• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Pretty damn much folks. I think Captain Toad's pretty much a firm form of "The Toad" we should go for today.

In short, if this was Captain Toad (Down to backpack + headlamp), the we should be worried a tad more. Also, IIRC didn't we have Toad Hat before all this?
It was technically a Super Mushroom hat -- the colors are inverted. Red background, white spots. I guess it resembled his small form, though. That's a stretch though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It was technically a Super Mushroom hat -- the colors are inverted. Red background, white spots. I guess it resembled his small form, though. That's a stretch though.
Oh, that clears my memory up a bit then.

Well, I can only hope we come to a day where Captain Toad being confirmed, one of the screenshots is him posing with plenty of those Toad Miis.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That'd be kind of easy to do, I suppose? IDK if to bank on it to happen too much though, but still.
It'd only require changing the colors and adding an accessory or two (like the blue member's glasses). The backpack would be kept, since it'd most likely be inkorporated into attacks.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I cast a last minute vote for Toad...
Why, oh why is Toad still not a fighter? It just seems so wrong to have all the Mario stars without Toad. The Mii Fighter costume is nice and all but it is not really Toad. If the problem is because he is not unique enough since everything he can do, Mario and Luigi already can do... well, then please revisit Wario's Woods where Toad is the star of his own game. Stacking up monsters and bombs, carrying them around and throwing them everywhere... no one else can do that. That's all on Toad. It would be nice to have Wario's Woods as a stage as well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I finally bought a second Toad amiibo yesterday. I am going to use that for the pixel Toad thing in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. :)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't know what to say about this, except that it's funny:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Greetings, the name is warelander, I'm new here and would love to join the Brigade, because I love Toad and consider him one of Nintendo's most underappreciated Characters.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the warm welcome! It's going to be nice to be able to show support alongside other fans of that lovable fungus fellow!

Speaking of that, I have been thinking about how one could incorporate some Wario's Woods elements in an otherwise Captain Toad based moveset in a meaningfull way and the bombs, kicks and maybe even the wall running aren't the only things that could work, in fact I think I have found a handy solution for the "he can't jump" argument: Wanda.

Off course she would be the one to provide (Captain) Toad with bombs like she did in Woods, but she could also lift him from the ground and give him jumps similar to Meta Knight, exept A LOT more slugish, to make up for him having a really good ground game.

The downside to this idea is that making a fully animated model for just a handfull of actions would likely be too much of a hassle, thougth they just have her come out of the backpack whenever needed, which would mean less animations to deal with.

I just think this would be a neat way to stay true to the Captain Toad playstyle, by having him rely on an ally from a previous Toad game to give him an airgame of any kind, a way to mix Woods and Treasure Tracker into a moveset, in a way that feels meaningfull.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I think it'd just be better to give him jumps, albeit poor ones, with the explanation that he lightened his load for his inklusion in Smash. For one, Wario's Woods isn't exactly a well-known title; not many people would have any idea what this fairy thing is. Captain Toad was also confirmed to be a separate entity from the Toad from WW in an interview, so it'd be out of character. It'd also go against the idea of Captain Toad being terrible at jumping if he had multiple midair jumps, no matter what animation you put on it in attempt to justify it.

As for what could be used in replacement of that to give Captain Toad some semblence of a midair presence, I believe that the best course of action here would be to have him use and manipulate the environment, like he does in Treasure Tracker. He'd create platforms, minecarts to aid horizontal mobility -- his all around mobility would be poor, not just jump height -- turnip cannons to cover approaches, et cetera. Well, he wouldn't create them himself; rather, I picture the glove doing that. Y'know, the transparent glove that appears when you tap the gamepad screen in 3D World and Treasure Tracker, and that can move platforms, stun enemies, and such. Here's a more detailed description of this idea, from another thread:
Captain Toad has awful mobility, ground speed, jumps, and air speed, but can get around by "building" structures. By "building," I mean "having a Treasure-Tracker-Slash-3D-World-Wii-U-Gamepad-Interaction-Hand make stuff for him." "Building" just sounds a lot catchier. Anyway, Captain Toad doesn't expect it (but the player does ofc), but he works around it and uses the structures to the best of his ability. It's kinda like :4duckhunt:, where you control the duo and the zapper person -- here, you control Captain Toad and the gamepad person.
  • Neutral Special is the Super Pickaxe, a slow but powerful move that can also destroy structures.
  • Side Special is the Minecart, where the hand picks up the Captain and drops him in a minecart (which appears in a puff of smoke and confetti), and then pushes the cart forwards. Stood on like a platform, and thus great for approaching with various attacks. The minecart itself doesn't deal damage, and only one can be out at a time.
  • Up Special is the Propeller Platform. Created above him on the ground or below him in the air, and only one can be out at once. Using the move again causes the propeller to spin, making the platform ascend. This has a limit, and otherwise, the platform slowly descends, more quickly so if it falls far enough below the stage. It goes away upon touching the ground, and can't be used again after Captain Toad jumps off, until he lands on solid ground.
  • Down Special is the Turnip Cannon, which consistently fires turnips that can damage both foes and Captain Toad himself. The rate of fire is one per second, there can be one cannon out at a time, and it can be aimed. The cannon can be made on either of the aforementioned structures, allowing for a variety of options. If the cannon's platform is destroyed, it'll fall.
  • Jab is a rapid coin sprout pluck.
  • Multiple standards involve swinging the backpack, and up tilt and aerial have a Potted Piranha Plant come out of his backpack.
  • Down Tilt has a Brick Block fall out of his backpack and land behind him. Cannons can be placed on top of them, minecarts will bounce off of them and change direction but break the block in the process like a Koopa shell from the Mario series, and the blocks can be destroyed by attacks. They also deal a potent meteor smash if dropped off of a ledge.
  • Forward Smash has him pluck a turnip and throw it, and it grows in size with charge.
  • Up Smash is a bouncy mushroom pad, which bounces him up a great distance, allowing for vertical follow-ups.
  • Down Smash is the backpack spin easter egg from Treasure Tracker.
  • Grab has the hand pull out a clear pipe from the ground to trap opponents (in the air, it's a grappling hook that aids recovery). Pummel has Fuzzies come through the pipe to damage opponents, up and back throws have the pipe turn into a cannon, down throw slams the pipe against the ground after it extends, and forward throw is a Piranha Plant.
  • Final Smash is the Starshroom. The Toad Brigade members dangle below it, with the bottom one wielding a souped-up turnip cannon. These turnips are explode-y turnips. Cool, eh?
  • Captain Toadette alt, as well as alts for the four other Toad Brigade members.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
My moveset is meant to be really general, supporting either Captain Toad or classic Toad.
It has a Wario's Woods Bomb as its down special.
Have I posted my moveset here?
I think I have.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The thing about making a moveset that could fit multiple different characters, is that you almost always either A) make it out of character for at least one of the characters involved, and/or B) you miss out on much of the unique potential of, and thus the reason to make a set for, at least one character. I'll illustrate my point with an example. Let's say you took Luigi's moveset, and put Mario in instead of Luigi. It'd be weird, right? Luigi's moveset, with its awkward movement, scaredy-cat animations, and overall strangeness, is handcrafted specifically for Luigi and what makes him unique. Mario has none of those traits. This is an example of a set that's made specifically for one character, which is a good thing; it conveys the character, and combines it seamlessly with the moveset. For another example, although of a different type of uniqueness -- props and abilities instead of a general, slightly subtler theme -- take Kirby's moveset and give it to Bowser. Or Villager's set to Little Mac. You get the gist.

Now consider Captain Falcon. While his moveset is rather awesome, it's not really tuned specifically for him; any regularly-shaped guy could use that moveset. (And no, the fire and such don't make it unique to him; he never did that in his games either.) This makes sense, considering Smash's early origins as a fighting game with regularly-shaped guys; this would appear to be the remnants of that early phase of development. Nevertheless, we can still use it as an example. It fits the character, but isn't unique to the character, which should be strived for. Smash doesn't have any actual instances of characters with out-of-character elements in their sets, but the stuff I mentioned earlier -- like Bowser with Kirby's moves -- is a good theoretical example of that.

But what does any of this have to do with Toad? I mean, they're pretty much the same person, right?

Well, no. Captain Toad =/= WW Toad (and it's reasonable to assume that Captain Toad =/= "The" Toad). But they do the same things, right?

No, actually. Captain Toad never did most of the WW stuff. He never had a fairy lift him up, he never ran up walls, etc. Similarly, WW Toad lacks a backpack, headlamp, never plucked turnips, didn't use the gamepad glove, et cetera. And neither of them rode karts, shot out spores, and did other things that "The" Toad did (and even then we run into the issue of not being unique, as other Mario characters have gone karting and such). There's the possibility that "The" Toad is also WW Toad, but I digress.

With a unified "Toad" moveset, we run into the issues I mentioned above. If we use unique traits from both, it's out of character -- WW Toad doesn't have a backpack, and Captain Toad doesn't use bombs, so giving them those traits would be out of character. If we only use traits shared by both, then it's in character, but not at all unique (and even if the two did have some semi-interesting traits shared between them, you'd still be missing out on the unique potential of both characters).

TL;DR: Making a "one size fits all" moveset either makes it out of character, since character A never used character B's stuff, or you miss out on the unique potential of both characters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch the new episode of Extra Credits.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I do think Toad and Captain Toad can be combined to some degree. Some people have posted a power-up/party game style moveset that relies heavily on items. This works with Captain Toad because of his backpack and by being a Toad.

However, Captain Toad's playable stats do not line up with Toad's stats. One being slow and the other being fast and powerful. But a Cpt. Toad with his own stats and with a power up/sports moveset featuring items in his backpack does work for me.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I do think Toad and Captain Toad can be combined to some degree. Some people have posted a power-up/party game style moveset that relies heavily on items. This works with Captain Toad because of his backpack and by being a Toad.

However, Captain Toad's playable stats do not line up with Toad's stats. One being slow and the other being fast and powerful. But a Cpt. Toad with his own stats and with a power up/sports moveset featuring items in his backpack does work for me.
Captain Toad never plays sports, though. It's out of character.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
He hunts for treasure. So as long as he takes a sports item out of his backpack, I think it works.
Last I checked, he never found a golf club while he was out exploring in Treasure Tracker. :p

Even if he was shown to own a golf club, there's nothing to say that he'd be good at using one. Not to mention that Captain Toad has more than enough unique gameplay possibilities to make a moveset out of, so this sports stuff is unnecessary to begin with.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The thing about making a moveset that could fit multiple different characters, is that you almost always either A) make it out of character for at least one of the characters involved, and/or B) you miss out on much of the unique potential of, and thus the reason to make a set for, at least one character. I'll illustrate my point with an example. Let's say you took Luigi's moveset, and put Mario in instead of Luigi. It'd be weird, right? Luigi's moveset, with its awkward movement, scaredy-cat animations, and overall strangeness, is handcrafted specifically for Luigi and what makes him unique. Mario has none of those traits. This is an example of a set that's made specifically for one character, which is a good thing; it conveys the character, and combines it seamlessly with the moveset. For another example, although of a different type of uniqueness -- props and abilities instead of a general, slightly subtler theme -- take Kirby's moveset and give it to Bowser. Or Villager's set to Little Mac. You get the gist.

Now consider Captain Falcon. While his moveset is rather awesome, it's not really tuned specifically for him; any regularly-shaped guy could use that moveset. (And no, the fire and such don't make it unique to him; he never did that in his games either.) This makes sense, considering Smash's early origins as a fighting game with regularly-shaped guys; this would appear to be the remnants of that early phase of development. Nevertheless, we can still use it as an example. It fits the character, but isn't unique to the character, which should be strived for. Smash doesn't have any actual instances of characters with out-of-character elements in their sets, but the stuff I mentioned earlier -- like Bowser with Kirby's moves -- is a good theoretical example of that.

But what does any of this have to do with Toad? I mean, they're pretty much the same person, right?

Well, no. Captain Toad =/= WW Toad (and it's reasonable to assume that Captain Toad =/= "The" Toad). But they do the same things, right?

No, actually. Captain Toad never did most of the WW stuff. He never had a fairy lift him up, he never ran up walls, etc. Similarly, WW Toad lacks a backpack, headlamp, never plucked turnips, didn't use the gamepad glove, et cetera. And neither of them rode karts, shot out spores, and did other things that "The" Toad did (and even then we run into the issue of not being unique, as other Mario characters have gone karting and such). There's the possibility that "The" Toad is also WW Toad, but I digress.

With a unified "Toad" moveset, we run into the issues I mentioned above. If we use unique traits from both, it's out of character -- WW Toad doesn't have a backpack, and Captain Toad doesn't use bombs, so giving them those traits would be out of character. If we only use traits shared by both, then it's in character, but not at all unique (and even if the two did have some semi-interesting traits shared between them, you'd still be missing out on the unique potential of both characters).

TL;DR: Making a "one size fits all" moveset either makes it out of character, since character A never used character B's stuff, or you miss out on the unique potential of both characters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch the new episode of Extra Credits.
I understand what you are saying, but I disagree.
If Captain Toad gets in, but his moves only represent one game, that'd be a disappointment. It'd do a poor job of representing Toad's significance throughout nintendo history.
:4duckhunt:'s moveset is great, it has a lot of representative value because it references games other than Duck Hunt.
My Toad moveset, in the special's and final smash alone, references SMB3, NSMBWii, Galaxy, 3D World, Treasure Tracker, Wario's Woods, and even Mario Kart.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I understand what you are saying, but I disagree.
If Captain Toad gets in, but his moves only represent one game, that'd be a disappointment. It'd do a poor job of representing Toad's significance throughout nintendo history.
Toad's significance to Nintendo's history is irrelevant to Captain Toad, though. Captain Toad's moves only representing one game for the most part wouldn't be that much of a letdown, since he only has one game to draw much from.
:4duckhunt:'s moveset is great, it has a lot of representative value because it references games other than Duck Hunt.
Yes, but Duck Hunt needed that. There isn't a lot of stuff in Duck Hunt to make a moveset out of, so they made the character represent the Light Gun as a whole, which is fine... for Duck Hunt. Captain Toad doesn't need to draw from games he isn't in, as he's got more than enough stuff from Treasure Tracker to make a unique, interesting moveset out of by itself. You're making Captain Toad represent the Toads as a whole, but he doesn't need to. It's unnecessary, and it'd be better if it didn't, both for being in-character and for fully exploring the concepts that Treasure Tracker presents rather than slapping together a bunch of Toad-related stuff and calling it a day.
My Toad moveset, in the special's and final smash alone, references SMB3, NSMBWii, Galaxy, 3D World, Treasure Tracker, Wario's Woods, and even Mario Kart.
But the same character isn't in all of those games. It's out of character for Captain Toad to use sports equipment and other things, and it's out of character for "The" Toad to use Captain Toad's equipment. Saying that "they're both Toads, so they can both use the same things" is like saying that Luigi gets F.L.U.D.D. because Mario and Luigi are both humans. That's just being Toadist. :p

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Toad's significance to Nintendo's history is irrelevant to Captain Toad, though. Captain Toad's moves only representing one game for the most part wouldn't be that much of a letdown, since he only has one game to draw much from.

Yes, but Duck Hunt needed that. There isn't a lot of stuff in Duck Hunt to make a moveset out of, so they made the character represent the Light Gun as a whole, which is fine... for Duck Hunt. Captain Toad doesn't need to draw from games he isn't in, as he's got more than enough stuff from Treasure Tracker to make a unique, interesting moveset out of by itself. You're making Captain Toad represent the Toads as a whole, but he doesn't need to. It's unnecessary, and it'd be better if it didn't, both for being in-character and for fully exploring the concepts that Treasure Tracker presents rather than slapping together a bunch of Toad-related stuff and calling it a day.

But the same character isn't in all of those games. It's out of character for Captain Toad to use sports equipment and other things, and it's out of character for "The" Toad to use Captain Toad's equipment. Saying that "they're both Toads, so they can both use the same things" is like saying that Luigi gets F.L.U.D.D. because Mario and Luigi are both humans. That's just being Toadist. :p
Captain Toad is only a good choice in light of the idea that he can stand in for Toad proper.
If one ignores Toad's importance throughout Mario's history, Captain Toad becomes a 1 game character. Very poor choice.
Most of us Duck Hunt Dog supporters came up with movesets taken entirely from Duck Hunt. It is quite easy. The moveset the 2 actually got was far superior because it referenced multiple games.

In a sense the same character is in all those games. If Captain Toad isn't THE Toad, he is at least shaping up to be the successor to the Toad. They may not be the same character in universe, but that isn't important. The role they play out of universe is important. Villager isn't important at all in universe, but Animal Crossing is a very important game for nintendo. Villager's moves reference the important elements of Animal Crossing.

That's why Captain Toad or Toad's moveset should represent the role and importance of Toads throughout the Mario series. My Moveset has SMB3's item chest because Toad's are associated with power ups- out of universe, by us. It has the Minecart to represent Captain Toad, which seems to us to be one of Toad's important Solo adventures. It has Wario's Woods bombs and the Propeller Helmet for the same reason.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Here is my idea for Captain Toad's specials.

Toad’s specials are items. Each B combination will pull out a different glowing power-up item from his backpack.

A press of (B) will give Captain Toad a Power-up. A press of (A) will have him toss it as a projectile. Toad cannot pull out another item if a previous item is on the screen. If Toad is hit while carrying an item, the item will disappear instantly.

B: Mine cart – Takes out a mine cart out of his backpack and holds it above his head
(B) Quickly places the mine cart down in front of him and jumps in. A gold track appears underneath (even in air). The mine cart travels a very short distance before falling off the track, if in the air, or disappearing, if on land. Toad is catapulted forward while spinning. The kart does decent damage and knockback, while the launched Toad does minor damage and knockback. Cannot attack until Toad lands on the ground.

(A) Tosses the mine cart in an arc. It smashes into the ground or an opponent and breaks for good damage and good knockback. The mine cart is a large hit-box, but is tossed slowly.

Up B: Propeller Hat – Takes a Propeller Hat out of his backpack and holds it above his head
(B) Puts on the hat and flies upwards with some control from side to side. The propeller does multi-hits with the last tossing the enemy away with some knockback. Captain Toad falls straight down afterwards from his heavy backpack.

(A) Toad lobs the Propeller Hat, which then flies quickly up, doing damage with its spinning blades. Last hit as decent knockback.

Side B: Super Pickax – Takes a Super Pickax out of his backpack and holds it above his head
(B) Toad flashes while constantly hacking away with the pickax as his moves horizontal in the direction pressed for a limited time. The direction can be switched once while in use.

(A) Toad chucks the PickAx forward which does good damage, but little knockback.

Down B: Potted Piranha Plant – Takes a Potted Plant out of his backpack and holds it above his head.
(B) The piranha plant shoots upwards from a long stalk and takes a big chomp before descending back into the pot, which disappears in a puff. Great knockback.

(A) Captain Toad bowls the potted plant along the ground or at a downward angle if used in the air. The pot bounces three times with some homing capacity. If an opponent is near, it will snap at them for decent knockback.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Captain Toad is only a good choice in light of the idea that he can stand in for Toad proper.
If one ignores Toad's importance throughout Mario's history, Captain Toad becomes a 1 game character. Very poor choice.
So Ness, Lucas, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Shulk, and (gasp) Duck Hunt Dog are poor choices, then?
Most of us Duck Hunt Dog supporters came up with movesets taken entirely from Duck Hunt. It is quite easy. The moveset the 2 actually got was far superior because it referenced multiple games.
Yes, because again, Duck Hunt needs that to make an interesting, unique, standout moveset (from what I've seen, anyways). Captain Toad does not. He has more than enough stuff to make an entire, unique moveset around.

Although, there is something from Duck Hunt that we can also apply to Captain Toad: he represents the hardware of the Zapper. Captain Toad could represent the Wii U's gamepad, with the glove appearing to do stuff that I described earlier.
In a sense the same character is in all those games. If Captain Toad isn't THE Toad, he is at least shaping up to be the successor to the Toad. They may not be the same character in universe, but that isn't important.
Yes, it is. If you're making a moveset for a character, then the character is of the utmost importance. If you're not, then you fall into the multiple traps I described earlier. Being the successor to someone doesn't make them the same character; Donkey Kong doesn't do the same stuff as Cranky Kong. Also, I don't see Captain Toad replacing Toad in Mario Kart anytime soon. He's a separate character, with a separate role, separate abilities, separate disabilities, separate personality, and a separate place in the franchise. The only similarity that Captain Toad has with "The" Toad is in species and basic appearance (which basically comes with the species, as all Toads look essentially the same). That's it.
The role they play out of universe is important. Villager isn't important at all in universe, but Animal Crossing is a very important game for nintendo. Villager's moves reference the important elements of Animal Crossing.
The Villager is most certainly important in-universe; he's the mayor of the entire town of Smashville!
That's why Captain Toad or Toad's moveset should represent the role and importance of Toads throughout the Mario series. My Moveset has SMB3's item chest because Toad's are associated with power ups- out of universe, by us. It has the Minecart to represent Captain Toad, which seems to us to be one of Toad's important Solo adventures. It has Wario's Woods bombs and the Propeller Helmet for the same reason.
But the thing is, Captain Toad has been identified as a character completely separate from any other Toad in the series.They're the same species, but that doesn't mean that you should just lump them together in Smash Brothers. Saying that a moveset should represent all Toads is like making a Sonic moveset that also has Silver's TK, Amy's hammer, and Shadow's jet boots (I would say Chaos Control, but Sonic can do that too apparently :p) so that it can represent all the hedgehogs in the series. Sonic doesn't use TK, or a hammer, or jet boots, and Captain Toad doesn't use item chests, bombs, and propeller helmets. It's out of character, is incoherent, and doesn't really make any sense. (And it's also Toadist.)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
...Captain Toad doesn't use item chests, bombs, and propeller helmets. It's out of character, is incoherent, and doesn't really make any sense. (And it's also Toadist.)
Captain Toad can use power-ups. Chest, bombs, and propeller helmets exist in the Mario Universe. Captain Toad would be able to use them.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Captain Toad can use power-ups. Chest, bombs, and propeller helmets exist in the Mario Universe. Captain Toad would be able to use them.
Yes, but that's not a part of his character. That's like saying that since hookshots exist in the Zelda series, Ganon should use them when they finally give him an actual moveset. Ganon never used the hookshot, and Captain Toad never used chests, bombs, and propeller helmets. Using stuff from the series in general is fine, don't get me wrong, but if there's unique potential for a character, that should be prioritized far above generic stuff that any other character from the game can do.

On the subject of your moveset, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan. Firstly, sets should have more than just specials, otherwise they're just concepts rather than actual movesets. Which is fine depending on what you want to do, but seeing as how you posted the set to Make Your Move (and in the previous contest, at that :p), I felt it was worth bringing up.

As for what is here, the system you have in place here is pretty tacky. For one, many of the secondary functions don't really fit the item, and some of them could be implemented if each item was just activated when you pressed the button like any other special move (the propeller hat, for example, could cause him to ascend right when you press up special, but pressing it again would cause it to fly off and act as an upwards projectile). Also, it makes doing these moves a lot slower than they need to be, and isn't really necessary to begin with. Don't change the inputs for the sake of being "unique;" that should come with what the inputs do. The exception comes when there's a good reason to change the inputs up. Ryu does it as an homage to Street Fighter. Captain Toad does it because... I guess he holds stuff above his head in his game...?

And then you've got the up special using things that Captain Toad has never used before, thus making it rather out of character. (I think he used the potted plant in one of the bonus stages in Treasure Tracker, the ones that were ported from 3D World, which is fine in my book.)

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about it more I would actually be fine with a 100% Captain Toad based moveset, especially in light of the fact that the whole Captain Toad identity subject is unbeliavably messy.

The thing is I still think that "The" Toad and Captain Toad being the same Individual makes the most sense, the Galaxys have artwork of him, even thought he wouldn't even be in either game if he wasn't the Captain, this was his life icon in the first 3D World trailer:

,Treasure Tracker went out of it's way to add Toadette as his Partner, something that was only ever associated with "The" Toad and Mario Maker outright states them to be the same dude.

At the end of the day I blame the lack of clear direction of the Mario cast for all the uncertainty regarding who Captain Toad is, Mario games go through dozens of teams with their own visions, which sometimes tend to clash, Modern Donkey Kong has been refered to as Arcade DK on more then one occasion and the Mario VS DK series even assigned him as the designated Pauline kidnapper, Captain Toad is in a similar position, the fact that we have one Interview and one (much later released) game make such strongly contradicting claims from eachother proves that there is no direction.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Thinking about it more I would actually be fine with a 100% Captain Toad based moveset, especially in light of the fact that the whole Captain Toad identity subject is umbeliavably messy.

The thing is I still think that "The" Toad and Captain Toad being the same Individual makes the most sense, the Galaxys have artwork of him, even thought he wouldn't even be in either game if he wasn't the Captain, this was his life icon in the first 3D World trailer:

,Treasure Tracker went out of it's way to add Toadette as his Partner, something that was only ever associated with "The" Toad and Mario Maker outright states them to be the same dude.

At the end of the day I blame the lack of clear direction of the Mario cast for all the uncertainty regarding who Captain Toad is, Mario games go through dozens of teams sich their visions, which sometimes tend to clash, Modern Donkey Kong has been refered to as Arcade DK on more then one occasion and the Mario VS DK series even assigned him as the designated Pauline kidnapper, Captain Toad is in a similar position, the fact that we have one Interview and one (much later released) games make such strongly contradicting claims from eachother proves that there is no direction.
I pass off the 3D World trailer as a beta element (and thus non-canon), and the Toadette argument as Toadette just being a generic female toad with the Captain version being a specific character (like Captain Toad to the Toad species), but I do agree that it's a pretty messy subject overall. Toads are genderless, Captain Toad simultaneously is and isn't "The" Toad depending on which Nintendo official you ask, Miyamoto is Bowser Jr.'s mom, the Piantas can't tell a silhouette of Mario from the real deal when he just arrived on the island, Bowser recently abandoned the Koopalings as his children, and babies time travel to the future on a regular basis for go-kart races. Mario canon, everyone. Anyway. In situations like this, I think it's best to stick to what we know: Captain Toad does stuff that Captain Toad can do. Anything else is unknown, so better safe than sorry.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yes, but that's not a part of his character. That's like saying that since hookshots exist in the Zelda series, Ganon should use them when they finally give him an actual moveset. Ganon never used the hookshot, and Captain Toad never used chests, bombs, and propeller helmets. Using stuff from the series in general is fine, don't get me wrong, but if there's unique potential for a character, that should be prioritized far above generic stuff that any other character from the game can do.
Ganondorf is a bad example because he does not use many moves from his actual game. Zelda uses special moves (at least variations of) that only Link uses. But this fits Zelda, because she has the Triforce of Wisdom and magic complements that theme. So Smash has done this before.

Mario characters can use power-ups that exist in their world. Generic Toads use them. Bowser uses them. Plumbers use them. And in Mariokart all characters use them.

On the subject of your moveset, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan. Firstly, sets should have more than just specials, otherwise they're just concepts rather than actual movesets. Which is fine depending on what you want to do, but seeing as how you posted the set to Make Your Move (and in the previous contest, at that :p), I felt it was worth bringing up.

As for what is here, the system you have in place here is pretty tacky. For one, many of the secondary functions don't really fit the item, and some of them could be implemented if each item was just activated when you pressed the button like any other special move (the propeller hat, for example, could cause him to ascend right when you press up special, but pressing it again would cause it to fly off and act as an upwards projectile). Also, it makes doing these moves a lot slower than they need to be, and isn't really necessary to begin with. Don't change the inputs for the sake of being "unique;" that should come with what the inputs do. The exception comes when there's a good reason to change the inputs up. Ryu does it as an homage to Street Fighter. Captain Toad does it because... I guess he holds stuff above his head in his game...?

I will post the rest of the moveset eventually. The post in the Make Your Move was an accidental post in the wrong thread.

Captain Toad would be relatively slow with bad jumps to reflect his game. So he needs ways to move and ways to attack evasive opponents. How is this accomplished? With an item that could either be a projectile or an alternative way of movement. Both options keep his opponent guessing on which way he will decide to utilize his treasure. This also fits into the theme of exploration and treasure hunting. Plucking the item can be quick, but is a price for having double the options.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Ganondorf is a bad example because he does not use many moves from his actual game.
That's irrelevant to the matter. We're speaking hypothetically here. If Ganon had the hookshot, it'd be out of character. If Captain Toad used power-ups he's never used before, it'd be out of character.
Zelda uses special moves (at least variations of) that only Link uses. But this fits Zelda, because she has the Triforce of Wisdom and magic complements that theme. So Smash has done this before.
It goes a bit deeper than that, actually. Zelda is the descendent of the goddess Hylia, and Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love are all associated directly with goddesses in Ocarina of Time. Thus, it makes sense that the descendant of a goddess would be the one to use these attacks. Subtle characterization at its finest.
Mario characters can use power-ups that exist in their world. Generic Toads use them. Bowser uses them. Plumbers use them. And in Mariokart all characters use them.
Yes, but Captain Toad doesn't. Captain Toad is literally the worst choice for someone to use these power-ups (okay, it's more like a six-million-way tie), since he's never used them before.
I will post the rest of the moveset eventually. The post in the Make Your Move was an accidental post in the wrong thread.
Happens to all of us. :p
Captain Toad would be relatively slow with bad jumps to reflect his game. So he needs ways to move and ways to attack evasive opponents. How is this accomplished? With an item that could either be a projectile or an alternative way of movement. Both options keep his opponent guessing on which way he will decide to utilize his treasure. This also fits into the theme of exploration and treasure hunting. Plucking the item can be quick, but is a price for having double the options.
Or, we could do something that's actually in-character and reflective of something that Captain Toad's actually done before, such as this:
Captain Toad has awful mobility, ground speed, jumps, and air speed, but can get around by "building" structures. By "building," I mean "having a Treasure-Tracker-Slash-3D-World-Wii-U-Gamepad-Interaction-Hand make stuff for him." "Building" just sounds a lot catchier. Anyway, Captain Toad doesn't expect it (but the player does ofc), but he works around it and uses the structures to the best of his ability. It's kinda like :4duckhunt:, where you control the duo and the zapper person -- here, you control Captain Toad and the gamepad person.
  • Neutral Special is the Super Pickaxe, a slow but powerful move that can also destroy structures.
  • Side Special is the Minecart, where the hand picks up the Captain and drops him in a minecart (which appears in a puff of smoke and confetti), and then pushes the cart forwards. Stood on like a platform, and thus great for approaching with various attacks. The minecart itself doesn't deal damage, and only one can be out at a time.
  • Up Special is the Propeller Platform. Created above him on the ground or below him in the air, and only one can be out at once. Using the move again causes the propeller to spin, making the platform ascend. This has a limit, and otherwise, the platform slowly descends, more quickly so if it falls far enough below the stage. It goes away upon touching the ground, and can't be used again after Captain Toad jumps off, until he lands on solid ground.
  • Down Special is the Turnip Cannon, which consistently fires turnips that can damage both foes and Captain Toad himself. The rate of fire is one per second, there can be one cannon out at a time, and it can be aimed. The cannon can be made on either of the aforementioned structures, allowing for a variety of options. If the cannon's platform is destroyed, it'll fall.
  • Jab is a rapid coin sprout pluck.
  • Multiple standards involve swinging the backpack, and up tilt and aerial have a Potted Piranha Plant come out of his backpack.
  • Down Tilt has a Brick Block fall out of his backpack and land behind him. Cannons can be placed on top of them, minecarts will bounce off of them and change direction but break the block in the process like a Koopa shell from the Mario series, and the blocks can be destroyed by attacks. They also deal a potent meteor smash if dropped off of a ledge.
  • Forward Smash has him pluck a turnip and throw it, and it grows in size with charge.
  • Up Smash is a bouncy mushroom pad, which bounces him up a great distance, allowing for vertical follow-ups.
  • Down Smash is the backpack spin easter egg from Treasure Tracker.
  • Grab has the hand pull out a clear pipe from the ground to trap opponents (in the air, it's a grappling hook that aids recovery). Pummel has Fuzzies come through the pipe to damage opponents, up and back throws have the pipe turn into a cannon, down throw slams the pipe against the ground after it extends, and forward throw is a Piranha Plant.
  • Final Smash is the Starshroom. The Toad Brigade members dangle below it, with the bottom one wielding a souped-up turnip cannon. These turnips are explode-y turnips. Cool, eh?
  • Captain Toadette alt, as well as alts for the four other Toad Brigade members.
The idea behind the "building structures" concept is that, since Captain Toad uses the environment to traverse in Treasure Tracker due to his poor mobility, he'd also do that in Smash, but he'd make the environment instead. It's made in-character via the gamepad glove, which is also a large part of Treasure Tracker, and as a bonus, it lets him showcase his helplessness and cowardice while still actually doing stuff -- the dodging animation, for inkstance, would have him cower in fear and cover his eyes while the glove lifts him in either direction. In-character, unique from a gameplay perspective, and faithful to the source material.

As for the points you make here, a better way to keep opponents guessing would be to just have the move activate when you press the button. If Captain Toad pulls out a minecart, that just makes him more predictable: he's either going to ride it or throw it. He loses options, thus making it bad for Captain Toad. I don't see how plucking stuff from the ground has much to do with exploration or treasure hunting. He's not exploring or hunting for anything; he plucks it, and it's there. It's not a price for having double the options; it's another handicap on top of becoming more predictable since you only have two options, as opposed to the myriad of actions that all characters have at any given moment in Smash Brothers.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It goes a bit deeper than that, actually. Zelda is the descendent of the goddess Hylia, and Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love are all associated directly with goddesses in Ocarina of Time. Thus, it makes sense that the descendant of a goddess would be the one to use these attacks. Subtle characterization at its finest.
Ness and Lucas use powers in Smash that they do not use in game. Other party members use them. Thus, Smash has already broken this barrier.

As for the points you make here, a better way to keep opponents guessing would be to just have the move activate when you press the button. If Captain Toad pulls out a minecart, that just makes him more predictable: he's either going to ride it or throw it. He loses options, thus making it bad for Captain Toad. I don't see how plucking stuff from the ground has much to do with exploration or treasure hunting. He's not exploring or hunting for anything; he plucks it, and it's there. It's not a price for having double the options; it's another handicap on top of becoming more predictable since you only have two options, as opposed to the myriad of actions that all characters have at any given moment in Smash Brothers.
Link and Peach do this with their Down B moves. The moves are still effective and have only one use. Captain Toad would have two. Plus he can move toward the opponent with a held item which creates pressure.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fair enough, thought I'd take the interview with a grain of salt after this:
Nice... so the Mushroom Retainers call THE Toad "Captain"... with the capital "C"....

So... according to Word of God, THE Toad and Captain Toad are two different characters... yet the games still imply they are the same person... Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D World, Treasure Tracker, and now Mario Maker... even THE Toad amiibo is compatible with Treasure Tracker.

Well, you know what they say... actions speak louder than words... ;)

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Ness and Lucas use powers in Smash that they do not use in game. Other party members use them. Thus, Smash has already broken this barrier.
Ness and Lucas use PSI moves, and they appeared in the same games as the moves they used in Smash. So, it makes enough sense for them to have these powers. Captain Toad isn't even in the same game as most of these power-ups. (Counting the Captain Toad minigame in 3D World as a separate game, since Mario and the Captain don't really interact in any way sans the credits, whereas Ness and Lucas do interact with their party members.)

I'll go out and say this right now, not every Smash moveset is perfect. Ness's (and by extension Lucas's) moveset originates from the Smash 64 era, which is about as out-of-character as movesets get. Case in point, Falcon Punch.
Link and Peach do this with their Down B moves. The moves are still effective and have only one use. Captain Toad would have two. Plus he can move toward the opponent with a held item which creates pressure.
The thing about the turnips and bombs is that no, they aren't restricted to only one option. Yes, the items only have one use -- being thrown -- but that can be done in four directions, and plus, the Links can drop theirs on the ground to act as timebombs. Unlike Captain Toad, they also have access to their specials, as well as full mobility, thus making the items more useful for comboing and such. Yes, of course the bombs and turnips do take away some options from Peach and the Links, but they also retain a lot of them and, furthermore, have quite a few uses on their own. Captain Toad's specials, on the other hand, give him a handicap; he can only do two things while he's holding any given item. And even then, the options don't seem nearly powerful enough to make up for that, especially when you can only have one thing onscreen at a time.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Nice... so the Mushroom Retainers call THE Toad "Captain"... with the capital "C"....

So... according to Word of God, THE Toad and Captain Toad are two different characters... yet the games still imply they are the same person... Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D World, Treasure Tracker, and now Mario Maker... even THE Toad amiibo is compatible with Treasure Tracker.

Well, you know what they say... actions speak louder than words... ;)
Not only that, they also released a Trasure Tracker + Toad amiibo bundle:

And offered a Toad keychain as a preorder bonus in the UK:

These sort of bundles and extras only ever feature characters from the games they are bundled with, which would not at all apply to Toad if he wasn't the Captain and I think that's a very important thing to point out, because marketing and advertising play a big part in how companys want customers to look at their products and by making Toad and not Captain Toad the face of these extras they make pretty clear points of who they want general customers to believe Captain Toad is.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
To me, WoG takes priority over some bundles and a reference in Mario Maker (which I don't think really counts as canon). But that's just me.

Top Bottom