• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Talking about Touhou music more broadly, it never ceases to impress me with how good it is. Sure, you could argue it's held up beyond it's measure by a sizeable community of remixers, but I think that undersells ZUN's original compositions. For a self taught composer he's got an impressive ear for coming up with tunes that are both catchy and technically impressive, even if he does borrow musical ideas from time to time. Not only that, it's impressive, to me at least, that he's been able to maintain that level of output for ~20 years and ~20 games. Maybe that's to be expected among established games composers in the industry, but at least that should mean ZUN ranks alongside the other household names (basically, all the people who make tracks for smash lol).

Maybe the order ends up being controversial, but I've made a ranking of the best osts in the series:

On the whole, I think most of the games in the series have music that's not only above average but downright excellent. The ones near the top have iconic track after iconic track, it's kinda unreal how many hits in a row some of these games have when you sit down and look at them. IMO, there isn't a single track in IN that isn't great. And even at their weakest, Touhou osts aren't unpleasant to listen to, and there still are a handful of great songs. Probably the only exception is HRtP; maybe it's because it's the first in the series, but it's the most meh overall, even if there are still some good songs in it.

idk, there's so much good music and it's seemingly so easy to get ahold of, even with 50 tracks to match Terry I'm sure there'd be glaring omissions. Quick math: only counting stage and character themes, you've got 14 for 6-17 (except 9), plus the Phantasm stage in PCB and the alternate themes in stage 4 and 6 in IN for a total of 144. Then you have to add in the PC98 games, the fighting games, the other official spin-offs, and the menu & ending themes, and the total approaches, what, around 200? probably more than that. Even accepting a lot of those tracks probably aren't of the caliber to be included in smash, you probably would whittle the list down to 80 or 100 and even then start marking tough decisions. I'd give it a try, but, uh, busy atm, maybe later lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Talking about Touhou music more broadly, it never ceases to impress me with how good it is. Sure, you could argue it's held up beyond it's measure by a sizeable community of remixers, but I think that undersells ZUN's original compositions. For a self taught composer he's got an impressive ear for coming up with tunes that are both catchy and technically impressive, even if he does borrow musical ideas from time to time. Not only that, it's impressive, to me at least, that he's been able to maintain that level of output for ~20 years and ~20 games. Maybe that's to be expected among established games composers in the industry, but at least that should mean ZUN ranks alongside the other household names (basically, all the people who make tracks for smash lol).

Maybe the order ends up being controversial, but I've made a ranking of the best osts in the series:

On the whole, I think most of the games in the series have music that's not only above average but downright excellent. The ones near the top have iconic track after iconic track, it's kinda unreal how many hits in a row some of these games have when you sit down and look at them. IMO, there isn't a single track in IN that isn't great. And even at their weakest, Touhou osts aren't unpleasant to listen to, and there still are a handful of great songs. Probably the only exception is HRtP; maybe it's because it's the first in the series, but it's the most meh overall, even if there are still some good songs in it.

idk, there's so much good music and it's seemingly so easy to get ahold of, even with 50 tracks to match Terry I'm sure there'd be glaring omissions. Quick math: only counting stage and character themes, you've got 14 for 6-17 (except 9), plus the Phantasm stage in PCB and the alternate themes in stage 4 and 6 in IN for a total of 144. Then you have to add in the PC98 games, the fighting games, the other official spin-offs, and the menu & ending themes, and the total approaches, what, around 200? probably more than that. Even accepting a lot of those tracks probably aren't of the caliber to be included in smash, you probably would whittle the list down to 80 or 100 and even then start marking tough decisions. I'd give it a try, but, uh, busy atm, maybe later lol.
Yeeeeeeeah boi. :shades:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Hi.
Taito appeared in Smash since Sm4sh, but there is no representation of Space Invaders, which I consider curious. In three DLC, the Squenix newcomers didn't contribute any Taito Costume. I wondered if Taito could appear, then I discovered a little proximity between Zun and Taito. That's why I hope a Space Invaders mask can appear as a Mii Costume content with Reimu Hakurei as a fighter. Good luck to her, I support.

Taito to Touhou
• Taito sells Touhou goodies.
• Zun was employed for 9 years at Taito.
• Reimu and Yuyuko apeared as guests in Lord of Vermillion, a game on Taito Arcade system.*
• Zun refers to Space Invaders in Touhou Seirensen Star Lotus Ship ~ Undefined Fantastic Object.*
• Taito rep and Touhou rep met in the games Magic Pengel and Graffiti Kingdom.*
• Taito made the fangame Touhou Spell Bubble.
• Touhou participates a lot in the Groove Coaster series.
groovy invader.png

• Zun agrees that Zuntata, Taito's sound team (unrelated to Zun) remix songs. Zuntata (Cosio, Masaki...) also made six music remixes in Ultimate: Kapp'n's Song, The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley, Wii Shop Channel (Remix), Staff Credits - Kirby's Dream Land, We Are Robots (Dr.Wily Stage 2) and Splattack! (Remix).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Hi.
Taito appeared in Smash since Sm4sh, but there is no representation of Space Invaders, which I consider curious. In three DLC, the Squenix newcomers didn't contribute any Taito Costume. I wondered if Taito could appear, then I discovered a little proximity between Zun and Taito. That's why I hope a Space Invaders mask can appear as a Mii Costume content with Reimu Hakurei as a fighter. Good luck to her, I support.
Space Invaders could be another deluxe mii costume.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hi.

Taito to Touhou
• Taito sells Touhou goodies.
• Zun was employed for 9 years at Taito.
• Reimu and Yuyuko apeared as guests in Lord of Vermillion, a game on Taito Arcade system.*
• Zun refers to Space Invaders in Touhou Seirensen Star Lotus Ship ~ Undefined Fantastic Object.*
• Taito rep and Touhou rep met in the games Magic Pengel and Graffiti Kingdom.*
• Taito made the fangame Touhou Spell Bubble.
• Touhou participates a lot in the Groove Coaster series. View attachment 296954
• Zun agrees that Zuntata, Taito's sound team (unrelated to Zun) remix songs. Zuntata (Cosio, Masaki...) also made six music remixes in Ultimate: Kapp'n's Song, The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley, Wii Shop Channel (Remix), Staff Credits - Kirby's Dream Land, We Are Robots (Dr.Wily Stage 2) and Splattack! (Remix).
On the topic of Taito

(Around 9 Minute mark)

The people behind Bubble Bobble had a "No Comment" Regarding Bubble Bobble in Smash. Now granted this doesn't automatically mean they have presence in the game, but it doesn't deconfirm presence either.

In any case, If they wanted to reference the Relation between Zun and Taito, this no comment thing could point to that sort of thing happening, if Reimu is in of course

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
oh crap

you know what i just realized

we haven't had a single indie mii costume with any fighters this pass.

the only ones we've had so far are Sans with Terry Banjo and Cuphead with Byleth in pass 1

what if Reimu comes with a frick ton of indie costumes???

including the Hollow Knight costume from the LoL rumor and/or Among Us Crewmate

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
oh crap

the only ones we've had so far are Sans with Terry and Cuphead with Byleth in pass 1

I take it this doesn't include Travis as an indie

Cause if not, this is true. Between a character like Shovel Knight that already has Model ingame, Hollow Knight who's popular indie in same vain as Sans and Cuphead, Shantae who's popular with Nintendo crowd and Matt is being silent on her being in Smash (in some form), and Five Nights at Freddy's, which is also very Iconic and popular indie Franchise, there still alot of candidates for Indie costume or presence we haven't seen

The other thing though is that I Imagine around half of Reimu's Hypothetical Mii Pack would be based of her Franchise. Granted Banjo came with none, but most of the other DLC Franchises did. I guess also something to consider is will her pack also contain any Returning costumes? There is at least one Fighter Pack that will contain no Returning costumes since Monster Hunter will come as a Set, and Lloyd in another pack, leaving 1 pack to have Entirely new costumes. I could see Reimu being this if she was in

I personally think her costume set would be half Touhou/Half Indie, but I don't imagine that every indie Costume in FP2 would be included with her, but I could see most of them come with her. yes

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace

A few weeks ago I've done a ranking of every song from the mainline Windows games. Afterwards I calculated their average placement and ranked them all in a big tier list. Even though I immediately regretted some decisions I think this still ended up as a pretty accurate representation of my taste.
osttierlist.png

touhousongsortpart1.JPG
touhousongsortpart2.JPG
Most unpopular opinions are probably LoLK and SA being as low as they are as well as having TD in top tier but I absolutely fell in love with this game's music after grinding for the 1cc.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I personally think her costume set would be half Touhou/Half Indie, but I don't imagine that every indie Costume in FP2 would be included with her, but I could see most of them come with her. yes
For example we could get mii costumes of:
  • Marisa
  • Remilia
  • Flandre
  • Shantae
  • Freddy Fazbear
  • Bendy (Bendy and the Ink Machine)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I take it this doesn't include Travis as an indie

Cause if not, this is true. Between a character like Shovel Knight that already has Model ingame, Hollow Knight who's popular indie in same vain as Sans and Cuphead, Shantae who's popular with Nintendo crowd and Matt is being silent on her being in Smash (in some form), and Five Nights at Freddy's, which is also very Iconic and popular indie Franchise, there still alot of candidates for Indie costume or presence we haven't seen

The other thing though is that I Imagine around half of Reimu's Hypothetical Mii Pack would be based of her Franchise. Granted Banjo came with none, but most of the other DLC Franchises did. I guess also something to consider is will her pack also contain any Returning costumes? There is at least one Fighter Pack that will contain no Returning costumes since Monster Hunter will come as a Set, and Lloyd in another pack, leaving 1 pack to have Entirely new costumes. I could see Reimu being this if she was in

I'm counting Travis as Marvelous/Grasshopper Manufacture, not indie. no Minecraft content counts as indie either to me

if the KOS-MOS/Reimu/Crash rumor is true also, then Lloyd could return with KOS-MOS and the two MonHun armors with Crash for lack of someone better to drop them with i guess

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
For example we could get mii costumes of:
  • Marisa
  • Remilia
  • Flandre
  • Shantae
  • Freddy Fazbear
  • Bendy (Bendy and the Ink Machine)
Bendy would be the closet thing to having Mickey Mouse in the game, so I'll take it

But personally, I honestly don't see Bendy though, which is kind of a Shame

Everyone else I do see though. I also Assume Freddy would be premium perhaps

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
oh crap

the only ones we've had so far are Sans with Terry Banjo and Cuphead with Byleth in pass 1

I think I'm with 7NATOR on this one, Reimu probably would come with some Indie characters from other series, but plenty of Touhou characters are iconic indies in their own right and should be included.

A few weeks ago I've done a ranking of every song from the mainline Windows games. Afterwards I calculated their average placement and ranked them all in a big tier list. Even though I immediately regretted some decisions I think this still ended up as a pretty accurate representation of my taste.
View attachment 296977
Most unpopular opinions are probably LoLK and SA being as low as they are as well as having TD in top tier but I absolutely fell in love with this game's music after grinding for the 1cc.
I was waiting for a TD respecter to challenge my placing. I do think it has some great songs, but especially in their original compositions they're kinda forgettable for me. What's kinda surprising though is, in my experience, people who like TD seem to dislike DDC and visa versa, but you've rated both highly.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Bendy would be the closet thing to having Mickey Mouse in the game, so I'll take it

But personally, I honestly don't see Bendy though, which is kind of a Shame

Everyone else I do see though. I also Assume Freddy would be premium perhaps
Both Freddy Fazbear and Bendy would be deluxe mii costumes. Both could also come with additional music tracks.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I do wonder tho what design Reimu would use

ZUN’s policy for non-Touhou games is you can’t use assets directly from the mainline games right? I imagine that includes her usual official designs. Maybe basing her design off one of her Figmas?
I think that was you can't rip a sprite from the offical games to place in your new one. As this will be most likely a 3d model, Sakurai can make it based on any design reimu has had and it would be fine, as the model itself is made from scratch

oh crap

As someone said, you could count travis as a Indie, but you can say we have't had a single deluxe Indie costume this pass. And if we got a Indie rep, I feel their pass would have a bunch of Indie mii fighters, outside of the 2-3 ones tied to the characters being released.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
On the previous subject of music, Everytime I try to list songs from Touhou I want in Smash, there's always a point where I say "Dammit! I missed Song X, Y and Z!" There's just sooo many good ones that it's hard to even try to limit it. lol.

As for Travis, I really wouldn't classify him as indie. Marvelous is a pretty damn big company and they've been the publisher for No More Heroes with the only exception of Travis Strikes Again which technically was an indie game (At least for the Switch).

No, official assets in fan games is the sticking point. Most fan games stick pretty close to Reimu's typical outfit. Though, Reimu's outfit is changed, if only slightly, in basically every game so "standard design" has a bit of wiggle room. Sakurai would probably keep it very close to the official games.

Though, would ZUN's "no official assets" rule affect whether spirits get into the game? Probably not. The rule's likely there to stop people from being too lazy with their fangames, in the context of Smash I'd guess ZUN would understand what spirits are and be ok with it. Still worth considering ig, if only to dismiss the thought.
This makes me wonder, where/when did the midriff become a popular design for her in fan works? I know she's never had an outfit like that in the official games.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I think I'm with 7NATOR on this one, Reimu probably would come with some Indie characters from other series, but plenty of Touhou characters are iconic indies in their own right and should be included.

I was waiting for a TD respecter to challenge my placing. I do think it has some great songs, but especially in their original compositions they're kinda forgettable for me. What's kinda surprising though is, in my experience, people who like TD seem to dislike DDC and visa versa, but you've rated both highly.
I really like them both but for different reasons. TD just nails the atmosphere, the stage songs especially do such a great job at setting the mood. How could someone not imagine Kyouko doing her morning duties with Welcome to Youkai Temple playing in the background? DDC on the other hand has just plain banging boss music.
Funnily enough I really disliked both OSTs when the games were new because of how different they sounded from everything else in the series. Definitely took some time for them to grow on me.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
For me, Night Sakura of Dead Spirits (TD stage 1) is probably the best song from the entire series - or, at the very least, my favorite. It conveys this wonderful sense of adventure, beauty, atmosphere (like you said!) and a bit of melancholy. The Spirit World version of the track is beautiful too. I’m always surprised to not see it listed higher in the polls.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
If I were to use this reference image to make a Smashified amalgamation of Reimu I'd say it'll be like this:
  • IN as the base design
  • Skirt pattern based on LoLK
  • Scarf and collar based on Kourindou
Personally though I bet that Reimu is one of those character who will have a fairly original design while still sticking to her usual element of clothing like Roy and even Snake. It also perfectly go in line with her constant change of clothing in every official media she's been in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So aside from Luna Nights what other 2hu spin-offs on switch do y’all recommend? I saw that there’s an RPG on the eshop, is it good?

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
So aside from Luna Nights what other 2hu spin-offs on switch do y’all recommend? I saw that there’s an RPG on the eshop, is it good?
Spell Bubble (a puzzle game akin to Bubble Bobble) has a demo if you feel like trying it out. Personally I feel the main game is too expensive but the demo is pretty fun. Can't say I tried others on switch myself but I often hear of Genso Wanderer and Azure Reflections.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Haven't played it myself yet but Touhou Gensou Skydrift is currently on sale. It's a racing game similar to Double Dash.
And although it's not on Switch I can highly suggest Touhou Puppet Dance Performance if you're a Pokemon fan. My favorite fangame out there probably.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Genso Wanderer is pretty good it's like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games in terms of genre and it can be a bit difficult at times but that might have just been me.
Even if it isn't on the Switch I will also agree that Puppet Dance Performance is really good despite some difficulty spike problems I had with it.

Narp

Smash Cadet
Yoiyami Dreamer and Yoiyami Dancers are currently Japanese-only. They are both cute (and hard) as heck games featuring Rumia, and most of the story in the former is non-verbal anyway. Dreamer is like some kind of Bubble Bobble/Snow Bros/Saboten Bombers arcade game. Dancers is a rhythm bullet hell game, think Necrodancer meets Touhou.

And I will also vouch for Gensou Skydrift. It's a slightly janky but really fun Double Dash clone.

Outside of the Switch, here are some other recommendations:

The Koumajou Densetsu games are classic Castlevania clones with an amazing aesthetic, and they're pretty darn challenging. There are even a few figures by Ques Q that use the games' character designs.

Youyou Kengeki Musou and Scarlet Curiosity. The first is like a mid-2000s Ys game with Youmu, the second's a sequel with more of its own identity and two main characters, Remilia and Sakuya. Kinda easy to cheese the bosses in Scarlet Curiosity though.

Tempest of the Heavens and Earth is a 2D stylish action platformer game featuring Tenshi. It also borrows the weather gimmick from SWR to make each stage unique.

Puppet Dance Performance, as mentioned, is basically a really good Pokémon game. I've only played the rebalanced expanded version, and the difficulty felt just right. The post-game content is also one heck of a challenge. Feels like what Pokémon could have been if it matured along with its original audience.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really need to get better with SKydrift. Love the idea but I cannot figure out how to best control it...

Haven't played it myself yet but Touhou Gensou Skydrift is currently on sale. It's a racing game similar to Double Dash.
And although it's not on Switch I can highly suggest Touhou Puppet Dance Performance if you're a Pokemon fan. My favorite fangame out there probably.
Are they still supporting the game or is it complete?

EDIT: Brought up in the KOS-MOS thread but wanted to ask here. If Reimu is in smash, will she be voiced in Just Japanese, or both Japanese and English? And who would you like to voice her?

I don't know Japanese VA's off the top of my head sadly, but for english her voiced by CHristina Vee would be amazing

Last edited:

sessian

Smash Rookie
The only issue I had with Puppet Dance Performance was the map design sometimes got too pointlessly mazelike in dungeons. Places like SDM, Forest of Magic etc have a lot of nested branching paths with really samey visuals, and not much reward for exploring them.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I really need to get better with SKydrift. Love the idea but I cannot figure out how to best control it...

Are they still supporting the game or is it complete?

EDIT: Brought up in the KOS-MOS thread but wanted to ask here. If Reimu is in smash, will she be voiced in Just Japanese, or both Japanese and English? And who would you like to voice her?

I don't know Japanese VA's off the top of my head sadly, but for english her voiced by CHristina Vee would be amazing
I'd want English VA for whichever lines are voiced. She has no canon JP voice, so there'd be no reason not to dub, and with a character like Reimu who's not very well known in the West, it'd be very important to take every available opportunity to let fans connect with her. English dialogue would go a long way there. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if she would have no actual full lines (kinda like Zelda, for example). Strikes me as the kind of thing Sakurai might do.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
The only issue I had with Puppet Dance Performance was the map design sometimes got too pointlessly mazelike in dungeons. Places like SDM, Forest of Magic etc have a lot of nested branching paths with really samey visuals, and not much reward for exploring them.
I didn't mind this too much honestly. Love exploring huge, open areas with lots of stuff to find. But yeah, I can see why other people would have a problem with this. Former Hell specifically was incredibly confusing to navigate.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Brought up in the KOS-MOS thread but wanted to ask here. If Reimu is in smash, will she be voiced in Just Japanese, or both Japanese and English? And who would you like to voice her?

It's interesting to think about. She's never had an official voice actor, but Touhou characters are pretty talkative. I could at least see her getting some voice grunts. There's also Touhou's largely Japan-centric nature. Maybe she'll speak solely in Japanese to represent that, maybe Sakurai will decide Touhou has enough pull in the Western world to give her an English VA.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
how's Azure Reflections and Sky Arena Matsuri CLIMAX?

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
how's Azure Reflections and Sky Arena Matsuri CLIMAX?
I think most people have brought up the good ones. I'll just add Skydrift is pretty good. There's mild jank, and the visuals leave a little to be desired, but the tight gameplay and fun remixes more than make up for it. It also has local and online multiplayer (though I haven't gotten a chance to try either out :emptysheep:)

Azure Reflections is also a good one people missed. It's a danmaku fangame, but unlike the official Touhou games which are vertical bullet hells, AR is a horizontal shooter, with full 3D models, Japanese VA, and some unique mechanics. These make it rather beginner friendly, while higher difficulties should still provide challenge for experienced players.

Haven't played Sky Arena, or seen it played much really. It's an areal arena fighter, I guess the closest game I could compare it to is DB Xeoverse, but I'm not sure how close a comparison they are. The impression I've gotten is somewhat mixed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think most people have brought up the good ones. I'll just add Skydrift is pretty good. There's mild jank, and the visuals leave a little to be desired, but the tight gameplay and fun remixes more than make up for it. It also has local and online multiplayer (though I haven't gotten a chance to try either out :emptysheep:)

Azure Reflections is also a good one people missed. It's a danmaku fangame, but unlike the official Touhou games which are vertical bullet hells, AR is a horizontal shooter, with full 3D models, Japanese VA, and some unique mechanics. These make it rather beginner friendly, while higher difficulties should still provide challenge for experienced players.

Haven't played Sky Arena, or seen it played much really. It's an areal arena fighter, I guess the closest game I could compare it to is DB Xeoverse, but I'm not sure how close a comparison they are. The impression I've gotten is somewhat mixed.
Since Azure Reflections is on sale I think I’ll go for that

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Brought up in the KOS-MOS thread but wanted to ask here. If Reimu is in smash, will she be voiced in Just Japanese, or both Japanese and English? And who would you like to voice her?
While I'm not against a voice actor, I could also see them taking the voiceless route and have the dialogue boxes pop up for taunts and victory screens (it would be pretty cool if they also included a victory quote for every opponent in the game, though that might be getting my hopes up a bit much ((vs Mario) "You jump pretty high for a human, are you sure you're not a youkai?", (vs Palutena) "A goddess, huh? I wonder where in the myriad gods you fit in...", (vs Reimu) "Isn't it about time you stopped impersonating me, tanooki?", etc).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While I'm not against a voice actor, I could also see them taking the voiceless route and have the dialogue boxes pop up for taunts and victory screens (it would be pretty cool if they also included a victory quote for every opponent in the game, though that might be getting my hopes up a bit much ((vs Mario) "You jump pretty high for a human, are you sure you're not a youkai?", (vs Palutena) "A goddess, huh? I wonder where in the myriad gods you fit in...", (vs Reimu) "Isn't it about time you stopped impersonating me, tanooki?", etc).
If her victory dialogue box against Sephiroth isn’t “Sagume, is that you?!” I’ll be disappointed

Top Bottom