• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

D

Deleted member

Dunban > Shulk > Seven (also my main team lol) > Reyn > Melia = Riki > Sharla

I love everyone though; loved Xenoblade's cast.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Who's your favorite Xenoblade character?

Despite using a Melia alt, my favorite character is Shulk. Then it's either Melia or Riki, but probably Melia.
My favorite Xenoblade character would have to be Egil. I felt like he had the best reason to fight out of everyone. That and I think he has the best quotes as well.

I like Seven too. Not only is that scene with Lady Meyneth one of my favorites, but I think Seven has the most potential as a Smash character.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Sharla's my favorite cause no one uses her. .3.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
And how do you guys think about the link matchup?
Projectile-user, so not ideal for Shulk. Lots of Speed with run/shielding the projectiles, a bit of Jump. Watch out if you're on a platform about him. He's pretty good at keeping you away so don't let your guard down, I guess.

I've fought enough of him not to be too scared anymore. When he's charging the arrow you can either run/shield/run or just make the aerial approach while he's charging. Be wary of the Gale Boomerang. If you approach from above, watch out for utilt/usmash. Pretty sure Shulk's utilt >Link's dair, just don't screw up. I think nair beats his projectiles but can't remember.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman

Despite using a Melia alt, my favorite character is Shulk. Then it's either Melia or Riki, but probably Melia.
That is a really difficult question to answer without the answer being "All of the main characters", but i say Melia, Shulk or Seven. One of those 3.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646

Riki = Melia > Shulk > Dunban > Seven > Reyn > Sharla for party

for all:
Riki = Melia > Shulk > Dunban = Alvis > Dickson > Kallian > Egil > Vangarre > Fiora > Zanza = Miqol > Linada > Sorean > Vanea > Dunga > Reyn = Mumkhar > Sharla > Lorithia

Didn't include Tyrea because I haven't seen her backstory sidequest yet.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Riki = Melia > Shulk > Dunban > Seven > Reyn > Sharla for party

for all:
Riki = Melia > Shulk > Dunban = Alvis > Dickson > Kallian > Egil > Vangarre > Fiora > Zanza = Miqol > Linada > Sorean > Vanea > Dunga > Reyn = Mumkhar > Sharla > Lorithia

Didn't include Tyrea because I haven't seen her backstory sidequest yet.
I can kinda agree to your list for the most part, but the reason i don't have Riki at the top is because at first i thought he was annoying AT FIRST, i love him know but AT FIRST i didn't like him.

D

Deleted member

My favorite Xenoblade character, and really my second favorite video game character, is Shulk. I think most of you knew that during speculation. :p
It goes by this for me:
Shulk > Melia > Riki > Dunban > Reyn > Seven > Sharla

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
I've let this be known much in the past here in this thread, but Egil is easily my favorite character overall. Afterwards, probably Dunban and Shulk.

Edit: Also, it is almost June! That means it is almost E3, and presumably a release date for our XCX!

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
:link:
I've let this be known much in the past here in this thread, but Egil is easily my favorite character overall. Afterwards, probably Dunban and Shulk.

Edit: Also, it is almost June! That means it is almost E3, and presumably a release date for our XCX!
I can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X to come out!!! :yeahboi:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've been putting off progressing through Xenoblade. I haven't had much time or motivation lately.

And what time I do decide to game has been Smash, but at least my Shulk game is improving.

Favorite characters, in order:

Shulk ~ Fiora ~ Meilia ~ Dunban ~ Reyn ~ Riki ~ Sharla

Probably.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Damn. I just played a bit too long splatoon, aaand today I probably train MALLC.
Hard as f***.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I listed my favorite characters, not much of a spoiler.

Your edit of my post and the mention of that other character is more of a spoiler.
The character is normaly refered to seven, which is... why I refered to it as a spoiler. And it is only more of a spoiler, if your own post stays unedited, but I guess you got a point there... So I simply removed my post.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The character is normaly refered to seven, which is... why I refered to it as a spoiler. And it is only more of a spoiler, if your own post stays unedited, but I guess you got a point there... So I simply removed my post.
[collapse=Actual spoilers]
So what, Fiora pre-Machina can't be a favorite character? Shouldn't the assumption be "oh, he likes Fiora," and not "he said Fiora, someone might figure out she's really Seven even though nothing in the post indicates it in the slightest!"
[/collapse]

Seven is a cool dude too.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I like how no one recognizes that there are other characters than the main party in Xenoblade.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Dundun->Shulk->Alvis->Dickson->Seven->Egil->Sorean->Arglas->Kallian->Vangarre->Riki->Reyn->Everyone else I feel neutral towards->Sharla->Melia for me.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
[collapse=Actual spoilers]
So what, Fiora pre-Machina can't be a favorite character? Shouldn't the assumption be "oh, he likes Fiora," and not "he said Fiora, someone might figure out she's really Seven even though nothing in the post indicates it in the slightest!"
[/collapse]

Seven is a cool dude too.
Eh, the problem is how high a character that dies in the first hour of gameplay is on some lists... and it hints on possbile ways of bringing her back and the likes. Atleast I got spoilered like this...
On other note... what are you thinking of shulks place in the metagame? MALLC is a pretty strong technique, but his framedata might drag him down again...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Eh, the problem is how high a character that dies in the first hour of gameplay is on some lists... and it hints on possbile ways of bringing her back and the likes. Atleast I got spoilered like this...
On other note... what are you thinking of shulks place in the metagame? MALLC is a pretty strong technique, but his framedata might drag him down again...
[collapse=]
Aerith lives.

She made a strong impression on me in the beginning of the game, you could say I was really feeling Shulk's plight.

I guess you could see it that way, but I was just thinking "I liked this character for the short time I had her."
Of course, also once I got her back, but you wouldn't know that just going into the game.
[/collapse]
I don't know a thing about competitive play, never even bothered to learn MALLC. I just have a fun time with Shulk.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
mid-high. Frame data is too essential in a game like Sm4sh (look at Diddy, Sheik, Luigi, Mario, and the usefulness of frame 3 aerials like Yoshi and Villager's nairs) but the Monado Art mixups/tech and his range allow him to continue to stay relevant.

I totally agree with the video posted on the front page, actually.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I love how your spoiler discussion is the most spoiler-y thing there. It implies that there's something there to spoil. I really just want to put like 5-6 comments under one spoiler tag :laugh:
I have a National Smash event coming up, I have about 3 months to learn:
- MALLC
- Perfect pivoting
- Not getting shield-grabbed
- A hell of a lot of matchup practise
- Probably a secondary character, just so I have the option if I can't handle them with Shulk.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I love how your spoiler discussion is the most spoiler-y thing there. It implies that there's something there to spoil. I really just want to put like 5-6 comments under one spoiler tag :laugh:
I have a National Smash event coming up, I have about 3 months to learn:
- MALLC
- Perfect pivoting
- Not getting shield-grabbed
- A hell of a lot of matchup practise
- Probably a secondary character, just so I have the option if I can't handle them with Shulk.
Well, then let me get you a time planner.
1 Month for MALLC.
Perfect pivoting could be learned with MALLC, so I'd say 1 week tops?
Not getting shield-grabbed => MALLC invinsibility frames and proper spacing help A LOT, you can punish their grab game so hard. Probably in this month of MALLC.
Match-up Practise can be done in 2 Weeks I guess...
A secondary character? You should be able to find one during your match-up practise, so another week.

1 Month and 4 weeks (so... 2 month's?) Should be fine.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I also forgot - B-Reversing. Doesn't sound hard to do, I just know I accidentally did it once and it totally saved me from an up-smash.

That actually sounds pretty good though. Aside from the matchup practise, because I need to get with people in-person (my net is baaaaaad). Maybe I'll go and harass the other character threads so I can at least get some theory on their strategy. The rest is doable though.

As for a secondary it's Palutena for now, but she suffers against the same fast characters that Shulk does - especially while this event is still up-in-the-air about customs. More inclined to take her seriously as another main if my area becomes more open to customs. Otherwise I always have a hell of a lot of fun running around and punching things as Captain Falcon. Think I prefer him to ZSS and Sheik. So I'm thinking either him or maybe Mario or Luigi, but I probably need to learn which kinds of characters I have problems with, other than just general "fast guys and some of the ones with projectiles".

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I also forgot - B-Reversing. Doesn't sound hard to do, I just know I accidentally did it once and it totally saved me from an up-smash.

That actually sounds pretty good though. Aside from the matchup practise, because I need to get with people in-person (my net is baaaaaad). Maybe I'll go and harass the other character threads so I can at least get some theory on their strategy. The rest is doable though.

As for a secondary it's Palutena for now, but she suffers against the same fast characters that Shulk does - especially while this event is still up-in-the-air about customs. More inclined to take her seriously as another main if my area becomes more open to customs. Otherwise I always have a hell of a lot of fun running around and punching things as Captain Falcon. Think I prefer him to ZSS and Sheik. So I'm thinking either him or maybe Mario or Luigi, but I probably need to learn which kinds of characters I have problems with, other than just general "fast guys and some of the ones with projectiles".
Before you search for something that counters and does well... play as every character yourself. Just do allstar on hard with every character, once you did that, you practically are good to go, from match-up, predicting your enemy, and getting a feel which character are good against what.

It's only a start, I did this with every character, just winning in online mode, but... as you said, your inet is bad.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Before you search for something that counters and does well... play as every character yourself. Just do allstar on hard with every character, once you did that, you practically are good to go, from match-up, predicting your enemy, and getting a feel which character are good against what.

It's only a start, I did this with every character, just winning in online mode, but... as you said, your inet is bad.
I've been religiously playing Smash since about 2000, so I already have a decent idea of what everyone does. But since I haven't looked into most of the cast in much competitive depth, I think this would be a good idea. Should definitely tell me who I like, at least.

@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU This guide is pretty helpful for perfect pivot practicing

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2vbver/nearly_fool_proof_way_to_learn_perfect_pivots/

Also, try attending Australia local scenes, I know they exist due to like BAM7 and other stuff that went on recently. You could try asking around the AUS boards to see if there are any locals near you, would help a lot for doing stuff in practice and getting MU knowledge and whatever

also who pranked you lol
That guide does look pretty good - I was planning to do something similar with the Training Mode speeds. Though I guess it's more pronounced on other characters so it might be a good idea to try it with someone like Luigi and then re-learn the distances when I can adapt to using it with Shulk. I guess the next step, when it comes to applying it, would be trying to relentlessly abuse it against CPUs. Not really because you want to play like that, but because it'll teach me when it will/won't work, and should hopefully make it so that when I do want to pull it off, I won't screw it up.

With the local scene, yeah, I've actually been TOing for one of the regions on roughly a fortnightly basis since March and attending since October :laugh: so yeah, I'm on top and that, and it's really the only place where I'm getting my practise. (BAM7 sounded hype as hell. I would've gone, but travel + not being a Smash ace just yet means it probably wouldn't have been worth it.) Anyway, part of the problem is that because I'm sitting behind a laptop with TO stuff open 80% of the time, I don't get the chance to play many friendlies between my own matches. I'm certainly one of the more solid players, but often get knocked out simply by being unable to put theory into practise. Last time I beat one of the top guys who was Link, then he swapped to (post-patch) Diddy Kong. I knew "don't get grabbed, don't get hit by the bananas", and I proceeded to spend the rest of the match eating bananas and grab combos. Somehow I've only ever fought one other competitive Diddy, so I didn't really know how to get around it.
Anyway, closer to this big event, I'll probably see if I can organise for the venue to hold some more events so people can practise. Or at least get together with some of the competitive people I've befriended. I'm sure I won't be the only one wanting to get some offline time in.

As for the pranking, DUDE I HAVE NO IDEA. For one, I don't even know how pranking works on this site. But I've decided that whoever it was, this prank was either incredibly good or incredibly bad, because I don't even know who or what it was that made it happen.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
With the local scene, yeah, I've actually been TOing for one of the regions on roughly a fortnightly basis since March and attending since October :laugh: so yeah, I'm on top and that, and it's really the only place where I'm getting my practise. (BAM7 sounded hype as hell. I would've gone, but travel + not being a Smash ace just yet means it probably wouldn't have been worth it.) Anyway, part of the problem is that because I'm sitting behind a laptop with TO stuff open 80% of the time, I don't get the chance to play many friendlies between my own matches. I'm certainly one of the more solid players, but often get knocked out simply by being unable to put theory into practise. Last time I beat one of the top guys who was Link, then he swapped to (post-patch) Diddy Kong. I knew "don't get grabbed, don't get hit by the bananas", and I proceeded to spend the rest of the match eating bananas and grab combos. Somehow I've only ever fought one other competitive Diddy, so I didn't really know how to get around it.
Anyway, closer to this big event, I'll probably see if I can organise for the venue to hold some more events so people can practise. Or at least get together with some of the competitive people I've befriended. I'm sure I won't be the only one wanting to get some offline time in.
You TO? That's pretty neat. TO'ing sounds interesting.
As for the pranking, DUDE I HAVE NO IDEA. For one, I don't even know how pranking works on this site. But I've decided that whoever it was, this prank was either incredibly good or incredibly bad, because I don't even know who or what it was that made it happen.
Also I think Premium members can choose two people to prank every month or something? It's completely anonymous iirc and people can just do it to you because they feel like it. Sometimes they tell whoever they pranked that it was them but sometimes not.

I'm guessing it was a Premium from the Shulk boards.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How dare you people not put the Heropon at first!

Any Shulk mains wanna play?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I would play a few rounds, but my internet connection speed makes people cry.
You TO? That's pretty neat. TO'ing sounds interesting.

Also I think Premium members can choose two people to prank every month or something? It's completely anonymous iirc and people can just do it to you because they feel like it. Sometimes they tell whoever they pranked that it was them but sometimes not.

I'm guessing it was a Premium from the Shulk boards.
I basically live in this thread and one private conversation so I think I could narrow it down if I tried :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would play a few rounds, but my internet connection speed makes people cry.

I basically live in this thread and one private conversation so I think I could narrow it down if I tried :laugh:
WE CAN SURE AS HELL TRY!!!

Top Bottom