• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
Merged two double posts but it's fine anyway :)
Sorry again!

But yeah, no playable Nopon. Grrrr. Nonetheless, I am seriously looking forward to the game! I love that team feature thing so you can create a group where you can do missions together, or talk to each other as you explore. A really nice feature!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Darn it, @Final Smash Gamer . . . Beat me to it. Haha.
Anyway, that's great news to hear. When Takahashi mention that Xenoblade Chronicles was a fantasy setting, and Xenoblade Chronicles X is a Sci-Fi setting to change things up a bit, it makes me wonder what direction him and his team will envision for their next masterpiece. Personally, I adore / prefer the type of a fantasy world that we saw in XC (or that BEAUTIFUL piece of concept art they had for the 3DS), and would love to see a return to that with their newfound HD graphical expereince and everything, but who knows? In all likelihood though, this title is going to probably be released in the second year or so of the NX (assuming it will be launching in 2017 like I assume it will), and to be blunt. . . I'm not so mad about that if so.

Edit: Not that I don't already adore the Xenoblade franchise, but I'd love to see this next game be something new, too!

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Xenoblade Chronicles C coming soon to the Nintendo NX

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
So I have not been participating a lot in the conversation but.....is Xenoblade Chronicles X a direct sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles or like separate thing? Also same question again regarding Xenoblade Chronicles C in regards to X.

I have high expectations from the NX. I really hope it has amazing specs because most companies focus on that these days. Of course, Nintendo should have a feature that differentiates it from its competitors (other than its own 1st party games). As long as the feature doesn't cost the specs of the console to be weaker, the NX should be good

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find the GamePad to be a wasted gimmick. It sounded cool on paper, but I saw no real use for the damn thing other when certain games forced me to use it (like Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker). Complain about the Wii's motion controls, but at least they were used in many capacities.

If Nintendo's NX has a gimmick, great. Let the gimmick be of use, though. If not, I rather the NX to have no gimmick, even if it means we can focus on having a much, much more powerful console.

Also, for the love of god, keep it this name! NX! It's nice, short, sweet, simple! I love it! The Wii U is a horrible name for a console and probably a key reason why the system is failing. Don't give it the Wii moniker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Oh god, they better use NX. I agree, it sounds really cool. The main issues with the Wii U (as a name) are that it was confused as an accessory for the Wii and it was associated with that console. The Wii definitely had some amazing games (Mario Galaxy, SSBB) but as a console, it wasn't that good.

I don't have a Wii U but I've tried using the gamepad. It's a disappointment. Funnily, Fatal Frame 5 is the only game that actually utilizes the controller correctly and creatively... Because the game revolves around using a camera so lol

D

Deleted member

Yes. Oh god, they better use NX. I agree, it sounds really cool. The main issues with the Wii U (as a name) are that it was confused as an accessory for the Wii and it was associated with that console. The Wii definitely had some amazing games (Mario Galaxy, SSBB) but as a console, it wasn't that good.

I don't have a Wii U but I've tried using the gamepad. It's a disappointment. Funnily, Fatal Frame 5 is the only game that actually utilizes the controller correctly and creatively... Because the game revolves around using a camera so lol
The Wii had by far some of the best first party titles. We had Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Wii Sports, Brawl, Skyward Sword, WarioWare, Xenoblade, and more (it also had some 3rd party gems like Sonic Colors and Okami). However, the console was geared towards the more casual market, who had moved on to other devices like mobile phones. Because they thought the Wii U was an add-on, the system started to crash and burn. As a whole, the Wii was just... OK.

At least that actually uses the GamePad with its intended use. Most of the games that I have don't use the GamePad to its fullest potential. The GamePad is just either a controller option or used a part of a level like, "Oh! Touch the screen / blow in the mic to advance!" I appreciate Nintendo is trying to innovate the market, but I don't think the GamePad was the right way to go; in some cases, I could argue that it hindered the system.

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
I completely agree with you guys, however I think that there are some advantages to the Gamepad. Off-screen play can be useful, especially on a shared TV. Some games aren't compatible with this, but the Virtual Console stuff and some of the main games on the Wii U are. The multiplayer games that utilise the Gamepad, such as Nintendo Land, are also very fun.

Off-screen play is definitely cool. It's one of the few good things about the Wii U's concept (which btw, is extremely flawed)

I wonder what type of gimmick Nintendo is thinking for the NX. As much as we fear gimmicks, it's pretty necessary because Nintendo needs some sort of selling point for their new console. Sony did it right with the PS4 with their support for LP's and streamers (which is something Nintendo is adamantly against because they're dumb ****s). They even have a button dedicated for that specific purpose and the console has a lot of features for streaming too.

X1 is probably relevant to what I'm about to say because the console is a flop. The selling point for the console is that it can be used for TV support and that crap. Problem is that it destroys its own identity of it being primarily a gaming console. If it is a gaming console, its main focus should be something that enhances the video gaming experience. X1 is a powerful console, although definitely not as powerful as the PS4 but I bet that even if it were more powerful, it would probably still flop because of its own concept and conflicted design/identity.

I think Nintendo will always stick to messing with the controller but I think they might stick to having an actual controller this time. You know, akin to the Gamecube except with a much more normal layout. They might slap a button or feature on the controller, or something. Or maybe the feature is something within the console itself or the menu interface. Idk. Gonna go off-topic and say that Nintendo's really lucky that Amiibos are such a big hit. So big, it's enough to somewhat compensate the Wii U's failure (because while the 3DS is definitely a successful console, its success wasn't enough to carry the Wii U)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I don't mind the gamepad,but it shouldn't be the main controller of the console. I don't want them to get rid of it because It really useful to me. They should just make it just a side controller. It will annoy me if their next console is not compatible with it, making the game that do use it useless.

D

Deleted member

Off-screen play is definitely cool. It's one of the few good things about the Wii U's concept (which btw, is extremely flawed)

I wonder what type of gimmick Nintendo is thinking for the NX. As much as we fear gimmicks, it's pretty necessary because Nintendo needs some sort of selling point for their new console. Sony did it right with the PS4 with their support for LP's and streamers (which is something Nintendo is adamantly against because they're dumb ****s). They even have a button dedicated for that specific purpose and the console has a lot of features for streaming too.

X1 is probably relevant to what I'm about to say because the console is a flop. The selling point for the console is that it can be used for TV support and that crap. Problem is that it destroys its own identity of it being primarily a gaming console. If it is a gaming console, its main focus should be something that enhances the video gaming experience. X1 is a powerful console, although definitely not as powerful as the PS4 but I bet that even if it were more powerful, it would probably still flop because of its own concept and conflicted design/identity.

I think Nintendo will always stick to messing with the controller but I think they might stick to having an actual controller this time. You know, akin to the Gamecube except with a much more normal layout. They might slap a button or feature on the controller, or something. Or maybe the feature is something within the console itself or the menu interface. Idk. Gonna go off-topic and say that Nintendo's really lucky that Amiibos are such a big hit. So big, it's enough to somewhat compensate the Wii U's failure (because while the 3DS is definitely a successful console, its success wasn't enough to carry the Wii U)
Ugh, don't remind me of their YouTube situation. I have to say that their practices with that are detrimental to the company; LPs help sell games and trying to take revenue from that will result in less people playing the game. This, in turn, will result in less sales for Nintendo's games and consoles. I understand that they need money now, but alienating the fans isn't the right way to go.
I think Nintendo should get with the times and just allow streaming and not take revenue. What Sony did was an extremely smart move.

For a game console, I want to play games. I don't care about watching television or anything like that; if I use my Wii U, I will be playing Smash or Mario, not go on Netflix or watch my own TV or whatever.

That's something that I think they should do from now on. The PS and Xbox controllers are basically updated controllers that evolved over time while Nintendo constantly changes them... I personally think that is a bit annoying. I think that they should stick to having one controller, one that is either the Wii U Pro Controller or preferably the GameCube controller, but it has some added features and buttons. It's really convenient if they did that.
And yeah, the Amiibos are doing quite well. It's just a shame that the supply is low and the demand is high; I bet Nintendo would profit more if they met the point of supply and demand.

You know you want it to happen.
That would be pretty awesome. I am a sucker for crossovers anyway.

I don't mind the gamepad,but it shouldn't be the main controller of the console. I don't want them to get rid of it because It really useful to me. They should just make it just a side controller. It will annoy me if their next console is not compatible with it, making the game that do use it useless.
If they want the NX to be backwards compatible, they will have to do that. If they don't, then some games will either be unplayable or unbeatable.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Yeah. . . I don't mind the GamePad, or the Wii U for that matter, but there are a lot of flaws. As everyone knows and has stated, while having things like maps or equipment screens on the GamePad is cool, it's not really all that unique or even necessary. Most games use it to a point where it's almost null because you could have easily done it without it. Off-TV play is cool at times, but I'm going to be blunt for a moment; How many people actually use it for the case of all that "living room" talk, because myself, people I personally know and 99% of other gamers I converse with online play their game consoles in their room, or alone in the living room, etc. I just hate when things are advertised for living-room play, because it just doesn't seem like the way they intend it really matters much. .. . Also, it's dumb how you need to buy a separate controller for any kind of multiplayer purposes, because you can't use two GamePads on one console, and the thing must be more expensive to manufacture than say, a GCN controller anyways (which by the way, they should go back to if anything. . . Or at least in a modified way. Drop the Wii brand completely, please. No one wants to use Wii remotes anymore).

Another gripe I have been starting to have is Nintendo's pursuit of being "unique". Now don't get me wrong; I am all for individuality, but when it calls for it. I feel like these days, Nintendo is trying /too hard/ to be different, and I don't know if I particularly like that. I think they or their games should be unique because what they envision allows it to be, not because they think of console gimmicks and then have to force a game to be built in some kind of way around that. Like, Mario Galaxy wasn't special because of the Wii or Wii-remote,, for example. . . It was because the team had an incredible vision and delivered upon it with the game and console specs. itself. Forcing Skyward Sword (amongst other questionable design and directive choices, to be sure) into motion controls, while it controlled fine and well for me, was part a detriment to the overall experience too (enemy A.I. needing strategy was flawed, holding your sword up and then slashing was not innovative as a combat maneuver nor puzzle mechanic, etc.). . . I don't know. I just want NX to be a strong console that allows me to hold a controller and play the games that I want to play. Let the game innovate.

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I actually prefer using the GamePad over anything else when I play. That includes Smash. I like bigger controllers. Too use to using things like fightsticks now.

The Wii U gamepad is surprisingly efficient for me when playing Smash Wii U. Probably because it feels the 3DS IMO in terms of button layout.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
So I have not been participating a lot in the conversation but.....is Xenoblade Chronicles X a direct sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles or like separate thing? Also same question again regarding Xenoblade Chronicles C in regards to X.
LOL Xenoblade Chronicles C is a joke

It's because X is 10 in Latin. C is 100 so it's logical progression plus it matches up with the title.

XCX is a spiritual successor to XC. Like how the Final Fantasy games work.

Xenoblade NX

It's a sequel to X because it's basically Xenoblade X with an N added.... and it even has the new console's name on it!

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
What if is Takahashi not working on a Xeno-game? Lol I'm already overhyped about it.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
It's because X is 10 in Latin. C is 100 so it's logical progression plus it matches up with the title.
I thought it was because C was the first letter in the word Chronicles (Xenoblade Chronicles C). Like how X is the first letter in the word Xenoblade (Xenoblade Chronicles X).

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I thought it was because C was the first letter in the word Chronicles (Xenoblade Chronicles C). Like how X is the first letter in the word Xenoblade (Xenoblade Chronicles X).
That's why it's a great title - both reasonings work.

;D

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
I hate the gamepad honestly. I really disliked large controllers ever since that one time I played Halo CE at a friend's house and the only controller left the was the very first iteration of the Original Xbox controller (yes, that huge one). The gamepad is better designed than that, but I still dislike the location of the l 2 and r 2 buttons because its like they are on a slope kinda in relation to the l 1 and r 1 buttons. I'm not sure sure how to describe it.

I just hope the NX can compare to the PS4 and X1. As others have said, gimmicks are alright but only if they don't hinder the console hardware specs. Plus ditching the Wii brand would be for the best. NX is a good name or they could go with the Wii's codename "Revolution". But then people will probably still confuse that with the Wii anyway, so never mind just stick with NX. But they need to put some bold text on the front of the box saying "THIS IS A TOTALLY NEW CONSOLE AND NOT AN ADD-ON FOR THE WII OR WII U" for the people that keep confusing the new Nintendo consoles for some kind of add-on.

Nintendo really needs to keep their hardware specs comparable to their competition. The NX must be near equivalent to PS4 and X1 in terms of specs. What's more when the PS5 and Xbox Next Iteration come out, the console after the NX must be near equivalent to those in terms of specs as well. Otherwise, a large portion of the customer base will keep viewing Nintendo consoles as a joke.

Last edited:

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
I hate the gamepad honestly. I really disliked large controllers ever since that one time I played Halo CE at a friend's house and the only controller left the was the very first iteration of the Original Xbox controller (yes, that huge one). The gamepad is better designed than that, but I still dislike the location of the l 2 and r 2 buttons because its like they are on a slope kinda in relation to the l 1 and r 1 buttons. I'm not sure sure how to describe it.

I just hope the NX can compare to the PS4 and X1. As others have said, gimmicks are alright but only if they don't hinder the console hardware specs. Plus ditching the Wii brand would be for the best. NX is a good name or they could go with the Wii's codename "Revolution". But then people will probably still confuse that with the Wii anyway, so never mind just stick with NX. But they need to put some bold text on the front of the box saying "THIS IS A TOTALLY NEW CONSOLE AND NOT AN ADD-ON FOR THE WII OR WII U" for the people that keep confusing the new Nintendo consoles for some kind of add-on.

Nintendo really needs to keep their hardware specs comparable to their competition. The NX must be near equivalent to PS4 and X1 in terms of specs. What's more when the PS5 and Xbox Next Iteration come out, the console after the NX must be near equivalent to those in terms of specs as well. Otherwise, a large portion of the customer base will keep viewing Nintendo consoles as a joke.
For me, it depends on how each games utilises the gamepad. As I said before, Nintendo Land is such a fun game, and I like how it creates a whole 1 vs 4 or 5 player gameplay in general. It's also really nice for maps, the two that come to my mind first that do this are Xenoblade X and Splatoon. And I suppose in a way, it is useful if you want to access your inventory or something whilst you're doing something else, from my experience the gamepad has been good for that as well. Nintendo were experimenting and trying something new, and there are definitely aspects to be worked on. Most games do offer an alternative controller option anyway. But I completely agree with you on the specs.

Edit: Think about it this way, each console has to have something that differentiates itself from the other competitors. The gamepad was the stand out obvious aspect of the Wii U. Was it successful? Yes and no. There are a variety of good and bad things about it.

Last edited:
3DS will always be the best

Whether it's XL or not

Whether it's *New* or not

Best portable console ever imo

D

Deleted member

AAAAAAAAAAAAND I've just managed to get spoiled with Xenoblade X's story.

Dammit...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shutting myself off from every single content leaked from Xenoblade X

Preoccupying myself with Smash, anime, and sitcoms

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
I know nothing about the story. But the soundtrack was just too good to leave alone and I've just seen the clips from the directs. Other than that, I know nothing. Jon Snow.

Top Bottom