• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

warelander

Smash Journeyman
To me, WoG takes priority over some bundles and a reference in Mario Maker (which I don't think really counts as canon). But that's just me.
It's not so much about canon, but rather how Nintendo represents the game to their audiences.

If they really wanted Captain Toad to stand as his own character they could very easily do so, instead they make Toad part of the marketing and keep in mind that they are also aiming for family audiences that likely only know the Toads from Mario Kart and the New Super Mario Bros series. So when they see a game called Captain Toad bundled with a Toad amiibo they are going to look at them as the same dude and I think Nintendo is well aware of that and they certainly don't seem to mind since Mario Maker regardless of it's canonical status now actually made a direct Toad = Captain Toad statement.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ness and Lucas use PSI moves, and they appeared in the same games as the moves they used in Smash. So, it makes enough sense for them to have these powers. Captain Toad isn't even in the same game as most of these power-ups. (Counting the Captain Toad minigame in 3D World as a separate game, since Mario and the Captain don't really interact in any way sans the credits, whereas Ness and Lucas do interact with their party members.)
According to this logic, it makes sense for Tingle to get in Smash and wear Fierce Deity Mask as his Final Smash because it appeared in the same game as Tingle did. :troll:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Captain Toad Moveset
Captain Toad is as heavy as Wario, because of his backpack. Unfortunately, this gives him a slow running speed and short jumps. His rolls and dodges are average. He has two small jumps, but a few powerful aerials to make him a danger when airborne.

He has a tilt that can stun and two fast, strong Smashes. His grab is a cannon that gives him control of where he wants his unfortunate victim to go.

In order to compensate for his poor movement, Captain Toad has a few (A) attacks that give him movement and all his specials can be used to travel distances while being on the offensive.

Ground Attacks
A: Map Whack – Slaps with a rolled up map.

Tapping (A) results in a flurry of whacks that ends with a baseball-style swat.

Dash A: Trip – Trips over feet and rolls like a bowling ball. This pops enemies upwards.

Side tilt: Flashlight – Captain Toad’s flashlight pops on, shining an intense beam of light forward the distance of Bowser’s forward tilt.

The move stuns well at very close range, does a little bit of knockback medium distance, and only a little damage at the furthest length.

Up Tilt: Coins – Captain Toad faces the screen and with great speed plucks out a coin from the ground. The coin is thrown upwards where it travels a distance and then bursts into glitter.

Holding (A) after the attack will keep Captain Toad rapidly firing coins up into the air. This is a great strategy for damage racking.

Down tilt: Grappling Hook – Captain Toad crouches and snakes a grappling hook along the floor.

The length is the same as his tilt. However, the move has more knockback and attack power.

Up Smash: Pipe – A glass pipe rises up from the floor, encasing Captain Toad and launches him upwards as a spinning ball.

This is a quick move with good KO potential. The Captain could jump twice after being shot up when the spinning animation ends. The glass pipe protects from weak attacks when it is around Toad. Otherwise, the pipe shatters.

Forward Smash: Backpack Wallop – Shrugs off his backpack while he performs one spin, delivering a heavy-blow with his treasure-stuffed sack. This is a quick Smash with big knockback.

Down Smash: Lighten the Load – Captain Toad holds his backpack upside down, which opens and spills some contents. Two items (a diamond or green star) fall out and bounce in either directions a short distance before disappearing or shattering against an opponent. Good damage, moderate knockback power.

Aerial Attacks

Down Air: The Captain flips upside down and claps his shoes together, which propels him downward.

The shoes can send an opponent upwards and his squishy mushroom head can send an opponent downwards. This is a weak meteor smash. If the (A) button is pressed when the Captain connects the floor, he can bounce back into a jump animation.

Up Air: Takes out a Potted Piranha Plant from his backpack and holds it above his head. The plant rises from its pot from a long vine and snaps at the top for great knockback. Then, the plant descends back into the pot, which disappears in a puff of smoke.

As long as the move is initiated before Captain Toad hits the ground, the move keeps going until it’s finished even if Toad lands.

Neutral A: Hook-nado - Captain Toad whirls around his grappling hook around his body twice.

He gains air speed during this animation allowing him to move back and forth more than usual. This has low knock-back, but deals fair damage.

Forward A: Get Away! – The Captain closes his eyes, screams, and pushes forward with his hands. He lands on his stomach if he hits the ground during the animation. A good keep away move.

Back A: Sneaky Pick Ax – Captain Toad swings his Pick Ax above his head as he turns around to slice in a downward arc. It does not have the best range, but is solid in damage and knockback.

Specials

B: Pick Ax Rage – Captain Toad holds out his Pick Ax and goes berserk, swinging the weapon up and down. He can then pick a horizontal direction to go for a brief period or stay in place for a brief period.

This works in the air. However, there is end lag after the move.

Side B: Mine Kart – A mine kart appears in a puff of smoke and Toad jumps in. The kart goes in the direction picked on golden tracks for a short distance (the track can be curved slightly up or down) before hitting the end of the track and puffing away in a shower of broken boards. Captain Toad is launched while spinning in a ball.

The Kart does good knockback and the spinning Toad still does damage and some knockback. Toad cannot jump or attack until he hits the floor or grabs the ledge. This move can cover long distances.

Down B: Double Cherry – Captain Toad holds up a double cherry. He then splits into two Toads, each doing a short dash in opposite directions with their hands out for a push. After the animation, one Toad vanishes into a puff of pink smoke and the other remains on screen.

When Captain Toad is holding up the Double Cherry, the player can input left or right. The chosen direction will be the Toad that remains after the attack.

Up B: Propeller Hat – Toad puts on a Propeller Hat and flies upwards the distance of Luigi’s Up B (except the direction can be altered as long as Toad is wearing the hat), before the hat comes off and keeps flying upwards. Toad falls straight down, his heavy backpack plummeting him to the ground.

The hat does weak multiple hits and when Captain Toad falls he can knock opponents away.

Grab

(R): Cannon – Toad grabs with his stumpy arms. A press of (A) will have the Captain deliver a head butt with his lamp. A press of any direction will have him stuff the enemy into a turnip cannon.

The cannon will face the direction pressed, but can then be rotated at various angles before it fires. A red Crosshair will show where the cannon is pointed

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It's not so much about canon, but rather how Nintendo represents the game to their audiences.

If they really wanted Captain Toad to stand as his own character they could very easily do so, instead they make Toad part of the marketing and keep in mind that they are also aiming for family audiences that likely only know the Toads from Mario Kart and the New Super Mario Bros series. So when they see a game called Captain Toad bundled with a Toad amiibo they are going to look at them as the same dude and I think Nintendo is well aware of that and they certainly don't seem to mind since Mario Maker regardless of it's canonical status now actually made a direct Toad = Captain Toad statement.
I'd argue that the Toad amiibo is just there because of the functionality in the game. It's the only amiibo that works in TT, after all. Other than that, an interview with one of the more major people behind the series holds more weight than a pin for pre-orders and a reference in Mario Maker. But again, that's just me. Opinions are opinions, you have yours, and I have mine.
According to this logic, it makes sense for Tingle to get in Smash and wear Fierce Deity Mask as his Final Smash because it appeared in the same game as Tingle did. :troll:
Ehh, not really. Tingle isn't known for wearing masks, whereas Ness and Lucas are known for using PSI abilities. Borrowing them from other characters is just an extension of that.

Although I can tell you're probably joking. :p

----------

Bowserlick Bowserlick

Glad to see that you're improving! Overall, the set is rather solid, although I do have a few criticisms:
  • The set overall is a bit prop-heavy for my tastes, particularly with the Up Special (blah blah blah he never used it yadda yadda yadda I'll move on). But that's a rather minor complaint.
  • A stun effect on a tilt of all things seems a bit tacky and out of place, but at least it doesn't seem too overpowered (believe me, that's an easy trap to fall into when dealing with stun effects).
  • I feel that there's a lot of wasted potential with Down Special. It'd be really cool if it functioned like in Treasure Tracker, where the clone stays out and can attack, but goes away after getting hit. Imagine edgeguarding below the ledge by creating a clone and having it drop below the stage, use an aerial, and then kill itself, with the "real" Captain still on top. It could be balanced by the clone still adding to the damage counter, or pulling out the cherry taking a while, or something along those lines.
So yeah, overall it's a pretty solid set. Nothing too outstanding, but nothing terrible or broken either. The best two pieces of advice I can give you -- which apply to any moveset really -- are:
  • Detail is everything. If you want your moveset to be better, then list damage amounts, KO percents, how far they reach, about how slow they are, et cetera. It goes a long way towards getting people to better understand your set.
  • While this set is rather solid, it lacks one thing (besides a final smash): a coherent playstyle. What's that? Well, it's kinda hard to explain, but I'mma try to anyway. Basically, it's how every move, stat, everything combines to form a style of play. For instance, Toon Link's mobility and variety of projectiles contribute to his playstyle of a zoner. His mobility lets him keep away from opponents, and his projectiles let him attack while doing so. That sorta thing. Sonic's speed makes him a rushdown type, Jigglypuff is an aerial fighter thanks to its high air speed and low ground speed, etc. If you set out from, well, the outset, with a clear playstyle idea in mind, then your set will be a lot better and more coherent for it.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would say Captain Toad's moveset that I made has a Bait-and-Punish playstyle similar to Kirby.

With his low hops and strong aerials, Captain Toad can use a few of his aerials like ground moves. His up tilt chains into itself and his Up Smash. Because of his poor range on many attacks and his restrictive movement on the ground, Captain Toad wants to get in, bait a mistake, and punish with his quick, powerful moves. His forward tilt can stun for a setup and his cannon throw, that can be aimed, could lead into further setups. He can chase a fleeing enemy with any of his specials.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue that the Toad amiibo is just there because of the functionality in the game. It's the only amiibo that works in TT, after all. Other than that, an interview with one of the more major people behind the series holds more weight than a pin for pre-orders and a reIerence in Mario Maker. But again, that's just me. Opinions are opinions, you have yours, and I have mine.

Ehh, not really. Tingle isn't known for wearing masks, whereas Ness and Lucas are known for using PSI abilities. Borrowing them from other characters is just an extension of that.

Although I can tell you're probably joking. :p

----------

Bowserlick Bowserlick

Glad to see that you're improving! Overall, the set is rather solid, although I do have a few criticisms:
  • The set overall is a bit prop-heavy for my tastes, particularly with the Up Special (blah blah blah he never used it yadda yadda yadda I'll move on). But that's a rather minor complaint.
  • A stun effect on a tilt of all things seems a bit tacky and out of place, but at least it doesn't seem too overpowered (believe me, that's an easy trap to fall into when dealing with stun effects).
  • I feel that there's a lot of wasted potential with Down Special. It'd be really cool if it functioned like in Treasure Tracker, where the clone stays out and can attack, but goes away after getting hit. Imagine edgeguarding below the ledge by creating a clone and having it drop below the stage, use an aerial, and then kill itself, with the "real" Captain still on top. It could be balanced by the clone still adding to the damage counter, or pulling out the cherry taking a while, or something along those lines.
So yeah, overall it's a pretty solid set. Nothing too outstanding, but nothing terrible or broken either. The best two pieces of advice I can give you -- which apply to any moveset really -- are:
  • Detail is everything. If you want your moveset to be better, then list damage amounts, KO percents, how far they reach, about how slow they are, et cetera. It goes a long way towards getting people to better understand your set.
  • While this set is rather solid, it lacks one thing (besides a final smash): a coherent playstyle. What's that? Well, it's kinda hard to explain, but I'mma try to anyway. Basically, it's how every move, stat, everything combines to form a style of play. For instance, Toon Link's mobility and variety of projectiles contribute to his playstyle of a zoner. His mobility lets him keep away from opponents, and his projectiles let him attack while doing so. That sorta thing. Sonic's speed makes him a rushdown type, Jigglypuff is an aerial fighter thanks to its high air speed and low ground speed, etc. If you set out from, well, the outset, with a clear playstyle idea in mind, then your set will be a lot better and more coherent for it.
Personally I consider ingame information, word of god and marketing to be on an equal level, mainly because they are all things Nintendo as a company approves of and has a hand in.

But as you said, that's just our differing opinions talking, we really don't know what's truly up and can only speculate with the information we are given, naturally everyone finds more value/creditability in certain aspects then others and there really is no right or wrong in those scenarios.

Top Bottom