• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

For Seven, I kind of didn't see it coming tbh

Metal Face was waaaaaaaaaaaay too obvious. It's so obvious, it can even qualify as a non-spoiler because of how obvious it is anyway in-game

Anyway, you should probably censor the spoilers for the regulars here. Lol

D

Deleted member

I used to use Sharla Shulk then I went for default Shulk because, why not?
My history with Shulk can be described with the same sentence, only with the term "Sharla" replaced with "Melia."

Costumes and palette swaps aside, I find myself playing as Shulk more often than any other character nowadays. Even Link, my former main, has seen less use from me lately. Heck, I've thought about changing my avatar to either Shulk or the Monado (and I have experimented in the past), but everyone here sees me as Fierce Deity Link (and I like this avatar).

Why did you guys see Mumkhar being Metal Face and Fiora coming back as a surprise? It was extremely telegraphed in my opinion. I just don't get why it was praised as a good plot twist. I found it pretty obvious. Sorry, but I'm just confused here.
Shhhhh...

I'll give you Mumkhar since both him and Metal Face shared the same voice actor, but Fiora? Maybe her return was subtly foreshadowed, but it wasn't that predictable.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Metal Face was waaaaaaaaaaaay too obvious. It's so obvious, it can even qualify as a non-spoiler because of how obvious it is anyway in-game

For Seven... Seven had her own weapon type and the cutscenes were hyping someone up. They didn't show Seven's face, so it had to be someone we knew.

Put two and two together with Mumkhar and well...

I figured Fiora was coming back right after Metal Face started talking.

Figured out she was a Face after the first cutscene with her.

GET SPOILERED

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09

Why did you guys see Mumkhar being Metal Face and Fiora coming back as a surprise? It was extremely telegraphed in my opinion. I just don't get why it was praised as a good plot twist. I found it pretty obvious. Sorry, but I'm just confused here.
I wasn't surprised by it being Mumkhar and Fiora itself. I was surprised about everything else involving that however. Things like how Lady Meyneth stepped out and fought Zanza, and the way Mumkhar died shocked the **** out of me. To be honest, those are my two favorite deaths in the game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wasn't surprised by it being Mumkhar and Fiora itself. I was surprised about everything else involving that however. Things like how Lady Meyneth stepped out and fought Zanza, and the way Mumkhar died shocked the **** out of me. To be honest, those are my two favorite deaths in the game.
Yeah see, those two things were unexpected. I liked those. :p

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I highly doubt that they will make Seven dlc for smash, because (trying not to spoil the character from the game) both forms of this character wouldn't make sense, because if you put the first form, then you got a character that is really difficult to give attacks, specials, and others. If you put the second form in, then you got a big ol' spoiler from Xenoblade Chronicles.
I think it's already been said, but like... has anyone seen the Mechon trophies in Smash? Every single one except Metal Face spoils a significant plot twist.

I used to use Sharla Shulk then I went for default Shulk because, why not?
I go Dunban Shulk because I was born in a world of strife.

You have fallen.

By the way, I do have a question for fellow Xenoblade fans...

Also, Riki's theme for DLC.
With Mumkhar, I knew he had to come back because he wasn't generic-looking, but I didn't quite work out how he was going to return until maybe the prelude to Prison Island, because I'd done "that talk with Desiree", which fit with my theory that Homs were inside the Face Mechon. As for the voice acting, this ties in with one of my complaints with his appearance in Smash. When Metal Face appears in Colony 9, he doesn't talk - I think this is actually a strategic move. By the time he actually speaks up at the end of the Ether Mines, you've long since forgotten about Mumkhar's existence. Even during that scene, I don't think he directly addresses Dunban or Dickson. The reason it slightly irritates me is that people that play Smash first will remember his voice and then instantly identify it in the opening of the game. So anyway, it came as a bit of a surprise for me. A pretty solid plot twist for how he was going to come back.

As for Fiora, I think I disagree, but maybe I just didn't make the same connections you did. With that Face Nemesis creation scene, you couldn't see anything, and it wasn't the first time they'd made a scene like that - with Xord's one, you hadn't actually met him yet, so I assumed the same here. It was showing more of a "this is the next Face" kind of thing. That said I knew something was up with Face Nemesis because she didn't seem as eager to kill everything as the others. I expected to find someone inside, but not Fiora.

Then again I don't remember being too surprised for some reason. I think that might have been spoiler related though. I remember Googling something and it auto-suggesting something like "does fiora come back to life".

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
sharla shulk cause dunban/naked shulk is too main stream, and it looks similar to his def costume. I would pay for more alt colors/costumes based on his armors in xenoblade shulk tho

I use default because I'm 99% sure that 70% of Shulk players either use the Reyn or Dunban color palette

Adding that reason to my list

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I usually alternate a bit between default/Reyn/Dunban/Riki.

Ironically I never win when I play Melia's colours...

I haven't tried Melia Shulk even if I have it set as my color palette in the player finder thread. It looks really weird in-game but that's just me. I guess.

D

Deleted member

I use default because I'm 99% sure that 70% of Shulk players either use the Reyn or Dunban color palette

Adding that reason to my list
...I'm one of those people. :x

I can't help it if Shulk looks too cool with that red/black get up.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
You have fallen.

I really thought the Mumkhar being Metal Face as a big surprise because i don't notice stuff like similarities between different characters.

And the Fiora coming back wasn't a surprise because i looked up fan art of Xenoblade and i saw Mechon Fiora. Then i hated myself for doing that.

Last edited:

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
About 7 and metal face, for me,
I dunno, at this point, I've just become cynical about deaths in games so mumkhar's and 7's was no surprise to me since they fit the anime tropes that raised certain flags. The rest of the story surprised me in the end, though.[end spoiler]

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Nekkid Shulk. Girls need eye candy every now and then
The guys too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In a doubles thing I went to, I chose that palette and the guys we were against joked that I chose the palette to play mind games and distract them. After the matches my doubles partner said do me "Hey, I'm not sure... but I think they were gay. Just kind of in their mannerisms and the way they talked. If they are, it's hilarious considering they both played Peach."

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I used to use the Dunban pallete on the 3DS (still do) but the Melia pallete looks nice on Wii U so I use that instead.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Still Melia, every time. Almost nobody plays as that alt. Probably because of its colour? Eh, I personally think it looks quite good. However, the main reason I play it is because the character.

I would probably play as Shulk alt if he wasn't the default, lol. I suppose there's the underwear Shulk, but I feel that sets me up to look like an "I'm really feeling it" person..

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Still Melia, every time. Almost nobody plays as that alt. Probably because of its colour? Eh, I personally think it looks quite good. However, the main reason I play it is because the character.

I would probably play as Shulk alt if he wasn't the default, lol. I suppose there's the underwear Shulk, but I feel that sets me up to look like an "I'm really feeling it" person..
I like all of the coloring's of Shulk, but my favorite coloring is Dunban :4shulk: because he just looks so freaking cool.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
You have fallen.

Well...

Oh well...
I for myself saw seven miles away, but... Metalface was kinda surpring until it got really close to the "revelation".

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Well...

Oh well...
I for myself saw seven miles away, but... Metalface was kinda surpring until it got really close to the "revelation".
I started to notice something with Metal Face when Dunban said " That voice, no it can be!" i kinda noticed something but i said no i don't belive it. Then Mumkhar stepped out of his Faced Mechon at Valak Mountain and i said to myself, "welp, i'm stupid".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Seven was a complete surprise for me. Metal Face on the other hand...
I recognized Mumkhar's voice at the beginning and even then, I figured "Monado can't hurt homs, and the Faced Mechon can't get hurt either, they must have humans, the red light, is that supposed to be blood?"

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Seven was a complete surprise for me. Metal Face on the other hand...
I recognized Mumkhar's voice at the beginning and even then, I figured "Monado can't hurt homs, and the Faced Mechon can't get hurt either, they must have humans, the red light, is that supposed to be blood?"
Well i don't notice stuff like that, most people would notice stuff like that. I think theres a certain percent of people that notice that, and i'm not one of them. BTW i know this is not the place to ask this, but i'll ask it anyway. How do i place an avatar picture on my profile. I hate having that little dude in a box for my profile pic.

Last edited:
Well i don't notice stuff like that, most people would notice stuff like that. I think theres a certain percent of people that notice that, and i'm not one of them. BTW i know this is not the place to ask this, but i'll ask it anyway. How do i place an avatar picture on my profile. I hate having that little dude in a box for my profile pic.
Hover over your username at the top of the page

Click the avatar option

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When you get an alert, the little flag pops up, go to your name, avatar should be listed in there
:4greninja: 'ed

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I'm tempted to use all of the alts but I like to stay default most of the time. That'll probably change soon though cause I gotta have that Boney alt for Lucas.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
[collapse=]
I would have been surprised if Metal Face hadn't been Mumkhar. Though that's mostly because of seeing Metal Face in Smash first, and as soon as I saw the bloke in the opening cutscene I thought "he's going to be a bad guy, isn't he?" The emphasis on Dun Dun every time he and Metal Face met sure didn't help either. "You, who, or what are you?!"

And gee, I wonder who this new Face that showed up right after Sharla's flashback could be. Guess I'll find out.
[/collapse]

I just use default Shulk because I almost always use default on everyone. If I do go for an alt, it's either Seven or Dun Dun.

I'd like to use Ms. Hom's alt, but it looks kind of off for some reason. I don't particularly like most of Shulk's alts because the colours just don't really work well with his outfit. I honestly would have preferred him having alts based on his actual alts.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
One of Lucas' alts is like Boney? I really hope there's a Kumatora alt now.
In the trailer they scrolled by a bunch of Lucas and Ness alts, one of them had a green shirt with Boney's head on it. <3

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Sharla Shulk is best Shulk.

First post here.

No regrets.
You have fallen.

Hey there! You actually main Charizard? I feel bad for you lol

imo default is best but Sharla Shulk's color scheme is cool. I don't like Sharla though.

About spoilers:
I totally saw Fiora coming back and not being a guest character. An Interface Spoiler, if you will. Being on the inside cover of Xenoblade, having affinity, full art set, skill tree, unique weapon class, being controllable unlike Dickson, Alvis, and Mumkhar... Didn't see a robotized form of her coming back though, I thought the Monado would turn out to be able to control time instead of see past it and bring Fiora back.

I didn't get Metal Face until Prison Island, though. I suck majorly at voice recognition and speech comprehension in general but that's neither here nor there
Riki's theme isn't battle-worthy imo. It's a good, albeit stupid song, but I don't think it fits battles well. Kind of like Gaur Plain / Night, or any of the Pikmin themes

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I just went Rainbow Slug grinding in the past 20 minutes, since I was doing a quest that required it to be a thunderstorm and I randomly got one on the way there. After 15 minutes of nothing, I got 2 in a row. Why must the game torture me with Ice Cabbages, and then make Rainbow Slugs so easy to get.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I also like Fiora Shulk, it makes him look most akin to
Zanza.
Plus I love their beach scene too much NOT to love Fiora

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I also like Fiora Shulk, it makes him look most akin to
Zanza.
Plus I love their beach scene too much NOT to love Fiora
That's what I named my amiibo :)

I CAN SEE IT
Also, I have mixed reactions about reading everyone's responses. All these people recognising Mumkhar in Metal Face's voice because of Smash. On one hand, it makes me happy to have correctly foreseen what it'd do to newcomers, but on the other hand... it did kind of ruin it for a lot of you :ohwell:

Like I said before, I promise it wasn't so obvious without the context of Metal Face having a voice.

You guys sort of know this but I'm leaving at like... tonight in my time zone. @Neo Zero will watch over all of you with his red vision :demon:

Anyway, as for the threads that I handle. I would say that I'd ask Neo Zero to update those, if he wants to. If he doesn't (which is fine), then I can count on you guys can take initiative on updating the threads despite the thread title or OP saying otherwise :D

I'll be off for 3 weeks. I may have internet access or not. Who knows? I'm betting against it tho so

Last edited:
Top Bottom