorite is
FIORA. (non-spoiler Homs of course)
/nervous sweating

I just got to this part earlier today and I didn't exactly like Zinnia..UNTIL NOW. "I'm really resurrecting it!" - Zinnia, 2014

B-but how can you stop at Satorl Marsh of all places? HOW CAN YOU STOP PLAYING THAT GAME AT ALL? Satorl Marsh made me practically die when I first got there. It's impossible to resist GLOWING TREES :awesome:
He stopped right at the boss fight in the Ether Mine before you get Dunban. Since he didn't do many quests, he wasn't a high enough level to defeat it. That, and he didn't know about skip travel so he thought he had to walk everywhere to do anything.
Also, how early did you find out skip travel or the ability to change the hour at will? It isn't that difficult to find, unless you never look at your maps or read what the boxes say on the menu.

D

Deleted member

So, I just turned 23 years old today.
23, the tenth prime number, and which make 2 + 3 = 5, my favorite number with the 2.

#FigureManiac

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade Chronicles didn't really have a basic storyline, though! It follows some of the typical JRPG cliches, but it still had a lot of twists and turns and character development to separate its plot from the rest.
If they thought that the plot was basic, then I dunno what to think about what they will do here.

I always get frightened whenever I am in a Shulk ditto fight. (well, when I am dealing with a Shulk who uses the Monado Arts; I easily beat a Shulk who didn't use them and I did) Those fights are absolutely tense and it's more of a fight of, "Who can use the Monado Arts better?"
I typically don't do well in Shulk dittos.

Try to get Xenoblade on the Wii. Trust me; you won't regret it.

Knowing how the Internet is, they probably did.

I can't tell if this is either a coincidence or if it was an intentional reference to Shulk (because you know how much Nintendo loves memes).

23, the tenth prime number, and which make 2 + 3 = 5, my favorite number with the 2.

#FigureManiac
Happy birthday!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was having some skilled Shulk dittos online yesterday and we typically went to the same Monado arts until somebody racked up enough damage, in which case it was either Shield or Smash. I like to go to Shield when both are at high damage since Shield does not lower knockback much, but he would go to Smash to try to counteract. I think in Shield vs Smash, Shield wins, and if both are high damage it would definitely win.

I'm interested in how Jump vs Speed works out though. We never did that.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
An internet buddy of mine is writing that, she's planning to update it as info comes in through the XCX Twitter and other news. Good to have it all in one place.

Naturally everyone here will say this - but get it. It's worth the price tag and Shulk's inclusion in Smash is well-justified.

#FigureManiac
Happy birthday man! Hope you have (had) a great day! I'm 22 in about a week, myself.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur

#FigureManiac
Happy birthday!! Enjoy your last two years before reaching the century's quarter~

By the way, did anyone else notice that the mech designer for Xenoblade X not only worked in MG, but also in Ghost in the Shell: Arise?

Ghost in the Mother****ing Shell, people. That game is gonna be straight up gorgeous. I do hope they don't follow the path of Xenoblade 1 and insert a mascot character in your party like Rikki. Super cute design, kinda cool concept, terrible voice acting...

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Happy birthday!! Enjoy your last two years before reaching the century's quarter~

By the way, did anyone else notice that the mech designer for Xenoblade X not only worked in MG, but also in Ghost in the Shell: Arise?

Ghost in the Mother****ing Shell, people. That game is gonna be straight up gorgeous. I do hope they don't follow the path of Xenoblade 1 and insert a mascot character in your party like Rikki. Super cute design, kinda cool concept, terrible voice acting...
You're gonna be disappointed. We already have new Heropon Tatsu!

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

#FigureManiac
I just realized, I completely forgot to tell you happy birthday, sorry about that. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and I hope you've had a great day so far.

You're gonna be disappointed. We already have new Heropon Tatsu!

I hope Tatsu is just as magnificent as THE LEGENDARY HEROPON, however it'll be quite hard to beat that title. :4shulk:

In other news, my dad downloaded this poster making program that splices up a large image into many smaller ones so when you print them out and put them all together, it's like a poster. He's extremely kind, and said he'd make me a XENOBLADE POSTER!
/hype overload, i'm really feeling it x10
Of course, I'll be sure to post a picture here when it's done, most likely within a day or so.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Heropon Tatsu very cool!
Do you think that if we have Tatsu as a party member, he'll retain Artes that Riki had (Like Burninate, Lurgy, all of those).
Given how expansive the class system is said to be, I can easily see one class be dedicated to emulate Riki's combat style. I'm hoping he'll be a surprisingly effective fighter just like Riki was.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Was he really? I can't say I'm super surprised, it's just that I never used him because I found his battlecries to be too annoying for my 60 year old mindset :4gaw:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
My best use for Riki is a tank (+ether attacker). While tanking, he can heal himself and allies and hit opponentst (opponents 10+ levels over him too) with his ether arts.

Happy Happy, the art that fills party gauge, is pretty good at times. Riki is Angry is good since he's tanking. Freezinate, Burninate, and Lurgy are the ether arts. You Can Do It (healing art) is a given. The other arts I would recommend are Behave (paralysis, can remove craze) and Tantrum (high damage- good for aggro, also breaks, but is not good against enemies 10+ levels higher than you).

However, this is not great with AI controlling him, since he doesn't use his ether arts very often.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
My best use for Riki is a tank (+ether attacker). While tanking, he can heal himself and allies and hit opponentst (opponents 10+ levels over him too) with his ether arts.

Happy Happy, the art that fills party gauge, is pretty good at times. Riki is Angry is good since he's tanking. Freezinate, Burninate, and Lurgy are the ether arts. You Can Do It (healing art) is a given. The other arts I would recommend are Behave (paralysis, can remove craze) and Tantrum (high damage- good for aggro, also breaks, but is not good against enemies 10+ levels higher than you).

However, this is not great with AI controlling him, since he doesn't use his ether arts very often.
I think the AI might be programmed to mostly use arts that they have a favorable stat in, or if the party's in danger.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Heropon Tatsu very cool!
Do you think that if we have Tatsu as a party member, he'll retain Artes that Riki had (Like Burninate, Lurgy, all of those).
Tatsu is a confirmed party member, if I heard correctly. Along with Monado-Hairpin-Girl.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
@ zippy3214 zippy3214 So maybe I should try ether up gems, thanks!

Ok my favorite area in Xenoblade is Eryth Sea because it's so relaxing. Especially at night... you've got this music playing:
Oh, and then add in that high pitched, twinkle like sound that is made when meteors are falling. Maybe also add in the sound of your strokes in the water as you head off to some island that slowly grows in the distance. Meanwhile, you have those dynamic colors flowing in sky.

The climate of the area is warm but not hot like Makna Forest, so you know that the water is warm too. It is probably really comfortable to swim in the water.

So a couple game loads ago I felt like heading to the center of the Bionis' neck. I just thought that would be kind of cool. It took a while to get there.. and tbh when you get up close it just looks like a wall. I found something - the corner of the wall is not at the middle of it. I figure this is because the Bionis' head is slightly turned - kind of cool I guess.

--> But then I turned the camera around!! It was stunning. You see the entire length of Eryth Sea, each side of the Sea on each edge of the TV screen, perfect symmetry. I cannot believe I had not tried that before, so if you haven't seen this yourself, you need to. The full effect is just beautiful, and now I understand why they made this a marked area, the "Bionis Occipital." There's no images of it online, but I tell you, it is well worth the little trip. To get the full symmetry effect, you need to be away from the corner of the wall (the neck) since, like I said, it's not the middle. Also, you can turn off the minimap, storyline reminder, or any other screen displays if you like.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Lol AI control is super hilarious in the game. Like, Reyn, Dunban and Sharla are pretty good as AI because their jobs are pretty straightforward and not varied at all (which is great IMO), but Shulk and Melia are hilariously bad. I remember I tried having Melia as P-leader in Sword Valley and just had Shulk tag along because otherwise Dunban wouldn't do **** to the Mechons, and he forgot to use Enchant like 70% of the time. I mean what the effing ****, Shulk.

So then I switched to Shulk as PL and Melia being controlled by AI and she either spammed her AoE spells so much that no one could take aggro away from her or just stood there doing NOTHING. I suppose she was trying to keep the summoning buffs up, but seriously she'd just be there. Watching. Like Jeff Goldblum except less hot.

It was confusing at best.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
/cringe
"SUMMON BOLT! SUMMON FLARE! HEALING AQUA! SUMMO-" /Melia dies from all the aggro she was summoning

Melia's AI being so bad is pretty funny sometimes. One time, I believe it was at Valak Mountain..? Yeah, pretty sure it was, she summoned an element and walked off of a cliff...lol. I kinda hope the AI in XCX is still a bit bad for some characters because it leads to some rather...interesting moments

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Omg when characters walk off cliffs or into lava is the funniest and most frustrating thing in the world. With me Dunban is MISTER INTENSE and prefers his battles causing third degree burns. He'd always find the most awkward spot inside a lava pit or acid or WHATEVER and as much as I'd call him back he'd always get himself burnt time and again.

Also **** the lava boss in Mt. Valac. And the Mechon boss within Sword Valley that you fight surrounded by an ether deposit.

Seriously the AI in the game actually physically transformed me into the confused black girl meme.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
First off, sorry for the double post.

I just have a question. I was thinking of opening a thread about other RPGs you Shulk mains have enjoyed, but I dunno if I should open it up here in Shulk's board or in another section. I mostly wanted to open it up here because Shulk community and RPGs :p. Also, tabletop games anyone?

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

I just have a question. I was thinking of opening a thread about other RPGs you Shulk mains have enjoyed, but I dunno if I should open it up here in Shulk's board or in another section. I mostly wanted to open it up here because Shulk community and RPGs :p. Also, tabletop games anyone?
Mother/Earthbound on my end. And Kingdom Hearts, plus a bit of the Tales series. Aside from those, most of the RPG's i've played and mostly Nintendo ones and are well known, so i don't feel the need to mention them.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Lol AI control is super hilarious in the game. Like, Reyn, Dunban and Sharla are pretty good as AI because their jobs are pretty straightforward and not varied at all (which is great IMO), but Shulk and Melia are hilariously bad. I remember I tried having Melia as P-leader in Sword Valley and just had Shulk tag along because otherwise Dunban wouldn't do **** to the Mechons, and he forgot to use Enchant like 70% of the time. I mean what the effing ****, Shulk.

So then I switched to Shulk as PL and Melia being controlled by AI and she either spammed her AoE spells so much that no one could take aggro away from her or just stood there doing NOTHING. I suppose she was trying to keep the summoning buffs up, but seriously she'd just be there. Watching. Like Jeff Goldblum except less hot.

It was confusing at best.
Yeah. I have to disagree about Sharla... I didn't realize how bad her AI was until I started playing as her. She's bad at healing and curing when it's needed. She NEVER cures you when you're debuffed and she's so slow with her healing. She also always lets her talent gauge fill up all the way before using it even though that's much slower.

Shulk's AI is ok as long as he doesn't need to use MArts frequently. I'm usually able to leave him up to AI and when a Monado Shield needs to be used I just sacrifice the talent gauge bar and warn him.

I don't see any reason why not to open a thread with the topic. I think it would help get rid of that that 'Xenoblade is animu,' bs.

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Alright! I was only wondering because some boards seem to be kinda strict about... things. Then again there's the Zelda board.

alright I'll make that thread later. Thanks guise.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
When you set the match to fast in Special Smash or training mode, sounds have their pitches raised. This + Metal Face is hilarious :joyful:
It's kind of cute.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Yeah. I have to disagree about Sharla... I didn't realize how bad her AI was until I started playing as her. She's bad at healing and curing when it's needed. She NEVER cures you when you're debuffed and she's so slow with her healing. She also always lets her talent gauge fill up all the way before using it even though that's much slower.

Shulk's AI is ok as long as he doesn't need to use MArts frequently. I'm usually able to leave him up to AI and when a Monado Shield needs to be used I just sacrifice the talent gauge bar and warn him.
I haven't really had much problem with the AI but I've never taken on anything harder than the last boss so I don't know if that's an issue that only becomes apparent when you need a strict strategy. I think part of "____ isn't using an Art, wtf" is because they used it previously and it's on cooldown. I think that's part of the issue - the AI doesn't identify your strategy in any way so it doesn't save some Arts for the opportune moment. A common complaint I hear early-on is that Reyn never topples anything - that's only because he's just used Wild Down and can't use it again. Just take a stab at the cooldown length and Break it then.

Maybe they could implement some way to influence your AI teammates like FFXII and "Tales of" series do.

The only problems I've really had is when you need Shulk to use Monado Shield but he used Monado Buster for some reason 15 seconds ago and he isn't going to fill the gauge again, even with Battle Soul. Also, Melia refusing to auto-attack when I assume she's just standing around to give the buffs. How do you not auto-attack, Melia? You may as well crack someone on the head with the staff while you're not doing anything else... *insert gif of the funny-looking Fire Emblem staff counter-attack from Radiant Dawn*

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I haven't really had much problem with the AI but I've never taken on anything harder than the last boss so I don't know if that's an issue that only becomes apparent when you need a strict strategy. I think part of "____ isn't using an Art, wtf" is because they used it previously and it's on cooldown. I think that's part of the issue - the AI doesn't identify your strategy in any way so it doesn't save some Arts for the opportune moment. A common complaint I hear early-on is that Reyn never topples anything - that's only because he's just used Wild Down and can't use it again. Just take a stab at the cooldown length and Break it then.

Maybe they could implement some way to influence your AI teammates like FFXII and "Tales of" series do.

The only problems I've really had is when you need Shulk to use Monado Shield but he used Monado Buster for some reason 15 seconds ago and he isn't going to fill the gauge again, even with Battle Soul. Also, Melia refusing to auto-attack when I assume she's just standing around to give the buffs. How do you not auto-attack, Melia? You may as well crack someone on the head with the staff while you're not doing anything else... *insert gif of the funny-looking Fire Emblem staff counter-attack from Radiant Dawn*
Yeah, Reyn's usually pretty good at toppling when it's possible. When it comes to Riki not using his ether arts or Sharla not using her healing/curing arts I've grown really comfortable with what the cooldowns on those moves are. For Riki's case, he barely uses the ether arts at all. He uses Freezinate every once in a while, but the cooldown on that move is much faster than the frequency he uses it. Burninate and Lurgy are very rarely used though. He will go several minutes without using them. I tried removing some of his other arts he decided to use in order to see if that would force him to use the two moves, but he instead auto attacks. In Sharla's case, it will even happen on the start of the battle. The enemy burns all three of us party members... what does Sharla do? Usually nothing. Sometimes she will use cure bullet on one person and just let the others slowly die. If she does cure round, it's usually a decent time after everyone has been hurt. With healing arts, I'll realize during the match that she's not healing when she should be, so I'll control Sharla myself and change the character I was using to AI. Suddenly, there's no risk of dying. My healing outmatches the enemy's damage dealing.

Yeah, this only becomes apparent when I'm fighting tough unique monsters (like that one fortress mechon) or large hordes of enemies. I didn't find anything wrong with the AI in my first playthrough until the end of new game+ when I decided to face those enemies that are above level 100. When I fought that badass bunnit in Satorl Marsh is when I realized how much better Sharla is when you control her. Now in my second playthrough I'm finding it fun to change myself to facing much higher level enemies. It's a lot of fun and you can kind of experiment around with things - which is why I found my op Sharla tank strategy.

I hope they implement a way to control how the allies' AI work too. I would be surprised if they didn't.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I honestly never got close with Melia even when I was using her as PL, although I was much more careful about spell casting and minute healing. I only closed in when I wanted to use her super ridiculous melee arts.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The plot of Xenoblade is really streamlined compared to Xenosaga and Xenogear. A lot of "Xeno series fans" have actually complained about how simple the story is , so yeah, if you want to see complex JRPG plots check out those other Xeno games.

For the record, I loved Xenoblade's story. It was fairly straight forward but still had a lot of interesting twists, and honestly, the other Xeno games could be a bit convoluted at times.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The plot of Xenoblade is really streamlined compared to Xenosaga and Xenogear. A lot of "Xeno series fans" have actually complained about how simple the story is , so yeah, if you want to see complex JRPG plots check out those other Xeno games.

For the record, I loved Xenoblade's story. It was fairly straight forward but still had a lot of interesting twists, and honestly, the other Xeno games could be a bit convoluted at times.
So do you know a lot about the Xeno series? I was hoping you could help me with something. I've got two games - Xenosaga 1 and Xenosaga 2. I've just barely started Xenosaga 1. Apparently there's also a Xenosaga 3 out there... Are the storylines connected between the three games? I read online that the people disliked Xenosaga 3. Is Xenosaga 3 like an ending for these first two games or would I be fine stopping at Xenosaga 2 and not going to Xenosaga 3?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Xenosaga II is the one that got mixed reception. Xenosaga III was basically created to wrap up plot elements, due to the previous game not meeting expectations and causing the series to be wrapped up prematurely.

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
So do you know a lot about the Xeno series? I was hoping you could help me with something. I've got two games - Xenosaga 1 and Xenosaga 2. I've just barely started Xenosaga 1. Apparently there's also a Xenosaga 3 out there... Are the storylines connected between the three games? I read online that the people disliked Xenosaga 3. Is Xenosaga 3 like an ending for these first two games or would I be fine stopping at Xenosaga 2 and not going to Xenosaga 3?
:link:
As someone who owns the trilogy myself, yes, they are connected. On the subject of previous Xeno games, I really need to purchase Xenogears at some point. . . I've been wanting to hit another play-through of it again for a while now (that and Baiten Kaitos, which I've also never owned my own personal copies of, either). Great games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom