• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Probably the most common question we get here. There are ways around it for sure however.

The reason for his backpack being the plot excuse to why he can't jump is of course he's weighed down by all his treasures/equipment. What a well prepared fellow.
However you could technically turn this weighing down into a mechanic for him in Smash by having him collect items to become heavier and harder to knock off the stage or unleash his load to make himself lighter and nimbler.

Alternatively you could have him not jump at all, and instead have his various jumps performed by other things to get him higher; a cannon, a floating platform, a ladder, etc. As Captain Toad is also about manipulating your environment to get around, having objects out of CT's physical body help him get around is rather in character I think.

Another option would be to sacrifice the two regular jumps entirely and have an absolutely amazing up+B as his sole recovery. Plenty of risk-reward if that's his only means of returning. To balance I'd hope he'd be given some incredible aerial attacks that deal serious damage; if only to encourage the players to do as Captain Toad does; and risk their life for some delicious rewards.
I see now. Well, I can see him working thanks to your explaination. Thank you! :)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I had a question about the thread's title
Why after the title there's an episode 10? What happened to episodes 1-9?
Any time anything vaguely positive or negative happens regarding Captain Toad we enter a new chapter. Originally done to match the game's storybook style, although just realised it should be Chapter not Episode. Whoops. Didn't even notice that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
so close yet so far
Not even mad. After three games of watching Toad just be an ineffectual hapless meatshield, it's nice we can SORT OF play as Toad a bit.

First match I'm sending him against Peach for those years of abuse.
Second match is against my Sakurai Mii for the same reasons.

What moveset would you give your Mii Toad?
The one I have at current has:
Shot Put
Burning Drop Kick
Soaring Axe kick
Head on assault

But now this outfit's out maybe I'll try a few combinations out.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is not what I wanted... sigh... :(

The Mii Brawler's moves don't even fit Toad... I wanted Toad to use mushrooms in his moveset at the very least.

Oh well, at least the Mii Brawler Toad resembles the tall Toads from SMB2 and SMB3 and the Mario anime from the 1980s... so that's somewhat cool.

I hope SSB5 will have the actual Toad playable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
oh hey i was finaly able to upload my toad stage on super mario maker yesterday so if any of you'd like to give a try 4747-0000-007D-615A

I feel like Captain Toad's chances are sliced completely at this point.

It's probably because of Toad's nose.
(Looks like you lost a bet)

Male Mii Toad's pupils are disturbingly big.... it looks like he has taken some Poison Mushrooms....

Don't believe that Captain Toad's chances are much lower, those are regular Toad costumes, not Captain Toad.

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Those Toad costumes are terrifying.

Also, since it's been mentioned, here is my Toad-themed Mario Maker level:
DDA1 0000 0030 7C31

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've long known that a Toad Mii fighter outfit would be the only mii fighter outfit I'd buy.
Now, I'm about to get one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally I don't think they look that bad. The Mii's face's are a little scary though.

Shame the female outfit wasn't a Toadette costume though. Wasted opportunity.
Unless Toadette is an alternate character skin for Captain Toad...! /straw grasping

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I like the Toad costume, it looks like the buff bad*** we all know he is on the inside :cool:.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I got my Toad, costume, and the mario maker stage.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Probably the most common question we get here. There are ways around it for sure however.

The reason for his backpack being the plot excuse to why he can't jump is of course he's weighed down by all his treasures/equipment. What a well prepared fellow.
However you could technically turn this weighing down into a mechanic for him in Smash by having him collect items to become heavier and harder to knock off the stage or unleash his load to make himself lighter and nimbler.

Alternatively you could have him not jump at all, and instead have his various jumps performed by other things to get him higher; a cannon, a floating platform, a ladder, etc. As Captain Toad is also about manipulating your environment to get around, having objects out of CT's physical body help him get around is rather in character I think.

Another option would be to sacrifice the two regular jumps entirely and have an absolutely amazing up+B as his sole recovery. Plenty of risk-reward if that's his only means of returning. To balance I'd hope he'd be given some incredible aerial attacks that deal serious damage; if only to encourage the players to do as Captain Toad does; and risk their life for some delicious rewards.
...this should be page one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just cast a vote for Toad on the ballot... this is what I wrote:

I feel that Mii Fighters do not properly represent Toad as a character but I appreciate the sentiment. I still believe Toad would be an excellent addition to the Smash roster. He would have a fun playstyle that involves picking up enemies and throwing them away like in SMB2 and WW and throwing vegetables at enemies like in SMB2 and CT:TT and using various mushrooms such as Poison, Mega, Golden, and Propeller. It would be nice to have Toadette as an alternate character like how we have boy and girl Villagers. It would also be nice to have Wario's Woods and Treasure Tracker stages.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I'm casting my votes.

Except for Rayman because I did that when the ballot opened.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Currently going through, voting for Toad and Banjo on as many school computers as I can during my lunch and off periods.
End of the ballot is closing in, lets go out strong. Have you voted for Toad today?

End of the ballot is closing in, lets go out strong. Have you voted for Toad today?
I did submit my last two votes, one today using computer and one yesterday using phone... unfortunately, neither of them were for Captain Toad. As much as I like the idea of him in Smash, K. Rool and Dee are my priorities.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I did submit my last two votes, one today using computer and one yesterday using phone... unfortunately, neither of them were for Captain Toad. As much as I like the idea of him in Smash, K. Rool and Dee are my priorities.
You could vote on your Wii, Wii U, or 3ds! Don't forget about them.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well it isn't Captain Toad.
Pretty damn much folks. I think Captain Toad's pretty much a firm form of "The Toad" we should go for today.

In short, if this was Captain Toad (Down to backpack + headlamp), the we should be worried a tad more. Also, IIRC didn't we have Toad Hat before all this?

Top Bottom