• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Shulk Match-Ups: Directory/General Discussion – Engage the Enemy

Don't start another match up thread unless you guys feel that the MU has been thoroughly discussed. Oh and good job Erico for linking the ROB match up (I was about suggest it haha)

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i see this thread doesnt get much activity.. idk why since match ups are extremely important. the other day i asked about luigi in the social thread asking if there were any tricks to the match up. that match up is probably my hardest match up as shulk and it seemed a lot of others had trouble as well. i just played against more luigi today and i started winning after countless 3 stocks. heres what i did

my gameplan was use speed art as much as possible. this will make the luigi just feel pressured now and youll have an easier time mixing up whatever you want. also approaching becomes possible and your defense becomes stronger because baits are more likely to work. theyll want to roll to feel safe against a faster shulk and i noticed a lot of luigis like to roll behind and grab which nair can cover

once you get luigi offstage i recommend switching between jump and smash art. if luigi is misfiring then keep going after him with fair. just keep in mind he has a misfire. but jump will allow a more successful fair and smash art will knock them farther and potentially kill faster. buster could be used once they get closer to the ledge so you can rack up more damage from hitting them back off.
this could be general game plan vs anyone as well. not just luigi so that could be kinda given.

when it comes to his combo game i suggest not using your jump unless youre sure he cant follow up. i like to di the d throw up and in a lot to avoid more fair's from weegee. but sometimes ill take the fairs in case he misreads my di. its good to mix it up. also if the luigi likes to shield grab then land with nothing and get away. i wouldnt try to beat out a grab with anything just yet. unless youre absolutely sure you can beat him. since he gets so much more off of you than you can get on to him.

when i do get a grab, as i said earlier i like to have speed on as much as possible, so f throw into fair is good to pressure some option to avoid the fair. whether it be jump or air dodge. also u throw is good since weegee likes nair. u tilt can out range that clearly. if they air dodge i like to punish that with jab. if they jump then you should just read the landing. use your range to out space anything he can land with. if he lands with nothing then i'd say back off if you werent prepared for that one

basically i feel this is a "dont mess up" match up. dont make any reckless decisions and have an answer for every move. i wouldnt say i mastered the match up since i still have a lot of trouble. he can still combo into down b kills off u throw and stuff. any other input would be amazing for this since i'd really like this match up to be less difficult

also on a side note vision doesnt seem too helpful because of how grab happy luigi is. it seems more last resort or hard read kind of decision in this match up. but seriously any additional suggestions or input would be amazing

The match up discussion on Luigi hasn't even started yet. Also, the Greninja match up discussion is active

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i thought since this thread wasnt active that it was fine to talk about a match up here. mostly because i thought in depth discussions were left for actual threads. i figured this would just be a quick tip thing. sorry about that. when luigi comes ill leave my input then

Important announcement

Please go back to the discussed threads and reach a final match up score. Follow this system of match up scoring:

+0 (Even)
I shouldn't describe this. It's obvious

-1 or +1 (Slight advantage/disadvantage)
Not a true disadvantage but one of the characters seems to have the upper hand. Still can go either way

-2 or +2 (Solid advantage/disadvantage)
The opposing character has the clear favor but it's not unwinnable

-3 or +3 (Strong advantage/disadvantage)
It's strongly recommended to not use this character against that character due to this character being utterly shut down

The only MU thread I won't be bothering with is the Robin thread

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
i`d like to vote for sonic, yoshi or sheik to be discussed next.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
i thought since this thread wasnt active that it was fine to talk about a match up here. mostly because i thought in depth discussions were left for actual threads. i figured this would just be a quick tip thing. sorry about that. when luigi comes ill leave my input then
You got it right, that's one of the purposes of this thread. If you have something to say about a match-up, it's really annoying for you to have to wait to bring it up. While main attention should be given to the character that has been voted on, you can discuss things here too.
i`d like to vote for sonic, yoshi or sheik to be discussed next.
Which one would you prefer? Just vote for one to make things easy.

I think all of these are good match-ups to discuss. I really don't know which to vote for.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
You got it right, that's one of the purposes of this thread. If you have something to say about a match-up, it's really annoying for you to have to wait to bring it up. While main attention should be given to the character that has been voted on, you can discuss things here too.

Which one would you prefer? Just vote for one to make things easy.

I think all of these are good match-ups to discuss. I really don't know which to vote for.
Okay sorry, yoshi seems to be the most troublesome for me atm, so lets go with him.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'll wait a couple hours to open up a Sanic thrad to give people a chance to raise objactions.

@ Berserker. Berserker. - You can always make the post about Link here. Maybe you could split it and any posts that respond to it into the Link thread whenever that opens up.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
New to this thread
I gather the current matchup we're discussing is Sonic through my brief skimming?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So...we still on the Sonic MU, or can we move on? Just wondering since its been a week.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I think the best course of action is to move on to another match-up thread. I was thinking maybe Yoshi is someone we need to discuss... It seems to me like another unfavorable match-up. :4yoshi:+1

By the way, what do you guys think are Shulk's good match-ups? We've only really discussed bad match-ups.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I think the best course of action is to move on to another match-up thread. I was thinking maybe Yoshi is someone we need to discuss... It seems to me like another unfavorable match-up. :4yoshi:+1

By the way, what do you guys think are Shulk's good match-ups? We've only really discussed bad match-ups.
I cant think of any match ups that are neccessarily in SHulk's favor offhand...TBH, it feels like alot of them are either even, slightly in his favor, or just the odds are stacked against him. It might just be that i can't think of anything though.

:4yoshi: +1 aswell.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I have not played against a competent Yoshi player as Shulk, but I can see that Yoshi can give Shulk a hard time.
:4yoshi:+1

Yoshi vs Shulk is even imo, but +1 for :4yoshi:. I have an idea on how this works. Plus, I can ask for some input from some other Yoshi mains anyway if they're interested

tbh, Shulk has +2 match ups but it's not a lot. Then again, anyone not top tier (Basically Sheik and Diddy) doesn't have a lot of +2 match ups either

I put the MU ratio's already. (?) ones are questionable since not enough users inputted their score

Last edited:

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
+1 :4yoshi:

Btw, should we also discuss stages in those MU threads, such as which stage to ban/pick against the character, and which neutral to aim for ?

Btw, should we also discuss stages in those MU threads, such as which stage to ban/pick against the character, and which neutral to aim for ?
We'll start that up after I watch the direct which is ~2 minutes from now

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Yeah, stages are important components too.
-
I opened the Yoshi thread.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Obviously we're not ready to start a new matchup but I'm gonna stick in a vote for :4sheik: because she's literally everywhere

:4sheik:+1

Do not start the Sheik match up unless both match up discussions are deemed to be concluded

Bump

Alright, start voting

Sonic discussion will remain active or I'll just conclude it with a temporary/unsure ratio based on what I'm seeing on the said discussion thread

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
:4kirby: +1

plsplsplspls
Urgh...Even though i want a Yoshi match up, i'm sure Reserved wants this badly and besides, no one else is gonna vote for Kirby even thuogh he can probably be pretty challenging due to the copy abiity. So... :4Kirby: +1

You're welcome Reserved.

Urgh...Even though i want a Yoshi match up, i'm sure Reserved wants this badly and besides, no one else is gonna vote for Kirby even thuogh he can probably be pretty challenging due to the copy abiity. So... :4Kirby: +1

You're welcome Reserved.
You missed the Yoshi discussion. It's been already discussed (Check the OP)

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Yes.

YES.

Can I join in this discussion, or no because I'm not Shulk?
Mains of either person in the MU (or users who have an i dea of what their talking about concerning either of the characters in the MU) are always welcome, so go ahead. : D

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Should we be discussing custom moves in these matchups here as well? I feel like knowing how to counter some specific customs would be pretty important especially in matches where a character has an obvious upgrade for one or more of their custom moves (Villager comes to mind)

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Should we be discussing custom moves in these matchups here as well? I feel like knowing how to counter some specific customs would be pretty important especially in matches where a character has an obvious upgrade for one or more of their custom moves (Villager comes to mind)
Yeah, since customs are often allowed. I totally forgot about customs tbh.

Aren't customs illegal/banned in most tournaments? If I recall correctly, most (offline) tournaments these days just ban them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom