• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
But he IS treated like trash. That's why we're pissed:

Our character is a meatshield. He's literally a punch bag shield used by a very out-of-character Princess Peach. I'm not sure how you can give any character a trashier treatment than what he currently has.

At least being an AT, Pokeball summon, Boss character or something like Luma allows you to actually fight the enemy, but Toad is essentially a hostage who Peach uses to block deadly attacks aimed at her and nothing else...a role that could just as easily be fulfilled with her holding her frying pan in front of her face, or her parasol.

Sorry, I feel our complaints at his portrayal are well justified. He is treated like trash in this series, and we are fed up of it.

Toad being removed as an attack and not appearing in Smash at all is preferable to this treatment for crying out loud.
1 seires? Oh come on look at the other games and new games he is perfect in more than 100 games, super smash seires is about smashing everything around you, he is not being treated like a trash because this game has a lot of crazy stuff and ment to be like this. Mario has also been treated like a trash few times but his appearence in more than 200 times in a perfect way shows that nintendo actually doesnt want to treat Mario like a trash.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1 seires? Oh come on look at the other games and new games he is perfect in more than 100 games, super smash seires is about smashing everything around you, he is not being treated like a trash because this game has a lot of crazy stuff and ment to be like this. Mario has also been treated like a trash few times but his appearence in more than 200 times in a perfect way shows that nintendo actually doesnt want to treat Mario like a trash.
We're talking about the context of Smash Bros. This being a Smash Bros. website, that's the primary focus of the Toad support group on this forum.
Although not the point; yes Toad has been treated with disdain in a few other Mario games; Captain Toad himself is somewhat a joke character in the original Mario Galaxy title and needs to be rescued from basic enemies in Super Mario 3D World...including from ghosts; which are ironically the one enemy type he defeats far easier than Mario and gang thanks to his headlamp.

I have nothing against Toad getting Smashed. That's the point of the game. I have something against Toad getting Smashed but being unable to smash any other character. Because he's a (not even very good) counter move.

It is a trashy role in the game. I cannot stress that enough, it's the worst possible role a named character can get whilst still appearing on the battlefield; being someone else's blocking device.
I can't think of any character aside from Sandbag(who is barely a character let's be honest) that's lower on the food chain than where Toad currently is:
ATs? Can fight and show their worth. It's not ideal, but it's a positive looking role.
Pokeball summons? Likewise.
Bosses? Get to tear the stage up and look kind of cool whilst doing so.
Luma? Gets to beat up the opponent and aid Rosalina to victory.
Toad? Gets punched in the face. Yeah; thanks a lot. That's what we want from Toad in Smash Bros.

When the heck has Mario been treated like trash? Genuinely I cannot think of a single time where he's supposed to be viewed as a joke character. Please elaborate because that sounds like utter nonsense.

Lastly you didn't respond to my question about other movements for SMRPG characters to get back into Mario series games. Are there any you know of?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Wait, so would guys even be upset if daisy got in before him? By the look of it, you guys seem like you don't want him that much. O.o but anyway, I came here to say that I'm planning on making 1st party Smash Ballot Comic on miiverse in the smash community and I planned on Toad being one of the major supporting characters :)

I feel like Toad deserves to be in smash cause he's always forced to being playable but not playable in smash? I feel like that's unfair :/
I'd love everything Mario for Smash except for Geno.
The difference between Daisy and Toad getting in is just being excited vs being excited while feeling the roster is complete all-star wise.

As for Geno, I feel all these Geno fans need to direct their man-power at AlphaDream to get them into the RPGs.
Heck, getting him in Paper Jam would make him relevant, while making the game a celebration all things Mario RPG.
Along with making him relevant, he'd also get a much better resumé for appearing in Smash and might even show Nintendo that he's a cool character.

As for now, I don't want him in Smash.
Not when Toad, Daisy, Waluigi, Nabbit and even less important characters like Birdo, King Boo and Petey Piranha aren't in yet.
These characters have been appearing in a lot of games, and adding a one-time character (from the giant series that is Super Mario) would piss a lot of people of, because Mario has many many many many many more important characters to offer, from Sport Spin-Offs to the classic Platformers to the 3D AAA titles to the somewhat more niche RPG series.
Adding Geno, with a grand total of one game under its belt feels not only a slap to the face to the fans, but also a kick in the nuts to this rich series.
Even Goomba would be a better representation of this series than Geno.
Even Honey Queen is higher on the food chain, as is Baby Rosalina.

Funnily, I would be fine-ish with Mallow because he has weather powers instead of the grand fantasy tickling idea of a rocket firing dude.
Maybe has to do with Mallow having no fans acting like having not SMRPG represented through an edgy OC is blasphemy. (And even then it wasn't his game which makes it even, how can I say this nicely, stupid. (Didn't say that too nicely, whoops.)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
When the heck has Mario been treated like trash? Genuinely I cannot think of a single time where he's supposed to be viewed as a joke character. Please elaborate because that sounds like utter nonsense.

Lastly you didn't respond to my question about other movements for SMRPG characters to get back into Mario series games. Are there any you know of?
Mario hotel and Mario head

i didnt answer your question because i wasnt talking about this topic but fine, SMRPG characters coming back is getting closer and closer since 2012 alot of things happend at Nintendo and other places, the newest one being in augest 4, i am predicting SMRPG characters coming back in 2016 because its going to be the 20th birthday of the Mario RPGs seires.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mario hotel and Mario head

i didnt answer your question because i wasnt talking about this topic but fine, SMRPG characters coming back is getting closer and closer since 2012 alot of things happend at Nintendo and other places, the newest one being in augest 4, i am predicting SMRPG characters coming back in 2016 because its going to be the 20th birthday of the Mario RPGs seires.
Mario Hotel doesn't count, man c'mon. It's like counting the CD-I Zelda's as official Zelda games.
Mario Head isn't even a game. Isn't it a demo to show you how to use the 64 controller before the superb Mario 64 where Mario proves his mettle in 3D for the first time?

I hope you're right about the SMRPG characters. It'd be nice to see old Mario characters return to the Mario series like Daisy did way back in the 64 era or Pauline in Mario Vs. DK did(if she counts as a Mario character not a DK character).

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
But Daisy's already in the game, as a Peach alt...
jk but I would be a bit ticked off that Daisy got in first. Also where did you get the idea that we don't want him a whole lot, because this thread isn't one of the threads that's bursting with activity./quote]
Well it was @BluePikmin11 that said he wouldnt be surprised if he only got a costume and @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad agreed with him and it gave me the idea that it wouldn't effect you if wasn't in. I was expecting more of a "but I really don't want that to happen or else" followed by that but there wasnt. xD and it was also you that didn't seem eager to make up a moveset for him and wanted to make one for another character 1st. So I thought you guys may lost your support for him. Fortunately I see that you guys havent. I wish every thread was as on and popping as the k roll thread. I didn't even know this one existed. :c it's shame that not everyone knows about smash boards cause every thread would have alot more support if it was so. :l (i considered myself a smash pro since brawl but never came here cause I thought it was a place full of cheats and hacks xD)

I'm not expecting a lot from Sakurai when it comes to Toad

Even if Toad manages to get in, I'm seriously afraid as to how Sakurai will implement the character. For all I know, he might make Toad a joke character for whatever reason

At least make him a Sheik counter. qq

Like really. Everyone in this game blows against Sheik. Lol

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Even if Toad manages to get in, I'm seriously afraid as to how Sakurai will implement the character. For all I know, he might make Toad a joke character for whatever reason

yeah its a real worry that sakurai hates toad

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How would react if Nintendo did this Toadette.
HAHAHAHA!

I'm genuinely laughing, that's absolutely hilarious.

This is based on the old Super Mario cartoon when Toad removes his Mushroom cap, right?;

Well done sir, that brightened my day.

Toadette's still a cutie even if I can't understand exactly how her hair works exactly.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Sakurai probably would just make Toad a Mii Brawler costume to shut up the Toad fans.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I never really wanted Toad personally before Captain Toad (there was just absolutely nothing standout that I felt he could offer). I consider Captain Toad his own distinct character, but I wouldn't mind a normal Toad alt if they added Captain Toad.
Well, Captain Toad is his own distinct character.

As stated by Koichi Hayashida, the director of 3D World and producer of Treasure Tracker:
Hayashida said:
By the way, Captain Toad is actually not the same Toad as the Toad who’s playable in games like Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario’s Woods, but if you’re a fan of all Toads, I recommend playing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, NES Remix 2, or even the NES Remix PACK!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, Captain Toad is his own distinct character.

As stated by Koichi Hayashida, the director of 3D World and producer of Treasure Tracker:
This is why Toad fans and Captain Toad fans shouldn't be taking sides over which Toad is more deserving to be in Smash...

If you are a fan of all Toads, including Toad and Captain Toad and Blue and Yellow Toads, then the playable Toad in Smash should be based on all of them... instead of being based only on Toad, or only on Captain Toad, or only on the Blue and Yellow Toads... and the playable Toad in Smash would have alts of Toad, Captain Toad, Toadette, and the Toad Brigade. We can have them all!

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
This is why Toad fans and Captain Toad fans shouldn't be taking sides over which Toad is more deserving to be in Smash...

If you are a fan of all Toads, including Toad and Captain Toad and Blue and Yellow Toads, then the playable Toad in Smash should be based on all of them... instead of being based only on Toad, or only on Captain Toad, or only on the Blue and Yellow Toads... and Sma****oad would have alts of Toad, Captain Toad, Toadette, and the Toad Brigade. We can have them all!
Except that just wouldn't work. Captain Toad's moves and regular Toad's moves would be entirely different. There's just no good way to combine the two; it's like trying to make Mario and Luigi into one character, or Sonic and Shadow. Not to mention that regular Toads have never been shown to use Captain Toad's tools, such as the headlamp, backpack, Super Gems, et cetera.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Except that just wouldn't work. Captain Toad's moves and regular Toad's moves would be entirely different. There's just no good way to combine the two; it's like trying to make Mario and Luigi into one character, or Sonic and Shadow. Not to mention that regular Toads have never been shown to use Captain Toad's tools, such as the headlamp, backpack, Super Gems, et cetera.
Logic like this led to the Dark Pit situation. Besides, would you really object if they fused the two concepts?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Logic like this led to the Dark Pit situation. Besides, would you really object if they fused the two concepts?
I know I would.
Both characters' uniqueness would be dulled out for the sake of having an alt.
I'd say if those alts happen, they should not affect the moveset.
Just like the Koopaling's Final Smash is Shadow Mario.

None of the things Captain Toad does rely on some kind of supernatural powers either way, a normal Toad can do them just the same.

I'd rather have two Toads on the roster than to ruin the only Toad's moveset for the sake of an alt.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Pit and Dark Pit are, canonically, clones of one another. Toad and Captain Toad are members of a species. There's a difference. Pit and Dark Pit, canonically, have identical abilities. Toad and Captain Toad have different abilities, tools, and experiences. There's a difference.

I would object if they tried to fuse the two, because it wouldn't work. Captain Toad has his stuff, and Toad has his stuff. They're simply not compatible with one another. Captain Toad attacks using his backpack, and could also use his headlamp, super gems, et cetera. His focus would be on limited mobility, as that is very much present in his own games. Regular Toad has none of that. They simply could not incorporate Captain Toad elements into a normal Toad moveset, because Toad's character design doesn't allow for that. Toad doesn't have a backpack, or a headlamp, or any of that stuff. Their playstyles, appearances, and movesets would completely clash. So yes, I would object to that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The reason I never wanted an actual generic Toad in Smash is because, in all objective fairness, regular Toads don't have any real traits or defining characteristics other than shouting "BRAVO" and being a general curator and being bad at protecting Peach. If we wanna stretch it, he had the "bad jumps but faster" thing in 3D World (switch fast out for strong in SMB2), but other than that, there is no difference between playing as Toad and Mario in the platformers. And in NSMB, there is LITERALLY no difference. He doesn't have any real skills or abilities that he doesn't share with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and as of SM3DW, Rosalina. So the best you could realistically do for regular Toad in Smash is make him a Mario clone, but then Dr. Mario already plays like what Toad would most likely play like (Mario but slower and stronger and bad at jumping).

Captain Toad on the other hand is a much more defined Toad character. He has a more fleshed out personality and purpose, he hails from a game that plays very differently to standard Mario so he has a lot of abilities and tools to work with, and, well, he IS still a Toad. So I don't see why anyone would want to settle for less than Captain Toad. If Toads are to Mario what Chao are to Sonic, then Captain Toad is the Cheese (the Chao that accompanies Cream the Rabbit, who has a bit of a defined personality) of the Toads.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
To be fair to Toad, there is some stuff that they could do, such as boost mushrooms, the propeller suit, et cetera. I just don't find any of it to be very interesting, let alone unique. Nice job with the Chao analogy, by the way, Sonicbrawler. As a Sonic fan,

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be fair to Toad, there is some stuff that they could do, such as boost mushrooms, the propeller suit, et cetera. I just don't find any of it to be very interesting
That's my point. Yes, theoretically, they could simply give Toad some sort of move set based on using power-ups or what have you, but those power-ups are not unique to Toad in the source material. If Toad got a move set like that, I'd simply start wondering why Mario doesn't have it, since power-ups are what defines Mario platformers and makes them unique.

On the other hand, Captain Toad's Super Pick-Axe IS a power-up unique to him (and Toadette, though I'm sure she'd be an alt anyway). And while it didn't originate in Captain Toad's game, the Double Cherry had a much more significant presence and use in Captain Toad's game than in 3D World (in 3D World, it's never even mandatory to use the Double Cherry, unless you're going for 100% - and even then, most times you would need it for collectibles can be cheesed with other power-ups or Rosalina's spin tricks). There are just so many more personal elements for him to work with.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's my point. Yes, theoretically, they could simply give Toad some sort of move set based on using power-ups or what have you, but those power-ups are not unique to Toad in the source material. If Toad got a move set like that, I'd simply start wondering why Mario doesn't have it, since power-ups are what defines Mario platformers and makes them unique.
Did you wonder why Mario doesn't throw vegetables or shoot Star Bits in Smash when Peach and Rosalina got in Smash? Because, you know, Mario did those moves in Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Galaxy...

On the other hand, Captain Toad's Super Pick-Axe IS a power-up unique to him (and Toadette, though I'm sure she'd be an alt anyway). And while it didn't originate in Captain Toad's game, the Double Cherry had a much more significant presence and use in Captain Toad's game than in 3D World (in 3D World, it's never even mandatory to use the Double Cherry, unless you're going for 100% - and even then, most times you would need it for collectibles can be cheesed with other power-ups or Rosalina's spin tricks). There are just so many more personal elements for him to work with.
So you are just moving goal posts around to suit your arguments?

So, if the generic Toad in Smash gets the following moves (that Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina didn't get in Smash)...
  • picking up and carrying opponents like in SMB2
  • charging to jump very high like in SMB2
  • throwing potions to make doors appear so he can retreat into Subspace (ground dodges) like in SMB2
  • doing a ground pound like in NSMBWii, NSMBU, and SM3DW
  • encasing himself inside a bubble like in NSMBWii, NSMBU, and SM3DW
  • throwing iceballs like in NSMBWii and NSMBU
  • flying with the propeller hat like in NSMBWii and NSMBU
  • gliding with the flying squirrel suit like in NSMBU
  • carrying Baby Yoshis and using their abilities like in NSMBU
  • making colored platforms appear out of thin air (Boost Mode) like in NSMBU
  • using a Double Cherry like in SM3DW never mind, Captain Toad called dibs for this so only he can use it but not Toad
  • using a Mega Mushroom to grow big like in SM3DW
  • using potted Piranha Plants like in SM3DW
  • using cannon boxes to shoot cannonball like in SM3DW
  • using propeller blocks to fly like in SM3DW
  • blowing into the Game Pad to make platforms move like in SM3DW
  • touching the Game Pad to make platforms move like in SM3DW
...you are going to wonder why Mario didn't get them in Smash?

Well, then I guess the generic Toad should get all his moves from Wario's Woods and nothing else... lest he be branded a clone of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Did you wonder why Mario doesn't throw vegetables or shoot Star Bits in Smash when Peach and Rosalina got in Smash? Because, you know, Mario did those moves in Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Galaxy...
I'm not seeing your point here.
So you are just moving goal posts around to suit your arguments?

So, if the generic Toad in Smash gets the following moves (that Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina didn't get in Smash)...
  • picking up and carrying opponents like in SMB2
  • charging to jump very high like in SMB2
  • throwing potions to make doors appear so he can retreat into Subspace (ground dodges) like in SMB2
  • doing a ground pound like in NSMBWii, NSMBU, and SM3DW
  • encasing himself inside a bubble like in NSMBWii, NSMBU, and SM3DW
  • throwing iceballs like in NSMBWii and NSMBU
  • flying with the propeller hat like in NSMBWii and NSMBU
  • gliding with the flying squirrel suit like in NSMBU
  • carrying Baby Yoshis and using their abilities like in NSMBU
  • making colored platforms appear out of thin air (Boost Mode) like in NSMBU
  • using a Double Cherry like in SM3DW never mind, Captain Toad called dibs for this so only he can use it but not Toad
  • using a Mega Mushroom to grow big like in SM3DW
  • using potted Piranha Plants like in SM3DW
  • using cannon boxes to shoot cannonball like in SM3DW
  • using propeller blocks to fly like in SM3DW
  • blowing into the Game Pad to make platforms move like in SM3DW
  • touching the Game Pad to make platforms move like in SM3DW
...you are going to wonder why Mario didn't get them in Smash?
  • Yes, because Mario, Luigi, and Peach did that too.
  • Yes, because Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina did that too.
  • Yes, because Mario and Luigi did that too.
  • Yes, because Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, and Captain Toad did that too.
  • Yes, because Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina (and maybe Captain Toad? can't recall) did that too.
This wouldn't be a Toad moveset. Toad did all these things, but they're not unique to him. It would be a Mario (the games, not the character) moveset that Toad just so happened to appear in. Captain Toad has more potential for a moveset about him -- and things only he did -- whereas Toad would have to resort to generic abilities from games he was in, but none of which are his. All of the moves you listed are either generic and something that characters already do (i.e. jumping, picking people up), power-ups (which again, aren't an attribute of Toad himself; Mario did it first), or something that he didn't even do (the gamepad stuff). I'm perhaps being a bit hypocritical about that last one -- seeing as how the Captain Toad moveset I was working on a while back involves the gamepad stuff in a lot of ways -- but from what I remember, the gamepad was more prominent in Treasure Tracker than in the games that Toad appeared in.

Bottom line: You could make a moveset with Toad on it, but Toad doesn't have enough unique material to make a Toad moveset. What you described would be a Mario platformer moveset that could just as easily go on Mario, Luigi, or any other Mario character really. There's absolutely no point in Toad being in this moveset, and thus no point in Toad being in Smash.
Well, then I guess the generic Toad should get all his moves from Wario's Woods and nothing else... lest he be branded a clone of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina.
Or, we could get the actual character -- as opposed to a species -- with superior moveset potential and an interesting playstyle concept instead.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not seeing your point here.

• Yes, because Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, and Captain Toad did that too.
  • Yes, because Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina (and maybe Captain Toad? can't recall) did that too.
This wouldn't be a Toad moveset. Toad did all these things, but they're not unique to him. It would be a Mario (the games, not the character) moveset that Toad just so happened to appear in. Captain Toad has more potential for a moveset about him -- and things only he did -- whereas Toad would have to resort to generic abilities from games he was in, but none of which are his. All of the moves you listed are either generic and something that characters already do (i.e. jumping, picking people up), power-ups (which again, aren't an attribute of Toad himself; Mario did it first), or something that he didn't even do (the gamepad stuff). I'm perhaps being a bit hypocritical about that last one -- seeing as how the Captain Toad moveset I was working on a while back involves the gamepad stuff in a lot of ways -- but from what I remember, the gamepad was more prominent in Treasure Tracker than in the games that Toad appeared in.

Bottom line: You could make a moveset with Toad on it, but Toad doesn't have enough unique material to make a Toad moveset. What you described would be a Mario platformer moveset that could just as easily go on Mario, Luigi, or any other Mario character really. There's absolutely no point in Toad being in this moveset, and thus no point in Toad being in Smash.

Or, we could get the actual character -- as opposed to a species -- with superior moveset potential and an interesting playstyle concept instead.
So... according to your logic above... and if we applied this logic to Rosalina in Smash, we didn't get a Rosalina moveset, we got a Super Mario Galaxy (the games, not the character) moveset that Rosalina just so happened to appear in... because Rosalina didn't do any of these in Super Mario Galaxy games, but Mario and Luigi did them so those stuff aren't unique to Rosalina.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
So... according to your logic above... and if we applied this logic to Rosalina in Smash, we didn't get a Rosalina moveset, we got a Super Mario Galaxy (the games, not the character) moveset that Rosalina just so happened to appear in... because Rosalina didn't do any of these in Super Mario Galaxy games, but Mario and Luigi did them so those stuff aren't unique to Rosalina.
Mario isn't a cosmic queen. Mario doesn't summon in and battle using Lumas. Mario doesn't create Launch Stars. Mario doesn't use twirly wand magic or anything. Mario does use Star Bits and the cursor thing, sure, but A) Rosalina is more associated with Star Bits and such -- as they're, y'know, stars, which Rosalina is sort of in control of -- and B) the cursor is used by the co-star Luma in Galaxy 2, and has more of a suction effect than its use in the Galaxy games, resembling Rosalina's telekinesis.

Even if a couple of these abilities were shared with Mario -- as Toad would share his abilities with Mario and co. -- she has more than enough unique abilities and attributes for her to be justifiable to include in Smash. Like how Captain Toad would pluck turnips and such. Others do that in Mario USA, and while it is prominently featured in Treasure Tracker, it's not uniquely his. However, his other abilities, attributes, etc are enough to justify him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mario isn't a cosmic queen. Mario doesn't summon in and battle using Lumas.
I never said Mario was a cosmic queen... and yes, you are right, Mario doesn't summon in and battle using Lumas... but neither did Rosalina. She never did that in Super Mario Galaxy games or in Super Mario 3D World.

Mario doesn't create Launch Stars.
Of course, he doesn't create them. Launch Stars are made of Lumas. Launch Stars ARE Lumas.

Mario doesn't use twirly wand magic or anything.
Of course not... but notice it isn't really magic (except for Down+B... more on that below). The way Rosalina uses it in Smash indicates she is using it more like a conductor's wand... like she is giving directions to the Luma.

Mario does use Star Bits and the cursor thing, sure, but A) Rosalina is more associated with Star Bits and such -- as they're, y'know, stars, which Rosalina is sort of in control of -- and B) the cursor is used by the co-star Luma in Galaxy 2, and has more of a suction effect than its use in the Galaxy games, resembling Rosalina's telekinesis.
Rosalina's telekinesis? You mean her Down+B where she uses the wand to make a blue star cursor appear around her? That's not telekinesis, that's the wand's doing. I guess it is doing what the Wii Remote would do in Super Mario Galaxy games.

Yes, Mario uses Star Bits... yes, Rosalina is more associated with Star Bits and such... yes, Mario uses power-ups... but Toad is more associated with power-ups when you consider that generic Toads give out power-ups in Toad Houses. When you go to a Toad House, you almost always expect to pick up a free power-up from a generic Toad. It's been done since Super Mario Bros. 3. We even saw this in Mario RPG games where Toads run shops and you can almost always expect to find items.

Even if a couple of these abilities were shared with Mario -- as Toad would share his abilities with Mario and co. -- she has more than enough unique abilities and attributes for her to be justifiable to include in Smash. Like how Captain Toad would pluck turnips and such. Others do that in Mario USA, and while it is prominently featured in Treasure Tracker, it's not uniquely his. However, his other abilities, attributes, etc are enough to justify him.
She has more than enough unique abilities and attributes for her to be justifiable to include in Smash? You mean the stuff Mario and Luigi had in Super Mario Galaxy games? We didn't get Rosalina as a playable character, we got Super Mario Galaxy games as a playable character in the form of Rosalina... and I am actually okay with that.

And what other abilities and attributes are enough to justify Captain Toad??? Not jumping, which by itself, isn't unique (nor functional for Smash) when Mario and Luigi couldn't jump in Wrecking Crew... and the pick-axe isn't really that unique when it works exactly like the hammer from Donkey Kong arcade. The more I think about manipulating platforms to get around, the less I like it... it treads too close to the "we have to put ramps everywhere for Excitebike" territory.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
FYI, Rosalina doesn't shoot the Star Bits in Smash, Luma does. Though it wouldn't be out of order for Rosalina to do it. Rosalina & the Lumas actually eat Star Bits, as was shown in the story book. As far as the Lumas go though, you did actively feed them in Galaxy, so them having Star Bits makes sense for their move set. The Star Bits otherwise have no association with Mario, he uses them to feed the Lumas, that's it.

I never said Mario was a cosmic queen... and yes, you are right, Mario doesn't summon in and battle using Lumas... but neither did Rosalina. She never did that in Super Mario Galaxy games or in Super Mario 3D World.
She did summon Lumas in Mario Golf, actually, for her Eagle animation.

And even without that, you're splitting hairs at that point - the animation in Smash doesn't explicitly imply she summons them, I myself took it as a reference to how Lumas can essentially re-incarnate through their star dust reforming when they die, which was something Rosalina mentioned in Galaxy. And Rosalina & Luma fighting as a pair isn't hard to believe in Smash considering the personal bond between Rosalina & the Lumas.

I could go into great detail with where Rosalina's moves come from, and they all make sense. She's a cosmic goddess, and Nintendo has been pretty clear that they have no problem adding outrageously powerful and impressive moves to her arsenal in any game, sports games included.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
As Sonicbrawler pointed out, Rosalina has been shown to summon Lumas. Either way, the Lumas aren't an ability like a weapon or something would be; they're a character. Nana : Popo : : Luma : Rosalina.
Of course, he doesn't create them. Launch Stars are made of Lumas. Launch Stars ARE Lumas.
And thus another unique ability that the character of Rosalina & Luma has to justify their inclusion.
Of course not... but notice it isn't really magic (except for Down+B... more on that below). The way Rosalina uses it in Smash indicates she is using it more like a conductor's wand... like she is giving directions to the Luma.
In Rosalina's jab combo, we see her twirl it around as it emits magic sparkly dust, with similarly magic-y sound effects.
Rosalina's telekinesis? You mean her Down+B where she uses the wand to make a blue star cursor appear around her? That's not telekinesis, that's the wand's doing. I guess it is doing what the Wii Remote would do in Super Mario Galaxy games.
Why can the wand not grant Rosalina telekinesis? The two aren't mutually exclusive. The Wiimote cursor and the down special are similar in a few ways, yes, but Rosalina's is superior to Mario's in that it can pick up any item, while Mario's can only collect star bits and influence a couple select level gimmicks. Rosalina is more adept at this than Mario, which is why she uses it here and not him. This makes sense, since she is the queen of the cosmos and all - we even see this in the Galaxy games themselves, where the co-star Luma's cursor can do things like stun enemies and bring Mario power-ups.
Yes, Mario uses Star Bits... yes, Rosalina is more associated with Star Bits and such... yes, Mario uses power-ups... but Toad is more associated with power-ups when you consider that generic Toads give out power-ups in Toad Houses. When you go to a Toad House, you almost always expect to pick up a free power-up from a generic Toad. It's been done since Super Mario Bros. 3. We even saw this in Mario RPG games where Toads run shops and you can almost always expect to find items.
That doesn't mean that power-ups are Toad's thing. He sells them, but he doesn't use them any more often than Mario, or in any different way than Mario that would justify them being his and his alone.
She has more than enough unique abilities and attributes for her to be justifiable to include in Smash? You mean the stuff Mario and Luigi had in Super Mario Galaxy games? We didn't get Rosalina as a playable character, we got Super Mario Galaxy games as a playable character in the form of Rosalina... and I am actually okay with that.
Rosalina's moveset is comprised mostly of things that neither Mario or Luigi demonstrated. Mario and Luigi never created launch stars out of thin air - the Lumas did. Mario just got some help from them. (By the way, keep in mind that the character isn't Rosalina; its Rosalina & Luma. So any of the Lumas' abilities also count towards the character's uniqueness and stuff. If that actually makes sense.) Mario never exploded galaxies to kill people. Mario never created Saturnian rings. Mario never twirled a magic wand or anything. And whenever Rosalina & Luma do use abilities that Mario used in Galaxy, they do it better. Mario draws in Star Bits; Rosalina draws in everything. Mario shoots one Star Bit; Luma shoots several. Etc, etc. Toad, meanwhile, uses power-ups in the same exact way as Mario, with no uniqueness to him at all other than less jump height and a faster run.
And what other abilities and attributes are enough to justify Captain Toad??? Not jumping, which by itself, isn't unique (nor functional for Smash) when Mario and Luigi couldn't jump in Wrecking Crew... and the pick-axe isn't really that unique when it works exactly like the hammer from Donkey Kong arcade. The more I think about manipulating platforms to get around, the less I like it... it treads too close to the "we have to put ramps everywhere for Excitebike" territory.
Captain Toad has:
  • The pickaxe
  • Super gems
  • His backpack, with loads of stuff in it
  • Bad mobility, which could lend to a unique playstyle when combined with...
  • Working around the environment (see the moveset I was working on)
  • A headlamp
  • A minecart
  • A turnip cannon
All of which are unique to him. Plus, like how Rosalina improves upon Mario's star pointer, Captain Toad:
  • Uses the Double Cherry more often, and his strategic style can potentially make better use of it
  • Has more variety in plucking things in the ground; whereas the others only really plucked vegetables and things, Captain Toad has rapid-fire coin plucking, mushrooms, the aforementioned gems and pickaxe, and Piranha Sprouts
Toad, meanwhile, just has faster running, lower jumps, and a bunch of power-ups that aren't unique to him or related at all to his character. Yeah, I'm sticking with the Captain here.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While I'd love to go into detail clearing up the tons of misconceptions about Rosalina in general, this isn't a Rosalina thread, it's a Captain Toad one. I don't see why Rosalina had to be brought into this at all.

The point is that regular Toads are basically the Mario equivalent to Sonic's animal friends and the Chao in terms of series significance. They've been there a while, sure, but they've historically been just kinda there, being curators in Mario Party or saying "SORRY, BUT THE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE". Only reason Toad is ever made playable in platformers is because they can't use anyone else. Miyamoto wanted all four players in NSMB Wii to play identically, and felt Peach wouldn't make sense without her float, and Wario wouldn't make sense without shoulder bashing and farting. So he chose two Toads, because they HAVE no unique qualities. Toads are playable in NSMB BECAUSE they lack unique qualities. Smash has the opposite mind set though, especially for DLC. The characters have to have a sense of unique identity, which a regular Toad would lack - because he would literally be one of many.

Captain Toad uses the blank canvas of a Toad, and makes something unique with it. He is the best option for getting some kind of Toad character into Smash, and is objectively a better fit based on criteria Sakurai has mentioned in his design documents for the Smash games.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since the generic Toad in Smash is apparently not allowed to have anything from Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U, and Super Mario 3D World... oh, and especially not Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker... the only stuff that would make a generic Toad unique would have to be from Wario's Woods... can Toad have something from Wario's Woods or is it not unique to Toad because Wario?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
While I'd love to go into detail clearing up the tons of misconceptions about Rosalina in general, this isn't a Rosalina thread, it's a Captain Toad one. I don't see why Rosalina had to be brought into this at all.

The point is that regular Toads are basically the Mario equivalent to Sonic's animal friends and the Chao in terms of series significance. They've been there a while, sure, but they've historically been just kinda there, being curators in Mario Party or saying "SORRY, BUT THE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE". Only reason Toad is ever made playable in platformers is because they can't use anyone else. Miyamoto wanted all four players in NSMB Wii to play identically, and felt Peach wouldn't make sense without her float, and Wario wouldn't make sense without shoulder bashing and farting. So he chose two Toads, because they HAVE no unique qualities. Toads are playable in NSMB BECAUSE they lack unique qualities. Smash has the opposite mind set though, especially for DLC. The characters have to have a sense of unique identity, which a regular Toad would lack - because he would literally be one of many.
Whilst I personally prefer Captain these days to regular Toad; I'm afraid I don't agree at all with that comparison.

Yes they both require rescuing at some point, but Toad takes on a far more active role; even at his most NPC, Toad is usually depicted aiding Mario in some sort of way opposed to the animal friends who...don't actually aid Sonic in any way. When was the last time Johnny Lightfoot aided Sonic outside the comics for example?

Sonic animal friends and Chao have also never been playable characters unlike Toad. Cheese the Chao is arguably playable in one game and in as much as Luma is playable in Smash since you technically play Cream and send him to assault everything on stage. You don't really play as Cheese.

To put it lightly;
If Mario is Player 1 and Luigi is Player 2 then Toad is Player 3. Or 4. Or sometimes both game depending. Whilst NSMB required all four characters to play the same(for some reason; guess they threw that idea out in Luigi U with Nabbit) Toad has still been playable in SMB2 and 3D World platformer wise.

Also worth noting Mario and Luigi play identical in the NSMB games despite the fact we're well aware Luigi has lower traction, a higher jump and overall tweaked stats to Mario in many other games.
Likewise Toad is usually depicted as; more powerful than Mario and Luigi(seen via Turnip Pluck speed in SMB2 and various references to 'surprising strength'), faster than the brothers(and Peach) and with crappier jumps. Even regular Toad is at least as unique as Luigi is to Mario at this point. How unique that actually is comes down to personal opinion.

Not that I'd be against deleting Doc from Smash entirely and having Toad as a Mario/Luigi Semi-clone with a few tweaked specials(like giant turnip pluck from Peach). He'd have a little more merit than Mario in a labcoat at least.

Since the generic Toad in Smash is apparently not allowed to have anything from Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U, and Super Mario 3D World... oh, and especially not Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker... the only stuff that would make a generic Toad unique would have to be from Wario's Woods... can Toad have something from Wario's Woods or is it not unique to Toad because Wario?
You mean the game where Wario doesn't do anything at all apart from appear at the end as a boss? Yeah, I doubt anyone can take Wario's Woods away from Toad. That was HIS game, no question.

But hey; I'd be down with a Wario's Woods inspired moveset too; running up walls, summoning and stacking enemies to use as projectiles and use them as cover from attacks, line up three monsters, set off a bomb and create a massive explosion. That actually does sound pretty cool as a gimmick to me for regular Toad.

Alternatively; Toad is also able to summon mushrooms in Mario Sports Mix, which is another power that is unique to him:

In fact overall Toad is probably the Mario character MOST associated with mushrooms. Apart from his obvious appearance, Toad's special item in Double Dash(the only Mario Kart to have unique weapons) was the Golden Mushroom, which is something Smash Bros. Crusade ran with, and not to mention the very often overlooked ability to create spores.
Toad originally showcased his spores in Mario Tennis 64 befpre becoming a Smash staple. Should he have been included it's a safe bet these spores would of been in his moveset too.

Considering the amount of Toad Houses he's run as well, the minigames from the NSMB series Toad Houses are also unique moveset fodder for the more generic Toad.

It's not like Toad has NO unique moveset potential. It's just considerably less obvious than Captain Toad's moveset potential...

Captain Toad uses the blank canvas of a Toad, and makes something unique with it. He is the best option for getting some kind of Toad character into Smash, and is objectively a better fit based on criteria Sakurai has mentioned in his design documents for the Smash games.
...which is why I have to agree with this statement as well.

Additionally as much as I'd be up for a default Toad alt(I'd freaking love it, that Toad was my childhood after all), considering his moveset will most likely include the backpack; a major gameplay excuse of the Captain Toad game, and his headlamp I can't see how regular Toad would be able to even be an alt...at least without those two pieces of clothing.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If Regular Toad would get in, I'd like him to get a Mushroom-based moveset.
Between the Golden Mushroom Special Item, the spores, Mario Sports Mix's Mushroom power and even his general appearance, it's safe to say Toad could have a moveset based around the Mushroom power-ups.

Cap'n Toad has more moveset potential though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Whilst I personally prefer Captain these days to regular Toad; I'm afraid I don't agree at all with that comparison.

Yes they both require rescuing at some point, but Toad takes on a far more active role; even at his most NPC, Toad is usually depicted aiding Mario in some sort of way opposed to the animal friends who...don't actually aid Sonic in any way. When was the last time Johnny Lightfoot aided Sonic outside the comics for example?

Sonic animal friends and Chao have also never been playable characters unlike Toad. Cheese the Chao is arguably playable in one game and in as much as Luma is playable in Smash since you technically play Cream and send him to assault everything on stage. You don't really play as Cheese.

To put it lightly;
If Mario is Player 1 and Luigi is Player 2 then Toad is Player 3. Or 4. Or sometimes both game depending. Whilst NSMB required all four characters to play the same(for some reason; guess they threw that idea out in Luigi U with Nabbit) Toad has still been playable in SMB2 and 3D World platformer wise.

Also worth noting Mario and Luigi play identical in the NSMB games despite the fact we're well aware Luigi has lower traction, a higher jump and overall tweaked stats to Mario in many other games.
Likewise Toad is usually depicted as; more powerful than Mario and Luigi(seen via Turnip Pluck speed in SMB2 and various references to 'surprising strength'), faster than the brothers(and Peach) and with crappier jumps. Even regular Toad is at least as unique as Luigi is to Mario at this point. How unique that actually is comes down to personal opinion.

Not that I'd be against deleting Doc from Smash entirely and having Toad as a Mario/Luigi Semi-clone with a few tweaked specials(like giant turnip pluck from Peach). He'd have a little more merit than Mario in a labcoat at least.

You mean the game where Wario doesn't do anything at all apart from appear at the end as a boss? Yeah, I doubt anyone can take Wario's Woods away from Toad. That was HIS game, no question.

But hey; I'd be down with a Wario's Woods inspired moveset too; running up walls, summoning and stacking enemies to use as projectiles and use them as cover from attacks, line up three monsters, set off a bomb and create a massive explosion. That actually does sound pretty cool as a gimmick to me for regular Toad.

Alternatively; Toad is also able to summon mushrooms in Mario Sports Mix, which is another power that is unique to him:

In fact overall Toad is probably the Mario character MOST associated with mushrooms. Apart from his obvious appearance, Toad's special item in Double Dash(the only Mario Kart to have unique weapons) was the Golden Mushroom, which is something Smash Bros. Crusade ran with, and not to mention the very often overlooked ability to create spores.
Toad originally showcased his spores in Mario Tennis 64 befpre becoming a Smash staple. Should he have been included it's a safe bet these spores would of been in his moveset too.

Considering the amount of Toad Houses he's run as well, the minigames from the NSMB series Toad Houses are also unique moveset fodder for the more generic Toad.

It's not like Toad has NO unique moveset potential. It's just considerably less obvious than Captain Toad's moveset potential...

...which is why I have to agree with this statement as well.

Additionally as much as I'd be up for a default Toad alt(I'd freaking love it, that Toad was my childhood after all), considering his moveset will most likely include the backpack; a major gameplay excuse of the Captain Toad game, and his headlamp I can't see how regular Toad would be able to even be an alt...at least without those two pieces of clothing.
-Sonic's animal friends do help him. They can power up the Chao he raises in Sonic Adventure, and they open up new levels in Sonic Lost World. Flicky, the most iconic animal friend, also has his own platforming game.

-Cheese the Chao has been an aid to Cream in a bunch of games. Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Battle, Sonic Heroes, just to name a few. Not to mention Sonic X (which is closely linked to the games), which also defines Cheese's personality. Chao actually have an important role in the lore of Sonic too, as they are part of how to keep Chaos, the god of destruction, in a calm state, as he values Chao and wants to protect them. Chao can also be raised to have some of the powers and properties of Chaos. They also play an important role in the plot of Sonic Rivals 2. They also aid Mario & Sonic in the Adventure Tours of M&S Winter Games DS, alongside the Toads.

And Chao have been playable. Two Chao are playable in the mech fighting multiplayer mode of Sonic Adventure 2. One is playable in Sonic Shuffle. And while it's not playing as the Chao, the Chao Garden is of course a significant part of the Sonic Adventure games, and gives people plenty of reasons to love Chao on it's own, definitely more than generic Toads ever get, since you literally raise them from birth until death.

-Luigi has his own unique qualities, but IIRC , he didn't in the original SMB, and NSMB plays off the nostalgia for that game. Like I said, he literally chose Toads for their lack of unique abilities, he literally said that in an interview about NSMB Wii. Running a bit faster and picking up turnips faster is not an ability, it's a stat difference.

So yeah, I would say comparing Toads to Animal Friends/Chao is very apt, especially since they share the stands in the Olympic Games. Chao indisputably have more relevance to Sonic lore than Toads do to Mario, in fact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom