• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Oh here's another thing I hope for in the next patch: remove Fox's ridiculous jab strings. If they removed Link's jab strings, who is worse than Fox, I'm very confused as to why Fox still has his

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Well actually, Shulk's f-smash has lot of range for a frame 14 kill move now that I think about it.
I mean, technically the actual ranged part doesn't come out until frame 23

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Guys I need help asap. Something weird has happened to me and is causing me to suddenly be really bad at Shulk in Smash4. I hate losing as a character I put so much work into, its flat out insulting to me. So I just want/need some help from other Shulk mains. I'm not sure if its just a bad day, because I have done nothing but play one level in harmoknight and I was so pissed off, and I know that to play Smash4 you need to be calm and collected not enraged. So have you guys even had the same problem with this, or is it just me?

Just stay calm. Try to reflect on what you did, and how you ****ed up. Hit the lab, go training mode. Watch the videos in the Shulk video archive if you need an idea on how to play Shulk properly.

Lastly, just ask us any questions. We're all willing to help!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Just stay calm. Try to reflect on what you did, and how you ****ed up. Hit the lab, go training mode. Watch the videos in the Shulk video archive if you need an idea on how to play Shulk properly.

Lastly, just ask us any questions. We're all willing to help!
Thanks I'm feeling better already. I'd say let me send a video of a few matches but I can't record anything. So if there's anyway around that go ahead and tell me.

And just so you guys understand how bad this sudden wave of **** is ill show my old (before 1.0.8 patch) and my new stats I have now in fg

Old stats 1v1 76% win

New stats 1v1 51% win

Losing that many times to go down 25% is like pouring salt into your eyes while looking at the sun. It HURTS.

On yea it feels awesome being back in smashboards!

Last edited:
Uh my god I love Shulk's f-smash. That **** outranges anything in the game... Except for Shulk's b-air. Now that **** beats everything

Last edited:

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
Thanks I'm feeling better already. I'd say let me send a video of a few matches but I can't record anything. So if there's anyway around that go ahead and tell me.

And just so you guys understand how bad this sudden wave of **** is ill show my old (before 1.0.8 patch) and my new stats I have now in fg

Old stats 1v1 76% win

New stats 1v1 51% win

Losing that many times to go down 25% is like pouring salt into your eyes while looking at the sun. It HURTS.

On yea it feels awesome being back in smashboards!
Happens to the best of us. That happened to me once, but we all have good and bad days. Berserker has the answer pretty much

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Uh my god I love Shulk's f-smash. That **** outranges anything in the game... Except for Shulk's b-air. Now that **** beats everything
Speaking of Shulk epic range. I feel like his range in some attacks have gotten nurfed. Mainly his f-smash, but maybe I'm wrong. Also his B-Air is so good I love it!

Happens to the best of us. That happened to me once, but we all have good and bad days. Berserker has the answer pretty much
Yea that's what I did think it was, but I just needed to calm my crap because when I'm angry you won't like me I play like crap. And by crap I mean No B-Air, n-air, down tilt, up tilt, and mostly smash attacks. When I'm calm I play pretty good because I do more then smash attacks. Anyway I need to thank @ Berserker. Berserker. for telling me to calm down and press on, and on, and on! One more thing ever sense my other post and getting help my win/losde rate whent from 51% to 54% wins.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
except for, like, projectiles lol

Which forward smashes are the farthest reaching in this game, anyway?

:4shulk::4miigun::4megaman::4falcon::4rob:?

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Dang. I'm going to a big regional tomorrow that Ally is confirmed for, and I'm so nervous.
I just want to get out of pools ;_;

If we consider f-smash's 1st hit, and DHD's first hit on f-smash, Mega Man has the longest ranged f-smash then there's Mii Gunner. Shulk's probably 3rd

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
If we consider f-smash's 1st hit, and DHD's first hit on f-smash, Mega Man has the longest ranged f-smash then there's Mii Gunner. Shulk's probably 3rd
Either way dhd, megaman, Shulk, and mii gunner all have some great f-smash range.

And is there a way to combo into Shulks d-air for a meteor smash besides n-air -> d-air because I can't do that in a 1v1 fg match.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mother yesterday: We'll take about that Xeno-thingy you want tommorow
Today: I'm at the gym, wait till I'm back.
Me: PLZ
Also, a friend of mine says I'm not allowed to use Shulk as I don't have Xenoblade. He wouldn't have had the game either had I not told him about it's glory!

DHD's f-smash is kinda bad actually. Start up is waaaay too slow (Frame 17). If you want a point of reference, Shulk's d-smash and u-smash start at frame 18

And, landing f-air in jump art sets up for d-air. I guess

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
DHD's f-smash is kinda bad actually. Start up is waaaay too slow (Frame 17). If you want a point of reference, Shulk's d-smash and u-smash start at frame 18

And, landing f-air in jump art sets up for d-air. I guess
Dhds smashs are all bad.
I'll try the f-air -> d-air combo. Thanks.

Note to self: Smash art against Rosaluma isn't really a good idea in practice. Just stick to buster or speed (idk why I'm coming up with these wild ideas). I remember trying smash art out against Rosaluma but it didn't get me anywhere so um... avoid using Smash art. Yep. Buster art works really well anyway to begin with. Or speed art

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Note to self: Smash art against Rosaluma isn't really a good idea in practice. Just stick to buster or speed (idk why I'm coming up with these wild ideas). I remember trying smash art out against Rosaluma but it didn't get me anywhere so um... avoid using Smash art. Yep. Buster art works really well anyway to begin with. Or speed art
What do you use against a Kirby that takes the Monado arts and chooses buster and spams up tilt? Because speed and shield don't work.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Remember vanilla Shulk isn't all that bad. Some times its just best to stay like that.

Last edited:
What do you use against a Kirby that takes the Monado arts and chooses buster and spams up tilt? Because speed and shield don't work.
Outrange Kirby. His range still sucks. Plus, you know how the arts work and what their weaknesses are. Exploit 'em. Jump Kirby though is dumb but one hit is gonna hurt a lot for Kirby

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hey Shulkboards! The reason I'm not active much right now:
-playing Splatoon - B+ right now from using only the roller (Main abilities: Tenacity, Recon, and Ink Resistance). I am looking forward to Splatfest.
-playing Bravely Default - in Eternia (Tiz is a sword mage ninja!)
-looking for jobs - probably have a good shot at this next one I'll apply for

So yeah
I suppose this was because Rosalina was playing defensively while you were in Smash? Grabs would not be effective because Luma would just hit you, and your other attacks can't do much to her shield because half damage. Hmm. I think Smash is good here only in situations where she isn't on the stage. When she's in the air, recovering, or on higher platforms, there shouldn't be anything wrong with Smash.
Nope

It was confirmed that there were no changes to Shulk this patch
Oo right, I'm going to head over to the patch changes thread right now. I wonder if things are starting to get finished.

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
Tactics for the Roy matchup? For Shulk of course but just some general stuff too? I've been struggling a lot against him.

Tactics for the Roy matchup? For Shulk of course but just some general stuff too? I've been struggling a lot against him.
I haven't really seen much discussion about :4shulk: vs :4feroy:, so I'd like to put just a couple little feelers out. I know it's still rather soon after Roy's release, but I'd like to have at least a little idea what to do when he pops up as an opponent.

I had two matches against Roy this morning, my very first experience fighting Roy in Smash 4. I lost the first by a narrow margin, and won the second somehow even though I died a horrible SD early on in the fight. What I gathered:
In Shulk's favor:
+ Superior range: I had more than one instance in the fight where Roy was sitting there, charging his Neutral B. If I tried to jump in and interrupt, he would instantly let go. However, Shulk's aerials are great for interrupting if you use the tip of the blade. Also, you can stand just outside the range of his B, and connect with FSmash for a satisfying punish.
+ Vision: OK, this is an advantage in a lot of MUs, but I found it particularly effective against most of Roy's edgeguarding options. My opponent seemed somewhat savvy, using some clever tactics, but he seemed very reluctant to chase me off stage for any KOs. (Who can blame him with Roy's recovery?) He often used neutral or up B at the edge of the stage when I was returning, the latter of which was a huge Vision bait. I rarely had difficulty recovering from off stage. JVC also seems to be a risky but highly rewarding option when he uses Neutral B.
+ Strong air game: If you can get Roy off the edge of the stage, Shulk can have some good fun with Roy, especially in Jump mode. Smash seems a little risky here, but a single FAir can make recovery a dream for Roy. My opponent was very on top of his air dodges though, so I didn't really get to do this much in the first match. Shulk's aerials really space out Roy quite well though, especially if you can condition him into shielding or countering, leading to an easy grab.
+ Roy's ending lag: Shulk technically has worse ending lag as far as I can tell, but Roy's dodged attacks were easy to punish in those matches.

Now, in Roy's favor:
- High attack power: Roy really kept me on my toes with how strong his attacks were. I wasn't expecting that level of power going into the MU, and retaliating with Buster only exacerbates the problem unless you make sure not to whiff your attacks or hit his shield. I was already in kill range at about 115%, maybe a little more.
- Strong combo options: Getting caught in Roy's Dancing Blade is a big no-no. I lost the first match because I wasn't cautious enough around that side B. His other specials don't combo too well, but some of his tilt and smash attacks seemed to flow into each other. Also, some of his attacks are multi-hit strikes, like USmash.
- Ground speed: It wasn't a huge problem, but Roy's ground speed kept me on the defensive sometimes. Whenever I whiffed something, Roy wasted no time in rushing in for a punish. He doesn't have Marth's speed, but it felt at least equal to Vanilla Shulk. (Note: I have not examined any frame data, this could be placebo.)

Finally, I'll just say a bit on Monado Arts:
Jump should be used as normal, but I think it's kinda risky at high%s. Roy has a lot of kill options.
Speed seemed useful for the grab game, but it required conditioning to work well. My opponent was quite Counter-happy, and my initial attempts to NAir him backfired until I started mixing in grabs. The lower damage is noticeable though.
Shield... I didn't really use much. Roy usually killed me around 120% or so, well before I consider pulling out Shield. I also SD'd once with an accidental activation.
Buster: a really risky option, considering Roy's already-high power. However, it did help to get him up to kill levels fairly easily.
Smash: Also risky, but no different from the other times it's risky. I liked to use it for chasing off stage.

Overall, I lost the first match due to unfamiliarity with Roy, but the second match was more interesting. I SD'd when Roy was only at 41% on his first stock, yet I managed to come back and win by using all of Shulk's tools. The biggest help was when I activated Buster when Roy was at 50% on his second stock, and landed a long string of attacks. I punished his Neutral B with a FSmash, chased him with a UAir, UTilted him when he was coming back down, altogether getting him around 128% before Buster ran out. That was enough to launch him far enough off stage that he couldn't reach the ledge.

Still, this was only two matches. Feel free to disregard half the stuff here, I'm merely tossing a few ideas out to see if my idea is in the ballpark for those with more experience in this MU.
Not sure about Ryu. Roy MU seems like our favor tbh or it's even. It feels like Falcon vs Shulk sans a stupid dash grab. Buster seems fine for as long as you're spacing correctly, but speed felt like the safest option ofc. Thing with buster is that it was kind of unsafe on hit against Falcon (talking about using f-air on Falcon or possibly n-air if you land the base hit) but Roy isn't as heavy as Falcon so it's definitely safe on hit. Only thing you need to worry about is Roy getting into your zone with buster art. I feel like he's lacking safe options for approaching but idk. I only played 2 sets against a Roy player
From the match-up thread

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
There are some Bravely Default fans here, right? This weekend just gone, I was at a convention and I managed to get Cassandra Morris (Edea's VA) to sign my copy of Bravely Default.
IMAG0562.jpg

Went from there to Smash tourney still in Dunban cosplay so naturally played Dunban colours the whole day. Placed 13th for about the nth consecutive tourney. Just when Power Rankings are on the way, I luck out and consistently drop one below Top 10.
But I've got to say, I had some great battles. And nothing is quite as satisfying as going toe-to-toe with someone who absolutely destroyed you the last time you battled. On stream, no less. I still need to play Smash out of tourneys though.

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
There are some Bravely Default fans here, right? This weekend just gone, I was at a convention and I managed to get Cassandra Morris (Edea's VA) to sign my copy of Bravely Default.

Went from there to Smash tourney still in Dunban cosplay so naturally played Dunban colours the whole day. Placed 13th for about the nth consecutive tourney. Just when Power Rankings are on the way, I luck out and consistently drop one below Top 10.
But I've got to say, I had some great battles. And nothing is quite as satisfying as going toe-to-toe with someone who absolutely destroyed you the last time you battled. On stream, no less. I still need to play Smash out of tourneys though.
Getting one of Bravely Default's VAs to sign your game? You just raised the net worth of that game case by $$$. Too bad it wasn't Agnes' VA...

D

Deleted member

The title kinda made me a bit sad.
I thought Shulk got leaked for some future DLC for FE Fates. :(

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Guys, I'm incredibly open to suggestions for a smart social title :D
You didn't like Xenoblade Chronicles C? Rude. :(

Nice! That's pretty neat.

I want to get the 7 relevant signatures on my Xenoblade OST (Shimomura, ACE+ [Tomori Kudo, CHiCO, Hiramatsu], Kiyota, Yasunori, and Takahashi). Shimomura was actually at a convention near where I live a while back but I wasn't able to go. :(

Top Bottom