• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I found something that helps A LOT when fighting Paulutena (and possibly Rosalina too). Paulutena is a pain because her upB (warp) and her various dodges turn her invisible. When in the heat of battle, it is difficult to determine where Paulutena is moving with these moves. I found that if you highlight Paulutena by pressing her pic on the bottom screen, you are able to tell where she is even when she is invisible. This makes tracking her movements a lot easier. It's not just Shulk users that benefit from knowing this, but the lag on Shulk's attacks makes knowing where the opponent is more necessary. I figured this out when facing a Paulutena player, and then I really was able to turn the matches around. There was no more guessing about where Paulutena was going to end up.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
It's just like seeing the future... Never had an issue with Palutena's invisibility, but that's still pretty cool. This also works with Zelda's, Sheik's, and Meta Knight's teleport moves. And not with Greninja's counter. Actually seems a little unfair, though...

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
It's just like seeing the future... Never had an issue with Palutena's invisibility, but that's still pretty cool. This also works with Zelda's, Sheik's, and Meta Knight's teleport moves. And not with Greninja's counter. Actually seems a little unfair, though...
Hey, it's hard enough to keep track of the characters on the 3DS version as it is. Plus, isn't it unfair if you can't see your enemy while they're dodging because of a little asthetic? Besides, this feature won't be in the Wii U version, so we won't have to worry about it for long anyway.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Not being able to see them isn't unfair or just an aesthetic, it's a gimmick. Attacking with Zelda's Up-B or Meta Knight's Down-B is part of their mindgames, you never know if they're going to attack or teleport away... But the crosshair clearly shows what they're doing and makes them about as telegraphed as an Ike Side-B, so you can literally see the future and be ready with a Down-B... I mean, it's kinda cool but in hindsight does ruin some mindgames, which is prevalent in Palutena's style.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yay Mewtwo!Greninja has been moved to secondary giving me three mains Link Mewtwo and Shulk!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Shulks Nair is amazing, but why those uair and dair hitboxes so bad >.<

hello all, I've been lurking around here for a little bit, but now I'm really feeling Shulk so I decided to post lol

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
You also post in the Zelda boards also. Hai
well ofcourse I post on Zelda boards, been dedicated to the woman since melee, it would be a shame not to post there (ignoring the fact I didn't start posting till brawl)

I used to float around the boards so much someone even asked me who I mained cause they were confused at how I was all over the place. Lol

well ofcourse I post on Zelda boards, been dedicated to the woman since melee, it would be a shame not to post there (ignoring the fact I didn't start posting till brawl)

I used to float around the boards so much someone even asked me who I mained cause they were confused at how I was all over the place. Lol
I lurk there in the Zelda boards also. I was interested in using Zelda because of this grab tech ZombieBran was talking about

But anyway, welcome to the Shulk boards. Best Shulk player atm is Trela. Don't know about Ally but he has a head start from us because he got to play as Shulk in the Wii U version pffffffft

edit: Hope you enjoy Shulk

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
oh Zelda's magical bubble grab that seizes people like a vice grip? Its actually pretty funny when you do it since they really do wriggle around her body on being grabbed.

I'm enjoying shulk. In a way he reminds me of Zelda with the whole commitment to moves thing. I just wish unlocking customs was easier cause now I have to grind out Shulks lol.

Yeah >_>

It took me about 13 classic runs to get all his customs because I kept getting customs I already had or I just get equipment which I really don't care about

Just throwing it out there again.

In case if people got the wrong idea. Speed and n-air are still recommended against Peach. It's just that b-air feels a lot more important this time around. Buster's fine. The only reason why I use it is because of the damage output of course and because I fear getting a crown or a d-air on my face. Jump against Peach might be alright... But imo because her aerials do a lot of damage and they don't stale (I actually just noticed this a day ago) combined with how we take more damage with jump on.... I'm not too sure.

I used decisive/default for this one btw. I'm not 100% sure on hyper against Peach. I got stupid once and got killed by her parasol when I was on hyper smash pfffffft.

Some ideas for you guys when using Hyper arts

- HBuster is terribly unsafe against heavier characters
- HBuster and HJump are risky. If you get hit at least once with these activated, just switch out right away
- Vanilla Shulk is not bad for racking up damage. Decent damage racking abilities
- Safe way of racking up damage with HBuster is by throwing or edgeguarding with b-air or f-air. You'll get some free hits with edgeguarding. Also, u-tilt actually juggles for a bit
- HJump is a bit mixed. I solely use this for recovering. Sometimes, I use it to rush down a bit but falling as fast as a brick makes it difficult to timed spaced nairs which leads to taking a lot of damage
- HSpeed is amazing. It's basically speed++++ for 6 seconds. The only thing that guts this is the piss damage output. I use speed as a filler in between arts
- HShield... Idk... The duration kills it. Survivability, I guess?
- HSmash is pretty much the reason why Hyper arts is worth it. Despite your damage racking being a bit iffy here or inconsistent, your ability to KO ranges around 50-95%. The main gripe with HSmash is that you're the lighest in the game which means you better activate this when you're at an advantageous position (Off a u-throw, opponent is off the edge)
- The following are go-to KO moves with HSmash: B-throw near the edge, Air slash near the edge, U-tilt, F-tilt, U-smash
- Also, Monado Arts LL cancel is gonna be used a lot with Hyper arts activated considering how long Hyper Arts lasts

The basic gist of using HMarts is racking off and activating damage off throws, cherishing damage from any method, and KO'ing at low percentages.

Also, power vision is the way to go

If you guys watched Ally vs Anti just now in NAKAT's stream, lmao those taunts

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
peaches while floating aerials dont stale, but any non floated ones do. Only thing is I think dropping the float while doing the aerial caries that effect.

Oh and update

Xyro got 25th in Road to TGC and not sure if Trela used Shulk but since Razer said so, he got 1st with Robin/Zard and Shulk. 73 entrants

So yeah. Gratz to them

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I haven't experimented too much with customs, but it seems power vision and decisive are worth it in some matchups. Are any other moves particularly useful?

I found something that helps A LOT when fighting Paulutena (and possibly Rosalina too). Paulutena is a pain because her upB (warp) and her various dodges turn her invisible. When in the heat of battle, it is difficult to determine where Paulutena is moving with these moves. I found that if you highlight Paulutena by pressing her pic on the bottom screen, you are able to tell where she is even when she is invisible. This makes tracking her movements a lot easier. It's not just Shulk users that benefit from knowing this, but the lag on Shulk's attacks makes knowing where the opponent is more necessary. I figured this out when facing a Paulutena player, and then I really was able to turn the matches around. There was no more guessing about where Paulutena was going to end up.
I guess you could say...

...you saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
It's been a long time since I posted here last but I'm super happy with Shulk. Such a fun character to play, and I just played 3 games against a Shulk named Roo online - Shulk dittos are amazing.

Also I found out that there's a species of bat called the Manado Fruit Bat! Two minutes of photoshopping later and I had a quick tribute to my favourite Smash character.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I had a dream where there was a Nintendo Direct and they started out with revealing Shulk to be playable in a new Nintendo racing game that draws inspiration from both Smash and MK. Kirby was also revealed, with his warp star. Soon afterwards, I woke up and continued to think about the concept.

Shulk's vehicle would be the Monado Cycle. Imagine the Monado with the pointy end facing backwards and the circle part of the sword being the front wheel. The other wheel is put somewhere near the tip of the blade. The back, blade end of the cycle has the Monado's beam coming out of it... or so it appears. The beam is actually a long, concentrated blue flame that propels the vehicle forwards.

I had a few ideas for character specific items, such as you see in Mario Kart Double Dash. One of Shulk's items could be Monado Buster, which visually extends the sword's beam (the blue flame) and makes it go extremely fast. While the Monado art is in use, the insignia for it appears in the front wheel. Another thought I had for items is Monado Shield, which creates the same graphic from Xenoblade around your bike, shielding you from one enemy attack for the time it is in use. This item would be especially useful in first place, with risk of blue shells (which would still be in this game).

As for other thoughts for this game, Kirby would obviously be in and riding on his warpstar. His items could be some of the enemies he faces, and when used he sucks up the enemy and gains its power. Kirby's special items could work similarly to how they work in Kirby Air Ride. Link would also need to be in the game, and one of his special items could be the bombchu – similar to the green shell but explosive. In terms with other characters, the options are plentiful. Honestly, it would be a really cool game that I hope to see released some day.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I had a dream where there was a Nintendo Direct and they started out with revealing Shulk to be playable in a new Nintendo racing game that draws inspiration from both Smash and MK. Kirby was also revealed, with his warp star. Soon afterwards, I woke up and continued to think about the concept.

Shulk's vehicle would be the Monado Cycle. Imagine the Monado with the pointy end facing backwards and the circle part of the sword being the front wheel. The other wheel is put somewhere near the tip of the blade. The back, blade end of the cycle has the Monado's beam coming out of it... or so it appears. The beam is actually a long, concentrated blue flame that propels the vehicle forwards.

I had a few ideas for character specific items, such as you see in Mario Kart Double Dash. One of Shulk's items could be Monado Buster, which visually extends the sword's beam (the blue flame) and makes it go extremely fast. While the Monado art is in use, the insignia for it appears in the front wheel. Another thought I had for items is Monado Shield, which creates the same graphic from Xenoblade around your bike, shielding you from one enemy attack for the time it is in use. This item would be especially useful in first place, with risk of blue shells (which would still be in this game).

As for other thoughts for this game, Kirby would obviously be in and riding on his warpstar. His items could be some of the enemies he faces, and when used he sucks up the enemy and gains its power. Kirby's special items could work similarly to how they work in Kirby Air Ride. Link would also need to be in the game, and one of his special items could be the bombchu – similar to the green shell but explosive. In terms with other characters, the options are plentiful. Honestly, it would be a really cool game that I hope to see released some day.
Don't be silly. That'll never happen!

he'll be in Juju's buggy, of course. :dazwa:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Not bad, not bad at all... and even possible, I mean, look at dlc characters in Mk8.

Also, does someone has a "good" gif from the loading sceen of xenoblade? (The blue pulsating monado ofc)

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Hey Bronados, the salt is wounding me hard with bleed damage
Ness is really damn annoying for me with the constant usage of his fair
it makes me hate him slightly despite being a Brawl Ness main

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Hey Bronados, the salt is wounding me hard with bleed damage
Ness is really damn annoying for me with the constant usage of his fair
it makes me hate him slightly despite being a Brawl Ness main
Doesn't Shulk's fair outspace his? If it doesn't abuse the like 2 foot mile range of bair. Unless you mean his dthrow > fair combos, then I'm really feeling your pain

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Doesn't Shulk's fair outspace his? If it doesn't abuse the like 2 foot mile range of bair. Unless you mean his dthrow > fair combos, then I'm really feeling your pain
I wish I could explain further in detail but I was too salty too remember and didn't want to save my replay

All I know is that the second I got caught in his fair, it managed to do so in succession thrice

The fact that the player taunted too made me die a little inside

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I wish I could explain further in detail but I was too salty too remember and didn't want to save my replay

All I know is that the second I got caught in his fair, it managed to do so in succession thrice

The fact that the player taunted too made me die a little inside
Triple Fair from Ness (or as my friend calls it, "The Tickle") is not guaranteed unless you VI towards him i think. You have to VI away if he gets you with fair.

I don't fight that much Ness players :|

Oh and, I'm gonna go on some matches on friday against some players. Idk if they're good or not. They seemed confident but er... I'm not sure. What should I do?

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Play Rosaluma and win every game

Play Shulk, Ike or Marth and spam down-b

Play Palutena and dash attack for days

Pick Battlefield and go Shulk. His absurd range and strong vertical game will work well on this stage, I promise. Prism Tower isn't a bad choice either but it's a bit wide meaning your Visions won't knock back as far.

And yes, Vision is your key to victory against a lot of players. I personally don't like using the move at all and save it for only desperate circumstances but in the case they're a heckuva lot better than you, learn their playstyle and counter.

(Not joking about Palutena's DA though... it literally has the highest priority of any neutral in the game iirc)

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Play Rosaluma and win every game

Play Shulk, Ike or Marth and spam down-b

Play Palutena and dash attack for days

Pick Battlefield and go Shulk. His absurd range and strong vertical game will work well on this stage, I promise. Prism Tower isn't a bad choice either but it's a bit wide meaning your Visions won't knock back as far.

And yes, Vision is your key to victory against a lot of players. I personally don't like using the move at all and save it for only desperate circumstances but in the case they're a heckuva lot better than you, learn their playstyle and counter.

(Not joking about Palutena's DA though... it literally has the highest priority of any neutral in the game iirc)
It doesn't have something to do with priority. She just blocks with the tiny shield. That's pretty much all to that.

And Vision is very strong. We have probably the best counter in the game, it lasts longer, it hit's wider, and it can be used in addition to monado arts, which can make a jump/speed counter pretty viable. But counter too often, and you'll get thrown all day.
I for excample have just used throw and dash attack against an counter spamming shulk. It actually was quite fun, leading him with fireballs into my range...

Edit: I played good ol Weegee.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
For the past few hours I tried something new with online play, and I feel safe to say that the results a great. What I found is I play Shulk so much better when I turn off Smash's music, plug in my headphones to my laptop, and play intense Xenoblade music. The difference is huge! With the Xenoblade music playing, I am much more inspired and ready to kick ass. It also keeps me in a good mood, even if the opponent is a total ass.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
For the past few hours I tried something new with online play, and I feel safe to say that the results a great. What I found is I play Shulk so much better when I turn off Smash's music, plug in my headphones to my laptop, and play intense Xenoblade music. The difference is huge! With the Xenoblade music playing, I am much more inspired and ready to kick ***. It also keeps me in a good mood, even if the opponent is a total ***.
I do something similar. I just turn off "music" in the options sections, since hearing character sounds like monado art switching is still quite helpful for me, especially if i have to switch in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
My new training schedule:

Monado Mondays - :4shulk:

No-Tip Tuesday - :4lucina:

Waka-Waka Wednesday - :4pacman:

Toony Thursday - :4tlink::4kirby:

Flightless Friday - :4darkpit::4pit:

Spinball Saturday - :4sonic:

Spiritual Sunday - :4palutena:

Also I'm so tired of Cap. Falcons win screen. DX

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So, i just watched Episode 40 of Chugga's LP and saw Prison ISland. I gotta say, i thought it would be longer, and the info dump wouldve been longer, but i still thought it was incredible. The feeels, and
DAT MONADO II, HECK YES THAT'S AWESOME! Someone needs to make a Monado II Mod for Shulk when SMash 4 gets hacks, and give him High Entia gear or something.

Also, WHAT THE F***, THAT WAS FIORA? O_O I didn't see that coming.

Also, i get the feeling Zanza's not dead. MElia probably was right that there's a better reason that he was locked up, and to only introduce him for the purpose of saying who made the Monado, and give the Monado an upgrade to make Metal Face defeatable, then to just kill him off, that's too sudden, especially for a game that's supposed to be super complex story wise like Xenoblade is. I mean, HE MADE THE FREAKING MONADO, there's no way this is the end of his role. I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom