• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Indeed, female theme and magical theme are definitely ones they could have done earlier as well.
I was just going exclude the "All Female Theme" considering that it feels like a no brainer theme that they can choose and somehow it hasn't been done yet, it might be because I mistakenly remember that there's a spirit event relating to female spirits in the game.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Besides, there is really no better candidate for a female theme than Reimu, given the nature of Touhou's cast.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I just had a thought for Touhou 17.5:

For every non-SHMUP entry, we've had at least one or more unique characters that debut there. IaMP with Suika, SWR with Tenshi and Iku, Hopeless Masquerade for Kokoro, ULiL for Sumireko, and AoCF for the Yorigami Sisters. So...who do you think might be the new character this time around?

Well, for me, the answer is simple: I think it's an ikuchi, a species of youkai who like to sink ships, much like Murasa. More specifically, an ikuchi does this by expelling oil from their bodies onto the boat. And that black water seems an awful lot like oil to me...

Based on who is involved and how the story goes, I'm willing to bet that Kanako realized that Utsuho's nuclear power is causing too much heat in the underground, and so sought to find a sort of coolant or cooling force. She runs into an ikuchi and grants it the power to counteract the Yatagarasu's power. This in turn causes the ikuchi to generate the black water that is flooding Gensokyo, all while being contained in that large machine that we see in the trailer revealing Kanako and Yamame.

In short, it's another MORIYA SHRINE CONSPIRACY

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just correcting my previous comment on Sephiroth. Apparently, Sephiroth is actually lightweight so they deliberately chose to put this event before his release.
...how long before his release?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the lightweight event was on October 5th, 2020, just a couple days after Steve was released. Sephiroth was technically released December 17th, and formally released December 22nd. So 73 or 78 days depending on views.
So... maybe this was intentional? Maybe our next fighter WILL use projectiles?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So... maybe this was intentional? Maybe our next fighter WILL use projectiles?
That...doesn't really narrow it down, tbh. I mean, we've already got a metric bang-ton of candidates that use projectiles already. For all we know, it could be Crash with that Wumpa Fruit Bazooka from Crash 3. Or, I dunno, KOS-MOS with that big-arse-nal of guns she has in her possession.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Rie, you might be on the right track here: maybe it's not specifically that they will use projectiles, but more like they have absolute craptons of projectiles to work with, very much in the spirit of Touhou Project. I mean, Hero is the most projectile-heavy character with 9 projectiles thanks to Command Selection, with Mega Man being close behind with 7. If Reimu does make it into Smash Bros, she'd have a ridiculous amount of projectiles true to her source material.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That...doesn't really narrow it down, tbh. I mean, we've already got a metric bang-ton of candidates that use projectiles already. For all we know, it could be Crash with that Wumpa Fruit Bazooka from Crash 3. Or, I dunno, KOS-MOS with that big-arse-nal of guns she has in her possession.
The next fighter is the Summoner from Fire Emblem Heroes. For his neutral special, he shoots a projectile Marth at you.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So you know how all we have left in terms of Mii Costumes is the Monster Hunters and Lloyd?

Am I the only one here who thinks that the Monster Hunter costumes would come with a potential Reimu challenger pack? Think about it for a moment: Reimu's job is youkai extermination. In Monster Hunter, your job is to...well, hunt down monsters. You think this'll be the case?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So you know how all we have left in terms of Mii Costumes is the Monster Hunters and Lloyd?

Am I the only one here who thinks that the Monster Hunter costumes would come with a potential Reimu challenger pack? Think about it for a moment: Reimu's job is youkai extermination. In Monster Hunter, your job is to...well, hunt down monsters. You think this'll be the case?
Maybe?
I also expect a Crewmate (Among Us) and Hollow Knight costume with her

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Possibly, though I think a Reimu pack would largely focus on Touhou characters. There's more than enough to cover them, and most DLC packs are usually themed around their respective fighter, with the exceptions being Banjo and Byleth (And to a lesser extent, Min Min and Steve). Maybe throw in a couple other doujin-centric series, like Fate. Kinda like how Terry was largely SNK, but also brought in other fighting game Miis.

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
An Among Us Crewmate Deluxe mii fighter costume would be hilarious.

Make it so!
Eh... I get that it has been flavor of the month like Fall Guys were everyone was memeing it and such... But that kinda makes it much more tacky. It's like asking for Baldi or Hello Neighbour Mii outfits. If you want Mii's for Reimu, I would think atleast Marisa and Cirno outfit and hair for more Touhou and then some more minorly popular ideas like Andy from Advanced Wars and Jinbanyan from Yokai Watch and then something Indie and Famous like Castle Crashers.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Nabbing from KOS-MOS thread:
I wouldn't put much stock in a random 5chan leak, honestly. When actually credible leakers only let some stuff out a couple weeks in advance, I highly doubt someone would be able to leak the entire pass, especially at that point. The only things that are going for it is Sephiroth - Who was predicted by a couple people already, like one of the dudes Verge cited in Seven Squares and StormYorha (Who isn't even an insider, mind you) - And no Miis coming back, whice every other person and their mom have been calling since Gil. There's been some pretty decent rumors, even if they were ultimately fake, but this isn't one of them.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I wouldn't put much stock in a random 5chan leak, honestly. When actually credible leakers only let some stuff out a couple weeks in advance, I highly doubt someone would be able to leak the entire pass, especially at that point. The only things that are going for it is Sephiroth - Who was predicted by a couple people already, like one of the dudes Verge cited in Seven Squares and StormYorha (Who isn't even an insider, mind you) - And no Miis coming back, whice every other person and their mom have been calling since Gil. There's been some pretty decent rumors, even if they were ultimately fake, but this isn't one of them.
Vergeben didn't exactly predict them, just that he heard those names in the Seven Squares leak. Also, I honestly think StormYorha's fanart getting Sephiroth right was just a coincidence. It almost seems more like a visual wishlist than an actual leak. And just like you said, he's not an insider, either. We should all keep in mind that in spite of those two factors, Sephiroth was the most UNSAFE CHARACTER ANYBODY CAN EVER PREDICT. If that 5chan leak was brought up before Sephiroth was revealed, we'd have written it off because, let's be honest, we weren't ones to think Square would come back and fix its FF representation in the slightest. Furthermore, the idea of existing 3rd party franchises getting not just a villain, but a fully unique character, FOR FINAL FANTASY NO LESS, was utterly brushed aside in a time where we were focused on adding more franchises like Touhou or Crash. If this leak got Sephiroth on the head, then I personally refuse to believe that's not a coincidence. I understand if you're wary of it, but to me, Sephiroth's more of a big factor for how true this leak might be than many people let in on.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Vergeben didn't exactly predict them, just that he heard those names in the Seven Squares leak. Also, I honestly think StormYorha's fanart getting Sephiroth right was just a coincidence. It almost seems more like a visual wishlist than an actual leak. And just like you said, he's not an insider, either. We should all keep in mind that in spite of those two factors, Sephiroth was the most UNSAFE CHARACTER ANYBODY CAN EVER PREDICT. If that 5chan leak was brought up before Sephiroth was revealed, we'd have written it off because, let's be honest, we weren't ones to think Square would come back and fix its FF representation in the slightest. Furthermore, the idea of existing 3rd party franchises getting not just a villain, but a fully unique character, FOR FINAL FANTASY NO LESS, was utterly brushed aside in a time where we were focused on adding more franchises like Touhou or Crash. If this leak got Sephiroth on the head, then I personally refuse to believe that's not a coincidence. I understand if you're wary of it, but to me, Sephiroth's more of a big factor for how true this leak is then many people let in on.
Unsafe by our standards, but not everyone is on SmashBoards, and not everyone uses our way of speculation. Sure, he might not seem obvious to us, but someone is bound to predict the most iconic JRPG villain of all time. I have a hard time seeing that Sephiroth is the single most unsafe character period when there's stuff like Sony, a bunch of Microsoft stuff that still isn't considered, a lot of indies, many obscure but influential old characters, etc. He was a shocker, but when SSBU is big enough to have over 20 million copies sold, someone's bound to guess him. You can't apply SmashBoards speculation standards to everyone.

And the source is... Anonymous. Nothing to back them up. Yeah, completely trustworthy. General rule of thumb, most textboard leaks are fake 99.9% of the time, and chances are this one's no different. Besides, there's a bunch of leaks that called things right back FP2, then fell flat. There was Doomguy, Monster Hunter, Hayabusa, and KOS-MOS; Each leak had called everyone up to that point, even Hero over Erdrick or Luminary, and then nothing. Just because a "leak" gets something right doesn't mean it's instantly credible.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Unsafe by our standards, but not everyone is on SmashBoards, and not everyone uses our way of speculation. Sure, he might not seem obvious to us, but someone is bound to predict the most iconic JRPG villain of all time. I have a hard time seeing that Sephiroth is the single most unsafe character period when there's stuff like Sony, a bunch of Microsoft stuff that still isn't considered, a lot of indies, many obscure but influential old characters, etc. He was a shocker, but when SSBU is big enough to have over 20 million copies sold, someone's bound to guess him. You can't apply SmashBoards speculation standards to everyone.

And the source is... Anonymous. Nothing to back them up. Yeah, completely trustworthy. General rule of thumb, most textboard leaks are fake 99.9% of the time, and chances are this one's no different. Besides, there's a bunch of leaks that called things right back FP2, then fell flat. There was Doomguy, Monster Hunter, Hayabusa, and KOS-MOS; Each leak had called everyone up to that point, even Hero over Erdrick or Luminary, and then nothing. Just because a "leak" gets something right doesn't mean it's instantly credible.
I mean I understand Seph makes sense in hindsight. Believe me, I was the one who started the Seph thread here. But that's it. It makes sense in hindsight. If you had people guess a third Square rep, lots of them were still on the train that said square was stingy. If not that, they would probably bet on Geno. You had a few people saying Neku or something from Bravely Default might be pushed, but a lot of people were relatively skeptical. Sephiroth honestly was far from a safe choice to put in a rumor, which makes it get even a shred of credibility.

While text leaks are often wrong, there always exists a few that do end up being right. The number usually is extremely small, but text leaks been proven right in the past. I think the main reason this one has caught on is precisely because Seph is kind of a left field pick. The telling thing for this rumor is that it has no wiggle room. If Crash Reimu or KOS MOS is not the next character it is dead.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean I understand Seph makes sense in hindsight. Believe me, I was the one who started the Seph thread here. But that's it. It makes sense in hindsight. If you had people guess a third Square rep, lots of them were still on the train that said square was stingy. If not that, they would probably bet on Geno. You had a few people saying Neku or something from Bravely Default might be pushed, but a lot of people were relatively skeptical. Sephiroth honestly was far from a safe choice to put in a rumor, which makes it get even a shred of credibility.

While text leaks are often wrong, there always exists a few that do end up being right. The number usually is extremely small, but text leaks been proven right in the past. I think the main reason this one has caught on is precisely because Seph is kind of a left field pick. The telling thing for this rumor is that it has no wiggle room. If Crash Reimu or KOS MOS is not the next character it is dead.
And considering Activision's implying there's more coming for Crash this year, as well as Crash 4 being announced for Switch just recently, we might just see this leak live on for a little longer. Here's what we've got so far:

• The Five Year Plan: This needs no introduction. Everything in the past 5 years has lined up swimmingly with this list. All that's left is this year, which is supposedly the year we get our "Crash crossover for Smash".
  • Nintendo's Acknowledgement: With Nintendo saying on two separate occasions that Crash is a gaming icon, they know how important he is.
  • And the recently-announced Crash 4 Switch port, as mentioned before.

If Crash does get announced for Challenger Pack 9, hope's gonna smile on us Reimu supporters.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if Crash is next, it does nothing in favor of that leak, it will only not kill it. Crash is the most guessable character to get in, even though he could very well not happen, he is still one of the most likely.

In my opinion, the only reason for Crash not being in the game at the end of FP2 would be because Activision is notoriously greedy so they might not agree with Nintendo about how to split DLC profit, and this is actually quite likely to happen. This probably happened to other characters without us knowing, there is already the rumour that says Hero was not in base game because SE wanted too much of base game sales profit. And remember Crash wasn't included in playstation all stars, I wonder why...

This is why I wouldn't really bet on Crash despite being one the most likely, or at least one of the most deserving. Actually, I believe it's harder than ever to bet on anyone because there are so many characters who are quite likely but at the same time not too much likely for different reasons.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Touhou 15.5 Antimony of Common Flowers coming to PS4 and Switch in Spring this year.

Edit: Also in other news, Genso SkyDrift is coming to PS4 on March 9.
Alice and Rin as well as 2 new courses will be added in an update.

The PV is also a reference to Gran Turismo openings, lol.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Touhou 15.5 Antimony of Common Flowers coming to PS4 and Switch in Spring this year.

Finally, about time! I hope there's an online feature.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

For Genso SkyDrift on Switch, will they add Alice and Rin in an update too? I have the switch version...

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

When they announced AoCF for PS4, they said that they'll release for Switch as well but AFTER the for PS4's release and confirmed that the actual development for Switch wasn't even started yet.
And now we got the confirmation of simultaneous release, so I hope this means something. ;)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

So Rin is in the game, but still no Okuu? BLASPHEMY!

So, 15.5 the first main line touhou game on the switch?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So Rin is in the game, but still no Okuu? BLASPHEMY!

So, 15.5 the first main line touhou game on the switch?
It would appear so. Whether or not it gets an official worldwide release remains to be seen tho

GolisoPower

Smash Master

About time we get a release something for 15.5! Hope we get an Indie World soon for a specific release!

Also, you don't suppose we'll get an extra pair of characters for these ports that'll come to PC later on, do ya? Like, I'm kinda imagining them announcing Yuugi and Suika together or something. Or maybe Keiki and Yacchie because they were the most recent. I mean, they've done that with Reisen in ULiL, right?

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

Have they said anything about an international release? And is this digital only or is there a physical release as well?

Top Bottom