• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Well, this prolly doesn't belong in this threat, so I'll make it short...

Xenoblade Chronicles VS Xenoblade Chronicles X

I must say, I enjoyed BOTh of them. Yet it's clear that they have different strong points, like the music is better at the original, the combat/UI/KI is simply better at XcX, and so on.
But, storywise...
XcX spoiler.
Xenoblade had such an epic story, closure, ect. The storytelling and how the people acted was nice, real, and felt fleshed out.
In XcX we got character who majorly either were dumb, so elma can explain, or were against something, till elma explained.
So much in character development is even kinda forcefeeding a message, or spend on jokes of tatsu being a meal...
And the open end just gave me the rest. I'll wait quite a bit before I play XcX again.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
@those that game approach advice:

Thanks. I really need to get into the swing of being able to MALLC reliably. I can kind of get it with bair, but probably 50/50 on accuracy. Speed walking is something I need to get into, good to know spaced dtilt is safe.

Tomahawking is tricking someone into thinking I'm doing one thing and doing another, right? So in this case, jumping in for nair, but landing and grabbing instead?

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Corrin.. With that immense range, could he outclass shulk as a spacie? He seems to have low ending lag, too.

This could be a volatile matchup for us, TBH

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick question. Is my avatar doing more damage then my skell normal? I have both my avatar and my skell all decked out, so it feels weird that that a human does more damage then a giant robot.
Also I hate the level requirement to start the next story quest. If I'm underleveled then so be it. If I need to i'll grind. If not then i'll beat the game underleveled. Oh well. Its not that much of a problem.

Edit: For you guys that haven't done the affinity mission BFF's, don't do it. I almost lost 40+ hours in this game because of that mission. There is a glitch in that mission that basically halts any and all story progression. And when the glitch happens, theres NO fixing it without deleting file. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I think Corrin is going to pose a problem for us regardless of whether the majority of his moves outrange Shulk's or not. If he has actual frame data and can at least contend with Shulk's range, this matchup is going to be a nightmare. Kinda like the Cloud vs Shulk matchup.

D

Deleted member

Edit: For you guys that haven't done the affinity mission BFF's, don't do it. I almost lost 40+ hours in this game because of that mission. There is a glitch in that mission that basically halts any and all story progression. And when the glitch happens, theres NO fixing it without deleting file. Just a heads up.
Really? I did that mission a long time ago and I've completed it...
What is this glitch, how do you do it, and what does it do?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE!

AGAINST THE ODDS!

WII CHOOSE TO FIGHT!

BLOSSOM DANCE!

I must say, I enjoyed BOTh of them. Yet it's clear that they have different strong points, like the music is better at the original, the combat/UI/KI is simply better at XcX, and so on.
But, storywise...
XcX spoiler.
Xenoblade had such an epic story, closure, ect. The storytelling and how the people acted was nice, real, and felt fleshed out.
In XcX we got character who majorly either were dumb, so elma can explain, or were against something, till elma explained.
So much in character development is even kinda forcefeeding a message, or spend on jokes of tatsu being a meal...
And the open end just gave me the rest. I'll wait quite a bit before I play XcX again.
I agree with this. XCX was a lot of fun, I have a ton of hours in it and I'll be putting some more in, after taking a break since I beat it.
Also it totes belongs in this thread, it's a social!​

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

But, storywise...
XcX spoiler.
This is a social so yea, I guess it belongs. A bit late but I do agree on most points.

The main storyline of Xenoblade Chronicles X suffers due to the format they laid out. The story missions are only in chapters, and despite all the world building in side quests and other characters in affinity missions, it is not referenced. The 4th character has no lines in story quests standing super far away, awkwardly. Character development is also pretty much isolated to the affinity missions. Another side effect is most cutscenes are of people standing and talking xD, less action cutscenes that the original had (I typically don't mind but still we only had 2-3 epic scenes -_-).

Interesting characters like L are not fleshed out and some look like they had more planned content in the game before it wasn't added.

The closure is pretty open leaving tons of sequel hooks, in the main ending as well as in many normal missions. There are many references to the original making this game seem like a "after thousands of years" sequel in many people's eyes.

I still like the affinity missions and a lot of the basic missions which have ramifications or help change the world of NLA. That is where many awesome parts of the story lie in my opinion.

The ending was definitely interesting though and the series definitely has potential in the future.

I still think you should try the endgame content. A few interesting quests here and there, plus 2-3 affinity missions which only unlock postgame. And you can now try super skells and super weapons.

Just a quick question. Is my avatar doing more damage then my skell normal? I have both my avatar and my skell all decked out, so it feels weird that that a human does more damage then a giant robot.
Also I hate the level requirement to start the next story quest. If I'm underleveled then so be it. If I need to i'll grind. If not then i'll beat the game underleveled. Oh well. Its not that much of a problem.
It is possible to outdo a skell in the damage departments at earlier levels and even at higher levels with super skells if you do unlimited overdrive lock. Although it is pretty hard to match the defensive capabilities of your skell. They have just normally impossible to reach levels of armour and evasion (light skells for the latter).

Seriously? There is a game-breaking glitch/bug in that mission? That is the first time I have heard of it to be honest. What happened?

Last edited:

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
I just googled around a bit. This seems to be the glitch. I also found a GameFAQs post that a describes a glitch in the 'Blitzkrieg' quest that was fixed by completing another unrelated quest

As a side note, I guess it's because of the online stuff that there isn't multiple save slots? There's bound to be some glitches in these enormous games so save slots would be nice :\

Last edited:

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
So, this is kind of off topic, but I'm starting to fall in love with the NLA themes. The fact that they're so silly, and the fact that I've heard it so many times, makes me kind of happy to go to NLA and wander around. It's like, ingrained in my mind. And, I can always sing along, that's a plus. :p

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
So, this is kind of off topic, but I'm starting to fall in love with the NLA themes. The fact that they're so silly, and the fact that I've heard it so many times, makes me kind of happy to go to NLA and wander around. It's like, ingrained in my mind. And, I can always sing along, that's a plus. :p
Yea I came to like them a lot funnily enough.

I truly can't really (and don't want to xD) compare the original Xenoblade and XCX's soundtrack since they are so different and try to give different atmospheres.

I just googled around a bit. This seems to be the glitch. I also found a GameFAQs post that a describes a glitch in the 'Blitzkrieg' quest that was fixed by completing another unrelated quest

As a side note, I guess it's because of the online stuff that there isn't multiple save slots? There's bound to be some glitches in these enormous games so save slots would be nice :\
I have encountered a few glitches with cutscenes not loading but it is quite nice that XCX is free of a lot of glitches often commonplace in open world games.

This is the first major glitch I have heard about to be honest.

Last edited:

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
I truly can't really (and don't want to xD) compare the original Xenoblade and XCX's soundtrack since they are so different and try to give different atmospheres.
Oh yeah, they are completely different. I do like that XCX's soundtrack feels kind of silly at times. Especially the rap during the regular battle theme. It makes the game much more fun.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yea I came to like them a lot funnily enough.

I have encountered a few glitches with cutscenes not loading but it is quite nice that XCX is free of a lot of glitches often commonplace in open world games.

This is the first major glitch I have heard about to be honest.
What I find really impressive is how little invisible walls there are. If there's a spot on a rock it looks like you can stand on, chances are you can. And then scale it.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
I'm really enjoying xenoblade, the mechanics kind of remind me of FFXII. got all the available sidequests done in colony 9 and teprah cave before getting the monado

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
This is a social so yea, I guess it belongs. A bit late but I do agree on most points.

The main storyline of Xenoblade Chronicles X suffers due to the format they laid out. The story missions are only in chapters, and despite all the world building in side quests and other characters in affinity missions, it is not referenced. The 4th character has no lines in story quests standing super far away, awkwardly. Character development is also pretty much isolated to the affinity missions. Another side effect is most cutscenes are of people standing and talking xD, less action cutscenes that the original had (I typically don't mind but still we only had 2-3 epic scenes -_-).

Interesting characters like L are not fleshed out and some look like they had more planned content in the game before it wasn't added.

The closure is pretty open leaving tons of sequel hooks, in the main ending as well as in many normal missions. There are many references to the original making this game seem like a "after thousands of years" sequel in many people's eyes.

I still like the affinity missions and a lot of the basic missions which have ramifications or help change the world of NLA. That is where many awesome parts of the story lie in my opinion.

The ending was definitely interesting though and the series definitely has potential in the future.

I still think you should try the endgame content. A few interesting quests here and there, plus 2-3 affinity missions which only unlock postgame. And you can now try super skells and super weapons.

It is possible to outdo a skell in the damage departments at earlier levels and even at higher levels with super skells if you do unlimited overdrive lock. Although it is pretty hard to match the defensive capabilities of your skell. They have just normally impossible to reach levels of armour and evasion (light skells for the latter).

Seriously? There is a game-breaking glitch/bug in that mission? That is the first time I have heard of it to be honest. What happened?
Well. I got to the part that's broken and tired looking around for a while to get the next part of the mission. I couldn't find it so I looked it up, and the first thing I saw was like. "PSA Xenoblade Chronicles X BFF affinity game breaking glitch" or something like that. I read the article and luckly, because of me always forgetting to save my games a lot, I was about to lose like 2 hours instead of 50+ hours. It really sucks still, because I was grinding for those 2 hours that I lost. Dumb level requirements. Welp. I'm glad you guys now know about this issue. The article I saw is on Purenintendo.com which claims to have a way to beat the mission by doing things a bit out of order, but I'm not trying it. I'm staying away from that affinity mission.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well. I got to the part that's broken and tired looking around for a while to get the next part of the mission. I couldn't find it so I looked it up, and the first thing I saw was like. "PSA Xenoblade Chronicles X BFF affinity game breaking glitch" or something like that. I read the article and luckly, because of me always forgetting to save my games a lot, I was about to lose like 2 hours instead of 50+ hours. It really sucks still, because I was grinding for those 2 hours that I lost. Dumb level requirements. Welp. I'm glad you guys now know about this issue. The article I saw is on Purenintendo.com which claims to have a way to beat the mission by doing things a bit out of order, but I'm not trying it. I'm staying away from that affinity mission.
I think I dodged a bullet myself haha. I did it real long ago and had no problems so yea... Thanks for the warning though, I told my sister about it. It would have sucked for her if she had encountered considering she often saves during missions.

Although I might have lost more progress than 2 hours since I used to save super rarely, like twice a day or just after a story chapter. Oh well done with all affnity missions myself. Although I don't think you can avoid that mission for long since it is actually mandatory for opening up an Arms Manufacturer as well as for many future affinity missions.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I've beaten chapter 5 and I'm wondering if there's a way to get on the Ma-non ship, or do I have to wait for flying skells?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So I've beaten chapter 5 and I'm wondering if there's a way to get on the Ma-non ship, or do I have to wait for flying skells?
When you look at the blade tower, on the left is some greenish crystal. It's the teleporter.

Also, I really reccomend getting as soon as you get the skell, ALL Probes in oblivia planted, except the one on the floating piece of... well, the rock. And the one off at the floating island.

Oh, and for people who saw the ending:
Oblivia very likely has a "sunken" land part thingy, hinting in different quests at it, and the strange great rings there. So... easy dlc fodder. Let's hope for the best.

ALSO, I love the L is Lucifer, and Mira is purgatory theory.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
When you look at the blade tower, on the left is some greenish crystal. It's the teleporter.

Also, I really reccomend getting as soon as you get the skell, ALL Probes in oblivia planted, except the one on the floating piece of... well, the rock. And the one off at the floating island.

Oh, and for people who saw the ending:
Oblivia very likely has a "sunken" land part thingy, hinting in different quests at it, and the strange great rings there. So... easy dlc fodder. Let's hope for the best.

ALSO, I love the L is Lucifer, and Mira is purgatory theory.
In regards to your spoiler thing:

There are so many possible theories the game community has come up with.

Some say that Mira is the planet at the end of the original Xenoblade because Alvis took Shulk's words pretty seriously (him wanting to meet all alien races) which causes Mira to attract all aliens, act as translation filter and prevent many from leaving.

Also some think that the twist at the ending makes the protag, the biggest anomaly among all the citizens of Mira since his/her lack of memories now seems really odd. Some say we are Mira's agent for bringing all the races together (I personally like this one).

L being Lucifer was pretty speculatory since the start since his name is an anagram for Lucifer. Not to mention the artbook has him with a demonic form. I still love the alien though, especially since he doesn't get in the "whey" xD

And the sequel hooks everywhere, especially in post game content.

I just learned today that I made a huge mistake by ignoring Elma's skills -_- Ghostfactory is OP and I just realized that.... Killed a level 92 boss, on foot solo, with it!

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I just learned today that I made a huge mistake by ignoring Elma's skills -_- Ghostfactory is OP and I just realized that.... Killed a level 92 boss, on foot solo, with it!
Oh yeah. Ghostfactory is REALLY op.
Put H.B. as Tank with Last stand and gunforce in it, and you got yourself a solid party.
... and his two taunts. Heck, he is better on foot than in my Lv 50 skell right now...

Also...
I didn't even though of the memory loss till now, that's a PRETTY good point, yeah.

Last edited:
I think Corrin is going to pose a problem for us regardless of whether the majority of his moves outrange Shulk's or not. If he has actual frame data and can at least contend with Shulk's range, this matchup is going to be a nightmare. Kinda like the Cloud vs Shulk matchup.
It's also the reason why I'm probably switching to her :D

About Cloud (been playing this match-up for a long while now since I bought the DLC)

Shulk's u-tilt is really useful in the Cloud vs Shulk match-up. My MAIN gripe with Cloud though is his n-air because it's so ****ing good. It's literally the n-air that I want for Shulk. That's pretty much the only aerial I'm concerned about really, f-air comes out really slowly (frame 18), d-air can be dealt with by using u-tilt, b-air is kind of like Ike's but I think it has better range overall. U-air becomes stupid though when you're above Cloud... which reminds me, never stay above Cloud. His u-air is STUPID. He can combo into u-air so easily and it deals so much damage, but for as long as you try not to stay above Cloud too much, it's not really something you should worry about at the neutral but respect his u-air anyway. It beats air dodging anyway so yeah, this move is kinda brain dead tbh. Shulk's b-air, u-tilt, and f-air are pretty much his options against Cloud at the neutral because all 3 of them can fair well against Cloud's sword. Idk about n-air though because it comes out too slowly (frame 13 from behind) and it can probably get outranged by Cloud's f-air and n-air. You can't exactly go up close against Cloud because of his jab being frame 4 (whooooo) so you're forced to maintain distance against him (at that point, it's just n-air you need to worry about). Some Clouds use n-air then auto cancel into d-tilt or jab so it's best to just bait out those 2 attacks instead of contesting n-air. Limit break Cloud is pretty dumb since he becomes really mobile at that point and with that range... well... ****... but the best thing you can do is to force him off the stage and make him waste it on his up B. You'd probably expect me to say something like, "throw him off-stage" and yeah, go for that and exploit his horrible recovery. I guess. Some Clouds though (the smart ones) don't really let that opportunity come that often. Speed and jump art are important in this match-up. The combos that those 2 arts have usually have the Cloud end up off-stage or at least near it.

Yeah, that's about all I have. Huge IMO disclaimer though with that wall of text. I envy Cloud and all his moves :T

He's so good. Lol.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
It's also the reason why I'm probably switching to her :D

About Cloud (been playing this match-up for a long while now since I bought the DLC)

Shulk's u-tilt is really useful in the Cloud vs Shulk match-up. My MAIN gripe with Cloud though is his n-air because it's so ****ing good. It's literally the n-air that I want for Shulk. That's pretty much the only aerial I'm concerned about really, f-air comes out really slowly (frame 18), d-air can be dealt with by using u-tilt, b-air is kind of like Ike's but I think it has better range overall. U-air becomes stupid though when you're above Cloud... which reminds me, never stay above Cloud. His u-air is STUPID. He can combo into u-air so easily and it deals so much damage, but for as long as you try not to stay above Cloud too much, it's not really something you should worry about at the neutral but respect his u-air anyway. It beats air dodging anyway so yeah, this move is kinda brain dead tbh. Shulk's b-air, u-tilt, and f-air are pretty much his options against Cloud at the neutral because all 3 of them can fair well against Cloud's sword. Idk about n-air though because it comes out too slowly (frame 13 from behind) and it can probably get outranged by Cloud's f-air and n-air. You can't exactly go up close against Cloud because of his jab being frame 4 (whooooo) so you're forced to maintain distance against him (at that point, it's just n-air you need to worry about) It's not a nightmare though, like not Sheik/Sonic bad or anyhting. It's somewhat of a pain doe. Some Clouds use n-air then auto cancel into d-tilt or jab so it's best to just bait out those 2 attacks instead of contesting n-air. Limit break Cloud is pretty dumb since he becomes really mobile at that point and with that range... well... ****... but the best thing you can do is to force him off the stage and make him waste it on his up B. You'd probably expect me to say something like, "throw him off-stage" and yeah, go for that and exploit his horrible recovery. I guess. Some Clouds though (the smart ones) don't really let that opportunity come that often. Speed and jump art are important in this match-up. The combos that those 2 arts have usually have the Cloud end up off-stage or at least near it.

Yeah, that's about all I have. Huge IMO disclaimer though with that wall of text. I envy Cloud and all his moves :T

He's so good. Lol.
Pssssst.
Please don't abandon our Monado boy D:

I-I bet he'll get buffed...! J-just... *cries*

Jokes aside, I'll definitely give Kamui a try aswell, she looks unique and I LOVE fire emblem.
Bayo will be played out of it being my 2nd most anticipated character after Bomberman, and Shulk will always have a place in my heart.

Last edited:
He'll probably get buffed in the next patch

I think? Idk. It's kinda probably tbh but who knows, I guess

D

Deleted member

To be quite honest, Cloud is everything I wished Shulk was. Cloud has a projectile, some mobility, a pretty good air game, and he doesn't suffer from getting combo'd as hard as Shulk; I'm just not the biggest fan of Cloud's recovery. I think that this is the reason why Cloud has been clicking with me so well and he clicked with me as soon as I tried him in a match.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
To be quite honest, Cloud is everything I wished Shulk was. Cloud has a projectile, some mobility, a pretty good air game, and he doesn't suffer from getting combo'd as hard as Shulk; I'm just not the biggest fan of Cloud's recovery. I think that this is the reason why Cloud has been clicking with me so well and he clicked with me as soon as I tried him in a match.
As sad as it all sounds, shulk seems to have lost one of his unique things, his extraordinary range. Cloud AND Corrin at the same time out there, are simply replacing the poor monado boy.
Why is Sakurai doing this...? I mean, it's hard to argue against this stuff, it's just sad that shulk basically will be played less and less. I don't care enough to be upset, I have bayonetta and co after all, but it's still just... sad to see.

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
As sad as it all sounds, shulk seems to have lost one of his unique things, his extraordinary range. Cloud AND Corrin at the same time out there, are simply replacing the poor monado boy.
Why is Sakurai doing this...? I mean, it's hard to argue against this stuff, it's just sad that shulk basically will be played less and less. I don't care enough to be upset, I have bayonetta and co after all, but it's still just... sad to see.
It really is unfortunate. I mean, at this point, it seems like the only reason to use Shulk once Corrin comes out, is his Monado Arts.

Oh yeah, and side taunts. We'll always win the taunt battle. :p

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I will miss playing Xenoblade Chronicles X... Not because I have finished the game but because college is starting again so won't be able to play for a while -_-

Wasn't able to finish my post game content. And I didn't manage to kill the Endbringer either.

Oh well next vacation then.

D

Deleted member

It is sad to see less Shulk players around, but, in all honesty, he's a very difficult character to use (in fact, he's the hardest character to use). You need to use Shulk and only Shulk to even see progress or get results with him. I think this is a major turnoff for other players, especially when not everyone can do MALLC (which is a major part of his metagame).
I hate to say it, but Cloud and maybe Corrin can do what Shulk can do but better. I can see some Shulk mains shift over to them as a result. I hate to be a pessimist, but these things happen often in fighting games.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I'm too much of a Xenoblade fanboy to change mains, but I might pick one up as secondary. Coming from Shulk, I'll already have my spacing game down so I'll have that going for me.

Once they drop, I want to pick up one of Luigi/Cloud/Corrin/Bayonetta.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I'm not going to give Shulk up simply because he is my favorite character to play. His extreme learning curve makes him a very high maintenance character, but it also means it is very satisfying when you find success with him. I used to hold on to the hope that Shulk would be high tier and no one was playing him optimally yet, but now I've kinda figured out that this isn't the case. Unless we get some drastic frame data buffs. We have it better than some other characters, though, and I still think our favorite Monado boy is at least mid tier.

I will say that depending on how good Corrin is, I may switch secondaries. Also Cloud is a lot of fun, even though I absolutely despise fighting against him.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Played against a ZSS player today and lost pretty horribly. He commented that I seemed to be reacting at the right time but because the attacks take so long to come out, ZSS can just run all over Shulk regardless.

Frame buffs pls

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Yeah, I really like Shulk. Even if you can't dual main well with him, I can kinda do it where I live, since the pressure to absolute mastery isn't so high. Heck, Robin is pretty hard too, so I guess I'm coping well. Corrin definitely intrigues me, and I certainly with at least secondary her. That attack fluidity is sooooooo smoooooooth. I think the arts will still keep Shulk interest alive, because that still gives him something no one else has.

Also, Xenoblade spoilers (unrelated to above):
I WAS RIGHT ABOUT METAL FACE! I said in the Discord chat that I thought he had some relation to Mumkhar, way back when I fought Xord, but people said no. Well, seems like I guessed right.

Top Bottom