• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Shulk Match-Ups: Directory/General Discussion – Engage the Enemy

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
I'll vote for Kirby :4kirby:. I played against one on FG once and it was pretty tough when he copied my Monado Arts. My second choice would be Olimar :4olimar:. I have a difficult time fighting Olimars but I kind of feel like he's a problem for me regardless of which character I use.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'll vote for Kirby :4kirby:. I played against one on FG once and it was pretty tough when he copied my Monado Arts.
You're in luck, this is actually one of this week's match-ups!
http://smashboards.com/threads/kirby-match-up-thread-kirby-sucks.388215/#post-18497614
My second choice would be Olimar :4olimar:. I have a difficult time fighting Olimars but I kind of feel like he's a problem for me regardless of which character I use.
I'll mark down Olimar.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Haven't posted here before.... Can I just vote for Pikachu for next week's matchup? Good Pikachu players can be tricky

I say we talk about :4link:+1

Like there are over 9999 Links on For Glory and my training buddy is a Link/Mega Man/Ike player so yeah

I'm going to count the Sheik match up as concluded. Anyone can bring it up if they want by just posting in the thread. Score is at +0

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I forgot to post this yesterday: I vote Link, let's do Link. I think now is the prime time with that discussion of the jab lock.

Well that was disappointing but I'm gonna conclude Link and Kirby's match up (bring it up against if you want). It's been 3 days since the Link discussion but there haven't been any comments other than mine (I guess I summarized well enough?)

Voting for :4pikachu: now

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
My vote goes to :4pikachu: aswell. I got wrecked by a good one really badly on For Glory, even with Shulk. Hell, if it wasn't for my spacing and Buster, i wouldn't have come close to winning near the end (even tho i still lost). So, definitely want the deets on Pikachu. I hadn't realized until recently how good he actually is.

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
What should Shulk do against a Fox.....or any fast character in general. It seems like no matter what I do, they'll always attack first because Shulk's attacks come out so freakin slow. So if I just get assaulted with a barrage of attacks, it's very hard to escape.

Last edited:
What should Shulk do against a Fox.....or any fast character in general. It seems like no matter what I do, they'll always attack first because Shulk's attacks come out so freakin slow. So if I just get assaulted with a barrage of attacks, it's very hard to escape.
Once they get up close, your option is to pivot then f-tilt or f-smash, shield then grab, or jab. Those are your most reliable options. You should work hard to keep a distance between fast characters and yourself by taking advantage of your range. Practice spacing

MetalMario128

Smash Cadet
NNID
MetalMario64
As a Shulk fighting King Dedede, one who constantly fires Gordos (like as soon as the last one disappears he throws another)? I try to sling them back at him, but he just shields them and then throws out another. I try to get in with Speed for Grabs, but I usually have to duck under a Gordo, which usually doesn't end well, or go over it, which ends up with me being grabbed. Any general tips on how to approach and guard?

As for the voting, gonna go with :4pikachu:. Kirby doesn't really give me much trouble.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Just fought a Shulk earlier as Toon Link and I was curious as to what Shulk's options would have been in the match up?

I had a bomb handy when Shulk visioned me to prevent getting launched and follow up with my down smash to punish Shulk's ending frames from Vision. Plus I had a boomerang following from the back, ready to bail me out and keep Shulk on his toes.

I also discovered that visioning Shulk with an arrow can bait him to attack you.

Shulk isn't suppose to vision any projectile in the fist place. If anything, he should have forward visioned it if he's close enough because that's much quicker and it doesn't allow for punishment

Vision doesn't play an important role in the match up. It's speed art or jump art against projectiles. Shulk's main objective is to rush in with speed or jump. Buster only becomes relevant once Shulk is close enough OR you can remain in speed or jump if you want. N-air and f-air are Shulk's tools to neutralize TL's projectiles. B-air also works but the positioning/spacing must be precise.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I'd love a Rosalina match-up. This is partly selfish because I play her as well, but even as playing her, I find her incredibly difficult, engaging is tricky, and I'd love to contribute to a whole board discussion about how to beat her, especially if I can input how I would approach as Shulk as Rosie.

I'll switch to Rosalina also since I've been informed that no one in the Pikachu boards knows about the match up. I do fear that there will be some heated debates but eh. That's the (usual) nature of match up discussions. Plus, I'll be watching all of you

+1:rosalina:

OP updated

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
I guess I'll switch my vote from Olimar to Rosalina and Luma as well. People play as her a lot so it would be a good idea to understand the matchup.

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
So I've been playing a lot of shulks and the biggest issue im having is dealing with neutral air. I'm finding it extremely difficult to punish

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
So I've been playing a lot of shulks and the biggest issue im having is dealing with neutral air. I'm finding it extremely difficult to punish
A shield grab should shut down most of his aerials unless its being spaced that only the beam hits the shield.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'll vote for Rosalina aswell, i have a good idea on the Match up from fighting a friend who mains her. :rosalina: + 1

BTW, in case this does happen...I summon @ Parcheesy Parcheesy to help us discuss this match up. : 3

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I'll vote for Rosalina aswell, i have a good idea on the Match up from fighting a friend who mains her. :rosalina: + 1

BTW, in case this does happen...I summon @ Parcheesy Parcheesy to help us discuss this match up. : 3
It's one of my favorite matchups actually, and I definitely have plenty to say about it. If you ever want me to post my essay, just poke me again on my profile or something and I'll scoot back into the thread.

Oh, and of course, if anyone wants some Rosalina practice, I'm usually available weeknights until 11 EST or so. Otherwise, just shoot me a conversation and we can work out a time. I'd love to sit down and work out specific matchup mechanics too if anyone wants to do that sort of thing.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
It's one of my favorite matchups actually, and I definitely have plenty to say about it. If you ever want me to post my essay, just poke me again on my profile or something and I'll scoot back into the thread.

Oh, and of course, if anyone wants some Rosalina practice, I'm usually available weeknights until 11 EST or so. Otherwise, just shoot me a conversation and we can work out a time. I'd love to sit down and work out specific matchup mechanics too if anyone wants to do that sort of thing.
Sure thing, we'll let you know when a thread is made.

Also, it's one of your faves? I can imagine, given how his range gives Rosalina a challenge and lets Shulk get in easier. Plus, Buster and Smash make things even more hype. : 3

BTW, nice icon.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
I vote for :4fox:. Would like read about this match.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I wanna hear what you guys think of the :4villager: matchup.

The Rosalina match up.... seems to be about done? Well, we got two 0's and one -1.... Hmm... I guess most of us are okay with the :rosalina: being +0 ?

The again, bring up the discussion by bumping the thread. The scores in the OP are open to change anytime.

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I vote for :4falcon: next. There are a lot in FG, and I think Shulk's biggest problem is vs fast running charachters.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'm not sure what to rate the MU's thanks to the MALLC AT. I've not mastered that technique (I know how to do it very well, but have not practiced it much), and it probably decently helps out Shulk's match-ups.

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
My vote goes to :4falcon: +1

I've been having lots of problems with this MU lately. Falcon can really mess with our spacing using his dashgrab and also has the tools to keep us in a bad position from there.

Top Bottom